20190303_123449 (resized).jpg
20190303_091331 (resized).jpg
20190303_110233 (resized).jpg
20190302_175114 (resized).jpg
20190302_150127 (resized).jpg
20190302_175617 (resized).jpg
20190302_152600 (resized).jpg
20190301_110729 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Gatecrasher.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#260 7 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

Just for accuracy - these used to be made from Lexan - these new 0.5 mm ones are made from PET-G. I can sure vouch for the durability of the old Lexan protectors (had them on some of my machines for years - yes, nice shiny balls always). I'm thinking these PET-G products will have similar durability, but only time will tell. I only wish they made them for all of my older machines.

The website says the new protectors are made from PETG and are only 0.020" thick.

1 week later
#275 7 years ago

I can't believe they don't offer a Bally Kiss protector.

1 week later
#305 7 years ago

I just ordered one for my Bally Rolling Stones. I have an NOS fully-assembled playfield in the original Bally wooden crate. I was contemplating whether or not to strip the playfield bare and have the inserts releveled and clear-coated but didn't really want to. Now I can leave it in it's original state just lay one of these on it.

#308 7 years ago
Quoted from JIMAKOST:

Hello Pinsiders just wanted to jump in the conversation even a bit late and say my opinion about the Lexan playfield protectors......blah blah.. JUST AWESOME!!
80$ WOW

The protector I just bought is made from PETG. Did they used to be made from polycarbonate?

3 weeks later
#320 7 years ago
Quoted from SR230CC:

Just got done doing a playfield swap and LED's. Playfield protector is great!
Now I just need one for my Stern Galaxy when they make them.

I just got one for my Rolling Stones and notice that it requires that the lane wire guides be removed.

#323 7 years ago

Well here's my Bally Rolling Stones with the PET playfield protector installed. It's pretty-nice and perfect for this application.

The reason I was interested in these is because this Rolling Stones has an NOS assembled playfield that I've had for years. It came in the original factory wooden crate and I put it into my cabinet just a year or two ago. Amazingly it doesn't have any sunken inserts but there are a few nicks in the paint here and there but nothing major. I was contemplating whether I should strip the playfield down and have it touched-up and clear coated like I have done with other bare playfields but really didn't want to rip this awesome assembled one apart unless I had to.

The protector fits the bill and looks nice. Gameplay is good. The pictures don't do it justice with the glare from the flash.

Now I'm going to buy them for two additional machines I have that are similar to the Rolling Stones. Minty super-nice original playfields on unmolested HUO pins (Bally Kiss & Harlem Globetrotters).

IMG_9052 (resized).JPGIMG_9052 (resized).JPG

IMG_9057 (resized).JPGIMG_9057 (resized).JPG

#327 7 years ago
Quoted from nightsearcher:

I think it is a good solution for an old game with low inserts and you just want it to play faster and noth lose anymore paint. But I don't think shaving the edge of the protector for roll overs is the best answer. Have to level the rollovers. On a new clearcoated playfield, I won't use a protector. Just my thoughts

I think they would be great on brand-new clear coated playfields too.

It's pretty-awesome really. Like having Mylar on the playfield except you can easily remove it any time you want to without any damage to the surface. As far as I've seen the roll-overs are not an issue.

These would be nice for routed machines or those that get a lot of play.

They would also be nice for brand-new machines if the owner wishes to keep the playfield in pristine virgin condition regardless of how many plays.

I'll be curious to see how long these last before they start to get scratched-up and look bad? If they eventually do wear, you can always just pull it off and place a new one on.

#329 7 years ago
Quoted from nightsearcher:

I agree , on newer games without roll overs and with ramp flaps - they should be good. I bought protectors for my TAF, TOM , JM and WH2O. Can't wait til they are installed

If you take notice my Rolling Stones has dual roll-overs. They are a primary part of the game.

The roll-overs actuate perfectly with the PET protector in place. No noticeable difference at all.

You might have another issue if yours don't work. Try adjusting the switches.

#331 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

The issue isn't with the switches... the issue is the big saucer that the cutouts in the protector creates where the ball must travel. It creates hang-ups.. especially if its an area where the ball may move slowly.
I'm not sure with the rollovers in the U turns like they are on RS how they cut them. But its the edges in the field of play that are the concern... not switch activation

What machine is it hanging up on?

I can place the ball by hand on the roll-over and it doesn't get hung up on mine no matter how hard I try.

2 years later
#491 5 years ago

I have protectors on three machines now.
-Bally Harlem Globetrotters
-Bally Rolling Stones
-Bally Kiss

Each of these machines have either a near-mint unmolested playfield or an NOS assembled playfield. All of these playfields have either slightly raised or sunken inserts. Just lay the PET over the playfield and gameplay is dramatically improved.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Chelsea, MI
2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Branford, CT
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Gatecrasher.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lexan-playfield-protector-install-and-review?tu=Gatecrasher and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.