By Galacnor

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

Good afternoon,

My Williams Liberty Bell has a problem where the outholes will not kick out the pinball when it falls into them, seems to happen randomly. If a Tilt is caused, it will spit them out. When the pinball sticks in the holes, and after powering off the machine, a click is heard after being off for about 5 seconds. I assume that is the Pause relay disengaging. After turning the machine back on after this audible click, the problem stops until it decides to start doing it again. Which is about every 10-20 games or so. I assume the culprit is the pause relay staying engaged longer than what it's intended to. I am not sure of the cause.

Thanks for your help in advance.

#2 1 year ago
Quoted from Galacnor:

the outholes will not kick out the pinball when it falls into them

Assuming you mean the holes near where it says "Lites Double Bonus When Lit", and not the outhole which is below the flippers, do the Score motor and Eject relay activate when this happens?

#3 1 year ago

I would suspect the score motor. At some cam positions, it’s working, and at others, it isn’t.

Refer to paperwork and check those switches. P

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from HowardR:

Assuming you mean the holes near where it says "Lites Double Bonus When Lit", and not the outhole which is below the flippers, do the Score motor and Eject relay activate when this happens?

Yes, correct. Sorry for using the incorrect term for term for these. All three of them do this, where it says Lites bonus when lit, and at the top.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I would suspect the score motor. At some cam positions, it’s working, and at others, it isn’t.
Refer to paperwork and check those switches. P

I'll check on that. I've tried manipulating the score motor to turn when this happens, it makes a full rotation without ejecting the ball. If that is an indication of anything. I've noticed it tends to do it after the spinner targets are hit.

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from HowardR:

do the Score motor and Eject relay activate when this happens?

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from Galacnor:

Yes, correct. Sorry for using the incorrect term for term for these. All three of them do this, where it says Lites bonus when lit, and at the top.

I'll check on that. I've tried manipulating the score motor to turn when this happens, it makes a full rotation without ejecting the ball. If that is an indication of anything. I've noticed it tends to do it after the spinner targets are hit.

Yeah I had this issue too...check those spinner relays carefully under the playfield as well, if they are acting up weird stuff can happen.

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from HowardR:

Score motor does not move when this issue occurs. When in that condition and a ball falls in one of the cups, nothing happens. When the score motor is manipulated to do a cycle with a ball in the cup, it does not result in the ball being ejected. I'll have to look for the relay you are referring to. I am guessing not since there is no audible 'click' when the switches for the cups are pressed.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yeah I had this issue too...check those spinner relays carefully under the playfield as well, if they are acting up weird stuff can happen.

Other than making sure they are not touching when neutral, is there something else I should check for with the spinner switches?

#8 1 year ago

When the spinners turn they activate their own spinner relays. On each of these relays has a normally open switch that when closed will pulse the delay relay. The delay relay is a timer that uses a capacitor to keep the coil pulled in until the capacitor charge is depleted thru the coil, and the relay opens. The one switch on delay relay is a normally closed switch that opens the holes activating switch circuits when the delay relay is pulled in. Clean and adjust delay relay switch if needed. Inspect delay relay for not releasing properly, magnetized armature plate, sloppy return action of the armature plate.

#9 1 year ago

Another thing to check, next time it happens, turn off the machine, remove ball, lift playfield and see if the score motor is seated in its final rest position. It’s possible that a slight overturn is causing this.

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballdaveh:

When the spinners turn they activate their own spinner relays. On each of these relays has a normally open switch that when closed will pulse the delay relay. The delay relay is a timer that uses a capacitor to keep the coil pulled in until the capacitor charge is depleted thru the coil, and the relay opens. The one switch on delay relay is a normally closed switch that opens the holes activating switch circuits when the delay relay is pulled in. Clean and adjust delay relay switch if needed. Inspect delay relay for not releasing properly, magnetized armature plate, sloppy return action of the armature plate.

Quoted from Mikala:

Another thing to check, next time it happens, turn off the machine, remove ball, lift playfield and see if the score motor is seated in its final rest position. It’s possible that a slight overturn is causing this.

Thank you both for your responses. I will check to see if it either of these issues.

To get a better look at the pause relay operating, what normally should activate it? Just the spinner targets? I suspect that you might have hit it on the nail there. Another thing I see this machine do is that the ball will sit in the cups for a few seconds before the score motor starts to move and then they get spit out. The capacitor could be getting charged for longer than it should, or there is power charging it when it shouldn't be getting it.

#11 1 year ago

The left and right spinner relays are the only relays that pulse the delay relay.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
$ 24.98
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/liberty-bell-outholes-inoperative-intermittently and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.