image_1.jpg
image.jpg
image_1.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image_1.jpg
image.jpg
IMG_1370.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider herg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

First, the fun part. What does this do?

It uses signals from the Pinbits/Eli TRON Ramp Lighting kit and synchronizes additional lighting mods to the ramp lights. You can use it to control toppers, speaker lights, undercabinet lighting, ColorDMD, etc. Here's some video of it in action.

I designed this nearly a year ago, but I was never able to offer it as a kit for a few reasons.

1. I was not able to get a good idea of how much interest there was.
2. I did not have the time to get a cost estimate together, so I was unable to set a price.
3. I did not have the time to build boards, and I didn't think there was enough interest to have them outsourced.
4. My game has a beta version Ramp Lighting kit, so I could not be sure it worked with the production version.
5. My game only has a ColorDMD, no lighting mods.

Recently, however, Nelly contacted me about wanting to build one himself. In short order, he had his working, and it's the one shown in the videos above. That solved questions 4 and 5.

Over the past few days, I have put some estimates together, and we have settled at a price of $50 for the controller board. You will still need a power supply and cabling for your lighting mods, but all of that is either available elsewhere or easy to make. We will explain this more later.

We would now like to get a good idea of how much interest there is. In order to make this work, we really need solid numbers, so please don't commit to one if you don't really want it. If you want one, please send a PM either to me or Nelly. Soon, we will set a cutoff date for commitments so that we can start building.

Nelly has offered to handbuild a small quantity, but if it turns out that the numbers are high enough, I will handle outsourcing them.

#2 9 years ago

Here's picture of what you'd be getting. The price will be $50.
377975.jpg377975.jpg

See the two connectors on the left, J4 and J5? Those are compatible with existing LED strips, and they work basically the same as the LED controllers you get with speaker lights, toppers, etc. It will replace controllers like the one in the picture below, and it can control the same types of devices.
20120614113437.jpg20120614113437.jpg

If you look at the video above, you will see that during Light Cycle Multiball, the colors alternate blue and yellow. Nelly has his topper and ColorDMD connected to one of the outputs and his speaker lights and topper to the other. You have the option of doing something similar. If all you have is speaker lights, you could hook the left one to J4 and the right one to J5, and the speaker lights would alternate out of sync with one another. Basically, you get to choose how you connect your lighting to the two outputs.

If you are connecting a ColorDMD, you can buy the "ColorDMD SIGMA / Speaker Light Kit Interface Cable" from http://www.speakerlightkits.com/Accessories.html or you can build your own cable.

#3 9 years ago

This drawing is an attempt to show some options for how this can be hooked up. Cable (1) is the ColorDMD cable that is available at SpeakerLightKits.com. Cable (2) is a "standard" splitter that is available from many places, including Amazon.com.

unnamed.jpgunnamed.jpg

The difficulty in putting together a kit comes from all the options. Since we don't know what you'll have hooked up to it, we don't know what splitters and extension cables you'll need. Also, depending on how many mods you have hooked up, you might be able to use the game's 12V, or you may need an external power supply.

Links to some sources for the cables. You might also want to talk to Nelly, since he has more experience with the cabling than I do.
(1) http://www.speakerlightkits.com/Accessories.html
(2) Just one option, this may be available cheaper elsewhere. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0077IPRAG/ref=s9_psimh_gw_p60_d0_i5

Extension http://www.amazon.com/Escolite-Extension-cable-strip-3-3ft/dp/B00RMUS31Y/ref=sr_1_10

NOTE: DugFreez has notified me that the pinout of different LED strips can cause the colors to be in a different order. We assume +GRB with the current firmware, and that's the order that DugFreez has kept all of his speaker lights and toppers. Mods from other vendors might have a different pinout and would need to be compensated for by rearranging the cables or a different firmware load on this board.

NOTE 2: It seems you also need two connectors for speaker lights, so I squished another splitter into the picture.

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I assume ColorDMD does not plan on colorizing this game then?

From what I understand, it is in progress, but this mod is not limited to ColorDMD. Even after there is a multi-color ROM for TRON, this will be able to flash speaker lights, toppers, undercabinet lighting, etc. You don't even have to have a ColorDMD installed to use it.

#7 9 years ago

I've added your name to the list.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from Nelly:

We could've offered a power cable along with the kit but that would've added to the price and we are trying to keep the price point down.

Plus, if you already have a power supply for your speaker lights or topper, you may be able to use it instead of buying a new one. If you're only using a ColorDMD, you can borrow power from the game using a simple cable. If you have a ton of lights like Nelly, you will need a pretty big supply. One size does not fit all here, and we don't want to force people to buy a big supply that they don't need.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

Hope this can be done for the LE too!

This particular implementation requires the Pinbits/Eli ramp lighting. I'm not sure if the LE could be fitted with that, but if so, and you were crazy enough to actually swap out the ramp lighting, this mod would work.

I also thought there was an LE synchronization mod at one point. Maybe I'm wrong.

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

you never posted a price

It was pretty well hidden, but it is in the first post.

Quoted from herg:

we have settled at a price of $50 for the controller board

I beleive I read in the other thread about this that it costs you $20 and you would be selling at $50?

$20 is probably pretty close for parts, but that doesn't include the boards or assembly. If Nelly assembles them, all the profit will go to him to pay his slave wages. If I end up having them outsourced, there won't be any profit.

I might take a few if they would work with other games.

Sorry, but no, they will only work with Tron with the Pinbits/Eli ramp kit installed; no other games.

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from EightBitWhit:

Yep - I'm definitely interested!

Quoted from LilRocky:

I'd be game for one!

Added both of you to the list.

Nelly, since it looks like we're not going to hit the number of boards for outsourcing them, I'll let you decide when to set the cutoff date for commitments.

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

Any chance you can/will offer the PCBs for sale and provide the BOM for anyone who wants to put this together on their own?

Yes, I posted that a while back in the original thread.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-color-changing-tron-pinbits-eli-ramps-integration/page/2#post-1852625

You can purchase the boards from OSHPark, though they require you to order in multiples of 3. Also, the BOM is a bit rough. Nelly has said that he will help by providing info on what he ordered.

1 month later
#52 8 years ago

I know what I'll be doing tonight

Eating Skittles?

#58 8 years ago

This board only works with the Pinbits ramp kit, so it's just for the Pro. Sorry.

#61 8 years ago

This is why I agree with a deposit on pre order mods.

It's typical. When I was keeping pre-order lists for OCD stuff, I saw about a 20% dropout rate.

With those, it was more understandable. They cost more, and more time passed between when they pre-ordered and I finished them.

It looks like Nelly will be able to sell the ones he has remaining, though.

2 months later
#73 8 years ago

$50 really is basically zero profit, and if Purple were to do it in Canada, it would cost more.

I'm sorry I cannot help, but I'm already so busy, I'm lucky to play a dozen games a week.

1 week later
#100 8 years ago

That apron mod looks really cool. I'm really tempted to want one for my own game, but I'm trying to limit the projects I get involved in so that I can spend more time playing.

3 weeks later
#115 8 years ago
Quoted from SuperPinball:

Can a TRON LE have its stock ramp lighting replaced with ELI mod and then use this product?

I don't really know. It would be a question for Eli. If the ramp lighting works with the LE, this would also work.

#134 8 years ago

This is the first mod I've ever shipped out and it was frankly a lot more work than one thinks

Everyone should try it at least once.

Quoted from Pinzzz:

Now where can I get some under cabinet lighting that will plug into this.

I'm not sure if this is the cheapest available, but you can't beat $12 by much.
http://www.amazon.com/SUPERNIGHT-Waterproof-300LEDs-Changing-Flexible/dp/B00DTOAWZ2/ref=pd_sim_60_6

Quoted from Pinzzz:

I also have a Laseriffic topper that is static on blue.Due I need to change the led strip in that too?

Does it have four terminals on the end of the strip? You can get solid blue strips as well, so I'm not sure what Laseriffic used. If you get the above strip, you should have plenty left over to swap it out if you need to.

#137 8 years ago

Also, I personally don't know if I would bother going waterproof in a pinball machine.

I usually get the waterproof more to protect against bumps than water. The bare LEDs just seem awfully fragile to me. I agree that it can be a pain to peel back enough of it to solder to the terminals, though.

#140 8 years ago

Guys, please...

#143 8 years ago

Do you have any tips/tricks to get the waterproofing cut back without damaging the traces or pads? Preferably not involving razor blades or sharp knives, but that really does work best for me in my experience....

Sorry, no tricks that make it easy. I use a blade and carefully slide it between the strip and the coating, parallel to the strip. I then cut perpendicular to the strip to remove the small section of coating, making it easier to solder to. The more I do it, the easier it gets, but it's still a bit of a pain.

1 week later
#158 8 years ago

Ah, crap! I thought that strip WAS one of the combined type. Sorry about that. I'll take a look, but maybe someone else is better at picking them than I am.

#161 8 years ago

One of the buyers is having an issue with the F11 fuse blowing when the RGB board was installed.

If I'm reading it correctly, F11 is the fuse between the transformer and 5V regulator on the power driver board. The schematic shows this as F23, and the manual as F11, so I don't really know.

Anyway, 5V should only be used to power the microcontroller. I would look for shorts, and I would also make sure they haven't decided to power their lighting using the 5V on the board.

6 months later
#175 8 years ago

During LCMB, one output is blue, the other is yellow, and they swap about once per second. Any other time, the ramps match, so it's not an issue. When the ramps aren't lit, it defaults to blue.

The source code is available if you want to change the behavior. Mine, for example, turns the outputs off rather than blue when the ramps are off.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Trade
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider herg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lighting-mod-for-tron-ramp-kit-owners-gauging-interest?tu=herg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.