Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by paynemic
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

BubbleLevel (resized).jpg
    #1 7 years ago

Ok guys, maybe I'm overthinking this. But when I'm leveling a playfield (I have the pin guy app on my phone or a real level), isn't it VERY dependent on my putting the phone or level in exactly the right place on the playfield at just the right vertical? What's the best way? Are the hubs of the flippers always a safe horizontal line?

#2 7 years ago

They should always be exactly opposite each other. I try to find obviously horizontal lines in the art, or on square inserts, if possible.

#3 7 years ago

I use this type of bubble level to get it good side to side, and jack the rear leg levelers all the way up and the fronts all the way down...

BubbleLevel (resized).jpgBubbleLevel (resized).jpg

#4 7 years ago

99% of the time I have a straight edge (square rod of acrylic) from top slingshot post to top slingshot post. then butt a torpedo level against that.

For newer games I level the back of the field with the top of the lower cabinet since either there's no flat spot to get a level to or there's just so much stuff up there.

Older games with a few top lanes on them I can use the rod again same as on the slingshots.

#5 7 years ago

Ok. Thanks all. So it's not as straightforward as it seems at first pass... Thanks for the advice. I was thinking I'd put a straight edge across the flipper hubs but top of slingshot seems easier. Is that always a horizontal?

#6 7 years ago

Just play the game. If you notice that the playfield has a lateral slope, adjust for it. If not, it's fine. Keep in mind that often the leg levellers need a few games to settle after being adjusted anyway so the bubble being in the centre when you put the glass back on is no guarantee that the playfield will stay level.

#7 7 years ago
    Quoted from paynemic:

Ok. Thanks all. So it's not as straightforward as it seems at first pass... Thanks for the advice. I was thinking I'd put a straight edge across the flipper hubs but top of slingshot seems easier. Is that always a horizontal?

There's a few games that have asymmetrical slingshots but not a great many. On those I find a straight horizontal line across the field in the artwork and align the torpedo level with it and do my best to keep it straight and adjust to that. No line? See if there are two "twin" inserts on the field you can align with the top or bottom edge of the inserts.

Level is VITAL.

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from Circus_Animal:

Just play the game. If you notice that the playfield has a lateral slope, adjust for it. If not, it's fine. Keep in mind that often the leg levellers need a few games to settle after being adjusted anyway so the bubble being in the centre when you put the glass back on is no guarantee that the playfield will stay level.

*this* - really no substiture for play testing. I'll use a level to get it in the ballpark, but then dropping a ball from the center of the playfield repeatedly, watching for SDTM (straight down the middle) accuracy between the flippers. Play a few games and see how the shots feel. Games like Taxi and Pinbot with vortex skill shots can be affected by the leveling as well. I find that dialing it in for a good feel of play sometimes means ignoring what your level tool tells you.

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

*this* - really no substiture for play testing. I'll use a level to get it in the ballpark, but then dropping a ball from the center of the playfield repeatedly, watching for SDTM (straight down the middle) accuracy between the flippers. Play a few games and see how the shots feel. Games like Taxi and Pinbot with vortex skill shots can be affected by the leveling as well. I find that dialing it in for a good feel of play sometimes means ignoring what your level tool tells you.

Strange, I don't get this at all. Level is level. You think you can release a ball by hand and level the game based on that rather than an actual level? If that's what makes you satisfied with the gameplay, that's fine by me. Not arguing the point, I just don't understand why you don't use the right tool for the job?

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from cody_chunn:

Strange, I don't get this at all. Level is level. You think you can release a ball by hand and level the game based on that rather than an actual level? If that's what makes you satisfied with the gameplay, that's fine by me. Not arguing the point, I just don't understand why you don't use the right tool for the job?

Well, I do use the right tools at first. It's just that when I start playing, I'll often end up tweaking in the level for one reason or another. I know a lot of folks will just live by what the tool says and leave it at that. Sometimes it just feels like a game is not quite right when the ball rattles around at the in/outlane area, maybe it feels like it tends to be draining a lot to the on one side. I might revisit the leg levelers a few times before I am satisfied in the feel, the randomness of bouncing, the shot capability, the speed, etc...

I'm not the only one...

"Using a level gets it close to true, a ball test finishes the job.
    I've always trained my staff to test the playfield by rolling a ball
    down the center several times. If it rolls true then the playfield is
    level."

"The ball is the true indicator of a true playfield"

"I always level by feel alone...play, adjust, play, play, adjust, play"

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from cody_chunn:

Strange, I don't get this at all. Level is level. You think you can release a ball by hand and level the game based on that rather than an actual level?

Absolutely. I've had to tweak "level" a little bit as many times in my life as I've played a game that was "technically level" and the ball drifts.

#13 7 years ago

OK...that's understandable. I guess I never met a game that seemed out of true after leveling it with a torpedo.

It's all good. I'm sure I would enjoy a pin that you guys set up for play.

#14 7 years ago

Thanks for the discussion guys. This is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I'll be leveling to true, and tweaking for play. For instance, my Funhouse, when level to the numbers sends a right gangway orbit sdtm unless you hit with the upper left flipper. I can't imagine that's ideal.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/leveling-a-playfield-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.