Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by snyper2099
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20190109_153308088 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190109_150205_01 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190109_125721646 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190109_125438038 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snyper2099.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 4 years ago

JUST LEAVE THE FUCKING MYLAR ON THE GAME AND PLAY IT. GOD.

A few things could happen when you attempt to "fix it up" if you have zero experience with this kind of work. NONE of those things are good.

You are looking at a VERY time consuming job to remove mylar and to clean up the residue under it the CORRECT way... Hours of tedious work. If you have not already done this type of work a few times, you have exactly ZERO chance of improving the PF's condition.

You could practice on a scrap playfield maybe and gain some experience that way but I would recommend against cutting the mylar or whatever the hell you were thinking.

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

spray can stuff from Michael's

I would not recommend this but hey, it's your game.

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

I had some bubbling on my F14. Ended up removing the entire playfield mylar, cleaning, then putting new down. It was my first job so a little rough around the edges, but a vast improvement from purchase condition.

How many hours did it take you? I ask because I did the exact same game a few years ago and I swear I had 6-8 hours in that "cleanup", using the goo gone+flour method.

#13 4 years ago

So glad you posted those pics. If you attempt this, EXPECT all ARTOWRK TO BE DESTROYED. You may be able to avoid it, but you should never assume you can get ANY mylar off at all without also taking the art right along with it. Hopefully that alone helps the OP make a MUCH more informed decision.

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from northstar-:

I was reading about ghosting and how Vid went about fixing it.

That is NOT the same thing at all. He is repairing ghosting inserts with a syringe, not air gaps under mylar. Most two part clear might eat away at the surrounding mylar+glue and make a mess.

Not trying to be mean... I have just heard a LOT MORE bad results than good from "I'm going to try something with this mylar". Your mileage may vary.

I learned 10 years ago that it doesn't really matter what people post on pinside. Regardless if it's good or bad advice, people just do whatever they want any way so let it fly and let us know what happens. I hope it works out.

some recent examples:
    Obvious scam that's too good to be true? "Where do I send the money because I just can't miss out on this deal?" "My game wouldn't boot and Pinside folks helped me for free but I really don't like that forum because they didn't tell me to take the rusty balls out of the game." "My game is obviously worth 5 grand because I saw a guaranteed HUO one sell on Pinside or Ebay for that much." And it goes on and on and on...

3 months later
    #26 3 years ago

Please be specific. What “trick” are you trying to attempt here? Using a syringe on mylar to insert magic potions or release the air? (It does not usually work out.)

Just post some pics of what you’re attempting. There is likely a risky way and a super risky way. Choose wisely. If you want the truth, most people that attempt to “fix mylar” either screw it up so bad they need to remove it all anyway and just leave it off, or they just choose to pull it all to begin with and remove the glue afterward.

In most cases, people end up kicking themselves in the middle of the cleanup and asking, “why the hell didn’t I just leave it alone, it wasn’t THAT bad?”

Mylar is designed as a one time use product. Trying to modify it’s adhesion properties after it’s lost them is a fool’s errand. Leave it be and just wax it or, just yank it all.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snyper2099.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lifted-mylar-over-light-inserts?tu=snyper2099 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.