(Topic ID: 71550)

Let's work through this pile of playfields I need to restore in one thread.

By Whridlsoncestood

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-53.jpg
image-353.jpg
image-943.jpg
image-362.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image-50.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image-130.jpg
image-400.jpg
image-969.jpg
image.jpg
20131223_235821-901.jpg
image-583.jpg
image-51.jpg
There are 159 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 10 years ago
Quoted from NinJaBooT:

Its my guess that you adhere the wood putty directly to wood. I think it would have better bond?

Yeah from the thread he describes this fairly well as you need to drill small holes into the affected area to allow the wood putty to "hold on" and adhere to the rest of the outhole/saucer areas....than sand it down so that it's smooth and inline with the rest of the area. Than move onto those next steps.

#102 10 years ago

Thinking about that some more, wood putty before the first coat of clear makes sense. Any other flaw in my logic? N?ot to hijack the thread, just avoiding starting another. Thanks

#103 10 years ago

I would do the wood epoxy before any clearcoat. And like Pinballerchef mentioned I drill small holes in bad areas to give it more to bite into. On newer games wpc and on the playfield is already clearcoated so you shouldn't have to wory about sanding more artwork. Older games if you really wanted to clearcoat first before repairing these areas I would recommend sanding it all of from the wood areas you are repairing.

Also in your list of steps you have paint / decals in one step then clearcoat. You will have to paint then clearcoat and then do the decals and then all your final clearcoat. If you don't put the decals on a nice clearcoated surface the clear part will be all foggy.

-Jim

#104 10 years ago

Awesome stuff Jim. Continuing to watch this thread every day.

Question ... I have a couple of Funhouse playfields in what I would "think" are restorable condition. Knowing they aren't clear coated, can they take a light sanding to remove ground-in dirt and swirls? I'd like to give it a shot on my own and these would be junkers anyhow. I have an IPB repro ready to go in my FH but I'd rather restore and original if at all possible ... even if it doesn't look perfect.

#105 10 years ago

I know where one of those came from!

#106 10 years ago

I wouldn't sand them to remove the dirt. Magic eraser and alcohol. If it doesn't come out from that you are going to take up the paint. Magic eraser in essence is a very high grit sandpaper. Even that you have to be careful with to not take up paint by going to hard.

-Jim

#107 10 years ago

Some blue work. Now I can airbrush some black and get this banana insert cleaned up.

image.jpgimage.jpg
#109 10 years ago
Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

I wouldn't sand them to remove the dirt. Magic eraser and alcohol. If it doesn't come out from that you are going to take up the paint. Magic eraser in essence is a very high grit sandpaper. Even that you have to be careful with to not take up paint by going to hard.
-Jim

Glad I asked, thanks Jim.

#110 10 years ago

You have a good eye for color matching! I could have mixed colors for weeks and never got that light blue to work

#111 10 years ago

I took a while to match it. Started with a drop a blue. Many additions of white and put a drop on. Heat it with a hair dryer. Wipe with Naptha and see if its a match. If not wipe off with alcohol and add more white and try again. I was almost spot on but still just a bit off. It wasn't that it was too dark anymore. Put a single drop of green in and it was a match. Lots of trial and error.

-Jim

#112 10 years ago

I've been reading Michael Wilcox's work on color matching. He has a two-part segment on YouTube that I think is a must-watch for anyone wanting to mix colors...

#113 10 years ago

Almost done with T2. Needs to go over it closely and catch the few tiny details left.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage-51.jpgimage-51.jpgimage-583.jpgimage-583.jpg

#114 10 years ago

That cleaned up nice!

#116 10 years ago

Here is where it's going once it's done
20131223_235821-901.jpg20131223_235821-901.jpg

#118 10 years ago

T2 is pretty much ready for cleacoat. On to the little bit of work on MB and then I will clear both of them at the same time.

image-400.jpgimage-400.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage-969.jpgimage-969.jpgimage-130.jpgimage-130.jpg

#120 10 years ago

Wow, looking good!

#121 10 years ago

The force is strong in this one!

#122 10 years ago

Getting closer in this area. Little work on te fist to do still

image-50.jpgimage-50.jpg

Next big issue and should be last to tackle is this gradient where some one drive the wrong size screws through the playfield.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#123 10 years ago

Think I got it . Mixed a batch of the upper and lower colors in the big gradient areas. Cut the whole area out in the frisket. Sprayed each color slowly and from very far away and switched colors back and forth until I was happy with the cover up of the wear and the blending.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#124 10 years ago

Think I got it . Mixed a batch of the upper and lower colors in the big gradient areas. Cut the whole area out in the frisket. Sprayed each color slowly and from very far away and switched colors back and forth until I was happy with the cover up of the wear and the blending.

image.jpg 318 KB

Amazing

#125 10 years ago

Sprayed each color slowly and from very far away and switched colors back and forth until I was happy with the cover up of the wear and the blending

Very impressive indeed!

#126 10 years ago

Outstanding

#127 10 years ago

Sweet. That came out awesome.

#128 10 years ago

Oh please. That's OBVIOUSLY a pic of a different playfield. Right? Right? No?

That is just astounding to me that you can do that.

Chris

#129 10 years ago

Incredible work! When I see where you are located I think of the cars on Whitney ave. covered in asphalt.

#130 10 years ago

Yeah they got rid of that "ghost" parking lot. It was interesting for sure.

Since you're in CT you coming to the start of our league at the pinball store next week in orange?

In the middle of clearcoating right now. Lots of spray, block sand, spray, block sand, spray, block sand......

I spray a coat in the morning. Sand at night and repeat. I'm a couple coats in and sanded as of last night. After a couple coats I looks around for small low spots. Divots and things like that. On this T2 one big deep trail where the kick back is. image-362.jpgimage-362.jpgimage-943.jpgimage-943.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

I use a baby medicine syringe. Nice control of clearcoat to fill the divots. Once this dries I sand it nice and flat with everything else.

image-353.jpgimage-353.jpgimage-53.jpgimage-53.jpg

#131 10 years ago

And don't worry Greg. MB is being cleacoated at the same time but didn't have any divots I needed to fill.

#132 10 years ago

Exactly when and where does the league start? Sounds like fun but I work a lot of weekends. I'd like to make it. I have good memories of Milford amusement center when I was growing up.

#133 10 years ago

It starts next Wednesday at 7 PM Will be there at 6:30. Its part of the New England Pinball League. 8 weeks long. Its at The Pinball Store (Automated Services). 75 games set up including all the new Sterns.

#134 10 years ago

Well that stinks for me. I work second shift and Wednesday is the only day I never have off.

1 month later
#136 10 years ago

A little alcohol and magic eraser and we are as cleaned up as this is going to get.

I'm new to this hobby and have some basic cleaning questions for you:

1 - Can you expand on your cleaning methods a bit more?
2 - Are you using alcohol on a cotton rag (with elbow grease), then going over it with the Magic Eraser? (or vice versa)
3 - What kind of alcohol do you use?
4 - In your experience, is the combination of alcohol and a Magic Eraser safe enough just for a thorough cleaning (i.e. when you have no intention of stripping the playfield down, sanding and re-clearcoating)?

In other words: If you were not completely restoring a playfield - yet the playfield was pretty dirty - would your cleaning techniques change?

I have a Taxi and am looking for the best/safest/most effective way to clean a System 11 playfield....

This thread is amazing! I've learned quite a bit!

- Bob

#137 10 years ago
Quoted from scubadiver6:

2 - Are you using alcohol on a cotton rag (with elbow grease), then going over it with the Magic Eraser? (or vice versa)
4 - In your experience, is the combination of alcohol and a Magic Eraser safe enough just for a thorough cleaning (i.e. when you have no intention of stripping the playfield down, sanding and re-clearcoating)?
In other words: If you were not completely restoring a playfield - yet the playfield was pretty dirty - would your cleaning techniques change?
I have a Taxi and am looking for the best/safest/most effective way to clean a System 11 playfield....
- Bob

Here's my best understanding...

terryb has an awesome site with tons of great information: I've learned a lot there about soldering and cleaning playfields:
http://pinballrehab.com/1-articles/pinball-restoration/playfield/139-cleaning-playfield

In short, have an approach to cleaning a playfield like you would with wood flooring...

Would you wet-mop a dusty/dirty floor first, or vacuum it first? Why? The idea is get as much stuff off of there dry as you can, before you go "wet" -- once you go wet you are creating an abrasive mud that will then pack material back into grooves.

dry vacuum / dry rag / soft bristle brush... get all the dust off possible, before going to microfiber towels and 91% isopropyl and creating "mud" to clean/scour with.

When you've cleaned to your best ability with rags/91% -- then move to a magic eraser which has an abrasive quality. You want to do this once "as much particle" is removed as possible... that way you aren't magic-erasering with a tiny film of mud... For me the magic eraser step is about two things:
1. removing a yellowing of whiter/lighter areas
2. removing ball swirl marks

What this means is I don't necessarily magic eraser the entire playfield. Every bit of magic-eraser cleaning we do on a micro-level is abrasive and hard on the surface. If we just do it once carefully every 30 years, hopefully we'll be ok...

=)

-mof

#138 10 years ago

What 'cha doin with the old playfields? Someone is buying used playfields on ebay like "who tied the pup.! Maybe some pinsiders would like some!

#139 10 years ago

great thread.

#140 10 years ago
Quoted from scubadiver6:

- Bob

Hey Bob

For the magics eraser I use 91% isopropyl alcohol. I get the magic wet with out same you would to clean anything else with it but with the alcohol and not water.

Can be used to clean any playfield even if you aren't stripping and clearing. Just go slow and be careful you aren't cleaning off paint. It will get to a point when you can't clean everything. Then just while down with novus 2 and wax it.

I'm into a restoration of my taxi right now. I've been slacking on getting a thread going. I will get one up soon I hope.

-Jim

#141 10 years ago
Quoted from smokey_789:

What 'cha doin with the old playfields? Someone is buying used playfields on ebay like "who tied the pup.! Maybe some pinsiders would like some!

What old playfields? These are old playfields that people wanted me to restore for them. Not sure who's buying the ones on eBay.

-Jim

#142 10 years ago

Just stopping by to say, "Hi," Jim. I hope you don't get too much snow and ice dumped on you in the next couple of days. My sister lives in Manchester, so I hear about the CT weather quite often. We're expecting 3-6", which is a big deal down this way.

We're having the event for Barry Oursler here on the 22nd, so your HS will get a good workout. I had someone here the other day who raved about it and took pictures.

Nice to see your work again. Take care, friend.

#143 10 years ago

Thanks Craig. I'm actually suppose to fly out to Austin Texas to visit my brother during the middle of the storm thursday. It should be interesting. This winter has been crazy for me. Way too busy with frozen lines. Your Totan is still in my radar. May be moving this summer so I might have to hold off a bit if so as I don't want to have your game in pieces as I move. If I do move it will be worth the wait as I will be in a much better workshop space. Will make things much more efficient.

Glad High Speed is getting loved. Hope all goes well for the tournament. I trying to nail down a date in March to hold one for Barry here.

-Jim

#144 10 years ago

I'm actually suppose to fly out to Austin Texas to visit my brother during the middle of the storm Thursday. -Jim

Assuming you know, but check out pinballz if you make it here! Good luck

#146 10 years ago

I'm actually suppose to fly out to Austin Texas to visit my brother during the middle of the storm thursday. It should be interesting.

Pinballz is awesome. BYO and no under 18 after 9pm

have fun. Austin is a blast.

--Jeff

#147 10 years ago

Wish I could meet you out here while I'm here but I leave first thing on day morning and my wife is running the Austin marathon Sunday. Not sure if I will be there tomorrow or Saturday night. It's been a hell travel so far from the north east. Just got to Houston. Hopefully thy get us to Austin first thing in the morning.

-Jim

#148 10 years ago

Best of luck to you both!

#149 10 years ago

Playfields are looking good!

We have an office in Austin. .

#150 10 years ago

Stopped by to say thanks for putting this info out there. Finding it very helpful for my pinbot restoration.

Dan

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
$ 72.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 9.95
Machine - For Sale
Brighton, CO
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.99
£ 69.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys

$ 39.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

There are 159 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lets-work-through-this-pile-of-playfields-i-need-to-restore-in-one-thread/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.