• 25 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by talspach
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Just had the opportunity to play LL @ CAX2015
This is a great game. I love the way the different modes create different scenes on the playfield and being able to track your progress without looking up at the backbox is a definite ball saver . The machine felt solid and the gameplay was fast and fun. The only negative for me was that I had to step aside and let others play. I am not too good at writing long winded reviews, but I was impressed enough to want to get other's impressions.

#2 8 years ago

I agree. It was really good and unique. I can't wait for it to be out. The game played great in my opinion.

#3 8 years ago

Would love to see some video of the game at CAX if anyone has some.

#4 8 years ago

I got a little video of the flipper mechs for a friend. BRILLIANT design. They were snappy as hell and felt great. https://carousel.dropbox.com/photos/cc/pOpSs3CNWSKGFbQ

I enjoyed the game as well. It had an issue with miscounting balls during the multi game we played, but bugs happen. There are 3 buttons per side - one dedicated to selecting which mode will start next (for Lexy). With so much flexibility around the software, there's so much they can do with these buttons and other things.

The Multimorphic panel was interesting as well. Turns out the little bumpers that swallow balls at the top of the LCD are actually part of the platform - not the modular part at the top. He was talking about all kinds of mode opportunities that resemble something like Missle Command, where you fire at stuff without having to worry about the rebound - like firing a gun.

I hit one mode where you weren't able to hold the flippers at all. It's just firing off shots with about 8 balls coming your way trying to hit targets.

VERY impressed so far.

#5 8 years ago

It's an interesting "real" pinball/virtual pinball hybrid. Real flippers and reals balls combined with real and virtual targets. The flipper design is very nice and the flippers felt strong. I liked how the ball would "leave a trail" on the virtual playfield. I would definitely like to play it more to experience the different modes.
The creators said the price would be $8-10k with future upgrades available for around $1,500. At this point I'm on the fence as to whether the p3 distinguishes itself enough from a virtual pin to justify that kind of price.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from KenPin:

It's an interesting "real" pinball/virtual pinball hybrid. Real flippers and reals balls combined with real and virtual targets. The flipper design is very nice and the flippers felt strong. I liked how the ball would "leave a trail" on the virtual playfield. I would definitely like to play it more to experience the different modes.
The creators said the price would be $8-10k with future upgrades available for around $1,500. At this point I'm on the fence as to whether the p3 distinguishes itself enough from a virtual pin to justify that kind of price.

Any machine with an actual ball is better than a virtual pin. I'm not sure if you've ever played a virtual machine, but they play like absolute garbage compared to the real thing.

#7 8 years ago

Yes definitely better than a virtual pin. I enjoyed the novelty of it. I am attracted to the ability for future upgrades. I'm on the fence about the price, but all the new pins are $8k plus these days and $10k by Christmas. With a significant amount of the game being virtual, I wish they could bring it in at around $5k and then sell additional programs for it for $1,500 or so.

#8 8 years ago

In my opinion it was a good proof of concept, so far I like classic machines and pin 2000s I hope that the company will later on make better games with better themes but I love the idea

#9 8 years ago

Really taking things to the next level IMO. Great integration very unique experience. I can see this being a huge hit if priced reasonably. My only gripe was the ramps and shots were all a bit too deep probably due to LCD screen. I hope in the future there may be a way to put some ramp entrances closer to the shooter. All in all this was a very impressive machine with great potential. The cab art are all magnets so you can easily change it to a different pin. That is just awesome!!

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

I can see this being a huge hit if priced reasonably.

I think it's supposed to be close to $10k for the initial game package, right?

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I think it's supposed to be close to $10k for the initial game package, right?

I'm not up to speed on the price point. At that price Id probably pass but I am very intrigued by the potential.

#12 8 years ago

So does this game come with bells or chimes? At 10k I would hope for bells.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

I'm not up to speed on the price point. At that price Id probably pass but I am very intrigued by the potential.

Checked the Multimorphic website to make sure I was remembering right:

"When we ask for payment for your machine, you'll have a choice of available price/configuration options. Final details will be determined then. We expect to offer options such as:

Option 1: $9,995 (Price Exclusive of Taxes and Shipping Costs)

P3 with two games (Lexy Lightspeed - Galaxy Girl and Cosmic Cart Racing)

Option 2: Price TBD

P3 with one game (Lexy Lightspeed - Galaxy Girl)"

#14 8 years ago

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post here since I played the P3 at Pintastic and not CAX, but playing it in person makes you realize how amazing it is and that every video you've ever seen of the game is only a tiny percentage of the real, in-person experience.

I liken it to a Tivo/DVR before they were commonplace; if you've never owned one, you can't understand why you need it... "I have a VCR, what's the big deal?" Once you've used it for a little while, you get it. Then you're forced to be one of those folks trying to convince people who haven't used it that it's great. Put simply, you need to experience it to fully understand it.

The price point issue is a tough one. On the one hand, $10k is a lot of money. On the other hand, it's $10k for two games, on a revolutionary platform. Moreover, it's only "nominally" more that the LE version of MMr, and that thing sold like hotcakes.

