Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by cougtv
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

Hi guys.
    Got a question for you all. I am expecting my new monster bash in soon. And while I always hate moving the pinball machines into my house. As I got to go up a flight of stairs to get it in.
    I thought to myself how can I make this easier. Generally its not too bad to move once I have it in the house as I currently keep all my pins on the first floor.

I thought about getting these straps: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B008ASBLJI/

Or maybe this harness: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B011RZDAKS/

Which do you all reckon would be the best for pinball machines.
    And I don't want any be a man and just lift it posts.
    I can Deadlift over 450 pounds bench over 350 and I can press over 200 pounds over my head. I'm more than strong enough to lift. Its about being safer and making it easier. If I want to lift something heavy I'll go to the blooming gym.

Just curious what you all think... And I don't like a normal dolly as I think that would be too rough on the pinball machine. Moved lots of things with them in the past including pinball machines.. I just don't like using them.

#2 5 years ago

I have a pair of the forearm ones and they work well. Would still recommend keeping the machine in the box and using an appliance dolly.

#3 5 years ago
    Quoted from luckymoey:

I have a pair of the forearm ones and they work well. Would still recommend keeping the machine in the box and using an appliance dolly.

For this one... I might be able to do that... I'll make sure my brother brings his dolly over...
    But, I'd still like options like this for the future... As I might get a few older ones here and there... Not many as I prefer new machines.

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from luckymoey:

Get help and a dolly, ideally an appliance dolly. I have some of those straps and they are ok at best for hauling stuff in a straight line; going up and down steps with them is a nightmare.

Unbox game, secure to dolly, slowly and carefully two man move up the steps.

#5 5 years ago

I also vote an appliance hand truck. Especially out of the box they are great. I have 5 steps up into my house and it is so worth it.

#6 5 years ago

But, I'm afraid of scrapping the paint and just being too violent with the game. I have moved huge soda machines with my brother and other vending machines with his dolly... But, I think its just a normal furniture one...
    Don't know the difference. But, I do know I could use it for pinball. Just worried about damaging my game is all... I did take one up a big flight of stairs via a similar dolly... But, we had 3 people total helping. Just seems like a of one two three lift. ANd one two three lift...

Any way... As I said I've moved plenty of stuff with them in the past... But, its always been a pain and I just hate using them. Maybe I am using them wrong... I don't know... Just always think there could be an easier way... Maybe their isn't.... not until flubber gets invented...

#7 5 years ago

I have a terrible set up for getting pins in and out of my basement (curved stairs).

I used the shoulder hardness for awhile, and it was OK. Then I bought a nice dolly, and a $20 roll of packing wrap, and it works much better. The wrap keeps everything safe - walls and machine. Here is what I use - https://www.menards.com/main/home-decor/office-supplies/mailing-shipping-supplies/duck-reg-20-x-1-000-stretch-wrap/280797/p-1444442292685-c-7161.htm?tid=1517598525943286230&ipos=2

#8 5 years ago

That’s why I suggested keeping it in the box vs. unpacking outside. With it strapped to a good dolly and 2 people it should be easy. Carrying up steps is always riskier if someone missteps, etc.

#9 5 years ago

You could also offer to tip the delivery driver to help you take it right into the house. They’re not suppose to do it but most won’t pass up the opportunity.

#10 5 years ago

I have seen lifting strap wrapped around the axle or base of a dolly. It helps the lower person lift or lower the dolly smoothly on each step.

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from leesparts:

I have seen lifting strap wrapped around the axle or base of a dolly. It helps the lower person lift or lower the dolly smoothly on each step.

I like that idea... So... I'm going to go ahead with the dolly idea to bring it in. I did buy the lifting straps.... if that works well... Then I might move two of my older pinballs upstairs to my 2nd floor.
    I didn't want to have any upstairs... But, I need the room for the new ones that I am buying...
    I was going to pay a moving company to move those upstairs as my stairs suck. And have a horrible turn in them...

#12 5 years ago

Unless you have LOTS of room on your stairs in the box is a BAD idea....I don’t get why people have so many problems with stairs unless they are curved.

