20190303_123449 (resized).jpg
20190303_091331 (resized).jpg
20190303_110233 (resized).jpg
20190302_175114 (resized).jpg
20190302_150127 (resized).jpg
20190302_175617 (resized).jpg
20190302_152600 (resized).jpg
20190301_110729 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mathazar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#473 5 years ago

UPS says my playfield protectors for Black Knight and Eight Ball Deluxe will arrive by tomorrow evening. Can anyone who has done either of these machines give me a head's up on what I'll be needing to remove from the playfields to install? I suppose it may become obvious after looking at the protector, but having a little advanced warning beforehand to get my head wrapped around what the job will entail would be helpful. Thanks in advance....

#479 5 years ago

My BK and EBD protectors just got delivered an hour ago - my Ring porch video seems to show the packaging intact. I'll find out in a couple hours when I get home!

#483 5 years ago

My BK and EBD protectors were delivered today, packaged well, no damage. No extra shim/scrap pieces for BK, tho (I was hoping they had started doing that). Will be installing at least one of them this weekend.

1 week later
#492 5 years ago

I installed two this weekend:

Black Knight
This pin has good playfield artwork with little wear, but lots of cupped inserts. It drove me crazy when the ball would roll over one and radically change into unnatural directions! The protector fixed that 100% and even gives off that clear-coated playfield look. Ball speed is still very fast and seemingly unaffected by the protector (I keep BK at around a 7 degree pitch). One problem I ran into was with the rollover switch for the Extra Ball/score at the end of the upper ramp...the protector "surrounded" that rollover and occasionally the wire for the rollover would get caught underneath the protector. The other problem was the right two ramps were now slightly lower than the lower playfield protector and the ball would "hop" a bit coming down the ramp. If the ball went slow enough, I could see it also getting caught in that gap and you'd need to nudge it out. I solved both problems by snipping the end of the protector by that Extra Ball/score rollover, then cutting that snipped part in half, then using them as shims for bringing the two ramps up to the same height as the lower protector. Overall very pleased.

Eight Ball Deluxe
This pin also has good playfield artwork. It doesn't have any cupped inserts, but the playfield is slightly rough in both the right and left inlanes where the wire lane guide meets the flipper. If you trap the ball with either flipper to set up a shot, then release the flipper, the ball stays were its at and does not roll down. You have to nudge the machine to get it started. I could try sanding those areas a bit more aggressively than I've tried, but that'll bring up the paint and then I'm faced with artwork touch up issues that are beyond my skill set/comfort level. Added the playfield protector, and the ball rolls smooth as silk now in those spots (and all over the playfield as well). I had to raise the inline 2x/3x/4x/5x targets a smidge to get them level with the protector so that the ball doesn't get stuck or hop, but that was no big deal. As with BK, action remains fast without needing to adjust the pitch (I keep EBD at around a 6.5 degree pitch).

I'm currently trying to get a non-working Mata Hari project up and running. If successful, I'll be adding a protector to that machine too!

Here are some pictures - Black Knight after the install, the protector piece I cut off of BK then cut in half to use as ramp shims, and the Eight Ball Deluxe after the install.

BK After 01 (resized).JPGBK After 01 (resized).JPGBK Mod (resized).JPGBK Mod (resized).JPGEBD After 03 (resized).JPGEBD After 03 (resized).JPG
1 month later
#529 5 years ago
Quoted from durgee7:

After all the cleaning, playfield and protector finally staying clean. Thanks to everyone who helped!
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

durgee7 - what media are you using in your tumbler? I'm in the process of tearing down the topside of my Mata Hari to prep for a hardtop install and I'm thinking about buying a tumbler to clean up the screws and smaller stainless steel parts. Is it loud? Tumble for 24hrs?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mathazar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lexan-playfield-protector-install-and-review?tu=mathazar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.