(Topic ID: 277307)

Liability of selling mods for pinball

By pinball_mutha

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

screen-capture-4 (resized).png
    873AD909-8A1E-4ED0-90F8-D47157B63706 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Elvishasleft.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

My guess is a lot of mod makers just don’t see it as an appreciable risk. But if you really want to eliminate the risk, then probably the best thing is to set up an LLC and get general liability insurance.

My guess would be most mod makers have never even thought of this scenario.

#21 3 years ago
    Quoted from sethi_i:

Probably right. They're not blowing up the thread with "what I did was..." stories.

Lol... yah insurance is one of those things you ignore or cross your fingers until you need it.

If you are selling a product you need liability insurance and yes its expensive.

#23 3 years ago

here is all you gotta do if you sell products... just watch TV during the day and evening, pretty much any local programming or news and make note of how many lawyer commercials come on.

In any given day 100 maybe? Now... commercials are expensive so how do lawyers afford such things? They sue companies for all kinds of shit.

If you sell a product that could electrocute someone or cause them to electrocute themselves or installing it could accidentally cut their finger off.. or could damage their property.... or even if they think its scary and it causes them to lose sleep and causes "emotional distress"

People will sue for just about anything these days and there are no lack of lawyers to take the case.

#36 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinball_mutha:

The service outlet would help for sure, but I did some checking and found that it is always on.
    I suppose you could connect a remote controlled outlet to it, but there again the user is still responsible to turn it off.
    So someone that buys a curling iron or or heater that doesn't have an auto off feature, what do companies do in those situations, I would think that would be a huge risk leaving it to the user to make sure they turn it off. If a curling iron burns down their house because they forgot to turn it off, I wouldn't think they could go after the manufacturer because they didn't follow instructions, or could they?

Since you keep asking the same question over and over I think you know the answer..

If you are risk averse (which you seem to be) and selling a product you need insurance...

You of course do not have to have it but anyone at any time can sue you for pretty much anything.

Even if you are just a person and not selling anything if you have any net worth to protect you should have umbrella insurance.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Elvishasleft.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/liability-of-selling-mods-for-pinball?tu=Elvishasleft and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.