(Topic ID: 220791)

Letting go of your pinball is how we will grow pinball.

By Jared

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 40 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by RTR
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

screen-shot-2016-10-11-at-2-25-12-pm (resized).jpg
    36883438_10156533185939516_1496377643992350720_n (resized).jpg

#1 5 years ago

Hey Pinside.

Recently, as I have done more than 20 times now, I sold a game. No big deal right? This time, it was my absolutely stunning Last Action Hero. My example was so nice, and so well maintained, that it "changed peoples mind" about the game. People who had written off the game as trash learned to love it playing mine, often seeking out one to own themselves as a result.

The difference in this sale, is that the buyer was purchasing his first ever machine.

I learned through conversation that he had been quietly researching for many years, playing games on Pinball Arcade, watching youtube videos, reading pinside and lurking on ebay. He had set up notification alerts on Craigslist for PINBALL and his phone went off when my listing came up.

As is my practice, I listed my game at a fair market value, not too cheap and not crazy. This guy called me within 2 hours of it being listed.

When he came over to look at the game, we ended up talking for more than an hour, he shared his stories of arcades in the 80's, his profession, and his long time dream of owning a pinball. This was finally his big moment where it was about to happen. He is 52 years old.

Thats when it really hit me.

These next few moments... these next few days... he will never forget what is about to happen. Ever. Its the spark. This is the moment that someone really enters into this hobby... all of us did it once... and all of us remember our first game.

For me, Last Action Hero was my 2nd game. I have kept it for nearly 6 years because of how nice it was, but I had to make some room so out it went.

I realized that he didn't have tools, he didn't know how to take off legs, how to level a game, or even how to open a coin door. Here I was, Obi Wan looking at Luke on the Millennium Falcon. I had to teach him. It was my duty.

So I did what no seller ever did for me. I broke down the game, as he watched, explaining everything I was doing and how and why. I helped him load the game. Then I followed him across town to his house. I unloaded the game. I set up the game. I explained how the game worked and what to do. I showed him the smart missile. I explained modes. A few more hours passed.

You have never seen a 52 year old man so excited.

As I walked out the door and looked at my old game one last time, I was not sad. I felt like Andy at the end of Toy Story 3. It was time for a new owner to have his experience. Letting go, is how it grows.

36883438_10156533185939516_1496377643992350720_n (resized).jpg36883438_10156533185939516_1496377643992350720_n (resized).jpg

#3 5 years ago

Nice story, but I'm not going to help the hobby by selling any of mine.

#4 5 years ago

I had a feel-good pinball experience this weekend as well.

I was with my kids at a birthday party at a bowling alley and found a single machine (a Guns N Roses machine) away in the corner next to some arcade games. A boy about 10 years old kept coming to watch me play, so when I won a free game I asked him if he wanted to play it. He didn't know how to start the game, where the ball popped out, how to shoot the ball... not a thing. So I taught him the basics and he got it, he was into it. He was amazed by everything that happened, it was great.

So I made some kid a pinball fan that day.

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from littlecammi:

I'm not going to help the hobby by selling any of mine.

And I'm certainly not going to help any cheap bastards any more than I have to.

#6 5 years ago

Nicely done. Selling and explaining the process of pinball machines to a first time pinball buyer is the best experience for me as a hobbyist. I feel like if I can get them started off on the right foot, the chance of them growing the hobby is even better.

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from littlecammi:

Nice story, but I'm not going to help the hobby by selling any of mine.

Heh, buying and selling is a part of it. This post was less about the transaction and more about the first time buyers extra assistance with setup and delivery.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

... it was my absolutely stunning Last Action Hero. My example was so nice, and so well maintained, that it "changed peoples mind" about the game. People who had written off the game as trash learned to love it playing mine, often seeking out one to own themselves as a result.

Cociane is a hell of a drug.

#9 5 years ago

Awesome job, thanks for growing the hobby!

#10 5 years ago

Good on you Jared! It's amazing how dismissive some sellers can be to buyers. I'm glad you gave this first time buyer a lesson in pinball he will never forget and will probably be in the hobby for a long time. I'm sure he will enjoy LAH as much as you did! Had you been a jerk and told him he was on his own, he might have shunned you and the hobby all together. It should be a hobby where we can all help each other, either buying/selling, or tech tips on something like how to change a coil.

#11 5 years ago

Awesome of you to take the time. Owner will most likely enjoy the game more because you took the time to show him things!

#12 5 years ago

I hope you told him that pinball machines are like rabbits....
    Before you know it your gameroom is full with them.

Nice story!

#13 5 years ago

I just did this as well, with my jurassic park. Friend wanted into the hobby so we went to the nines.

His wife is now addicted as well. I'll find another jp, but the match is now lit for him.

#14 5 years ago

I did the same a couple of times. Was a great moment but boy I wish they lost my number after that moment. Becoming their phone tech support for 6 months kind of sucked

#15 5 years ago

Still have your GB Jared,,,,, I think a while back you told me that was your first NIB pinball machine.

#16 5 years ago

Jared's a man that gets things done!

screen-shot-2016-10-11-at-2-25-12-pm (resized).jpgscreen-shot-2016-10-11-at-2-25-12-pm (resized).jpg
    #17 5 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

Nicely done. Selling and explaining the process of pinball machines to a first time pinball buyer is the best experience for me as a hobbyist. I feel like if I can get them started off on the right foot, the chance of them growing the hobby is even better.

Ha ha I was thinking of you when read this. Keep on selling those machines to newbies like me.

#18 5 years ago

EPIC sale!

#19 5 years ago

Nice Jared!

I like to see you posting again, I know working for Stern has limited your posting-but I enjoy your posting and yes this sale is most epic!

I have to admit, I have a really hard time selling games and often change my mind and decide to keep them. They are my babies.

#21 5 years ago

Threads like this are the real Pinside!

#22 5 years ago

Top post of year so far

#23 5 years ago

Sold two of my three Skylab and Aladdin's Castle I still have 4 Roses . The buyers were happy and I was too as I didn't sell them for more than they were worth.

#24 5 years ago

dmacy did that for me when I bought my first game from him. I was completely clueless. He put it in his truck and delivered it 70+ miles to my house, helped me get it down the stairs, set it up and made sure it was working 100%.

I bought a game that day and made a friend.

Really cool that you did it for someone else. You're right, it's something they will never forget.

#25 5 years ago

I've got a Last Action Hero for sale for $2900 if anybody wants to help me grow pinball.

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I've got a Last Action Hero for sale for $2900 if anybody wants to help me grow pinball.

Well played!!

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Hmmm.... I might be interested but I need to know how long it's been home used.

#28 5 years ago

I'd have to agree with Jareds post. Sold a LOTR to a new pinball owner and a LW3 within the last year. Both not price gouging and both made the new buyer very happy. The new LW3 owner was a very nice guy, we ended up chatting a bunch and he's now super into the hobby(buying another).

I sold the games because it suited me though, not to grow the hobby haha. That was just a nice side effect to see new folks get excited.

#29 5 years ago

I totally agree to some extent. The rule at my house is If I don't absolutely love the machine it doesn't stay.
    I've sold Twilight Zone, STNG, BSD Dracula, EATPM and Circus Voltaire to other collectors in the past. Simply
    because they had more passion for the game then me. If it sits in my house then I absolutely love that game.

However I alway's have a fear if I sell a game and it becomes Orphaned thats not good. Some orphaned games
    end up MIA and ate away by the elements.

So if you want a quality game. I am willing to sell anyone Aerosmith and NBA Fastbreak in prisitine condition.

#30 5 years ago

Thanks so much for the kind responses. Love positivity!

#31 5 years ago

Dante did the same for me when I bought his Ripleys . Walked me through how to move it safely, had tools needed to take off legs, gave me tons of info on where to get parts and pointed me to pinside. I've had a great time in the hobby and my first pin bought from someone willing to share experience got things off to a great start.

