Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by ToucanF16
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 8 months ago

Just thinking... if I get a new PF module, would it be Lexy or CCR?

Both have had some updates, both have at least 1 mini game which works exclusively with that play field .. both seem highly regarded by the P3 community .. I know CCR has the head to head aspect, which I could take advantage of in a few months (long story)

So... if you have played both, what’s your experience ?

#2 8 months ago

I don’t know Lexy but I love me some Creedence Clearwater Revival.

1 month later
#3 6 months ago

Did you end up picking one?

I’d say get both at some point but ccr if you can play online sooner or want to play ritr and lexy if you want a deep mode offline game

#4 6 months ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Did you end up picking one?
I’d say get both at some point but ccr if you can play online sooner or want to play ritr and lexy if you want a deep mode offline game

I did - I ended up getting CCR. I decided I have several stop & go type games, and wanted one with a little more flow. I really like RITR and honestly think that is the 2nd best P3 game behind Heist. CCR just feels completely unfinished to me. I can't find the flow, and everything just feels kind of clunky. I can somewhat chalk it up to unrealistic expectations - I was expecting sort of a "mario kart" approach to the game, which is -kind of- what the arcade mode does, I don't think it works. I LOVE that other racers can block you and put up the walls, but it happens too infrequently and I think the game mechanic needs to be rethought. (I can hear the chorus now: "so build your own game!"). But for a machine that has 2 HUGE screens, basically nothing ever happens on the screen. The attract mode has TONS of animations that are never even used in the game, for cryin' out loud.

I know there was a huge update recently to add the "Career" mode and I do know I'll be looking forward to playing online. I still have the CCR playfield in - and when I turn on the game every day, I almost always pick RITR. I never have that 'one more game' with CCR, which is BAD. I'd really like to try out Lexi and see if I'd prefer that, but I'm not buying anything else for quite a while.

#5 6 months ago

Glad I saw this post. That is what I was worried about with CCR. I love the "look" of it with all the lights and ramps. But gameplay videos just look bland. Guess I will wait for the next module.

#6 6 months ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I can't find the flow, and everything just feels kind of clunky

Are you talking about mechanically? If so, there may be something off with your game. I think the CCR playfield flows amazing. The loop shots are so smooth. It's so fast I can have trouble stringing shots together once the ball gets cookin. I'd get to the bottom of this first.

As for the polish / immersion of CCR, I can't really disagree with your statements. Of the 3 main cornerstone games, CCR is a distant 3rd for me behind Lexy and Heist. But RitR is great and really makes choosing the Lexy vs. CCR playfield more challenging. I heard from a little birdy that there may be something major and unrelated to the existing games coming out for the CCR playfield. If true, it could definitely breath new life into what I think is still a fun playfield layout.

As for CCR specifically, it was originally just the Arcade mode. Gerry was going for the Mario Kart thing, and I never really felt like it worked. The game always felt flat, and as I watched early development, I didn't like how certain features would get removed (like multiball) in favor of trying to replicate the kart racing aspect.

To me, the Career mode is a huge improvement over the Arcade mode. It added completely new rules and objectives. It's fun. But let's face it, it was an afterthought based on feedback about Arcade mode, and presumably was therefore not given the amount of attention that Lexy and Heist got in terms of fleshing out the experience. My big gripe with everything CCR is the lack of personality.

Both Lexy and Heist have lots of characters with really good voice acting and enough story and surroundings to make you feel part of the world. CCR has always felt so thin because there isn't any story or connection to who's in it or what's going on. You jump in by picking a character, but they all seem to race the same to me, and other than the occasional exclamation, you don't ever see or hear them. So character selection is very vanilla. And this continues with the gameplay. What am I racing for? No story there at all. Before I can race, I need to earn money by completing jobs, but what are these jobs? Hitting a few green shots isn't pulling me into whatever the side job is. Same for time trials and multiballs. If there was a Lexy / Heist level story and personality to CCR, I think it would have a totally different reception.

Given that the company vision was kart racing first, and the fact that they've coded a "full" CCR twice, I'm guessing it's unlikely they will go back and give it the fleshing out it needs to be a really good game. It's a shame. I really like the concept of a true racing game, but you don't get as much of that vibe as I'd like. I'm guessing they won't cost-justify additional expansion of this title, but I really with they would.

That said, if there's truth to another game coming to this playfield, it could really help take advantage of P3's flowiest layout. I can't wait.

