(Topic ID: 272219)

How to Light a Custom Topper from Machine?

By zeldarioid

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by OLDPINGUY
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

JP sign2 (resized).jpg
    20200706_192622 (resized).jpg
    20200706_191519 (resized).jpg
    20200706_191123 (resized).jpg
    IMG_8449 (resized).JPG
    #1 3 years ago

I’ve seen that there are a couple of other posts similar to this, but have found most to be related to older machines. I’m curious if anybody has any tips on where to pull power from in the game to light a couple LEDs in a custom made topper for newer Stern SPIKE 2 games, specifically Star Wars (new-ish) and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2020)?

#2 3 years ago

I used the LED strips from Comet pinball that plug into your GI (alligator clips or special bulb adapter) for my homemade Star Wars topper. Used both a red and blue strip to get effects. Red flashes when hit an asteroid and blue for light speed. Both lit in normal gameplay under a model Millennium falcon. I had previously bought the DIY topper lighting kit from Cointaker. I do not recommend it.

#3 3 years ago

Mezel Mods

IMG_8449 (resized).JPGIMG_8449 (resized).JPG
    #4 3 years ago

Thank you both for your suggestions! I'll look into those I am curious, though, from a more low-level perspective, how one would determine where they could source power without the need for extraneous purchases, like the splitter from Mezel? And while I'm sure it's much more complicated, hell, even how you would go about designing your own splitter, for example! I've seen GI sourcing to be a common theme; is that pretty much the go-to, fairly safe place to tap for power for lower requirement/draw mods, like a couple LEDs? Just find any ol' GI, clip onto it, and boom, you're good to go? I know you wouldn't want to do that with too much, but for one or two small mods? I know this is a complex field, and I'm only just starting to learn about pins and electronics in general, but I'm very curious and would love to learn more! Any suggestions with poking around using a multimeter to find a preferred source, or anything like that?

#5 3 years ago

The leds draw such little current that it wouldn't be an issue just clipping on a couple sockets to power up a mod using led's. If your playfield has led's installed and/or the backbox they you have eliminated 90% of the original current draw, therefore extending the life of your transformer so you have ample current available for mods.

#6 3 years ago

I am using an LED strip light kit from comet to light the back strip. It is tied to GI on the playfield with the red and black clips. It goes on and off with the GI. You could do something similar with your lights and even have different lights in your topper linked to different lights in your playfield with no programming.

20200706_191123 (resized).jpg20200706_191123 (resized).jpg20200706_191519 (resized).jpg20200706_191519 (resized).jpg20200706_192622 (resized).jpg20200706_192622 (resized).jpg

#7 3 years ago

Jurrasic Park Light with 6 SMD Pad, 36", I think, extension Wire, and a Matrix bulb with splitter.
    Done in 5 minutes.

JP sign2 (resized).jpgJP sign2 (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/light-a-custom-topper-from-machine?hl=crile1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.