Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by DennisT
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Like the title says, I am looking for the Space Shuttle Roms formatted to work on a SYS11 MPU board, or instructions on how to put the ROM files together myself. I've used google, but have come up dry.

Thanks!

#2 5 years ago

You are putting a System 11 MPU in your Space Shuttle?
--Scott

#3 5 years ago

Just as a temporary measure. I have 2 SYS9 boards that are both dead. While they are getting repaired I'd still like to be able to play my machine and I have a spare sys11 board in my stash.

#4 5 years ago

I was unaware of the physical compatibility between System 9 and 11. I am just curious how you plan on hooking these up. To my knowledge, this is not going to be easy.
--Scott

#5 5 years ago

Send me an email and I'll send the images over.. Or I can program a set if you need them.

johnwartjr@johnwartjr.com

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

I was unaware of the physical compatibility between System 9 and 11. I am just curious how you plan on hooking these up. To my knowledge, this is not going to be easy.
--Scott

The boards are actually very, very close to the same. Largest difference is that the sound section on the SYS11 board will do speech, so the separate speech board isn't required.

Quoted from johnwartjr:

Send me an email and I'll send the images over.. Or I can program a set if you need them.
johnwartjr@johnwartjr.com

Email sent, thanks!

James

#7 5 years ago

Very interesting. When you get this running, I would definitely think it would be a cool write-up to read. The System 11 boardset would seem like a better option in terms of reliability compared to System 9.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

Very interesting. When you get this running, I would definitely think it would be a cool write-up to read. The System 11 boardset would seem like a better option in terms of reliability compared to System 9.

The system 9 board is very close to a system 11 board. The sound section is a bit different and the ROM sizes are different.

Actually a system 3-7 board really isnt all that much different than system 9. The driver board is just combined with the MPU. Lamps, switches, solenoids, are all driven in the same way.

#9 5 years ago

I got the binaries from Clay's site back in the dark ages

From the readme:

These are the Williams System 9 ROM files for SPACE SHUTTLE,
*reformatted* to be used in a System 11 CPU board!
For more information on this modification, see
http://marvin3m.com/fix.htm and go to the System 11
repair guide. Files ending in ".128" are for a 27128
EPROM. Likewise files ending in ".256" are for a 27256
EPROM.

Here are the DOS commands used to create the new ROM files:
copy /b cpu_u49.128 cpu_u21.128
copy /b spch_u5.732 + spch_u5.732 + spch_u6.732 + spch_u4.732 cpu_u22.128
copy /b cpu_u20.128 + cpu_u20.128 cpu_u27.256

So, you're putting U49 in u21, combining the speech ROMs into a single ROM at U22, and doubling up the CPU ROM and sticking it in U27.

#10 5 years ago

I had no idea it was actually going to be that easy. I will hopefully have this up and running this afternoon at some point. Thanks for the files John!

#11 5 years ago

That's awesome, thanks John! Got plenty of 11 boards around, but no 9's. So if my original board goes at least I have something I can replace it with.

Bill

#12 5 years ago

I'm not going to get to burning the roms I need and trying this out tonight, but I promise I will post an update as soon as I do.

5 years later
#13 4 months ago

Since the last poster didn't follow up I wanted to say I just finished installing a system 11A board in my Space Shuttle. Useing the dos commands I programmed new EPROMs and they worked perfectly. Just saved myself over $300+ buying a Rottendog board.

#14 4 months ago

Do you happen to have those ROMs available? I have a Rottendog 9-11 board and have jumbled sound on my SS. It is currently being worked on by Mr Knight but would want to have this as a backup. Thanks!

1 week later
#15 4 months ago

I have the rom images. Do you have a way to program the EPROMs?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 14.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
1,600 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Champaign, IL
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Sale Pending!
Fort Wayne, IN
2,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ham Lake, MN
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
Lighting - Other
Professor Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside