Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 443 posts
  • 92 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by PersonX99
  • Topic is favorited by 19 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2p3k8s (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_3027 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2427 (resized).JPG
    44666564 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1548 (resized).PNG
    IMG_1547.PNG
    IMG_2421 (resized).png
    fo3 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1046_edit (resized).jpg
    image.jpeg
    Night Names (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    There are 443 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 9.
    #351 7 years ago
    Quoted from Dooskie:

Another great response might be 'I love you and you will always be able to count on your parents.' I'm sure that would definitely make them happy.

Well I'm pretty sure they already know that. I have a great relationship with my kids and they know they can talk to me about anything....and they do.

#352 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

The Silverball Museum in NJ had one the last time I was there.

Lucky north-east!

#353 7 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

I'm sayin.. the people using the words may not understand the meaning, even though you do. I also think uncommon is a good term.. the opposite of common. 9 out of 10 is pretty common, 1 in ten is pretty uncommon. Semantics

I get it but the same as hearing "not normal," my problem is that there's more normal about my boyfriend and my relationship than abnormal! Most of it is talking about each others' days, making dinner, playing with dogs, hugging, and playing pinball

The same way it's uncommon to be an accountant, since most people aren't, or uncommon to live in Oregon, because most people don't, or uncommon to have an affinity for [blank] in a partner... perhaps it's uncommon that I got my BF so in to pinball to the point where he's a kick-ass pinball prodigy It's less common to be queer than not, but I context impacts how I feel when I hear "unnatural, uncommon, or abnormal."

#354 7 years ago

The terms abnormal and unnatural have an implication that something is wrong. Common/uncommon simply counts frequency. People often interchange them accidentally so I just let it go, sometimes gently correcting them..

I judge people on how they act more than the specific words they use. You can usually suss out the jerks pretty quickly by their behavior, and fortunately there aren't too many of them involved with pinball. Jokes, even crude ones, never offend me, unless they're terribly unfunny (in which case they only offend my sense of humor) After 22 years of seeing trolling taken to new levels on USENET, repeated IRC wars, 4chan.. oh man /b the original cesspool, etc etc.. the few trolls we have here don't even compare.

#355 7 years ago

Yes - context - I agree! I was just contributing my perspective, having had the obligation of thinking this through a few times throughout my life because of experiences like the one I shared in the thread a couple days ago, no judging included

#356 7 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

Well I'm pretty sure they already know that. I have a great relationship with my kids and they know they can talk to about anything....and they do.

I wish my dad would have been more like you. We haven't spoken in nearly a decade, and even then it was not even a yearly occurrence to speak. It's a shame for both parties, but I'm nearly certain we won't ever speak again during his (or my) lifetime. I still remember being younger and someone mentioned that one of my friend's was gay. He so seriously & quite angrily yelled that "they better not be!". I'll never forget that. After witnessing his reaction to someone that wasn't even in the family, I never felt that I could honestly be myself around him.

On the bright side, he did like pinball at least.

#357 7 years ago
    Quoted from mcc:

I get it but the same as hearing "not normal," my problem is that there's more normal about my boyfriend and my relationship than abnormal! Most of it is talking about each others' days, making dinner, playing with dogs, hugging, and playing pinball
    The same way it's uncommon to be an accountant, since most people aren't, or uncommon to live in Oregon, because most people don't, or uncommon to have an affinity for [blank] in a partner... perhaps it's uncommon that I got my BF so in to pinball to the point where he's a kick-ass pinball prodigy It's less common to be queer than not, but I context impacts how I feel when I hear "unnatural, uncommon, or abnormal."

Well, I can at least say that I'm not an accountant!

(Not that there's anything wrong with accountants)

#358 7 years ago
    Quoted from Playmatic:

I wish my dad would have been more like you. We haven't spoken in nearly a decade, and even then it was not even a yearly occurrence to speak. It's a shame for both parties, but I'm nearly certain we won't ever speak again during his (or my) lifetime. I still remember being younger and someone mentioned that one of my friend's was gay. He so seriously & quite angrily yelled that "they better not be!". I'll never forget that. After witnessing his reaction to someone that wasn't even in the family, I never felt that I could honestly be myself around him.

That's really sad. I feel sorry for you.

#359 7 years ago
    Quoted from mcc:

Lucky north-east!

Well, it's still a 4 hour drive for me, so not so lucky

#360 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

The Silverball Museum in NJ had one the last time I was there.

Supposedly moved it to Florida location, I was bummed!!

#361 7 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Supposedly moved it to Florida location, I was bummed!!

I heard that too, but I saw it was still listed on the website for the NJ location, so I dunno.

#362 7 years ago

yep there is a silver ball arcade down here. i havent been. not sure if it is associated with the one in NJ. I do support this group i am hetro and really dont care about a persons preference. To me its all about how people treat each other. Seems to be a lot of interest in this group and i guess i will have to read more in this forum to really understand.

Happy gaming in 2017. Keep gaming and having a good time.

#363 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I heard that too, but I saw it was still listed on the website for the NJ location, so I dunno.

When were you there? I was there this past Easter week & it was gone. Hobbit in its place. I was told by an employee it got moved to Delray Beach.

#364 7 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

When were you there? I was there this past Easter week & it was gone. Hobbit in its place. I was told by an employee it got moved to Delray Beach.

Well, now that I think about it, probably the Fall 2015. Guess it's been longer than I thought.

#365 7 years ago
    Quoted from jlm33:

That's really sad. I feel sorry for you.

Wow....parents can be cruel. However, you are probably better off not having someone like that in your life. I have known adults who put up with horrible, homophobic behavior from their parents. It really messes with their head, and often the person is a bit homophobic themselves. Yes, a homophobic homosexual is generally very toxic to the people in their lives. I have known several of them, and I avoid them as much as possible.

As I got older, I came to the conclusion that if I cannot be myself around other people, I need to find other people to be around.... Did it.... Much happier now. Playing pinball with people like that is "blissful enjoyment".

#366 7 years ago
    Quoted from Playmatic:

We haven't spoken in nearly a decade, and even then it was not even a yearly occurrence to speak. It's a shame for both parties, but I'm nearly certain we won't ever speak again during his (or my) lifetime.

You know after that long sometimes people realize that its not worth losing someone for something like that. Olive branches sometimes work miracles?

#367 7 years ago
    Quoted from Travish:

You know after that long sometimes people realize that its not worth losing someone for something like that. Olive branches sometimes work miracles?

Sometimes being the key word. Some people look for some redemption....others (most) never change.

#368 7 years ago

Yes but if you try and fail what have you lost?

#369 7 years ago
    Quoted from Travish:

Yes but if you try and fail what have you lost?

Dude who are you to guilt someone into reaching out to someone who has scarred and hurt them? They do not owe their shitbag parent anything. Leave it alone.

#370 7 years ago

High road taken except to say feel free to put me on ignore. Actually please do.

#371 7 years ago

On second though who are you to speak for someone else. If Melody is offended she will PM me and I will apologize. I actually know people who didn't speak for years and worked things out. I guess you are against people reconnecting?

#372 7 years ago
    Quoted from Travish:

On second though who are you to speak for someone else. If Melody is offended she will PM me and I will apologize. I actually know people who didn't speak for years and worked things out. I guess you are against people reconnecting?

It depends on the relationship. If it's just because of a difference of opinion, sure, it's probably ok to try to reconnect. If was an emotionally abusive relationship, then it's probably not generally a good idea to reconnect.

#373 7 years ago

Sadly that's not an uncommon story, I know multiple people who were disowned and kicked out as teenagers, which I think is really sad. Thankfully they found their way with help from others, but not everyone's so lucky. And a lot of people are just not allowed to be themselves around family - I vividly remember my dad's ex obstinately referring to my husband as my "friend", as if she were just mentally blocking it out.