Appliance dollies are nice but not really needed. Plan ahead if there is a landing that you will have room to stand the game on end and make the turn of there is one. The guy at the top of the dolly doesn’t have to be the strongest guy in the world but ensure you have a good grip on the handle of the dolly. 1-2 people on the bottom giving a small lift/push to get up each step. Don’t rush. All this talk of straps is nonsense and a trip hazard more than anything. If you are holding straps your hands are not free to stabilize the pin if it it slips or shifts. And I can assure you NIB pins take MORE abuse on a road trip across the country than a going up and down a few steps.

And another option I have done when moving a pin downstairs by myself is to remove the head, pull the playfield out of the cab. Then move each piece and put it all back together. It’s not as bad as it sounds.

Everyone has their own approach so bottom line is do what you feel most comfortable with and be safe....no one wants to get crushed by a pin or hear of a pin getting damaged.

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pickle:

Unless you have LOTS of room on your stairs in the box is a BAD idea....I don’t get why people have so many problems with stairs unless they are curved.
    Appliance dollies are nice but not really needed. Plan ahead if there is a landing that you will have room to stand the game on end and make the turn of there is one. The guy at the top of the dolly doesn’t have to be the strongest guy in the world but ensure you have a good grip on the handle of the dolly. 1-2 people on the bottom giving a small lift/push to get up each step. Don’t rush. All this talk of straps is nonsense and a trip hazard more than anything. If you are holding straps your hands are not free to stabilize the pin if it it slips or shifts. And I can assure you NIB pins take MORE abuse on a road trip across the country than a going up and down a few steps.
    And another option I have done when moving a pin downstairs by myself is to remove the head, pull the playfield out of the cab. Then move each piece and put it all back together. It’s not as bad as it sounds.
    Everyone has their own approach so bottom line is do what you feel most comfortable with and be safe....no one wants to get crushed by a pin or hear of a pin getting damaged.

The steps going into my house are wide and not that many... I've moved 1 game in with my brother... Wasn't too bad. We did it fast. Then I moved one game in with my Step Dad... That was a bit precarious as I almost missed a step or two. And then I moved one in with my friend and that one was fast as well...
    It just sucks... And since it might be done in winter... I got to worry about snow.
    But, I think as I said I'll try the dolly out... Try one person on the side with the straps connected to the bottom. And then another person to assist.
    That should be fine... Or two people at the bottom... Am I over thinking this perhaps... I wish I was rich as I'd just get the stair climber dolly. That thing is nice.

#14 5 years ago

Stairs just suck in general and I think we can all agree on that.

Unless you move LOTS of games an escalera is not worth the cost. And those are not foolproof....there are plenty of people that have had issues using them as well. A good dolly and 1-2 reliable friends to help and sounds like you should be just fine in your case.

I feel for those with curved or tight stairs as they can be tricky.

#15 5 years ago

I have my games in my basement (15 steps) and have always used a dolly, moving 10 games down and 5 games up. I’ve found the most success having the game on the dolly covered with a blanket and using ratchet straps to secure the game. One person on the side towards the upper floor and two people towards the basement. One step at a time and take your time. Good luck with Williams wide-bodies and JJP machines. Never tried the straps on the game but used them moving a freezer and had balance issues.

#16 5 years ago

Lots of people do it, but I'd never have anyone on the stairs below a pin. Not worth the risk and not necessary.

#17 5 years ago

Just a quick sidebar comment not related to lifting. But since it is a NIB (pristine!)...and if you did take it out of the box, I would run over to a big box hardware store and get a spool of the plastic wrapping stuff and wrap that baby up! A cheap $10 investment to protect a $7K pin. Also, cut up the corners of the box so you can place them on the cabinet bottom edges to prevent any chipping, but make sure there's no staples left over that can cause damage. When I moved Houdini, I wrapped a couple of layers on, put the cardboard on the edges, then wrapped it up again. By the time I moved it, it looked like a mummy.

OK...back to lifting straps. I've often thought about getting some, but opted for a Harbor Freight appliance dolly.

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Just a quick sidebar comment not related to lifting. But since it is a NIB (pristine!)...and if you did take it out of the box, I would run over to a big box hardware store and get a spool of the plastic wrapping stuff and wrap that baby up! A cheap $10 investment to protect a $7K pin. Also, cut up the corners of the box so you can place them on the cabinet bottom edges to prevent any chipping, but make sure there's no staples left over that can cause damage. When I moved Houdini, I wrapped a couple of layers on, put the cardboard on the edges, then wrapped it up again. By the time I moved it, it looked like a mummy.
    OK...back to lifting straps. I've often thought about getting some, but opted for a Harbor Freight appliance dolly.

Yes, that all makes sense... I can "Borrow" some wrap from work.... And wrap it up nice and good... And I like the cutting the corners of the box... I might give that a try as well...

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from Diospinball:

Yes, that all makes sense... I can "Borrow" some wrap from work.... And wrap it up nice and good... And I like the cutting the corners of the box... I might give that a try as well...

Some of the packing material might even made for that purpose. Houndi had some I just reused.

And BTW, congrates on a NIB!

#20 5 years ago

You should get to the gym more often, those are weak numbers

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from lancestorm:

You should get to the gym more often, those are weak numbers

Considering I don't max out, and those numbers were taken at the end of my sets as I like to pyramid up... Sure... Weak numbers.
    I'm only 5'10''. And I lift more than most people at the gym. So anytime you want to lift together mate.
    Oh and I've also lifted 225 the bench press combine weight 22 times in a row without rest. So sure... Weak numbers...

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from luckymoey:

Lots of people do it, but I'd never have anyone on the stairs below a pin. Not worth the risk and not necessary.

gotta be a hulk to one man a heavy dmd game with a dolly up a flight of stairs.

when on the bottom under pin helping push it up the steps I feel pretty safe because i can use my legs and core to help. Even if the guy completely let go on top I could probaly keep it steady for a while.

I would be way more neverous going solo with a dolly up the stairs. When i do it solo the head comes off and the pf comes out. takes more time but makes it safer.

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

when on the bottom under pin helping push it up the steps I feel pretty safe because i can use my legs and core to help. Even if the guy completely let go on top I could probaly keep it steady for a while.
    I would be way more neverous going solo with a dolly up the stairs. When i do it solo the head comes off and the pf comes out. takes more time but makes it safer.

Agree completely with this.

#24 5 years ago

Buddy of mine brought some forearm lifting straps over to help me move a game in my house. What a bitch it was trying to get the damn game out of the truck which took way too long and more work then it actually was to get the game down the yard through the walk out. Pretty sure my back got all sore up just from that cause it was too awkward getting it out of the truck. We threw the straps on the ground and just muscled it like we always do. I wouldn't even try using those things again unless its a simple move.

I've had experienced buying a game from someone that had used a dolly and ratchet strapped his games. Moved everything himself so I'm planning on doing this going forward myself. Good to see the rest of this group seems to be in agreement with that method as well.

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from Diospinball:

Considering I don't max out, and those numbers were taken at the end of my sets as I like to pyramid up... Sure... Weak numbers.
    I'm only 5'10''. And I lift more than most people at the gym. So anytime you want to lift together mate.
    Oh and I've also lifted 225 the bench press combine weight 22 times in a row without rest. So sure... Weak numbers...

Sarcasm way over your head buddy.

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from lancestorm:

Sarcasm way over your head buddy.

It's true... But, you can't blame me... Amazon has delayed shipment of my sarcasm meter. I've been told its a really useful device.

2 months later
    #27 5 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

Not really. I have moved lots of games in and out alone and don’t think twice anymore.
    Escalera!
    I have up 13 then down 3 stairs with no way to turn around to get out of the basement. I have magnesium appliance dollies and the escalera. I only use the latter when alone because I have more control with it up and down. I do use straps and moving blankets!
    I avoid wide bodies though

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lifting-straps-or-lifting-harness and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.