Topic Stats

• 545 posts
  • 138 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by durgee7
  • Topic is favorited by 94 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 122 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20190511_210615 (resized).jpg
20190511_210608 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190428_210534808 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20190305-110117_Gallery (resized).jpg
IMG_9992 (resized).JPG
IMG_9993 (resized).JPG
IMG_9994 (resized).JPG
Screen Shot 2019-03-04 at 12.28.40 PM (resized).png
20190303_123449 (resized).jpg
20190303_091331 (resized).jpg
20190303_110233 (resized).jpg
20190302_175114 (resized).jpg
20190302_150127 (resized).jpg
20190302_175617 (resized).jpg
20190302_152600 (resized).jpg
20190301_110729 (resized).jpg

There are 545 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 11.
#301 3 years ago
Quoted from GPS:

By the way thanks to rotordave. Had I not read this post I would not have been aware of this product. Thank you.

No sweat. I found the product to be good and it fixed my insert issues, so I'm happy to tell others about it and hopefully they will find it useful too.

Quoted from GPS:

Damn, 124 machines. You must have a warehouse for them!! A frickin amazing
George

No George, just a custom built house.

rd

#302 3 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

No sweat. I found the product to be good and it fixed my insert issues, so I'm happy to tell others about it and hopefully they will find it useful too.

No George, just a custom built house.
rd

Must be one hell of a house. Thanks RD Grateful for the suggestion. Makes the playfield look good too. Now I dont have to worry about waxing.

George

#303 3 years ago

Fits like a glove.

IMG_3304 (resized).JPG

#304 3 years ago

Played a few games of JD. So far, so good. Need to adjust the pitch a bit, but plays great. I haven't done a switch test yet to see if it needs any adjustment.

#305 3 years ago

I just ordered one for my Bally Rolling Stones. I have an NOS fully-assembled playfield in the original Bally wooden crate. I was contemplating whether or not to strip the playfield bare and have the inserts releveled and clear-coated but didn't really want to. Now I can leave it in it's original state just lay one of these on it.

#306 3 years ago

Hello Pinsiders just wanted to jump in the conversation even a bit late and say my opinion about the Lexan playfield protectors,I have personally clear coated a Taxi playfield and not only clear coated it but remake it !! Yes remake all graphics and repainted with my airbrush.
It took me 13 months to complete my project so after sooooo much work just seeing a steel ball bouncing on your new graphics and clear coat it hurts after so much work,this was my first project and it was done back on 2010 AND I WISH I KNEW ABOUT IT.
This year I remade from scratch a TWILIGHT ZONE PINBALL!! Bought a brand new Bally licenced genuine TZ playfield from Marco specialties and when you pay for just a playfield and shipping 1350$ US Dollars you want it protected for years to come and if it gets scratched or dull just cut it away and install a new one.
This way I will always have a new playfield and always protected,Mylar is also good but too messy to clean up if you want it removed and must be precise when installing it,So Lexan protector just rock I'm buying one today and right now.
Thank you everybody for your opinions I really needed them.
One last thing just imagine with 80$ with shipping included your playfield looks always new even after lets say 2-5-10-20 years just replace the protector JUST AWESOME!!
80$ WOW

#307 3 years ago
Quoted from JIMAKOST:

One last thing just imagine with 80$ with shipping included your playfield looks always new even after lets say 2-5-10-20 years just replace the protector JUST AWESOME!!

If the company is still in business then.

#308 3 years ago
Quoted from JIMAKOST:

Hello Pinsiders just wanted to jump in the conversation even a bit late and say my opinion about the Lexan playfield protectors......blah blah.. JUST AWESOME!!
80$ WOW

The protector I just bought is made from PETG. Did they used to be made from polycarbonate?

#309 3 years ago

Yes even if the company is not in business then in 20 years your playfield will still be new and not only that you will have the perfect tracing to cut your own or even make a Mylar from this tracing, you win both ways

3 weeks later
#310 3 years ago

Really wish they would make one for all the old Gottliebs like my Countdown that have serious cupping issues.

#311 3 years ago

I got to encounter another game with the playfield protectors, this time a Flash Gordon at Magfest.