#32 5 years ago

I'm no mover and shaker by any means with a collection of five long term machines in the house and having only sold one. But the one I sold was to a first time buyer.
    I got a good deal on the machine, put a little bit into it and played it for a few months. Turned out my son and his buddies didn't care for it so I sold it.
    Couldn't have been happier to sell it to a first-timer. Took some time to go over the basics, helped him break it down and get it loaded and offered to follow him home and help set it up. He said no, his wife and kids could help. That he would be ok.
    I thought "Sweet! This machine is going to a home with KIDS! He was excited and I was happy for him.
    Before he left, I showed him my modest game room with three pins and an upright arcade and his response was
    "You got it bad".
    Well some time has passed since that sale and you know what? He now has a seven machine collection!
    And yes it includes that first machine he ever bought.
    Nice to know I helped in a small way to help our hobby grow!

#33 5 years ago

I have a similar story.. Local guy wanted to get his first pinball. I think he contacted me initially through PM to see if I would sell one of mine. I said no, but I would give him tips on what to look for if he was buying something else. He ended up finding an F14 in my area, so I told him I would go with him. I met him there, and I looked it over made sure it played ok. Between me and the seller we broke it down (had to take the head off, which means pulling EVERY connector) because the basement stairs were SUPER narrow, loaded it into his minivan. I followed him an hour away to his house to help him carry it in and set it up (crossing my fingers all the IDC connectors were keyed properly), even printed some nice looking instructions cards and put on some silicone flipper bands. Basically spent 3 hours of my Saturday just because. Now this is a person I NEVER met before (haven't seen him since but he's still on pinside), but I just feel like being the johnny appleseed for new hobbyists is important to keep it going.

I do feel like too many people are hoarding project games, I recently purged 3 games this year because I didn't want to be one of those people.

#34 5 years ago

My younger brother and I used to love going to play pinball back in the day. Fast forward to today.... I have way too many machines and he has 5 kids. Guess we are both good at something. I bought a cheap beater Bally Sea Ray and totally reconditioned the game. I gave him the game to put in his basement for the kids. They ALL love it. Many family competitions and holiday memories. His 9 year old is always talking smack, daring me to come challenge him.
    I will be adding another to their lineup soon. Better than them getting dusty in the garage. His kids are hooked on pinball and will never forget. Spread the love.

#35 5 years ago
    Quoted from Ballypalooza:

I gave my younger brother a Bally Sea Ray I reconditioned to put in his basement for his five kids.
    I will be adding another to their lineup soon.

I don't know...do you think you have enough games to spare a second pin?

3 weeks later
    #36 5 years ago

Many times.
    It helps a person avoid becoming a "hoarder" especially of multiples of an identical title.

Donating one game to a new technician for free, and selling another EM as a project but complete for under $400.
    Both games should be in their new homes this week.

Those that don't "get it" have not yet moved past the first few stages of ownership.
    What I don't do is give games to people to flip for profit. No benefit to the hobby.
    Learn to spot them, as they are a cancer.

#37 5 years ago

Very cool. I bought my first machine last year, but sadly my experience was the exact opposite. No help/explenation whatsoever and the game broke down after a week. It forced me to learn pinball maintenance very quickly though, so it's not all bad. I now have a Rocky and Bullwinkle that looks pretty beaten up, but plays smooth as silk! So I'm proud of my first pinball, and won't ever sell it if I can help it

#38 5 years ago

Look at my past history, I can think of 15 or 20 that were sold to first time pin buyers. Heck, the hobby is stronger in new england because of me alone!

#39 5 years ago

Sounds like his spark started in the 80s arcades. Location pinball is how we grow the hobby, it's where people develop the longtime dream of owning a machine.

#40 5 years ago

Great story Jared, thanks for posting!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/letting-go-of-your-pinball-is-how-we-will-grow-pinball-?hl=bork and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.