Topic Stats

• 192 posts
  • 48 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by zipwipple
  • Topic is favorited by 22 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 29 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

capture_(resized).PNG
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_2.jpg
image_1.jpg
image.jpg
image_2.jpg
image_1.jpg
image.jpg
image_1.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image_1.jpg
image.jpg
IMG_1370.jpg

There are 192 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
#151 4 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

Can't wait for the apron mod!

+1

#152 4 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

The only thing to watch for is the order of the colors in the wiring. Most of the bulk stuff is correct with B-R-G-12v which is pin-for-pin correct on these boards. Some of the consumer led strips I have are R-G-B-12v which will work but will output the wrong colors unless the pinouts are rewired.
Also, I personally don't know if I would bother going waterproof in a pinball machine. Waterproof is what I bought to tinker with, but its a bit painful to work with if you are cutting many small strips; removing the waterproofing to get at the solder pads is time consuming and finicky. IMO if you have rain/water pouring onto the LEDs in your pinball machine you have bigger issues. The strips do look nicer as a finished product however so it's more a personal decision.

When did this change? As originally, I was told it was 12, G, R, B, which is the order that most speaker light kits and the ColorDMD Sigma are pinned.

I also see the +, G, R, B order was mentioned by herg on the first page of posts.

#153 4 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

When did this change? As originally, I was told it was 12, G, R, B

Most of the bulk stuff is correct with B-R-G-12v which is pin-for-pin correct on these boards

It didn't?

"12,G,R,B" = B-R-G-12

Just make sure the plug arrows are correct to the board arrows (12v)

#154 4 years ago

It didn't?
"12,G,R,B" = B-R-G-12
Just make sure the plug arrows are correct to the board arrows (12v)

Ahhh, a little brain fart there on my part. I'm accustomed to seeing the +12, 12 or + listed first.

#155 4 years ago

Installed.
The only thing I don't like is the LED strips I used under the cab don't look good for the topper conversion.
Laseriffic used static blue.So I had to change that over.
Because I can see mixed colors and don't like how far apart the LEDs are.
For under the cab it is fine.But I want a led strip for the topper that has closer together LEDs and are all in one LEDs.Not mixing colors together.
Can anyone suggest a type and where to buy?.

image.jpg

image_1.jpg

#156 4 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#157 4 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#158 4 years ago

Ah, crap! I thought that strip WAS one of the combined type. Sorry about that. I'll take a look, but maybe someone else is better at picking them than I am.

#159 4 years ago

One of the buyers is having an issue with the F11 fuse blowing when the RGB board was installed. Is there any advice on why this might be? I'm passing along some troubleshooting info but I saw an earlier post regarding F11 blowing due to Eli's kit with no real conclusion and hoped maybe someone here has had some experience on this problem?

previous semi-related posts: https://beta.pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-eli-ramps-not-working

#160 4 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Ah, crap! I thought that strip WAS one of the combined type. Sorry about that. I'll take a look, but maybe someone else is better at picking them than I am.

amazon.com link »

This is what I am using - sorry its a Canadian link. Works 100% but it took FOREVER to arrive.

#161 4 years ago

One of the buyers is having an issue with the F11 fuse blowing when the RGB board was installed.

If I'm reading it correctly, F11 is the fuse between the transformer and 5V regulator on the power driver board. The schematic shows this as F23, and the manual as F11, so I don't really know.

Anyway, 5V should only be used to power the microcontroller. I would look for shorts, and I would also make sure they haven't decided to power their lighting using the 5V on the board.

4 months later
#162 3 years ago

This is 100% tentative at this point, but I've had a random spike in unsolicited requests about these boards in the past week or so. I currently have none on hand, but would again entertain a run of them if we're looking like ~10 or so people interested.

I'll preface that statement with the following so there's no confusion:

- I will set up a pre-order website (and order website) for actual record keeping - don't PM or email me your preorders this time around.

- The price will increase. My purchasing power has greatly diminished in the past 4-6 months and I was naively pushing my luck back then so the price would probably be around $75 USD (shipped - no tracking) for the board and power cable... maybe a bit more maybe a bit less but that's my ballpark; I will update my spreadsheets with new prices this week and figure it out. International will be $10 more regardless due to shipping.

- Due to wonderful real life job/economy shenanigans, the apron mod has fallen to the backburner and is not ready yet - don't buy this expecting that mod within the immediate future, though it is still alive.

For now, if you are interested: just reply in this thread and I'll take an unofficial head count over the next while.
If there's interest enough to warrant it I'll toss the pre-order site together and move on with official pre-orders.

#163 3 years ago

I'm in. I have the Eli ramps and a topper already. The topper feels lonely and left out of the action.

#164 3 years ago

I'm in. You offering free delivery? Hahah.

#165 3 years ago

In for 2 bud...thanks for the heads up!

#166 3 years ago

Count me in as well. I can always use more lights.

2 weeks later
#167 3 years ago

Ok, I'm making a go of this again. Looks like there's enough unofficial interest to break even - maybe I can get a few more to commit with some advertising effort. For now, I'm offering up the first pre-orders to the folks in this thread. Please head to this website to learn more and sign up:

http://www.purpledrillmonkey.com/tron-rgb-board-pre-order.html

If you don't submit through this website, I'm not considering your money committed at this time. I will be posting this publically in it's own market place thread at the end of the week.

Thanks to nosro for helping me troubleshoot the site a bit today, and thanks to Aurich for suggestions on handling orders. If there are any issues with the site or the form let me know.

#168 3 years ago

I'm in!

#169 3 years ago

Just a bump up. Good response so far so I won't make a dedicated advertisement beyond this thread until I have a few extra kicking around.

Everyone who has expressed interest is on the list so far, along with a couple others. The longer lead time items are already on order - hopefully I can have these things shipping out quite a bit sooner than planned.

4 weeks later
#170 3 years ago

I've submitted payment for mine. I can't wait to see what we can do with this.

#171 3 years ago

If anyone is interested in the speaker lights for use with this board....I will sell a discounted light kit with only what is needed for $30 + shipping. This will be the speaker light frames with the correct RGB light strips attached with connectors and mounting hardware for stock and upgraded speakers that have spacer rings attached to the front of them. I will also include the RGB splitter so the speaker lights only use 1 of the 2 connections on the board (if you choose to connect them this way).

The above mentioned ColorDMD cable to connect to the ColorDMD SIGMA is also available in my accessories section as well as TRON acrylic designs in the acrylic designs section of my website.

No power cable or RGB controller are needed in this case, so they will not be included in this discounted kit.

If you are interested, please contact me at support@speakerlightkits.com and let me know you would like the "discount light kit for the TRON ramp board" along with your shipping address and a list of anything else you would want from my website.

Thanks,

Doug www.speakerlightkits.com

UPDATE: It is mentioned below that each output connection on this board does output a different color during light cycle multiball. If you would choose to connect each speaker to a different output on the board (ex: left speaker for left ramp and right speaker for right ramp) and would want an additional RGB splitter....please let me know. It will be an additional $4. I will not be listing these splitters on my website or selling them separately from this discount TRON ramp kit.

#172 3 years ago

I just ordered mine but I do have a question.
There are 2 output ports on the board. Are they both the same or is one the right ramp and the other the left ramp?

#173 3 years ago

With a couple exceptions (I have emailed you) - Everyone who has paid as of right now will have their shipments leaving tomorrow.

#174 3 years ago
Quoted from Robotronx:

I just ordered mine but I do have a question.
There are 2 output ports on the board. Are they both the same or is one the right ramp and the other the left ramp?

They are separate outputs driven by two banks of MOSFETs, but I only have a single RGB LED strip unit to test one at a time with so I'm not 100% sure what the code does between the two outputs. If Herg sees this he might elaborate on any differences between the outputs.

The lightcycle mode pulses the lights from blue to yellow so even if you only use a single output you don't have a Left/Right ramp issue.

#175 3 years ago

During LCMB, one output is blue, the other is yellow, and they swap about once per second. Any other time, the ramps match, so it's not an issue. When the ramps aren't lit, it defaults to blue.

The source code is available if you want to change the behavior. Mine, for example, turns the outputs off rather than blue when the ramps are off.

1 week later
#176 3 years ago

I received my board from purplemonkeydrill! I installed it right away.

I have just one item hooked up - a topper. It seems that my colors are mixed up - it seems that blue and green are swapped. (For example, the default color is green and Quorra multiball shows up as blue. Also, light cycle now cycles between purple and cyan, which seems consistent with a blue/green swap according to an RGB color wheel.) The topper was previously controlled by one of those standard RGB strip controllers and the colors worked correctly.

Do some RGB strip controller swap green and blue?

#177 3 years ago

I have seen it many times where on the rgb tape where blue and green are swapped...switch the two leads and try it

#178 3 years ago

Thanks to purplemonkeydrill for putting together a professional all inclusive kit. Everything worked out of the box and nothing additional was needed.

