(Topic ID: 185588)

Light works in test mode but not in game???

By cjs001

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

The game is bally playboy; the light that is next to the player one display works when I go into the test mode for all controlled lamps. When I start a game it does not light, sometimes it will all of a sudden kick on but rarely. The other 3 player lights work. I replaced the SCR for that lamp for the heck of it and no change. Any ideas where I should look next? Thanks

#2 7 years ago

Are all other lamps working properly?

Sounds a little like that lamp is incorrectly wired to the wrong SCR on the J2 connector.
That "Player 1 Up" lamp is connected to a red/blue wire which comes from pin 14 at connector J2 on the Lamp Driver board. Do you see this red/blue wire at pin 14 on J2?

You can manually activate the SCR to illuminate the lamp. Connect a jumper wire from TP3 on the lamp board to the gate pin (top side pin) of SCR Q6. Does that "Player 1 Up" lamp light up?

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Are all other lamps working properly?
Sounds a little like that lamp is incorrectly wired to the wrong SCR on the J2 connector.
That "Player 1 Up" lamp is connected to a red/blue wire which comes from pin 14 at connector J2 on the Lamp Driver board. Do you see this red/blue wire at pin 14 on J2?
You can manually activate the SCR to illuminate the lamp. Connect a jumper wire from TP3 on the lamp board to the gate pin (top side pin) of SCR Q6. Does that "Player 1 Up" lamp light up?

Thanks for the response. Figured it out just now the wire for that lamp was in pin 9 slot on J2, moved it to 14 and working now. Since pin 9 is an unused position why did it light up during light test, is that weird? All lamps are working correctly now and hopefully stay that way so I don't have to back peddle haha. Thanks again.

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from cjs001:

Since pin 9 is an unused position why did it light up during light test, is that weird?

In lamp test mode, all the lamp SCRs are told to switch regardless of whether lamps are wired to them or not.
BTW, pin 9 of J2 is also connected on the lamp board to pin 22 on J3 which goes to the "Same Player Shoots Again" lamp on the playfield. So this is probably why you intermittently saw that Player 1 Up light come on.

Anyhow, good to hear you sorted it!

5 years later
#5 1 year ago

I just had this exact same thing on a Night Rider. It didn't look like the connector was replaced so I wouldn't have considered the wire being in the wrong spot in connector. Maybe the game was built on a Friday afternoon. Since it was the 1K bonus it wasn't crazy obvious it wasn't working. Hard to think of how else it would get into wrong slot. Anyway always follow the troubleshooting steps from most obvious back to schematic. Thanks pinside and people for posting, sometimes it just takes another suggestion for the weird ones.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Coffs Harbour, NS
$ 22.50
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
San Diego, CA
2,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Macomb, MI
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 10.00
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/light-works-in-test-mode-but-not-in-game and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.