(Topic ID: 300466)

Lighting help

By duckkillerclyde

2 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

I have a few lights that either don't come on are are very weak. Dirty, loose sockets are part of the problem. How do I fix this? I would like to just replace the socket all together.

I'm very familiar with DC but have never done anything AC. Is it the same idea?

Video links would be helpful as would text.

#2 2 years ago

I suppose I would burn up my 12v test light if I was to hit anything in my machine?

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from duckkillerclyde:

I suppose I would burn up my 12v test light if I was to hit anything in my machine?

Don't do that.

I'm very familiar with DC but have never done anything AC. Is it the same idea?

Same thing. Replace the socket.

LTG : )

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Don't do that.

Same thing. Replace the socket.

Thank you. I suspect putting a multimeter on it would be better.

On one light that I haven't gotten to turn on or flicker, There should be 120v? If not, start following wire backwards?

#5 2 years ago

Thank you. I suspect putting a multimeter on it would be better.

Youtube has videos to help if you need it. Measuring AC is different than DC.

There should be 120v?

Holy moly. 120V isn't common in newer pins. What is the name and make of the game you are working on and where are the bulbs in it ?

I ask because modern GI is 6 volts AC.

If you are working with 120, be darn sure you know what you are doing.

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Youtube has videos to help if you need it. Measuring AC is different than DC.

Holy moly. 120V isn't common in newer pins. What is the name and make of the game you are working on and where are the bulbs in it ?
    I ask because modern GI is 6 volts AC.
    If you are working with 120, be darn sure you know what you are doing.

Now you sound like the pump guy when I was poking around a 300hp irrigation pump. 480volts

Working on Gottlieb's Gold Strike.

#7 2 years ago

Lights I'm working on are just regular playfield lights. One of them is an out lane, one is a light that turns on for special the other is a target light that is VERY weak.

#8 2 years ago

Working on Gottlieb's Gold Strike.

Those are 6-volt lamps. You won't find 120 volts on those no matter how you check.
    If the weak socket doesn't clean up with a dremmel, steel wool, sandpaper, or whatever, just replace it.
    Do that with the power off.
    It would be very unusual if the problem isn't the socket itself.

Also, not real important for this discussion, but it sounds like you are discussing controlled lamps, not general illumination (always on) that your post seems to be about when you say "regular playfield lights".

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

Those are 6-volt lamps. You won't find 120 volts on those no matter how you check.
    If the weak socket doesn't clean up with a dremmel, steel wool, sandpaper, or whatever, just replace it.
    Do that with the power off.
    It would be very unusual if the problem isn't the socket itself.
    Also, not real important for this discussion, but it sounds like you are discussing controlled lamps, not general illumination (always on) that your post seems to be about when you say "regular playfield lights".

Yes, I knew about the 6volt lamp. I've been reading a lot about these EM machines. I'm new to the pinball game.

Controlled lamps and general illumination lamps I'm fighting. I have ordered a half dozen and will be replacing them sometime next week.

At least I called it a playfield and didn't use the "T" word.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lighting-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.