IMG_2296.jpg
IMG_2297.jpg
IMG_2298.jpg
IMG_2302.jpg
Speaker_Lights_3.jpg
Protector_install_1.jpg
Protector_install_8.jpg
#1 8 years ago

So here is the story....... I was at the Houston Arcade Expo last month and picked up a LAH. To my surprise and delight, the machine NEVER when down during the entire weekend.
The Good:
Good price... (thanks again JW)
Cabinet is about a 7.5 out of 10
Playfield is a 8 out of 10
Translight is a 8 out of 10, but it looks like moisture got between the glass and translight (can I fix that?)
The Not Good:
Need to replace the rubbers (ofcourse)
Need a tilt bob
Need to "touch up" the cabinet
Need a new "golden ticket"
Need a light waxing
Need to fix the M-ball and Chicken holes
The Upgrades:
New translight (maybe)
Full set of Cliffy protectors and post sleeves
Full LED kit
Speaker lights
Custom topper
So that is the plan. I will have many pictures and will answer as many question has I can. Please beware that I am still a beginner at this; only been into pinball for about 2 years.

MM

OUT

LAH_from_the_Expo_3.jpgLAH_from_the_Expo_3.jpg
LAH_from_the_Expo_5.jpgLAH_from_the_Expo_5.jpg
LAH_from_the_Expo_4.jpgLAH_from_the_Expo_4.jpg
LAH_from_the_Expo_7.jpgLAH_from_the_Expo_7.jpg

#2 8 years ago

First thing to do is order some protectors from Cliffy. My M-Hole and Chicken are pretty bad. So the plan is to lightly repair the hole and add the protectors. I also bought some post protectors; light blue.

http://www.passionforpinball.com/

Install went pretty easy... a little tip .... I loosened all the metal scoops instead of taking them all the way off.

I also add a few post protectors.... pics to come soon.

MM

OUT

Protector_install_4.jpgProtector_install_4.jpg

Protector_install_8.jpgProtector_install_8.jpg

Protector_install_1.jpgProtector_install_1.jpg

#3 8 years ago

Next on the list was LED for the speakers. I know some people might this it's lame, but I think it gives a little flare to the machine.

http://www.speakerlightkits.com/ $51 shipped

Super easy to install, very happy with the product.

Pictures below

MM

OUT

Speaker_Lights_3.jpgSpeaker_Lights_3.jpg

#4 8 years ago

GOTPINBALL asked for some high res pictures of the front of the cabinet. Here you go:

Have a nice day.

MM

OUT

IMG_2302.jpgIMG_2302.jpg

IMG_2298.jpgIMG_2298.jpg

IMG_2297.jpgIMG_2297.jpg

IMG_2296.jpgIMG_2296.jpg

#5 8 years ago

Thank you!!!

#6 8 years ago

Yesterday I stumbled onto something great: http://www.pinballcards.com/

They have two different styles for LAH; one is a Golden Ticket theme and the other is a Street theme; don't forget to donate!!

I printed both out onto cheap photo paper and it came out great.

MM

OUT

20151215_165400.jpg20151215_165400.jpg

20151215_165408.jpg20151215_165408.jpg

20151215_165412.jpg20151215_165412.jpg

2 weeks later
#7 8 years ago

Three weeks ago I ordered the Ultimate LED kit from pinballbuilbs.com:

http://www.pinballbulbs.com/products/last-action-hero-pinball-ultimate-led-lighting-kit

HOLY COW does it make a differences!!! Everything pops, everything is bright; I can see the ball the whole time. There are several dark spots on LAH, but not any more. The Kit covers all bulbs but the flashers in the backglass. Plus it includes 4 spot light, an LED strip behind the flippers (white) and a longer strip (blue) on the very back of the PF facing down; super ease to install.

(pictures coming soon)

My only complaint is taking everything apart, SUCKS!!! and while everything is apart might as well change the rubbers.
After two weeks, on and off I'm finished.... mostly. I just have to put the big ramp and crane back together. I didn't want to take off the crane but there is NO WAY around it. Just unscrew it and pray it goes back on with-in 30 minutes.

More updates to come.

MM

OUT

#8 8 years ago

The best upgrade you can make to this machine is to get the new updated ROM that adjusts the rules. Problem is the guy who made it hasn't been on Pinside for a year, so not sure how easy to get it is now.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

The best upgrade you can make to this machine is to get the new updated ROM that adjusts the rules. Problem is the guy who made it hasn't been on Pinside for a year, so not sure how easy to get it is now.

When I has my LAH, I got it from the guy who is the OP of the LAH club. His name was like Matt Ramussen or something along those lines.

#11 8 years ago

That's interesting...new code for LAH? Didn't know about this. I'll PM Mr. Ramussen and see what's up. BTW--great looking machine OP! I think this is a really fun Pin! Rules much like Addams Family. Love the ripper kicker too. You'll have fun with it!

Mike

#12 8 years ago

Bam. There is it. Thanks Mpierce!

