• Stranger Things 134 votes
    39%
  • Neither 56 votes
    16%

(343 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Schwifty Things.jpg
futurama-is-better-than-rick-and-forty-bite-my-shiny-metal-ass-1523821519 (resized).jpg
20BAB737-DA54-450E-BA5B-47BEB492124A (resized).png
Screen Shot 2019-12-06 at 11.33.52 AM (resized).png
A1F461B9-2114-453F-8F08-D9E11F31A6B1.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zablon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 4 years ago

Nah, two new pins with themes that are post 2010? I'm interested in seeing where both go.

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from BoJo:

This is what I hate about Stern. They did it with TWD and now JP. For location games where I can barely hear the audio that is fine but if I'm buying a game for my home collection then I want the full package and not some generic zombie or dinosaur game just using the license as the title and art. It's one of the reasons I enjoy the Soprano's and if they made it today it would probably be a generic mafia game with Soprano's artwork.

This is also my thought. The whole JP thing turned me off, but I haven't played it yet, so I haven't completely dismissed it, however I would have preferred a completely original generic ripoff of JP game, than the 'half license' way they went about it.

#48 4 years ago
Quoted from freakandgeek:

True most adults cannot afford a pinball...but a show based in the 80's with appeal to people that are GenX obviously has more potential sales. Rick & Morty is a show geared towards teens or people in their twenties.
I have never watched Rick & Morty, the only people I know that have watched it are my son and maybe a few of his buddies. They can afford a burger and shake after class but are years from being able to buy their own pinball machines.
I am sure their are some older manboys that are fans of the show, but in general one license clearly is more in the sweet spot here.

Demo for R&M is 24-39....and it actually does well with far beyond that range.

#52 4 years ago

Ultimately, it won't really matter, only 750 R&M are being made. Those 750 WILL sell out. If Stern makes a ST, it will sell way more than that just because they will be making more of them. There...debate resolved.

#56 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Spooky’s only making 750. So, I’ll bet Stranger Things. Lol.
If Stern was making both? R&M. Pinball buyers love HUMOR. Humor is rare when most licensed games are based on serious/action subject matter or music. R&M is one of the funniest shows on TV, and having it’s main funny voice guy doing custom callouts is going to be amazing.
Again, you total underestimate the show’s popularity with the pinball buying demographic.

Could be a toss up to gameplay if it was on a even playing ground. The potential for great games is there for both these properties. I honestly can't speak to which is 'more' popular, but integration of those properties is crucial to have a good game, at least to me.

#73 4 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Stranger Things is of course a better license and in my opinion a better theme, I'm sure RM is a great show too but how you translate these into a Pinball game is what really matters. With SS, you have Hawking's Lab, you have the Demogorgon, you have Will's hideaway..all of these can be a central toy or sculpt...then there is the music, and all the memorable quotes. You have the struggle of defeating gov agents, the Demogorgon and escaping the upside down...What is the central theme of RM? Is it easily identifiable as SS?

IMO R&M is way more translatable to pinball than ST. If you've never watched it, I don't see how anyone can make an opinion on one vs the other and most of the people who are saying this haven't even watched it. I'm not expecting that everyone will like it obviously, but it is very as good a theme for a pin as any other tv/movie/cartoon. Ultimately it will come down to how it is integrated into the rules and gameplay. Both could be homeruns, both could be turds. Either way there will be people on both sides saying they are the best games ever and worst games ever.

#75 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Which brings up the old question ... if Spooky can sell all the machines in a month, shouldn’t they figure a way to churn them out faster than 18 months? Asking someone to wait 6 mo is about the limit of what is reasonable. Spooky needs to expand, in spite of what Charlie thinks.
If Spooky sells it, they need to build it, and that means quickly. Maybe the new model should be sell however many can be built in six months. In this case Spooky needs more horsepower.

The ever evolving question of, build as you sell demand, or build ahead of time then sell (eliminating waiting). That is the problem with many people these days is attention spans and immediate gratification ends up in them quickly changing their mind to the next--

Oh look at the squirrel!

#85 4 years ago

Honestly..not sure I trust 'google trends' to tell me anything. I've never googled either show, and I love them both...

#124 4 years ago

It isn't Stranger Things..that's just their code working name for their next music pin: Stryper

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Trade
$ 8.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 35.00
Playfield - Other
HurryUpPinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Machine - For Sale
Vaughan, ON
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, TN
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 22.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 300.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zablon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/license-wars-rick-amp-morty-vs-stranger-things?tu=zablon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.