Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 112 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by PeterG
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

images-3.jpeg
    Big_Bass_Wheel_Pro_Jackpot.jpeg800_(resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider EalaDubhSidhe.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#72 7 years ago

One thing to remember is that franchises don't just pop out of nowhere; they're like any other idea, at one point they had to start from scratch and earn their own popularity and status. Simple name recognition cheapens the whole deal IMO; as long as you create something that captures the public imagination in a manner that they'll 'get', you stand a much better chance of coming away with a product which both you as designer and the players and buyers will be satisfied with. And you can still create something 'original' within a licensed framework; the two best examples that spring to mind being CFTBL and Monster Bash. If it weren't for the Universal Studios name attached to them, you'd swear both games - one being about 50s movie culture and the other featuring the characters in a completely uncharacteristic scenario for laughs - were dreamed up by John and George after a hard night on the piss.

#83 7 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Monster Bash has the kind of crazy, lateral "so dumb it might just work" thinking we just don't see in pins anymore.
    Had they done that theme "straight" it would have been really disjointed with monsters "stuck" in their own worlds with no connection to each other.
    Pinball. Bring the crazy back!

It isn't about 'crazy', it isn't even about 'funny' per se. It's about character, and despite the theme proving a bit of a no-show here in the UK, America's Most Haunted was clearly reaching for the same vibe.

I still want to make good, imaginative games with their own character. I thought I had it with CAH; it was never pitched right at the time, but I certainly wouldn't rule out giving it another go.

#107 7 years ago

This is why I'd like the virtual and the real to be able to complement and essentially test-market each other more. Create a digital app version of the original themed game you'd like to make, let it find its audience, and if it proves popular enough, build it.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider EalaDubhSidhe.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/license-vs-own-design?tu=EalaDubhSidhe and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.