Needless to say, this game had more stuck balls over the course of the weekend than any other machine, and it wasn't even it close. The ball was getting stuck on rollovers and right above the flipper on the upper playfield.

Don't understand why this protector was on the game, the playfield was in very nice shape. Seems games with star rollovers are a very bad choice to use these protectors with - though I don't understand why you'd use them at all unless the playfield is a lost cause absolute mess.

The FLippers' Bally Star Trek was also at magfest in the free play bank. I played one game on it. A ball got stuck on a rollover (a regular one) necessitating a tilt. What else is new.

#312 3 years ago

Had my flash gordon in a tournament this weekend with the protector on it.

Can't say it was usable.

First, my attempts at fixing the hangups at the ramp entrances were not enough. I had to tweak it two more times before ramp hangups were minimized. But the cutouts around the star inserts were just too much. Too many hangups for the tournament. I ended up pulling the upper playfield protector entirely.

I just can't recomend this anymore on playfields with star rollovers or ramps without flaps.

#313 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I got to encounter another game with the playfield protectors, this time a Flash Gordon at Magfest.
Needless to say, this game had more stuck balls over the course of the weekend than any other machine, and it wasn't even it close. The ball was getting stuck on rollovers and right above the flipper on the upper playfield.
Don't understand why this protector was on the game, the playfield was in very nice shape. Seems games with star rollovers are a very bad choice to use these protectors with - though I don't understand why you'd use them at all unless the playfield is a lost cause absolute mess.
The FLippers' Bally Star Trek was also at magfest in the free play bank. I played one game on it. A ball got stuck on a rollover (a regular one) necessitating a tilt. What else is new.

That was my game Levi. It was on there as an experiment more than not. The game actually has repainted portions and its to protect that (and to generally just form an opinion on the product). I assume on Saturday the lower PF and ramps were no longer an issue? I took the upper piece off entirely when the star rollovers had no more chance. The ramp entrances I tweaked on Friday... and again a second time and I think I fixed it then (so the lower should have played fine on saturday).

For contrast, the Monster Bash had one on it as well... but didn't have the PF elements Flash Gordon did and I don't think it caused any hangups.

#314 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The ball was getting stuck on rollovers and right above the flipper on the upper playfield.

Seems games with star rollovers are a very bad choice to use these protectors with - though I don't understand why you'd use them at all unless the playfield is a lost cause absolute mess.

That's because whoever set it up did not set up right or just did not know what the fuck they were doing. I have a Stern Big Game with 5 rollovers and I have no problems. Not one. That 's because I raised the inserts .030" to match the thickness of the polycarbonate.

I have a Stern Seawitch with 2 rollovers that I also made a poly protector for. Again, I raised the inserts. I had a brief hangup problem with one rollover and a bit of work with a file in dressing the edge made it problem free.

Both of these pins play fast. I guarantee you would not bitch about how they play.

I have one more older Stern with a beautiful play field and very nice inserts. It is all original. On some inserts I am starting to get a bit of ball deflection at 3 or 4 inserts; I don't like that. So I am going to make a poly protector for it, as well. This is for two reasons: I want to keep my nicely waxed play field looking nice and I don't like ball deflections.

Shit man, ever since this post got started you come in with a negative attitude about play field protectors. It almost seems like you are coming from the planet of since-it-was-not-my-idea-then-it-is-not-any-good.

You oughta try lightening up a bit ---and look at the other side.

#315 3 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

That was my game Levi. It was on there as an experiment more than not. The game actually has repainted portions and its to protect that (and to generally just form an opinion on the product). I assume on Saturday the lower PF and ramps were no longer an issue? I took the upper piece off entirely when the star rollovers had no more chance. The ramp entrances I tweaked on Friday... and again a second time and I think I fixed it then (so the lower should have played fine on saturday).
For contrast, the Monster Bash had one on it as well... but didn't have the PF elements Flash Gordon did and I don't think it caused any hangups.

I'll be honest with you, I didn't notice the Bash had one on.

Like I said I don't think these protectors work well with rollover games (classics) at all, especially star rollovers. I did play the FG during the finals on Sat. and it played MUCH better - again I didn't notice the protector was removed but it played well, and I got my two best scores on it.

#316 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

That's because whoever set it up did not set up right or just did not know what the fuck they were doing. I have a Stern Big Game with 5 rollovers and I have no problems. Not one. That 's because I raised the inserts .030" to match the thickness of the polycarbonate.

Well pardon me.. but popping out my securely glued inserts just to fit a temporary protector is not an option I consider viable... nothing to do with 'knowing what the fuck I am doing'. My inserts are well locked in because they were replaced when I rescued the game. They aren't on a fucking sliding lift.

Quoted from cottonm4:

I have a Stern Seawitch with 2 rollovers that I also made a poly protector for. Again, I raised the inserts. I had a brief hangup problem with one rollover and a bit of work with a file in dressing the edge made it problem free.

If you made it yourself, the dimensions would be under your control. Do you have any idea what the actual trim is in these protectors around the inserts?

#317 3 years ago

For instance, on FG the left ramp was experiencing lots of hangups.

Even after initially shimming the ramp, and spanning the edge with mylar.. hangups were happening. First tweak was shimming the ramp even higher.. which worked great for hangups on the left. But somehow the ball was getting hung up on the right side against the spinner. There the problem was the ball could get into a triangle between the spinner, the edge of the protector near the hole in the playfield for the spinner (away from the ramp), and the ramp edge. I trimmed the protector's edge to try to move the edge further away, but could still get hungup. Solution was backing the ramp's screw out a tad bit more to lift the ramp's edge just a fraction higher.

On the upper PF.. I just took the protector off all together. It was pretty marred up. Stuff I'm sure some plastic cleaner may clean up.. but it was pretty gnarly. I'll take some photos when I get around to setting the games back up. This would have been after probably 500-600 plays.

#318 3 years ago

I installed one of these on my Sorcerer. I like the way the game looks with it on. I have a few slightly raised inserts and added a decal set because some inserts were missing the art. Thought this would be a cheap way to cover them up without doing the whole clear coat thing. Hopefully cpr will get this playfield out. Anyways.....I had to do a lot of work to get it to fit. It was like the whole protector was shifted to the left. I had to file down the bottom right edge by the apron and around the stand up targets to get things to line up. And yesterday I had a pop skirt get hung up uder the edge of the protector and thankfully it only popped the fuse. I had to add a bit of mylar to keep it from happening again. But like I said. ...I do like the way it looks so maybe just maybe I'll get one for my Xenon when I start on it.

#319 3 years ago

Forgive me if this has been asked, but what happens when dirt gets under these protectors?

#320 3 years ago
Quoted from SR230CC:

Just got done doing a playfield swap and LED's. Playfield protector is great!
Now I just need one for my Stern Galaxy when they make them.

I just got one for my Rolling Stones and notice that it requires that the lane wire guides be removed.

#321 3 years ago

Didn't I read the star rollover cutouts were changed to stop the hang ups? Maybe the ones where the hang ups happen is a gen 1.

#322 3 years ago

I have one on my Adams. The ball does get hung up at times, but by the vault. Not too often, but enough that I would never leave it on for tournament play. In my own house, I could care less. Often now I forget that it is even on. So it's a great thing to have for certain games under certain playing conditions.

#323 3 years ago

Well here's my Bally Rolling Stones with the PET playfield protector installed. It's pretty-nice and perfect for this application.

The reason I was interested in these is because this Rolling Stones has an NOS assembled playfield that I've had for years. It came in the original factory wooden crate and I put it into my cabinet just a year or two ago. Amazingly it doesn't have any sunken inserts but there are a few nicks in the paint here and there but nothing major. I was contemplating whether I should strip the playfield down and have it touched-up and clear coated like I have done with other bare playfields but really didn't want to rip this awesome assembled one apart unless I had to.

The protector fits the bill and looks nice. Gameplay is good. The pictures don't do it justice with the glare from the flash.

Now I'm going to buy them for two additional machines I have that are similar to the Rolling Stones. Minty super-nice original playfields on unmolested HUO pins (Bally Kiss & Harlem Globetrotters).

IMG_9052 (resized).JPG

IMG_9057 (resized).JPG

#324 3 years ago

I'm ordering one for my flash that has 6 or 7 slightly cupped inserts .. I've been told game speed is noticed .. much faster expecially on that era ..

#325 3 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

Didn't I read the star rollover cutouts were changed to stop the hang ups? Maybe the ones where the hang ups happen is a gen 1.

No, the game Levi and I were talking about had the protector installed just a few months ago. It's the newer material / thickness

#326 3 years ago

I think it is a good solution for an old game with low inserts and you just want it to play faster and noth lose anymore paint. But I don't think shaving the edge of the protector for roll overs is the best answer. Have to level the rollovers. On a new clearcoated playfield, I won't use a protector. Just my thoughts

#327 3 years ago
Quoted from nightsearcher:

I think it is a good solution for an old game with low inserts and you just want it to play faster and noth lose anymore paint. But I don't think shaving the edge of the protector for roll overs is the best answer. Have to level the rollovers. On a new clearcoated playfield, I won't use a protector. Just my thoughts

I think they would be great on brand-new clear coated playfields too.

It's pretty-awesome really. Like having Mylar on the playfield except you can easily remove it any time you want to without any damage to the surface. As far as I've seen the roll-overs are not an issue.

These would be nice for routed machines or those that get a lot of play.

They would also be nice for brand-new machines if the owner wishes to keep the playfield in pristine virgin condition regardless of how many plays.

I'll be curious to see how long these last before they start to get scratched-up and look bad? If they eventually do wear, you can always just pull it off and place a new one on.

#328 3 years ago

I agree , on newer games without roll overs and with ramp flaps - they should be good. I bought protectors for my TAF, TOM , JM and WH2O. Can't wait til they are installed

#329 3 years ago
Quoted from nightsearcher:

I agree , on newer games without roll overs and with ramp flaps - they should be good. I bought protectors for my TAF, TOM , JM and WH2O. Can't wait til they are installed

If you take notice my Rolling Stones has dual roll-overs. They are a primary part of the game.

The roll-overs actuate perfectly with the PET protector in place. No noticeable difference at all.

You might have another issue if yours don't work. Try adjusting the switches.

#330 3 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

If you take notice my Rolling Stones has dual roll-overs. They are a primary part of the game.
The roll-overs actuate perfectly with the PET protector in place. No noticeable difference at all.
You might have another issue if yours don't work. Try adjusting the switches.

The issue isn't with the switches... the issue is the big saucer that the cutouts in the protector creates where the ball must travel. It creates hang-ups.. especially if its an area where the ball may move slowly.

I'm not sure with the rollovers in the U turns like they are on RS how they cut them. But its the edges in the field of play that are the concern... not switch activation

#331 3 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

The issue isn't with the switches... the issue is the big saucer that the cutouts in the protector creates where the ball must travel. It creates hang-ups.. especially if its an area where the ball may move slowly.
I'm not sure with the rollovers in the U turns like they are on RS how they cut them. But its the edges in the field of play that are the concern... not switch activation

What machine is it hanging up on?

I can place the ball by hand on the roll-over and it doesn't get hung up on mine no matter how hard I try.

#332 3 years ago

I bought a PET-G playfield protector out of Germany for Breakshot..and absolutely love it! The surface is just brilliant. I recently stripped the playfield to clean and wax ,and removed the existing mylar pieces- this product seemed to be the best thing to take the mylar's place. It is so smooth- that there is very little sound - almost as if the ball were floating on air.

I also bought a set for my TSPP and my future GB premium.

I am still hopeful to hear back from the company as to the care and maintenance of this product, two emails requests so far, and no response. Does anyone have any advice on this? Thanks

IMG_0994 (resized).JPG
IMG_9175 (resized).JPG
IMG_7567 (resized).JPG
IMG_8732 (resized).JPG
IMG_5249 (resized).JPG

#333 2 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

What machine is it hanging up on?
I can place the ball by hand on the roll-over and it doesn't get hung up on mine no matter how hard I try.

upper playfield of Flash Gordon for instance.

1 week later
#334 2 years ago

I installed the protector today on my Pharaoh. The protector does not line up all the way on the top playfield.
Is the solution to cut it with a sharp knife?

image (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpeg

#335 2 years ago
Quoted from Axl:

I installed the protector today on my Pharaoh. The protector does not line up all the way on the top playfield.
Is the solution to cut it with a sharp knife?

I used a few different files on mine for my Sorcerer. I was afraid that if I used a knife it would slip and scratch more of the surface. I left the protection film on both sides and filed away. If you're careful you can file through the film at slight angles. If that makes sense?

#336 2 years ago

What about using an X-Acto knife and a ruler?

#337 2 years ago

I used scissors without any issue. It cuts pretty easy.

3 months later
#338 2 years ago

How do these work with pop up parts? I just purchased a Cirqus Voltaire and I am interested in the protectors, I just don't quite understand the pop up components…can you just level those with the new play surface?

3 months later
#339 2 years ago

Do you wax these or is that not necessary?

#340 2 years ago

I have one on an Addams Family that I wax with Mother liquid wax. So far it still looks great, but don't have a ton of plays on it yet

#341 2 years ago
Quoted from Jerickso77:

Do you wax these or is that not necessary?

I wax mine. It for sure speeds things up.

#342 2 years ago

FWIW I have one of these installed on my Tron. I never notice it playing any different than it should and everything looks fantastic with it installed. Can you tell it's there by looking for it? Yes, but after a while you really just forget it's there. I'll report back if anything changes or starts to wear oddly. Haven't had a single problem with ball hang ups.

#343 2 years ago

I got my TSPP a year and a half ago with 50 plays on it. I installed a playfield protector before bringing it in to my freeplay arcade. It did its job and looks amazing after cutting it out. Only issue was how dirty it got even after cleaning once a week. Seems like the dirt gets etched in and won't come off with novus or even a Mr. Clean. There was dirt underneath close to the edges and didn't damage the playfield. Taking this game home to shop out and put in another protector. Sorry forgot to take a pic of the dirty protector.

IMG_1189 (resized).JPG

IMG_1190 (resized).JPG

IMG_1191 (resized).JPG

#344 2 years ago
Quoted from Level3623:

I Only issue was how dirty it got even after cleaning once a week. Seems like the dirt gets etched in and won't come off with novus or even a Mr. Clean.

Well, look at it this way: Look at all the dirt it kept from getting on your play field.

#345 2 years ago
Quoted from Level3623:

I got my TSPP a year and a half ago with 50 plays on it. I installed a playfield protector before bringing it in to my freeplay arcade. It did its job and looks amazing after cutting it out. Only issue was how dirty it got even after cleaning once a week. Seems like the dirt gets etched in and won't come off with novus or even a Mr. Clean. There was dirt underneath close to the edges and didn't damage the playfield. Taking this game home to shop out and put in another protector. Sorry forgot to take a pic of the dirty protector.

How often did you change your balls? It would take me 30 years to put 33,000 plays on one of my games.

#346 2 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

How often did you change your balls? It would take me 30 years to put 33,000 plays on one of my games.

Every few months, but does it really matter with a protector? TSPP is pretty much played non stop 8 hours a day. Going to put in another protector soon.

#347 2 years ago
Quoted from Level3623:

Every few months, but does it really matter with a protector? TSPP is pretty much played non stop 8 hours a day. Going to put in another protector soon.

Now THAT is the kind of stress-test I want to hear product reviews from. Thanks!

1 month later
#348 2 years ago

What is the best thing to use to trim these protectors? I bought one from BAA and I need to trim a bit around some of the drop targets on a paragon. I don't need to remove much but I don't want to ruin the protector.

#349 2 years ago
Quoted from Ballance:

What is the best thing to use to trim these protectors? I bought one from BAA and I need to trim a bit around some of the drop targets on a paragon. I don't need to remove much but I don't want to ruin the protector.

It works best if the protective film is still on the protector.

If it is an outside edge or curve you are working on, you can use a file or even a pair of sissors.

If it is an inside curve or area you are working you can use the file or if you take your time and are careful you can use a Dremel Tool with some rotary tools.

If the protector film is still on after you have made your trim then slide some sand paper along the edge to clean up where you trimmed to remove any burrs or the fluffy stuff a Dremel leaves behind.

#350 2 years ago
Quoted from Ballance:

I originally used a file to take some off the edge, but someone else used scissors. My next one I needed to trim I used scissors too. I was over thinking it with the file. Plus its messy. So....scissors.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Texas City, TX
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
$ 14.50
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Victoria, BC
$ 11.00
There are 545 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 11.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside