20190303_123449 (resized).jpg
20190303_091331 (resized).jpg
20190303_110233 (resized).jpg
20190302_175114 (resized).jpg
20190302_150127 (resized).jpg
20190302_175617 (resized).jpg
20190302_152600 (resized).jpg
20190301_110729 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#191 7 years ago

Played a Bally Star Trek all weekend with a protector on it.

There were some issues. The game played strangely off the slingshots and sometimes had very odd English.

I think it's a good product for a game with very messed up inserts or other issues like that, but I don't see why you would install one on a playfield that's in nice shape. To "protect" it?

People are way too preoccupied with that. Games in home use simply don't wear significantly.

1 week later
#211 7 years ago

Why are people installing these things on their pinball machines with clearcoated playfields in brand new or nice condition?

Stop it. This is the equivilent of putting plastic wrap on the furniture. These games don't play right with this lexan protector rattling around and nobody knows if they will actually end up causing damage. You are ruining your games...unless of course you don't really care how they play which is probably the case for many folks here.

#217 7 years ago
Quoted from Level3623:

My pins gets played 8 hours a day non stop in my freeplay arcade. I've seen damage with new playfields even with regular cleaning and waxing. Non one gives a shit if they roll different, most don't even understand one rule. I can barley tell the difference. Maybe this operator who probably never cleaned or changed out the ball listened to your advise.

First off I wasn't talking about route operators, I was talking about home owners.

Second we've all seen that picture a million times and it is either a fake or something was very wrong with the playfield or pinballs.

#219 7 years ago
Quoted from VacFink:

that is crazy wear for a modern pin, I wonder how many plays that machine has on it. Curious to know if its abuse or poor playfield performance with abuse.

We've all seen the photo but nobody knows who took it or where the game was located. Speculation is it's fake. I'm inclined to agree, or there was a serious defect in the clearcoat or the pinballs. Regardless it really shouldn't be cited as a reason to slap a loose sloppy clear TV dinner platter on top of your playfield.

I played a Bally Star Trek all last week that had one of these on it. I wasn't impressed with the looks, the play, or the feel of it. In some spots the ball was slow. In some it was fast. Flipper hops and airballs off the slings happened all the time. It was certainly noticeable in appearance (saw it right away) and there were even spots with cracks on the protector. Strictly as a last resort in my opinion and on a game with a good playfield in a home environment there's absolutely no reason to use these.

#221 7 years ago

They play like ass. That's "ruining" your game.

#223 7 years ago
Quoted from nephasth:

Matter of opinion. Yours, of which, I care not.

Thanks for pointing that out. Very helpful.

This thread is about Lexan protectors. People are supposed to provide their feedback. Sorry you don't like what I have to say. I think people thinking of installing these might be interested in my opinion, rather than people who have already bought one and somehow have their feelings hurt that not everybody loves them (that's so weird).

Your Games must have been a freaking mess before you put these on if they play better now.

#227 7 years ago
Quoted from nephasth:

Yup. Grand Lizard was beat to shit. Yup. Gorgar had cupped inserts. And it seems the majority of opinions of these protectors on older games is positive.

So you and I basically share the same opinion - that these are best used as a last resort on beat up games and probably aren't necessary for playfields that are in nice shape. I'm glad we were able to find some common ground, I look forward to reading more of your opinions! Thanks for participating in the discussion.

#229 7 years ago
Quoted from nephasth:

No. We don't. And you are not welcome.

Come on dude, that's no way to start the healing process.

I gotta admit, the last thing I was thinking when I woke up this morning was "some guy is gonna hate my guts by 3pm because of my opinion on Lexan protectors" but the world can be a surprising and magical place!

#231 7 years ago
Quoted from nephasth:

You sure like to assume what I think and feel. Must be nice living in fantasy land.

Must be nice living in Wyoming. The scenery is breathtaking!

1 week later
#286 7 years ago
Quoted from pookycade:

I am highly interested in these. Waiting for a Mr and Ms Pacman to come out as the cupped PAC maze and sunken digital display are so bad that any ball trajectory and hold up off of them is possible. These are a godsend for EMs and early SS that need substantial rehab on the playfield. Sure clearcoat is possible but is cost and time prohibitive. This is the perfect solution.

This isn't the ONLY solution.

The thin crazy glue method works very well and costs about $8.

1 month later
#311 7 years ago

I got to encounter another game with the playfield protectors, this time a Flash Gordon at Magfest.

Needless to say, this game had more stuck balls over the course of the weekend than any other machine, and it wasn't even it close. The ball was getting stuck on rollovers and right above the flipper on the upper playfield.

Don't understand why this protector was on the game, the playfield was in very nice shape. Seems games with star rollovers are a very bad choice to use these protectors with - though I don't understand why you'd use them at all unless the playfield is a lost cause absolute mess.

The FLippers' Bally Star Trek was also at magfest in the free play bank. I played one game on it. A ball got stuck on a rollover (a regular one) necessitating a tilt. What else is new.

#315 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

That was my game Levi. It was on there as an experiment more than not. The game actually has repainted portions and its to protect that (and to generally just form an opinion on the product). I assume on Saturday the lower PF and ramps were no longer an issue? I took the upper piece off entirely when the star rollovers had no more chance. The ramp entrances I tweaked on Friday... and again a second time and I think I fixed it then (so the lower should have played fine on saturday).
For contrast, the Monster Bash had one on it as well... but didn't have the PF elements Flash Gordon did and I don't think it caused any hangups.

I'll be honest with you, I didn't notice the Bash had one on.

Like I said I don't think these protectors work well with rollover games (classics) at all, especially star rollovers. I did play the FG during the finals on Sat. and it played MUCH better - again I didn't notice the protector was removed but it played well, and I got my two best scores on it.

1 year later
#389 5 years ago

Ok I currently own my first game with a playfield protector, a gorgar. I didn’t install it.

Feeling the playfield with my fingers, I feel a definite “sink” when I press down. I can only assume the ball does this as well.

Are these things supposed to sit super snug on the playfield, or is this normal? I will say the game appears to play fine and I haven’t noticed anything particularly odd yet with ball movement.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
Tools
Pincoder Store
Tools
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
Playfields
Troxel Repair
Playfields
$ 150.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop
Displays
2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Branford, CT
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lexan-playfield-protector-install-and-review?tu=crazylevi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.