1 week later
#179 3 years ago

I just got mine installed for my tron (hooked up to my speaker lights). I think it looks outstanding. Not over the top like some light shows but a great look along side the eli ramps, color dmd, speaker lights and custom animated 3d back box light.

Love the fading of yellow to blue and back in LS MB.

Highly recommended.

#180 3 years ago

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

#181 3 years ago
Quoted from nosro:

Do some RGB strip controller swap green and blue?

Sorry for not seeing this last week. Some LED strips (typically the 'consumer' versions I've seen) have the colors in a different order.

The strips that work pin for pin will be: B-R-G-12v. This is typical for the factory direct 5m reels one would buy from amazon or ebay, but some consumer kits (specifically the Sylvania ones I have) I've seen are: B-G-R-12v

Both will work but the second type will need a bit of rewiring (or recoding) to correct some light patterns.

#182 3 years ago

I'm all set. I swapped the B and G wires on the topper and now it works perfectly. I also ordered one of those reels from Amazon to plug into the second LED socket and it worked correctly with no modification.

#183 3 years ago

Sorry for not seeing this last week. Some LED strips (typically the 'consumer' versions I've seen) have the colors in a different order.
The strips that work pin for pin will be: B-R-G-12v. This is typical for the factory direct 5m reels one would buy from amazon or ebay, but some consumer kits (specifically the Sylvania ones I have) I've seen are: B-G-R-12v
Both will work but the second type will need a bit of rewiring (or recoding) to correct some light patterns.

Yes, not all LED light strips are made the same. Some are +12, G, R, B as you stated. Many are +12, B, R, G. I have never seen the +12, R, G, B light strips as you have mentioned, but that doesn't surprise me at all. The RGB controllers and RGB LED connector cables are the same. They can be in any order. Many are labeled one way, but work another. Good luck on finding a seller that even knows what the letters B, G & R stand for. If you do find what you want, there is a good chance if you order from that person again....they will be different the next time you order (even if you specify and they assure you they are going to be the same). I have yet to decide if most of these sellers are stupid, they think I am stupid or they are just liars.

I have bought hundreds of dollars worth of RGB LED components that I do not use, because I have always made sure I wired my Speaker Light Kits the same way. It has been very stressful at times, but I am glad I have always done it that way as it has made it so ALL of my Speaker Light Kits are compatible with other peoples products like this TRON ramp board, the ColorDMD SIGMA and also the undercab kits by Rock Custom Pinball.

Doug (SpeakerLightKits.com)

#184 3 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

I have never seen the +12, R, G, B light strips as you have mentioned, but that doesn't surprise me at all. The RGB controllers and RGB LED connector cables are the same. They can be in any order. Many are labeled one way, but work another.

I'm assuming they did RGB in order because lay-people would be comfortable with that order.

capture_(resized).PNG

Ironically you are bang on correct - they are 100% mislabelled. I plugged some of the 'standard' +12, G, R, B I have on hand and they work fine.

7 months later
#185 2 years ago

I have one last kit sitting around in case anyone is still perusing this thread.

PM me or --> http://www.purpledrillmonkey.com/tron-rgb-board-order.html

#186 2 years ago

Great!
Thought I'd missed out on this - PM and PayPal payment sent.

#187 2 years ago

Final board sold. For those who missed it, if enough interest comes up I might do another run. Shoot me a pre-order here: http://www.purpledrillmonkey.com/tron-rgb-board-pre-order.html

Note there is no plan at this time to run more boards. If at least 7-8 people respond with a pre-order I will entertain the idea.

Thanks again to all!

#188 2 years ago

I've seen the eli lights on amazon and eBay but i don't think I've seen them set up for pinball connection..do they still exist or does anyone know how to make those? And yes if I had the multi color lights I'd buy the board. Thx

#189 2 years ago

Man, i wish i saw this earlier. Got my name on the list.

#190 2 years ago
Quoted from Brazy:

I've seen the eli lights on amazon and eBay but i don't think I've seen them set up for pinball connection..do they still exist or does anyone know how to make those? And yes if I had the multi color lights I'd buy the board. Thx

http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_65&products_id=566&zenid=566d683bb24140abb58262f330657cfb

#191 2 years ago

Put me on the list for the next run.

1 week later
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.95
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Machine - For Sale
Sinking Spring, PA
$ 26.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
$ 26.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
There are 192 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside