Topic Stats

• 192 posts
  • 48 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by zipwipple
  • Topic is favorited by 22 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 29 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

capture_(resized).PNG
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_2.jpg
image_1.jpg
image.jpg
image_2.jpg
image_1.jpg
image.jpg
image_1.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image_1.jpg
image.jpg
IMG_1370.jpg

There are 192 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 4 years ago

First, the fun part. What does this do?

It uses signals from the Pinbits/Eli TRON Ramp Lighting kit and synchronizes additional lighting mods to the ramp lights. You can use it to control toppers, speaker lights, undercabinet lighting, ColorDMD, etc. Here's some video of it in action.

I designed this nearly a year ago, but I was never able to offer it as a kit for a few reasons.

1. I was not able to get a good idea of how much interest there was.
2. I did not have the time to get a cost estimate together, so I was unable to set a price.
3. I did not have the time to build boards, and I didn't think there was enough interest to have them outsourced.
4. My game has a beta version Ramp Lighting kit, so I could not be sure it worked with the production version.
5. My game only has a ColorDMD, no lighting mods.

Recently, however, Nelly contacted me about wanting to build one himself. In short order, he had his working, and it's the one shown in the videos above. That solved questions 4 and 5.

Over the past few days, I have put some estimates together, and we have settled at a price of $50 for the controller board. You will still need a power supply and cabling for your lighting mods, but all of that is either available elsewhere or easy to make. We will explain this more later.

We would now like to get a good idea of how much interest there is. In order to make this work, we really need solid numbers, so please don't commit to one if you don't really want it. If you want one, please send a PM either to me or Nelly. Soon, we will set a cutoff date for commitments so that we can start building.

Nelly has offered to handbuild a small quantity, but if it turns out that the numbers are high enough, I will handle outsourcing them.

#2 4 years ago

Here's picture of what you'd be getting. The price will be $50.
377975.jpg

See the two connectors on the left, J4 and J5? Those are compatible with existing LED strips, and they work basically the same as the LED controllers you get with speaker lights, toppers, etc. It will replace controllers like the one in the picture below, and it can control the same types of devices.
20120614113437.jpg

If you look at the video above, you will see that during Light Cycle Multiball, the colors alternate blue and yellow. Nelly has his topper and ColorDMD connected to one of the outputs and his speaker lights and topper to the other. You have the option of doing something similar. If all you have is speaker lights, you could hook the left one to J4 and the right one to J5, and the speaker lights would alternate out of sync with one another. Basically, you get to choose how you connect your lighting to the two outputs.

If you are connecting a ColorDMD, you can buy the "ColorDMD SIGMA / Speaker Light Kit Interface Cable" from http://www.speakerlightkits.com/Accessories.html or you can build your own cable.

#3 4 years ago

This drawing is an attempt to show some options for how this can be hooked up. Cable (1) is the ColorDMD cable that is available at SpeakerLightKits.com. Cable (2) is a "standard" splitter that is available from many places, including Amazon.com.

unnamed.jpg

The difficulty in putting together a kit comes from all the options. Since we don't know what you'll have hooked up to it, we don't know what splitters and extension cables you'll need. Also, depending on how many mods you have hooked up, you might be able to use the game's 12V, or you may need an external power supply.

Links to some sources for the cables. You might also want to talk to Nelly, since he has more experience with the cabling than I do.
(1) http://www.speakerlightkits.com/Accessories.html
(2) Just one option, this may be available cheaper elsewhere. amazon.com link »

Extension amazon.com link »

NOTE: DugFreez has notified me that the pinout of different LED strips can cause the colors to be in a different order. We assume +GRB with the current firmware, and that's the order that DugFreez has kept all of his speaker lights and toppers. Mods from other vendors might have a different pinout and would need to be compensated for by rearranging the cables or a different firmware load on this board.

NOTE 2: It seems you also need two connectors for speaker lights, so I squished another splitter into the picture.

#4 4 years ago

I assume ColorDMD does not plan on colorizing this game then?

If not, I would think a statement from ColorDMD to that fact would help sell these kits.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I assume ColorDMD does not plan on colorizing this game then?

From what I understand, it is in progress, but this mod is not limited to ColorDMD. Even after there is a multi-color ROM for TRON, this will be able to flash speaker lights, toppers, undercabinet lighting, etc. You don't even have to have a ColorDMD installed to use it.

#6 4 years ago

I'm in, even if it's in a kit form and not assembled.

That'd be a nice option so people wouldn't have to track down all the parts separately and buy 3 boards from the supplier. The soldering doesn't seem to be extensive or difficult for this project.

#7 4 years ago

I've added your name to the list.

#8 4 years ago

I just wanted to add that if anyone has any questions on what would be involved on their end to get this up and running in their game, to shoot me a message or post up and I will be happy to discuss it with you. Everyones skill set is different and even just coming up with the cables you'll need may seem daunting to some. I would be happy to help here as well. We could've offered a power cable along with the kit but that would've added to the price and we are trying to keep the price point down. That being said, I am more than happy to help anyone out if they feel coming up with the proper cables is out of their comfort zone. Just let me know!

#9 4 years ago

Looks Very Fitting

Tron is a great pin

#10 4 years ago

Looks amazing. Hope this can be done for the LE too!

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from Nelly:

We could've offered a power cable along with the kit but that would've added to the price and we are trying to keep the price point down.

Plus, if you already have a power supply for your speaker lights or topper, you may be able to use it instead of buying a new one. If you're only using a ColorDMD, you can borrow power from the game using a simple cable. If you have a ton of lights like Nelly, you will need a pretty big supply. One size does not fit all here, and we don't want to force people to buy a big supply that they don't need.

#12 4 years ago

Hope this can be done for the Tron VE's !

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

Hope this can be done for the LE too!

This particular implementation requires the Pinbits/Eli ramp lighting. I'm not sure if the LE could be fitted with that, but if so, and you were crazy enough to actually swap out the ramp lighting, this mod would work.

I also thought there was an LE synchronization mod at one point. Maybe I'm wrong.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from herg:

This particular implementation requires the Pinbits/Eli ramp lighting. I'm not sure if the LE could be fitted with that, but if so, and you were crazy enough to actually swap out the ramp lighting, this mod would work.
I also thought there was an LE synchronization mod at one point. Maybe I'm wrong.

There was but had very little interest and not nearly as well done as yours.

#15 4 years ago

I'm pretty sure I'm in. Before I fully commit, you never posted a price. What is the price of this mod? I beleive I read in the other thread about this that it costs you $20 and you would be selling at $50? If the price is somewhere around there I'm definently in. Actually at that price I might take a few if they would work with other games. I mean hell, sticker mods for your pin are $40 now so at that price you really can't go wrong.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

you never posted a price

It was pretty well hidden, but it is in the first post.

Quoted from herg:

we have settled at a price of $50 for the controller board

I beleive I read in the other thread about this that it costs you $20 and you would be selling at $50?

$20 is probably pretty close for parts, but that doesn't include the boards or assembly. If Nelly assembles them, all the profit will go to him to pay his slave wages. If I end up having them outsourced, there won't be any profit.

I might take a few if they would work with other games.

Sorry, but no, they will only work with Tron with the Pinbits/Eli ramp kit installed; no other games.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from herg:

It was pretty well hidden, but it is in the first post.

$20 is probably pretty close for parts, but that doesn't include the boards or assembly. If Nelly assembles them, all the profit will go to him to pay his slave wages. If I end up having them outsourced, there won't be any profit.

Sorry, but no, they will only work with Tron with the Pinbits/Eli ramp kit installed; no other games.

Oopsy! I guess I should have actually read your first post Would you consider selling it as an entire kit? I mean with the power supply and cables and whatever else it needs?

#18 4 years ago

Oopsy! I guess I should have actually read your first post Would you consider selling it as an entire kit? I mean with the power supply and cables and whatever else it needs?

Because there are so many different ways to use this board, and everyone's games will not have the same mods on them, it would be impossible to offer a generic complete kit. If that is what you would prefer I am more than willing to work with you to put a complete kit together for your specific setup. This would be at an additional cost of course and would depend on what all you are trying to control with this board. If you are interested in this just shoot me a PM and we can discuss it.

#20 4 years ago

Thanks! I will need #2 cable in that pic and a Stern 12V power connector. PM sent to Nelly.

#21 4 years ago

Bump! Anyone else out there interested in this at all?

#22 4 years ago

I will order one

#23 4 years ago

I think it's pretty cool. If I had a Tron, I would want one.

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from BlindVoyeur:

I will order one

Thanks, I'll add you to the list!

#25 4 years ago

I'd definitely grab one of these when they're available. I already have the ramp mod along with a ColorDMD and under cabinet lighting. This sounds like the perfect thing to tie everything together.

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from packetpusher:

I'd definitely grab one of these when they're available. I already have the ramp mod along with a ColorDMD and under cabinet lighting. This sounds like the perfect thing to tie everything together.

I've added you to the list, thanks!

#27 4 years ago

Nice work as always Herg!

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from Nelly:

Bump! Anyone else out there interested in this at all?

Yep - I'm definitely interested! I'd love some under-cab lighting that synchronizes with the ramp lighting!

#29 4 years ago

I'd be game for one!

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from EightBitWhit:

Yep - I'm definitely interested!

Quoted from LilRocky:

I'd be game for one!

Added both of you to the list.

Nelly, since it looks like we're not going to hit the number of boards for outsourcing them, I'll let you decide when to set the cutoff date for commitments.

#31 4 years ago

Sounds good. I'll probably let it go for a few more days and then cut it off. I'll be sure to post up the cut off date once I figure it out.

#32 4 years ago

Bumping this one last time before the cut off. If anyone else would like in on this please let me know. The cut off for getting in on this will be Tuesday 4/7. I will be contacting everyone on the list after the cutoff to go over the details. If anyone has any questions please let me know.

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from Nelly:

Bumping this one last time before the cut off. If anyone else would like in on this please let me know. The cut off for getting in on this will be Tuesday 4/7. I will be contacting everyone on the list after the cutoff to go over the details. If anyone has any questions please let me know.

So I'm assuming even though you didn't hit the number you wanted to you will still make them for the people that PM'd you wanting one?

#35 4 years ago

So I'm assuming even though you didn't hit the number you wanted to you will still make them for the people that PM'd you wanting one?

Yes, everyone that gets on the list will get one. Because the list is not long enough to have these assembled by a 3rd party, I will be building these myself and shipping them out. It will take a tad longer this way, but at least everyone that wants a board will be able to get one.

#36 4 years ago

Ok, the cutoff for getting in on this mod has now passed. It is now time to move forward with making these for those of you who showed interest. I have PM'd everyone that I had on my list. If you thought you were on the list and did not get a PM from me please let me know!

Thanks to all who expressed interest! I look forward to seeing videos of these in action on your games!

-Dave

#37 4 years ago

Any chance you can/will offer the PCBs for sale and provide the BOM for anyone who wants to put this together on their own?

Maybe you already have and I missed that post.

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

Any chance you can/will offer the PCBs for sale and provide the BOM for anyone who wants to put this together on their own?

Yes, I posted that a while back in the original thread.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-color-changing-tron-pinbits-eli-ramps-integration/page/2#post-1852625

You can purchase the boards from OSHPark, though they require you to order in multiples of 3. Also, the BOM is a bit rough. Nelly has said that he will help by providing info on what he ordered.

#39 4 years ago

Awesome. Thanks!

#40 4 years ago

Nice great job

2 weeks later
#41 4 years ago

These are coming along nicely!

IMG_9951.JPG

#42 4 years ago
Quoted from Nelly:

These are coming along nicely!
IMG_9951.JPG (Click image to enlarge)

YES! Can't wait!

#44 4 years ago

Just a quick update. These are starting to ship out today. There are a couple of people that still need to send their payment in. If you could do that soon that would be appreciated.

I do have 4 extras of these ready to go as well. If anyone else is interested in one, please let me know.

Thanks to all that joined in on this! I am looking forward to seeing some videos of your games once you have them hooked up, so feel free to post them here if you want.

#45 4 years ago

Oh man. Can't wait! I will post a video when installed

#46 4 years ago

looks like i need to sell my LE and get a Pro so i can buy this cool mod

1 week later
#47 4 years ago

Just wanted to let everyone know that I have 6 of these sitting here ready to go. 2 of which I am waiting on payment for. So 4 are free and clear and ready for immediate shipment. Please contact me if you'd like to grab one!

-Dave

#48 4 years ago

Received last week. Installed this week.

It's pretty damn cool to have the ramps tied into the speaker lights!

Thanks Nelly! (And for the Skittles, too!)

#49 4 years ago

Man I wish I had mine. Mail is so slow these days. Eagerly awaiting this one

#50 4 years ago

I know what I'll be doing tonight

IMG_1528.JPG

IMG_1529.JPG

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 26.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
There are 192 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside