(Topic ID: 253449)

Life events that make you loose interest in Pinball?

By Vdrums

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Daditude
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

While I loved pinball as a kid, my interest got reignited about 2 years ago after visiting Silverball Museum in Delray and seeing how far JJP had progressed the hobby.

I kinda became obsessed, visiting Pinside several times a day, buying a TAF to enjoy while deciding what nib JJP machine to get (which I never did) and even creating and pitching a treatment for dramatic web series about a young team of dreamers trying to create their own pinball machine and get it picked up by a manufacturer.

But lately I find my interest in pinball has wained. Sure I still play at home on an occasional weekend late night, but no more playing on locations several times a month, and checking Pinside every day.

I’m kicking my business into high gear (a comedy feature film - I loved the “favorite comedy” thread here a while back) and perhaps the stress and anxiety of coordinating many elements with lots of uncertainty and demanding star talent has really taken a toll on my pinball passion.

Has anyone else found they totally loose interest for long stretches at a time?

Does it return, or does pinball take a permanent backseat to life and just become an occasional distraction?

#2 4 years ago

Just like how romance takes a back seat to kids, pinball can take a back seat to life. But there will be a time when it returns. Pinball, like love, is forever. Or so my bsd says....

#3 4 years ago

Kids out if the house give me more time to devote to hobbies. I’ve been into pinball high gear five years. Before that I was into jukebox collecting/restoration 110%. I don’t see pinball interest wavering for awhile.

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from Vdrums:

Has anyone else found they totally loose interest for long stretches at a time?

Everybody has ups and downs and changes in their life.

There are times when you might need a break. To remember what about pinball you liked. And then concentrate on that. And one day you might recapture what about pinball made you happy.

LTG : )

#5 4 years ago

I have a few down months a year where I would hardly ever play my own games or work on games. I still like to check pinside daily to see what's going on but that's about it. I'm still in a league so do go to that once a week and play 4 games a week. I don't play any warmup games or practice. This is my summer and early fall. Once the York show comes back to town in October then I switch gears and and am hooked again.
    So nothing wrong with losing interest for a while. Just normal.

#6 4 years ago

I had 5 games, loved to always tinker with them, played daily. Then I sold them when we bought a house. Upgraded to my first NIB. Played like an animal for a couple months. Then spent a couple months doing a main floor Reno, kitchen and bath. That took all my energy and money. Now I’ve just been busy with life and barely play once a week. I’ve considered selling my game, but talk myself back from the ledge. I know once it’s gone I’ll never get it back, and I’ve put too much into getting the game how I want it.

My retro video games have sat idle for too long also. I’m beginning to make a priority of enjoying these things again. You gotta make time to have fun

#7 4 years ago

Meth

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

I have a few down months a year where I would hardly ever playing my own games or work on games.

Quoted from LTG:

Everybody has ups and downs and changes in their life.

There are times when you might need a break. To remember what about pinball you liked. And then concentrate on that. And one day you might recapture what about pinball made you happy.

I haven't really touched any of my own games since August. Prepping multiple games for the two shows I attend, plus the one I organized really wore me out this year. On top of that, I was doing repairs/maintenance on the side about once a week.

So, I was basically working on pins almost non-stop between March and August. It's probably going to be a little while yet before I feel up to working on my games again. But I also have another hobby that I've been keeping me busy in the meantime.

#9 4 years ago

I lost interest in a great many things ...7 Years ago next Month

It was a week before Thanksgiving, I was working on the set of the show "Dallas"

I was cast to work 3 Days, after 2 Weeks on set, my last Day I got a call telling me my rental had been robbed and burned to the Ground!

My collection was lost, and it took 6yrs to find my passion again...

Now I am back, with a purpose...

Darren

#10 4 years ago

I play far less pinball during the warmer months then the winter months. From the end of Feb. to mid November I'm an avid fisherman and have been my whole life, each year pinball takes a back seat during that time.

#11 4 years ago

I go through the same thing. I’ve been in the hobby about 7 years. I’ve gone hard in and hard out multiple times. I’ve had as little as one machine in my basement and then two weeks later I have 8 down there. I’m known to be an all or nothing kind of guy. It’s just the way I’m wired. I’m in the “all in” upswing right now. Maybe I’m bipolar. Who knows.

What I do know is that I will always love pinball and always come back to it.

#12 4 years ago

I owned a Black Knight around 1989 that had problems that I fixed. Sold it when I moved around 1990. Got an AC/DC Premium sometime last year and I have played it non stop. I have played pinball since I was a kid and I just wanted to have a machine at my house. I don't really have room for any more, but I might one day in the future. My teenage kids didn't really know anything about pinball before I got it. It doesn't have a keyboard, a controller or a joystick, so they are just confused.

#13 4 years ago

I dumped all my games 30 years ago, when I had my first child.
    around 30 prewar games, and a bunch of EMs.
    Definitely one of those life events.

But I started up again.

Then I sold off Again, with Heart Surgery,

But I Started up Again.

I did this one more time, and Im in the middle of this, but I figure the cycle will continue.

#14 4 years ago

Thanks for all the input - hopefully I won’t have to sell my TAF if my project runs over budget !!!

#15 4 years ago

Sometimes you have to have something for yourself. If you don't, you may go insane.

Don't sell TAF. You will regret it.

#16 4 years ago

Sorry random bitching so I deleted it.

#17 4 years ago

It's better to loose interest rather than lose it altogether I would say.

#18 4 years ago

I lost interest for about 4 years, during a painful separation. Now I have 30 machines, so yeah, I'd say the passion returned. However, I foresee downsizing a lot in the coming years, and getting it back to a more manageable level.

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

I lost interest for about 4 years, during a painful separation. Now I have 30 machines, so yeah, I'd say the passion returned. However, I foresee downsizing a lot in the coming years, and getting it back to a more manageable level.

When you get rid of taxi, feel free and let me know

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/life-events-that-make-you-loose-interest-in-pinball?hl=dent00 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.