Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 117 posts
  • 67 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Compy
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Unknown-7 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20230528_124507_Chrome (resized).jpg
    giphy.gif
    680F072B-CEEA-4D6D-A71A-0FDF2133B8A6 (resized).jpeg
    There are 117 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 1 year ago

Right away I thought of friends that i would happily loan a pin to and those I wouldn’t.

When it’s something expensive like a pin, my “loaner” criteria is pretty simple. Would they treat it the way I want it to be treated (whatever that is for you) and are they financially capable to “do the right thing” if something happens while they are in possession of it. Doesn’t matter to me if they are borrowing it for a one-day event or for a year.

That said I think a pin is pretty low risk. If they satisfy the criteria above and are teetering on joining the hobby it’s a no-brainer.

#102 1 year ago
    Quoted from Strummy:

I'm curious about what your decision is op. Lots of advice and senerios that you requested here.

He’s too embarrassed to post about it, but the game immediately ignited into a hellish fireball (before even being turned on!!), reducing an entire suburban block to nothing but smoke, ash, and memories; he’s now in court trying to fend off yet another lawsuit.

Don’t do it people!! The risk is beyond tolerance!!

#103 1 year ago
    Screenshot_20230528_124507_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20230528_124507_Chrome (resized).jpg
    #105 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Why?!
    I just can't grasp what you guys keeping talking about with this stuff.
    These are pinball machines. THEY BREAK ALL THE FUCKIN' TIME. We all know this.
    Why would a "broken game" be an issue for any of you?
    You lend a game to someone. it breaks. You fix it. At your own leisure. Or you don't fix it, and you just leave it at their house until they ask you to come get it.
    Wouldn't you fix it if it broke at your house? Would you get mad at yourself because it broke? Would you charge yourself money to fix it? What's the difference? How could this possibly ruin a friendship?

Meant to say ive done calls for customers of mine that loaned games to people who were upset that they were broke later on . They didnt understand the nature of pinball.
    I myself have a few games loaned out and could care less if they break. Means they getting used!

#106 1 year ago

I've said this before on some other thread

If you have so many games you have to park them at friends houses or storage units...

Sell games, stop being dumb.

#107 1 year ago
    Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

I've said this before on some other thread
    If you have so many games you have to park them at friends houses or storage units...
    Sell games, stop being dumb.

would you feel the same though, if it was a local longtime pinside buddy that you know is capable of fixing various issues in the game as needed?

#108 1 year ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

would you feel the same though, if it was a local longtime pinside buddy that you know is capable of fixing various issues in the game as needed?

Yes, all bases covered.

#109 1 year ago

Yes, all bases covered.

well then im never moving to Fort Myers

#110 1 year ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

well then im never moving to Fort Myers

I consider it for you honey

#111 1 year ago

I consider it for you honey

Unknown-7 (resized).jpegUnknown-7 (resized).jpeg

#112 1 year ago

Strummy this post played out exactly as I hoped/expected. Tons of great perspectives shared.

To sum up answers to some of the questions/observations:

-potential “borrower” is a good friend who I golf with once or twice a week. Heading to the British Open together in July for 10 day trip. And wives are thick as thieves. So: much more than acquaintance; have know them for a decade+ and they live < 5 mins from us
    -no young kids. Though a few teenage girls (like my own house). Crayon factor close to zero.
    -he’s not a pinhead but is ex-military and mechanical enough. Most importantly he wants to learn. He taught me firearm safety when I bought my first handgun; 99.99% confident he’ll respect my “high voltage” warnings and only attempt to self-solve problems within his skill level. And pass along said warnings to his family
    -shared with him some of the sentiment from this thread. Agreed that simple piece of paper acknowledging ownership/loan “agreement” is smart thing. Otherwise not making it complicated
    -think I’m going to loan him my MMr. Have had literally zero maintenance issues with it. Figure it’s a great game, CGC reliable as hell, and one I could easily replace if nightmare scenario played out (fire, theft, sudden death and custody battle, etc).
    -we have a drink after golf at each other’s houses all the time. Will be the “maintenance window” if (when) something goes wrong.

Thanks everyone for the great advice. Will try to remember to post an update in six months or so and report how everything plays out

#113 1 year ago

Probably my biggest concern - and it's not much of one - would be similar to what I see with automotive machine shops and auto paint/body shops. Guy drops off his car, it sits and sits and then one day the shop goes out of business and his car is caught up court proceedings and he has to fight to get it back. If you lent a game to a friend, he wouldn't go out of business but he could get divorced or die and it's off to court...so make sure your friend is happily married and has low cholesterol first!

#114 1 year ago
    Quoted from GregCon:

Probably my biggest concern - and it's not much of one - would be similar to what I see with automotive machine shops and auto paint/body shops. Guy drops off his car, it sits and sits and then one day the shop goes out of business and his car is caught up court proceedings and he has to fight to get it back. If you lent a game to a friend, he wouldn't go out of business but he could get divorced or die and it's off to court...so make sure your friend is happily married and has low cholesterol first!

IMHO that's the point of the simple "contract" for lack of a better term. You know your buddy is good for it. But if a divorce or heart attack happens you can claim it back as it's yours.

IANAL but if I remember correctly a legal contract must have "consideration" to be valid. So maybe have him "lease" it for $1 (that he never seems to pay you and you always forget to collect )

#115 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

I'm in Michigan, loaned my buddy in Wisconsin my Grand Prix at least 3 years ago and havent seen it since lol.

Quoted from Tommy-dog:

Your lucky just to loose one pin. I lost 8 Bally William A-titles.

I didnt mean he STOLE it, I just meant I havent seen it in 3 years....lol....we see each other a couple times a year at the Chicago and Milwaukee shows but I haven't made it to his place to get the game back.

Sorry for YOUR loss....damn...........

#116 1 year ago

I don't think many of you would even let a friend borrow your wheelbarrow...

We've been trading pins for years. Just establish ownership and the arrangement if you are concerned from a legal perspective. All the what-ifs about fire, theft, etc... you have all the same concerns at home too.. or your storage locker.. or whatever. I'm certain 99% of us do not have 100% coverage on all our shit no matter where it's at. I'd feel better about dealing with my friend then I would an insurance company!

Just establish boundaries on what you'd like the person to do.. like 'clean, replace rubbers, broken wires, etc.. yes. Troubleshoot or try to repair boardwork.. no'

If the person is the type that won't even buy your drinks w/o asking.. then don't bother.

#117 1 year ago

Yeah, pretty simple.

1. Most of my "friends" that would even want to borrow one of my pins are ones I've had for decades.
    2. What if said friend dies? I know their spouses/family, they know the game is mine. I wouldn't lose any sleep.
    3. When I get the game back, I fully expect to shop it out. That's part of the fun. All of my games have remote batteries or nvram anyway, so not much of an issue. The only thing I ask is that they replace the pinballs if they get worn and let me know if anything else breaks.

At the beginning of the pandemic, me and a few friends swapped machines temporarily. We've had each other's games for years now and none of us would even THINK of selling anyone else's game (at least without a lot of conversation). I've also borrowed two Trons from people that were absolutely generous and have never had an issue. In fact, it's been a lot of fun! None of us have really worried about timelines. They've had my TAF for almost 3 years, I've had their ToM for the same length of time.

Again, point being, that even when I've loaned out pins to non-pinhead friends, these were very long time friends. No paperwork, not a second of sleep lost.

There are 117 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.