#374 7 years ago

Now now, no reason to argue about my father situation, I'm an adult and can handle things. He still stays in contact with my sister and speaks poorly about me to her (like he even knows me?) so nah I don't plan to make any efforts to reach out. My mother and sister get along with me fine, I'm not completely shut off.

So anyway, back to pinball. Been playing Antar all morning and my index finger is sore from the plunger, lol. ^_^

#375 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

It depends on the relationship. If it's just because of a difference of opinion, sure, it's probably ok to try to reconnect. If was an emotionally abusive relationship, then it's probably not generally a good idea to reconnect.

slippery slope

#376 7 years ago

BTW, PezPunk is a good overall ally for everyone and I consider Travish a friend, so there's really no reason for arguments between two people that are both trying to look out with different perspectives. My dad's not worth it, not for me let alone this forum. I'll reconnect if my sister ever relays something positive. Long story short he left in my youth and we've spoken maybe 8 times since, about 6 via phone & 2 in person all in over 2 decades. No birthday or Christmas cards even. As he wasn't there as a father I do not feel he deserves me as support in his old age. We're both bitter.

I'm much more concerned about LGBT youth and parents in the now than LGBT adults with less than ideal family when it comes to advocacy. We can only hope each new generation pushes civility & understanding towards a better direction.

#377 7 years ago

My brothers' husband is a dutiful son who has very bigoted parents. He tried to come out once, but it did not go over well. He basically went back into the closet, and they pretend he is an eligible batchelor.
    My brother is fine with the situation. He is glad not to have to spend time with them. My brother says he is just waiting for them to die off.
    I consider myself lucky to have had such progressive parents and grandparents. I would hate to think what views I would hold if I hadn't.

#378 7 years ago

Any have/play a Ghostbusters? I recent got one and decided to leave the "scare mode" feature on during one of my monthly events. If you dont know what this is, it is a feature that when a ball enters a scoop, the game appears to shut down and a scary face animations appears on the DMD along with a forced HIGH VOLUME scream from the speakers. The game resumes after the scream is complete and you have a chance to change your undies. Hilarious to watch a grown man jump in the air when that goes off and they weren't expecting it. Of course, in the other room, you hear the clever remarks like, "Did "x" just spot someone wearing what after Labor Day..... Did Beyonce show up unannounced.... etc..." Oh, the fun we have.....

4 months later
    #379 6 years ago

So how is everyone doing? I finally lugged my pinball machine into my bedroom (trust me, it's nice to have some action in the bedroom). *Zing*

So what's the latest in the pinball world? Anyone here pick up any new pins?

Well wishes to all.

#380 6 years ago
    Quoted from Playmatic:

So how is everyone doing? I finally lugged my pinball machine into my bedroom (trust me, it's nice to have some action in the bedroom). *Zing*
    So what's the latest in the pinball world? Anyone here pick up any new pins?
    Well wishes to all.

Welcome back.
    Stern announced new Star Wars / alien trying to go belly up / jpop saga the same / kuleks showing how big of scammers they are / Dutch pinball probably finished / nicovolta has a cool thread where he is on a road trip fixing stuff / stern cabinets falling apart right out of the boxes but looks like they got their clear coat fixed / usual pinside drama.

That's about all.

#381 6 years ago

RE: Star Wars - I'm crossing my fingers that Poe and Finn do turn out to be interested in each other, which would dramatically increase the potential of having LGBT characters on a pin in the future.

#382 6 years ago
    Quoted from Travish:

Welcome back.
    Stern announced new Star Wars / alien trying to go belly up / jpop saga the same / kuleks showing how big of scammers they are / Dutch pinball probably finished / nicovolta has a cool thread where he is on a road trip fixing stuff / stern cabinets falling apart right out of the boxes but looks like they got their clear coat fixed / usual pinside drama.
    That's about all.