#7 6 months ago

All I’ll say is both Lexy and CCR are great games, but online head to head CCR is the most fun I’ve had playing pinball in my house. Definitely grab the latest version, jump on the discord, and and organize some races. To me it’s a much more fun version of competitive pinball than turn based score chasing.

#8 6 months ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Are you talking about mechanically? If so, there may be something off with your game. I think the CCR playfield flows amazing. The loop shots are so smooth. It's so fast I can have trouble stringing shots together once the ball gets cookin. I'd get to the bottom of this first.
As for the polish / immersion of CCR, I can't really disagree with your statements. Of the 3 main cornerstone games, CCR is a distant 3rd for me behind Lexy and Heist. But RitR is great and really makes choosing the Lexy vs. CCR playfield more challenging. I heard from a little birdy that there may be something major and unrelated to the existing games coming out for the CCR playfield. If true, it could definitely breath new life into what I think is still a fun playfield layout.
As for CCR specifically, it was originally just the Arcade mode. Gerry was going for the Mario Kart thing, and I never really felt like it worked. The game always felt flat, and as I watched early development, I didn't like how certain features would get removed (like multiball) in favor of trying to replicate the kart racing aspect.
To me, the Career mode is a huge improvement over the Arcade mode. It added completely new rules and objectives. It's fun. But let's face it, it was an afterthought based on feedback about Arcade mode, and presumably was therefore not given the amount of attention that Lexy and Heist got in terms of fleshing out the experience. My big gripe with everything CCR is the lack of personality.
Both Lexy and Heist have lots of characters with really good voice acting and enough story and surroundings to make you feel part of the world. CCR has always felt so thin because there isn't any story or connection to who's in it or what's going on. You jump in by picking a character, but they all seem to race the same to me, and other than the occasional exclamation, you don't ever see or hear them. So character selection is very vanilla. And this continues with the gameplay. What am I racing for? No story there at all. Before I can race, I need to earn money by completing jobs, but what are these jobs? Hitting a few green shots isn't pulling me into whatever the side job is. Same for time trials and multiballs. If there was a Lexy / Heist level story and personality to CCR, I think it would have a totally different reception.
Given that the company vision was kart racing first, and the fact that they've coded a "full" CCR twice, I'm guessing it's unlikely they will go back and give it the fleshing out it needs to be a really good game. It's a shame. I really like the concept of a true racing game, but you don't get as much of that vibe as I'd like. I'm guessing they won't cost-justify additional expansion of this title, but I really with they would.
That said, if there's truth to another game coming to this playfield, it could really help take advantage of P3's flowiest layout. I can't wait.

Couldn’t have said it better myself. You are spot on with the lack of connection to the game. There are all those aliens driving the cars - but they don’t talk, and you never see them again. I have to say I actually got a little mad when I saw how much time was clearly spent on the attract mode video - there is a lot of implied potential there!

I really don’t find the playfield flowy - but I see how it should be. I’ll hit a couple really nice shots to the orbits or inner loop, and then suddenly the ball will go all crazy and I can’t get it under control. I’m sure some of it is my playing too, but I’m not a terrible player.

I really wish I’d understood Multimorphic’s sunk cost of CCR (and unlikely future updates) before I dropped $2500 on the playfield instead of getting Lexy. That said, trying to look on the bright side here - maybe someone will come up with another game eventually - I want to do one myself, but won’t have time for a few months.

I think Heist is amazing, and I’m psyched for that next update, as well as eventually getting into a network game of CCR. That is definitely a draw. Anyway, I didn’t mean this to turn into a crap fest about CCR. I’ve bought basically every game for the P3, (bah except Barnyard!) so I’m trying my best to support the team.

#9 6 months ago

Just wanted to add on that the playfield layout itself is great - it would make a phenomenal foundation for another future game.

Maybe if there’s another game that ends up surpassing CCR in interest, they’d consider open sourcing CCR. I have some ideas, and basing them on the existing game (even if I can only play it on my own machine) is a lot more attractive than starting from scratch.

#10 6 months ago

So I would like to invite you Rdoyle to some multi-player for CCR which I find is a ton of fun with discord. It really adds a lot I think to the game. I personally really like the change of pace from Hiest or lexy which adds a lot I think to how the P3 can play differently which each playfield.

I dont want to get bogged down directly arguing points you made but hope that with some time maybe you find more enjoyment out of the module, I know that I do.

I like the rules there and maybe there could be some more callouts while in arcade mode/ races themselves like when you get passed or use/get hit with item, however those are things that can totally be added with feedback just like how they added career mode after the fact as well.

Anyways If you want to do some discord CCR hit me up, happy to add you and get a game going with some other P3 guys!

#11 6 months ago
Quoted from SevenEightyRacer:

So I would like to invite you Rdoyle to some multi-player for CCR which I find is a ton of fun with discord. It really adds a lot I think to the game. I personally really like the change of pace from Hiest or lexy which adds a lot I think to how the P3 can play differently which each playfield.
I dont want to get bogged down directly arguing points you made but hope that with some time maybe you find more enjoyment out of the module, I know that I do.
I like the rules there and maybe there could be some more callouts while in arcade mode/ races themselves like when you get passed or use/get hit with item, however those are things that can totally be added with feedback just like how they added career mode after the fact as well.
Anyways If you want to do some discord CCR hit me up, happy to add you and get a game going with some other P3 guys!

I can't wait! Maybe this weekend

#12 6 months ago

I'm obviously biased since I made a game for the playfield, but I really love the geometry of CCR. It's extremely fast, when you're hitting your shots, and a lot of fun.

I wanted to get more enjoyment out of having the CCR playfield installed, so I made RITR. At the time, the minigames only worked with select playfields, so when you had CCR installed, that was the only game to play. The addition of career mode helped, but one of the strengths of the P3 is being able to play a variety of games quickly. I really like the career mode (though it's really hard!), and the arcade mode is definitely fun - each course having different shots that need to be made is a pretty unique idea. When I first started playing, I was not switching my items using bottom flipper buttons, but now it's something I pay close attention to (to get the best item for the situation).

Paying attention to the course also helps, when you're on a stripey section, the captive ball lights - smack it and get an item - pretty satisfying!

Online multiplayer is indeed very fun, and I've had a lot of great time with the game in that way as well.

Regarding making a game, the SDK is really, really great about helping you get started. They provide you with a sample game to modify and with the new target, scoop, etc events it's a snap to get up and running.

#13 6 months ago

Oh and let me also say that I didn’t intend to shame anyone for having their own opinions about any of these games. If you think Heist sucks, it might hurt my feelings, but I think people can make valid criticisms of any game. The great thing about the P3 is that there is such a wide variety of games that you don’t have to love them all.

But SevenEightyRacer said it best with his invitation to try out the online head to head with the discord channel. Being able to hear each other in real time while racing just adds so much to the experience, and makes navigating the race organizing a lot easier, especially with the online head to head still in beta and some people needing to bail on a race occasionally.

Pm me for an invitation link to the discord, and then from there you can try to plan a race in the future. Just keep in mind you might not be able to get short notice races going unless someone is free and happens to have CCR in. I might be able to swap it in this weekend some time if you wanna try it out. Just let me know!

Oh and Pod is the best cart and if you don’t agree then you can pound sand.

#14 6 months ago
Quoted from Sjsilver:

Pod is the best cart and if you don’t agree then you can pound sand.

Lol, and also this is true.

Quoted from Sjsilver:

The great thing about the P3 is that there is such a wide variety of games that you don’t have to love them all.

This is also true.

I happen to like some of the more nuanced stuff in CCR, but I'm hopeful that some of it will surface a bit more in future updates (like the layered music in career mode! Didn't even notice it until it was pointed out, which is good and bad).

#15 6 months ago

Bad moon rising. Always.

#16 6 months ago

i'd have gone lexy. the huge ball lock is so radical!!!

2 months later
#17 4 months ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

I don’t know Lexy but I love me some Creedence Clearwater Revival.

In all seriousness, what is CCR??? This obsession with only using initials in pinball gives me a nose bleed.

#18 4 months ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

In all seriousness, what is CCR??? This obsession with only using initials in pinball gives me a nose bleed.

Cosmic Cart Racing:

https://www.multimorphic.com/store/p3-game-kits/multimorphic-game-kits/cosmic-cart-racing/

#20 4 months ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Ok that actually looks pretty bad ass

and it has Ranger in the Ruins for the pf...which is ultra addicting.

#21 4 months ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

I thought the same when I first got interested in pinball. It didn’t take long and I was speaking the language!

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside