13 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 years ago by Letter_K
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 13 years ago

So here it is: I'm deep in plans to open a business that sells gourmet hotdogs, has pool tables and 8 to 12 pinball machines.

I know that some have pinball parlors already and I would like to hear all I can about the subject. I am well trained at running a business, but I would like to hear of things I can do to attract people to what will be the only collection of pinball machines of its size in the immediate area.

Do you run leagues? How are the best ways to advertise and what demographics do you attract?

In a world like the one we live in, attempting this is a double-edged sword, as people are spending less, but the cost of operation has plummeted. I wish success upon my venture and believe it can be so.

#2 13 years ago

Good luck Letter K !!

#3 13 years ago

Good luck, not to many pinball parlors around anymore.

#4 13 years ago

Lotsa luck. If I were in the area I would def stop by. Most places like yours I've seen do hold tournaments, draws interest. Usually on the traditionally slow day like Wed or Thur if they do it weekly. But most hold them at least monthly.

#5 13 years ago

Tournaments, parties, specials on certain nights - 10 bucks to get in games on freeplay or something along those lines one day.

I would def do tournaments with machines on coin drop - then do a league night

#6 13 years ago

I would definitely make it available for private parties and events. Will you have a liquor license?

#7 13 years ago

Make sure you have a lot of foot traffic, and a good local community of pinball fans (which will grow as they play more and more machines). Be ready to not make much money and work long hours, especially at first. Also be ready for endless maintenance issues on a daily basis, if you cannot fix just about everything or have someone who can (for free, or very cheap) forget about it because you will be awash in repair bills. Also make sure you have a large variety of games, and understand that the newer fancy pins will always earn more. Also be ready for overly anal pin collector types to come in and tell you how you have a bulb and how your game is not as perfect as the one in their basement like they are some kinda pinball super hero or something. Also get used to (some) kids that think they are playing a video game and hit the flippers endlessly from ball launch to ball drain as fast as they can, sure it may be funny at first but again this only adds up to more maintenance for you (see above). Make your place as comfortable as you can for people, so they stay longer (and spend more). So offering drinks and snacks is a good plan, and getting a beer license is a great way to make extra money (beer/wine only, I would avoid full liquor for many reasons).

League and tourneys are pretty much a must. It took me a while to get this off the ground as the local community of players started to grow so did the league. I would schedule these on your slow nights, so that way you have a nice quarter income on a night when you would not have otherwise. Also contact the guys at ifpa so you can get WPPR points to your people which will get more people interested. Also I would find a place with electricity included, it is kind of important.

hope this helps and good luck.

fmpinball.com

p.s. don't open in my town, or we will be forced to have a rumble.

#8 13 years ago

This is what I want to hear. Thank you very much!

I will have a beer/wine licence, and I think it will be necessary for profitably. I'm pretty confident with newer machines as far as repair goes, and I don't plan on putting my collection of System 1 machines in the place.

I will have to start looking into how to host leagues and tournaments. I hadn't thought about free play nights, and I think that is a brilliant idea, especially since one of my entertainment plans is to provide live music on weekends. That would be cool to charge at the door and people get free games and music.

The location is traffic heavy, smack in the middle of the downtown commercial district for lunch, and surrounded by nightclubs in the evenings and weekends. I was originally planning to open three doors down from Maldoror, but I'm not sure if I would survive the rumble.

#9 13 years ago

The site we're courting used to be a place to take your kids to make pottery and has a 480v box out back. The entire place is lined with plugs. I will also start looking at the ifpa stuff

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/letter-ks-pinball-parlor-plans and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.