Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zacaj.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 5 years ago

Games like houdini and alice cooper are probably safer than you'd think, as they're all using P-ROC boards. More manufacturers using the boards means a better chance of replacement if any of the manufacturers dies out.

It's impossible to really speak to how reliable a board itself will be this soon. Early Bally boards are still quite reliable today, but early williams less so. Stern is probably safer than JJP as they're a bigger company. If any manufacturer's boards are going to be produced after they're gone, it'd be Stern.

Honestly, I don't think it's worth worrying about, at least for Stern. They're a large company with a lot of games out, and they're using the same boards in multiple games. Other manufacturers are still figuring out their board sets and keep changing them, or use lots of custom boards for each game, and might be a bit more dangerous down the road. Exception for games that use P-ROC like Houdini, TNA, etc. Even 40 years later most boards from the original wave of SS games when they were still figuring stuff out with sub-par electronics are still working fine; most boards now are going to be the same.

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Seems silly to worry about this in a world where people manage to keep 40-year old Atari and Zaccaria pins working.

A few people do. Most probably can't. Then again that's mostly true of EMs too

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from ThePinballCo-op:

Stern doesn't need to purposely make a machine that'll break in order to get people to buy new ones, they just need to keep churning out machines that are innovative, and sales will continue as a result.

Pinball machines are built to last. I've played on plenty made in the 40s, 50s, and 60s. Solid machines, and not going away any time soon.

Survivorship bias. Lots of them weren't solid machines, and now they're gone. There's no way to say for sure that the new distributed, surface mount design approach being used now will survive, since it hasn't yet. Stern can't know either, whether or not they're designing them to last. We've already seen multiple issues pop up that they hadn't foreseen.

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You can easily repair your System 1 or System 80 gottlieb, or fix your WPC GI or reset issue. It's not difficult to get any single pinball machine ever produced by a major manufacturer working again even if it's on the scrap heap.

Yeah, and they all use easy to replace through hole components. Which hopefully you can find, but sometimes you're still out of luck because they're just not made anymore.

But my point isn't that we can't fix issues that may come up, it's that just because Stern doesn't intend to make bad products doesn't mean they won't

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Why this possibility (which is present on any single electronic product you can buy) would prevent someone from buying a NIB Stern game in 2018 is a bit of a mystery to me.

Most electronic products don't cost $6k. And aren't filled with high power machinery.

As I said in my original post, I don't think it's worth worrying about, but some of the reasonings given don't hold up, and I'll point that out too. As much as they'll *probably* be okay, and if they're not the pinball community will *hopefully* be able to come up with fixes or replacements, it's just not something you can say with certainty, and it is a completely new+untested design paradigm

I've got two SPIKE games currently. Hell, I'd have bought an Alien if they were cheaper, and those boards were not confidence inducing. But then again I'm crazy

#17 5 years ago

Pinball is NOT becoming disposable, despite what you're reading. It's just a theory and it's a bad one at that.

There's no incentive to have them break in 5-10 years since people just repair the hell out of them anyway

When people talk about them being disposable, I don't think they're talking about the whole machine. They're talking about how the parts are designed without repairability in mind. If a node board breaks, you get an entire new board, and either throw away the old one or send it to stern, who probably throws it away too (hopefully after studying what went wrong).

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from andre060:

They are seeing a future where node boards are both unrepairable AND unavailable

ThePinballCo-op was specifically talking about games not being designed with planned obsolescence. Eg, Stern still exists and is making new games. Designing the boards to not be repairable isn't the same as designing them to purposely break after a certain amount of time. The rest of the game is designed the same way games have been for years (not disposably), it's just the non-repairablity of the boards that are an issue in that sense. People are also worried about being able to repair their games if stern goes under, but that's a separate concern.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zacaj.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lifespan-for-nib-machines?tu=zacaj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.