Damn! Nice update!

#383 6 years ago

Hey all,

I'm new but a pinball fan and LGBT advocate and ally so this seems like a good place to say hello. My gf (Playmatic) is far better than I am, but hey, it's an excuse to play more! My favorite tables are Twilight Zone and Elvis (super creative name, I know) as it's the only one I've ever managed a high score on. Nice to meet everyone

#384 6 years ago

I hope the King hasn't left the building

I definitely enjoy hearing from you all.

#385 6 years ago

In my pinball world two months ago I moved White Water and Road Show in to my then partner, now fiance's house The family that flips together stays together!

1 week later
    #386 6 years ago
    Quoted from mcc:

In my pinball world two months ago I moved White Water and Road Show in to my then partner, now fiance's house The family that flips together stays together!

Omg, congrats!!! ^^

I hate to disappoint you, but the machines never made their way to my house?? You probably should call NAVL and file a claim. :p

#387 6 years ago

When my wife and I got married 20 years ago, our gay and lesbian friends were at the wedding. I've always been an ally, and that proved to be important when our son came out to us as bi at around age 14. It's a non-issue for me. We have fights about chores and homework, normal stuff. He's 18 now, and is going to college in the fall. I think we did a good job with him. I can't imagine abandoning a kid over his or her sexual orientation; I hope those parents are the exception and not the rule.

#388 6 years ago

Thank you Playmatic, and everyone else for the thumbs ups!! I'm ecstatic over it, and not least by how in to the machines he is - serious pinball protege Playmatic, come up to Seattle to play them!

Swampfire, thank you for the allyship and congratulations for your son's going off to college

#389 6 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

When my wife and I got married 20 years ago, our gay and lesbian friends were at the wedding. I've always been an ally, and that proved to be important when our son came out to us as bi at around age 14. It's a non-issue for me. We have fights about chores and homework, normal stuff. He's 18 now, and is going to college in the fall. I think we did a good job with him. I can't imagine abandoning a kid over his or her sexual orientation; I hope those parents are the exception and not the rule.

You sir, are AWESOME!

#390 6 years ago

Was this Gottlieb's first depiction of gay characters? (Top Card)

IMG_2427 (resized).JPGIMG_2427 (resized).JPG

2 weeks later
    #391 6 years ago

Can we bring this dying club back to life? *throws some glitter*

#392 6 years ago

Can anyone guess my sexuality or gender?

IMO I'm completely pinsexual (no judgement pls)

(Hey Travish, no vote since I consider you my friend)

I'm Travish-sexual, but he's got an extremely stunning someone. The good ones are always taken. He's got a gorgar an more, don't tell me that isn't a thing? Chill folks, "Gorgar Beat You".

I've got a __friend anyway, but s/he just doesn't own any pins and I think I'll have a nervous breakdown soon.

#393 6 years ago

IMG_3027 (resized).JPGIMG_3027 (resized).JPG

Oh wait, you said I couldn't guess. Never mind.

Did you see vids "pinball is gay" thread? Was expecting a implosion but was actually pretty good.

2 weeks later
    #394 6 years ago

Hi all, another queer pinballer here. Just wanted to chime in and say hi, and that I appreciate this thread exists!

#395 6 years ago

ah.

#396 6 years ago
    Quoted from weasley:

Hi all, another queer pinballer here. Just wanted to chime in and say hi, and that I appreciate this thread exists!

Welcome!

#397 6 years ago

Hi weasley!

#398 6 years ago
    Quoted from weasley:

@weasley, you are in my neck of the woods. How come we haven't seen you at a FlipOUT event?

#399 6 years ago
    Quoted from PersonX99:

weasley, you are in my neck of the woods. How come we haven't seen you at a FlipOUT event?

Because I had no idea it exists!

10 months later
    There are 443 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lgbt-and-allied-pinball-club/page/8?hl=jreedie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.