While "he who shall not be named" would stop someone from releasing a P3 add-on game called, say, Attack from the Fourth Planet (that reproduces the layout and expands the ruleset to fully leverage the P3), the more important point isn't that there is no technical limitation preventing such a game from being created on the P3. And really, that's just the tip of the iceberg...

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from Mocean:

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post here since I played the P3 at Pintastic and not CAX,

I started this thread as well, but more information in one place is more fun

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whos-gotten-to-play-lexy-at-shows-this-summer-caxpintasticreplayfx

$10k for two games plus what's basically a pinball maker's sandbox. That's compelling to me and I've never seriously considered purchasing a NIB game before.

#16 8 years ago

Yes! Lets hear more from people who have finally gotten to play the game in person! Everyone who played it at any show should chime in. Thank you for making this thread. Let's get more people talking about this platform!

#17 8 years ago

So what's the story these days with P3? Was the CAX version that much different than what was shown at Expo '14? Is there a manufacturing/release date plan?

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

So what's the story these days with P3? Was the CAX version that much different than what was shown at Expo '14? Is there a manufacturing/release date plan?

Yeah, and is Cosmic Cart Racing something people have actually played? I've only seen it running as a screensaver style demo, so I have no idea how it even plays.

#19 8 years ago

I asked and Gerry said they're making good progress on it but getting Lexy done is their first priority. I was very impressed with what I saw.

I can't blame them for wanting to keep the focus on the one game right now and for keeping some new things close to their vest. Multimorphic (and PinballControllers) are really a pioneering force in pinball.

Quoted from Aurich:

Yeah, and is Cosmic Cart Racing something people have actually played? I've only seen it running as a screensaver style demo, so I have no idea how it even plays.

#20 8 years ago

I was surprised how much I really like this game. My initial reaction was that it was a "virtual pinball' game, until I played it (again and again).

P3 has really come a long ways. LL was one of my highlights at this year's CAX.

#21 8 years ago

Anyone else pick up on the crazy lucrative bonus and the staggered bonus multiplier awards? I don't know that it is intentional but it lends a pretty interesting risk/reward element. Took me something like fifteen games to figure out as well.

For those that haven't played/noticed, the bonus is relatively large compared to the game scoring - a really good score from what I can tell is around 10 million-ish, bonus can be a third or more of that if you insta-kill aliens with the sniper shot or get the swamp insect virtual target frenzy.

The bonus multipliers are based on the lane rollovers, but they have staggered awards, something like 1-3-7-15 completions to advance the multiplier, and the progress doesn't reset between balls. ie, if you get one completion on ball one and drain, you get 2x and to get 2x again on ball two or three you need three completions. So if you wait until ball three to try and finish the lanes it could pay off as the flat bonus accumulates, but only if you manage to get enough completions before draining.

Silly thing maybe, but I was trying to exploit the heck out of it when I thought we might have to play it in league here.

#22 8 years ago

I always seek out the P3 when Gerry brings it to the shows we are at. In fact, we were so busy this year that I only got to play 4 games: No Fear, Kingpin, Varkon and Lexy. The P3 is an engineering feat, without a doubt.

I thought the flippers felt better/more solid. Rory described the changes made to make the flipper mechs more rugged because they were "tearing themselves apart." I had wondered how the other mechs would last over time and it looks like the real world use lead to some design tweaks.

At this show I played multiplayer with Todd Mac and another (missed his name) so I had the chance to watch the game being played. I'll admit, I pay more attention to the engineering accomplishments than the game's "story/theme" so I can't really comment much on Lexy itself.

I have a lot of respect for all the work that it takes to develop something like the P3.

Aaron
FAST Pinball

#23 8 years ago

So did any of you watch the video introduction that set up the story?

#24 8 years ago

The intro video is pretty good - that along with the "Escape from Earth" really gets things going pretty well, particularly compared to how it was in 2014 or even a few months ago. When I first played it at TPF 2014 I didn't understand the theme or approach at all, I was convinced it was a Dagobah-style swamp planet with car mechanics instead of yodas, "Lookie" probably had something to do with that as well.

I think the video would be more impactful on the back of the machine or somewhere else the second-third player can see it. I almost always play ball one when showing people machines, giving tips etc. so new people (who would want to see the video) wouldn't see it unless we all crowd around. Not always the easiest to do with games in a row. Although, based on all those pictures of groups of kids checking it out from previous shows, maybe the crowd-around approach is a good one.

The audio's also great on the intro, it's crazy how you don't realize most pinball machines don't have stereo sound, but probably should.

3 weeks later
#25 8 years ago

This was the highlight of CAX for me. I hadn't really paid attention to it before, but seeing it in person and then playing on it...wow.

The flipper mechanism (mounted on the sides, not the bottom) is really unique and while they feel a little different, it wasn't bad, just different.

I'm looking forward to more details on pricing/release dates when they are finalized...it's going to be tough to choose between this and the new JJP Pat Lawlor (I'm assuming that will be spectacular, because I really want it to be).

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 30.00
Playfield - Plastics
Chrome Candy
Plastics
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
Chrome Candy
Plastics
$ 12.00
Playfield - Plastics
Chrome Candy
Plastics
$ 17.00
Playfield - Plastics
Chrome Candy
Plastics
$ 20.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lexy-lightspeed-cax-2015 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.