_MG_2093_(resized).JPG
_MG_2078_(resized).JPG
IMG_2441_(resized).JPG
IMG_5146_(resized).JPG
IMG_3595_(resized).JPG
image.jpeg
100_0015.jpg
Light_Phaser.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider girloveswaffles.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

While still true today (I do see CRTs on Craislist a lot), they are getting harder and harder to find. The planner (read: hoarder) in me wants to buy up a bunch of backups.
On top of that most older consoles can be modified to run backup games and I'm seeing several developments for SD card loaders that are being made for many consoles.
PS2 even has the ability to load games from a hard drive. I imagine a PS2 in an arcade cabinet setup where you turn it on and choose your game without having to switch discs would be pretty awesome. That covers many of the Time Crisis options right there, though I'm guessing you'd have to go out of your way to put together some kind of pedal system as they seem to just have you push a button on the gun.
Console/light gun combos I currently own are:
Dreamcast (I really wish Sega had put out an official gun in the US)
NES
PSX
PS2
Saturn
I'm considering an Xbox gun for HOTD3 and apparently there's a light gun rifle peripheral for the Silent Scope collection on Xbox.
I think there are several Genesis light gun games, but I was never aware of them as a kid. I never had the Super Scope for SNES, either, but was also never aware of anything worth getting for it.
Once you get into PS3 ports and beyond (Time Crisis 4, I believe), they utilize something other than the CRT/Light gun setup. I think it utilizes the PS Move with a sensor thing, so they'd work on LCDs, but I have no idea how accurate they feel.

Don't forget the Sega Master system had a gun as well. There was also the "Justifier" pistols for the Konami shooting games, and the cases were based on the arcade guns. Even 3DO had guns (same case as the Konami guns).

#18 8 years ago

That's the other PSX gun, besides Guncon, right? I really like the original Guncon. I was pleased to find patches for many of the non Guncon games that make them able to be played with the Guncon. Crypt Killers is an example. It'll be more convenient to play all games on one console with the same gun.

Is it accurate enough? I find when I'm dealing with inaccurate tracking systems, I tend to prefer playing with the cross-hairs on, which diminishes the experience.

Justifier was for the Genesis There were two a blue one and a pink one.

I swear, I never heard of the master system as a kid. I've never owned one. Did they not market it well?

No, they didn't. Very little effort for a console that at the time had more capabilities than the NES.
I have several including a box with a console, Light Phaser (the gun), game cartridge and the 3D glasses (but I'm missing the card that the glasses plug into).

Light Phaser.jpgLight Phaser.jpg

#30 8 years ago
Quoted from dung:

I would emulate arcade games long before I used console version. Arcade ports to consoles within a few years of the arcade version will be lower quality. IE lower resolution think medium resolution vs sdtv and lower quality textures / few polygons. Then you are comparing a console light gun to a dedicated arcade cabinet ie less accurate. A decent pc with mame and a good lightgun setup would be the best of both worlds.

That's funny. A lot of Arcade games share hardware architecture with many home systems. I.E Vs. System and NES, Saturn and Naomi, Point Blank is based on Playstation, and so on. MAME emulation on the other hand isn't really all that great on the other hand, especially in the audio and video end. Many games have very poor audio emulation, and you end up scaling lower resolution video to what ever your PC / Mac is using and it turns out fuzzy.

3 months later
#46 8 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Early EMs classic was Seeburg 1947 "Shoot the Bear" animated game or much later the 1972 EM Midway game, "Haunted House".
All are better than modern light gun games and makes arcade games like "Lethal Enforcers" look like jokes.

Ray-o-Lite (Seeburg) games like shoot the bear worked the opposite of Video gun games. A light was shot from the rifle to the target that had a light sensitive tube in it to register a hit. A great one was "Coon-Hunt". Two raccoon targets that randomly climbedon one of two sides of a tree. it made a sequel sound when you hit one.

Most rifle games like Haunted house used a stylus running across a contact board on the underside of the panel the rifle was mounted on.

2 weeks later
#48 8 years ago

Anyone remember Sente's "Night Stocker"? Part driving game part lightgun shooter.

Night_Stocker_(resized).pngNight_Stocker_(resized).png

If you had a SAC-1 or SAC-1A cabinet, you had to get a kit to rotate the monitor and bezel up 90 degrees so it faced towards you.

8 months later
#53 7 years ago
Quoted from timtim:

I know its an old topic but yesterday I found a Guncon and 4 ps1 gun games for cheap. The gun was 5 bucks I could pass on it.
I freaking love light guns. I'm so happy I have a crt tv.
and yes the point blanks might be the best gun games ever

I recently acquired a CRT TV and I've been wanting to set up a Playstation and get out my old copy of Project Horned Owl to try out my GunCon on.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider girloveswaffles.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/light-gun-games-console-vs-arcade?tu=girloveswaffles and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.