Mike

#13 8 years ago

I'm making a translite for my friend based on the movie poster with a "Director's Cut ROM Edition" tag.

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'm making a translite for my friend based on the movie poster with a "Director's Cut ROM Edition" tag.

I will take one LMK where to send the money.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Hey, that's me, and I'm still here

The files needed and instructions to make your own rom are here:
https://sites.google.com/site/lahpinballmod/buy-it-now

I think some of the burning services are even selling them too.

Oh and if you LED'd the GI, like I did, you might consider the EnerGI Maestro to tame the flashing:
https://sites.google.com/site/energimaestro/
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-gi-smoother-for-data-east

Craig

#16 8 years ago

Oh nice. I checked the other day and you hadn't been active. Do you still have your LAH? I should send you a translite.

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Do you still have your LAH?

Yup. My only data east at the moment. It's still a really fun game to me. Glad to see other folks re-discovering this title too.

#18 8 years ago

Thanks for everyone checking out my restore / upgrade. LAH is one of the best "bang for your buck" DMD table, IMHO.

Aurich - I may be interest in your translight; how much and can i see a picture?

Could I get someone to burn me a copy of the last rom set v 1.13; i WILL pay for chip, labor and shipping.
I would do it myself but I don't have a burner, and spend $100 just to use it once it not a good idea.

Pics... still.... coming...... soon.....

MM

OUT

#19 8 years ago

I wasn't going to make this one widely available since it uses the movie poster art, and I don't like selling other people's work, but I could probably do a small run of them for a few folks. It's just not a title I'm going to spend a lot of time doing custom work for.

#20 8 years ago

That's fine AURICH; I was just asking about the project. I still have not decided if I want to keep the HUGE head or not.
It's super cheesy but it is not horrible. OH well..........

MM

OUT

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from madmatt1:

That's fine AURICH; I was just asking about the project. I still have not decided if I want to keep the HUGE head or not.
It's super cheesy but it is not horrible. OH well..........
MM
OUT

No worries, I'll figure out what I want to do. I certainly don't mind making some for people who love LAH, it's not a game then gets enough love. And the new ROM is a pretty cool thing, makes it a better game. So be fun to have a translite to represent that it's not the standard game was my thinking. Thus putting something together for my friend.

It's just that normally when I sell things I like to have original art, and this is built up from the movie poster, which normally isn't my style, that's all. No biggie, if people want it I'll make it happen, the game deserves better than stock.

#22 8 years ago

I would like to see as well could be very interested in getting rid of head too

#23 8 years ago

I would be interested as well, im tired of arnolds face.

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

, which normally isn't my style,

Speaking of style, have you ever considered making alternate plastics? The LAH slings are just awful. It would take someone with artistic talent to make something original, but that fits with the existing playfield art scheme. I'm sure you could pull it off (I love my ST translite on the premium)!

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from caker137:

Speaking of style, have you ever considered making alternate plastics? The LAH slings are just awful. It would take someone with artistic talent to make something original, but that fits with the existing playfield art scheme. I'm sure you could pull it off (I love my ST translite on the premium)!

I'm exploring a print shop right now for a Metallica project that can print new plastics. See how that turns out, if it works I might do some alternate slings for games or something, could be fun. We'll see.

I'll figure out the translite, noting everyone's name in a spreadsheet for now.

1 week later
#26 8 years ago

Ok.. finely here are the pictures of LEDs installed on and off. I also installed two toys, one briefcase on-top of the shooter lane and one by the VUK. Altho, I did have to move it forward.

MM

OUT

LEDs_off_installed_(1)_(resized).JPGLEDs_off_installed_(1)_(resized).JPG
LEDs_installed_(2)_(resized).JPGLEDs_installed_(2)_(resized).JPG
LEDs_installed_(9)_(resized).JPGLEDs_installed_(9)_(resized).JPG
LEDs_installed_(11)_(resized).JPGLEDs_installed_(11)_(resized).JPG
BC_installed_(1)_(resized).JPGBC_installed_(1)_(resized).JPG
LEDs_installed_(17)_(resized).JPGLEDs_installed_(17)_(resized).JPG

1 week later
#27 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

No worries, I'll figure out what I want to do. I certainly don't mind making some for people who love LAH, it's not a game then gets enough love. And the new ROM is a pretty cool thing, makes it a better game. So be fun to have a translite to represent that it's not the standard game was my thinking. Thus putting something together for my friend.
It's just that normally when I sell things I like to have original art, and this is built up from the movie poster, which normally isn't my style, that's all. No biggie, if people want it I'll make it happen, the game deserves better than stock.

I'm interested too Aurich! Let us know. Thanks,

Mike

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from papazit1963:

I'm interested too Aurich! Let us know. Thanks,
Mike

I'm doing a test print for my friend, see how it comes out.

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'm doing a test print for my friend, see how it comes out.

Sounds good.

Mike

4 months later
#30 7 years ago

Is there anywhere I can purchase the 1.13 update?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 18.95
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lake Charles, LA
Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
York, SC
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/light-restore-and-upgrade-for-a-last-action-hero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.