20190303_123449 (resized).jpg
20190303_091331 (resized).jpg
20190303_110233 (resized).jpg
20190302_175114 (resized).jpg
20190302_150127 (resized).jpg
20190302_175617 (resized).jpg
20190302_152600 (resized).jpg
20190301_110729 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Chalkey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#362 6 years ago

Are paper towels the best to use for the Naphtha clean up? Who's got a recommendation for a low cost respirator?

Got one on the way for TSPP if anyone has any game-specific advice.

#366 6 years ago

Did you try it at any point without wax?

1 month later
#370 6 years ago

What's the best way to clean the protectors? I used novus 1 /2 and a lint free rag and I wasn't satisfied with the results. Would waxing help?

5 months later
#380 5 years ago

Clean it really well and use naphtha to remove any wax before installation as it will potentially make the protector look cloudy.

#384 5 years ago

You need to be very thorough in removing the adhesive residue after installation. If you do a small test spit with novus 2 it goes from feeling tacky to being slick as eel snot.

#386 5 years ago

Although it is spendy, shipping from Germany is actually stupid fast if you order direct.

#392 5 years ago

It depends on whether or not the playfield is flat, and whether or not the protector needs to be trimmed. If it is wedged between two posts for instance it will stick up unless you trim it. If there are inserts proud of the playfield it will be slightly raised but will be much better for both play and wear having the protector in place.

#394 5 years ago

I haven't had that issue with any of mine but it would also be worse on games like firepower and gorgar that dont have ramp flaps holding it down, etc. I've installed around 10 of these and all have been perfectly flat (i always stage them on the glass on the game next to the one I'm working on).

3 months later
#454 5 years ago

Use naphtha before installing you should be fine. Over ten installs and no mold issues. The protector will smooth out raised or sunken inserts, but with raised I would try to press them flat before installation. Reference vids playfield thread. If they are severely raised they will possibly cause unnatural ball movement over the protector.

2 weeks later
#474 5 years ago

Any plastics that go outside the rubbers, pop caps, flippers, any gates or spinners. Ramp flaps will need to be at least loosened to go on top of the protector.

1 month later
#500 5 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

How often do you get "the sweaty look" under the playfield protector? Even though I have tried to clean the playfield as well as I can with naphta to get all of the wax away (if any), it still looks like there would be moisture under the protector. I think somebody called the phenomenon newton rings.

I have one game that had this and it was a NIB. I think this may happen because it is perfectly flat and the look is from static cling or something but I dont know. I took it off, cleaned, naptha'd, made sure everything was perfectly dry, and put it back. In about 15 minutes the look was back.

#503 5 years ago

All the ones I've installed have gone under ramp flaps and aprons to be held down in place. Where'd you get it?

#506 5 years ago

Strange... the photo of the protector on their page should be held down by the ramp flap by the look of it. I wonder if yours is cut different or if you have a really short ramp flap or what.

Even with the flippers and gates it's Flopping around a lot? I'd ask those guys or at least give them some feedback.

#508 5 years ago

Now I see what you're saying. You definitely have a spot that needs to be trimmed, you just need to figure out where. It is usually just a little sliver from a spot next to a post or something but it should definitely lay flat when the playfield is flat.

If loosening the ramp flap and adjusting the protectors position doesnt help try pressing your finger over the "bubble" or raised section and moving it around. You should be able to locate the culprit that way.

I just installed an Austin Powers protector. It needed about 1/16" trimmed from about 2" worth of the left orbit. Tricky to find but it sits flat after the small trim.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Tools
Pincoder Store

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Branford, CT
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Chalkey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lexan-playfield-protector-install-and-review?tu=Chalkey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.