Quoted from Phetishboy:
Very innovative with the removable top. I actually keep refining my designs as I go. The reflective tape was an experiment. It works well in the larger enclosures, but isn't needed on the smaller boxes. I was asked to do a box for a pinball translight, but have stalled on some of the details as the guy who makes pinball stencils is having serious health issues, and I planned on getting mini stencils for the side panels. I planned on using LED rope lighting for mine, but I have no idea what I would use as a sequencer. Your Christmas light idea may be what I end up going with.
Yeah, I refined a bit between proto #1 and #2.. you can see more photos here
My first box had mitered joints, which when not perfect were distracting. For proto #2 I switched to a m&t butt joint. And then used a roundover bit on the side panels to add a bit of style to it instead of just a box. The joints could probably just be nailed, but I had some fantasy that I was a wood worker
I also considered trying to make a backbox shaped head.. but opt'd to try to for the 'poster' look instead. Mine is made with dimensional 1x4" and squeezing it thinner would take significantly more work.. but seeing it on the wall I don't think I'd want bigger ones on the wall. Maybe as a shelf standing one a backbox shape would be cool (thinking like 80s bally style, etc)
I mounted the control box for the lights on the backboard and drilled a hole to make the control button accessible from outside the frame. My last electrical compromise is using the socket... it adds cost and you have to ensure you don't create a dark area or shadows... but it keeps the fuse in the lights. A smarter man would probably just hard-wire it and get it over with
The removable top adds a lot of convenience.. but complicates the build quite a bit. I'm happy with its final outcome, just not with the build annoyances it causes. It also complicates the wall mount - but I ended up using picture wire mounted from the sides. End result, the top cap is cosmetic only and not structural.
I had aspirations of offering to build them for people... but the raw materials cost just seemed prohibitive. Even buying material to do 3+ at a time.. the acrylic has significant waste and the small bits cost adds up.. never mind any labor costs. I was hoping they could be built for like $75 or so people would buy them easily.. but costs were not much less than that! Obviously people have paid for your marques at the higher price.. so maybe people would be willing to pay $150-200 for them.. but then it seems like a much harder pitch.