(Topic ID: 71550)

Let's work through this pile of playfields I need to restore in one thread.

By Whridlsoncestood

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-53.jpg
image-353.jpg
image-943.jpg
image-362.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image-50.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image-130.jpg
image-400.jpg
image-969.jpg
image.jpg
20131223_235821-901.jpg
image-583.jpg
image-51.jpg
There are 159 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 10 years ago

Alright so I sit here tonight knee deep in playfield work. Doing a few of these at the same time so I figured I would throw them all up in one thread.

My view tonight:image.jpgimage.jpg

#2 10 years ago

So what we have is a Pinbot done and awating the arrival of its cabinet and owner this weekend to put back in and play test it. On the rotisserie is a BoP. On the wall is a T2 and a MB. In the closet is a finished Freddy that you can't see and on the far right is a "donor" BoP

-Jim

#3 10 years ago

On the rotisserie tonight is a BoP. Freshly pulled Mylar but glue is still on. For some reason some one robbed the center insert out of this game.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage-967.jpgimage-967.jpgimage-597.jpgimage-597.jpgimage-340.jpgimage-340.jpgimage-234.jpgimage-234.jpgimage-745.jpgimage-745.jpgimage-398.jpgimage-398.jpgimage-421.jpgimage-421.jpgimage-212.jpgimage-212.jpg

#5 10 years ago

Lets go take a look at our donor playfield that is just too far gone and get a new center insert for our other one. image.jpgimage.jpgimage-849.jpgimage-849.jpgimage-660.jpgimage-660.jpg

#6 10 years ago

Ceter insert in its new home. image.jpgimage.jpg

#7 10 years ago

A little alcohol and magic eraser and we are as cleaned up as this is going to get. Looking much better now.

Tomorrow I will re level all the large inserts in the big wheel and sand out the shooter lane. Then we can put this one to the side for awhile. image-833.jpgimage-833.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage-881.jpgimage-881.jpg

#8 10 years ago

What method do you use to take the Mylar glue off?

#9 10 years ago

Goo Gone and flour. Dust it with flour. Must with gel goo gone. Roll a pile of flour over the glue and roll the glue right off. Safest method for these older games. No scraping and losing more paint.

WPC era games(clearcoated) I use a strong orange base chemical degreaser. Let it sit for a few seconds and comes right off with a plastic razor blade. This stuff will take paint and varnish off the system 11 and earlier games. Will post a picture of the product when I clean the glue on MB and T2.

-Jim

#10 10 years ago

Jim,
How are you leveling inserts now?
Have you changed up your process since your early restores?

Thanks
Jeff

#11 10 years ago

That must have been the super LE hologram xrated insert.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

Jim,
How are you leveling inserts now?
Have you changed up your process since your early restores?
Thanks
Jeff

For raised inserts like these that are still flat I go with this method:

image.jpgimage.jpgimage-469.jpgimage-469.jpg

If its a cupped insert I will still fill it clear coat to level it. System 11 games usually don't have cupped inserts. Its more EM and real early SS games.

-Jim

#13 10 years ago

I am guessing the Data East games are not clear coated? Wanting to take the Mylar off a BTTF but have not removed Mylar from a DE yet.

Thankd

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from Lonzo:

I am guessing the Data East games are not clear coated? Wanting to take the Mylar off a BTTF but have not removed Mylar from a DE yet.
Thankd

Depends on the year of the game. I know I have a hook that is. Says diamond coat on the lower part of the playfield. BTTF might be before they started tho. I will get a picture to show you the logo I'm talking about.

-Jim

#15 10 years ago

Now here is how I do it in clearcoated games

Spray this:

image-819.jpgimage-819.jpg

Wait 5 minutes. Scrape with a plastic razor very lightly and 10 seconds later you have this.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#16 10 years ago

I've used 909 on an Earthshaker with great results, but also have heard horror stories.

#17 10 years ago

I'm assuming use of the Harpoon is the most important part of the process when attempting the removals eh.

#18 10 years ago

Here is the condition of the monster bash.

Bit of shooter lane wear.

Some popped up screw holes around drac assembly from some one using too long of screws.

Darcy track wear and mosh pit scoop wear

image.jpgimage.jpgimage-463.jpgimage-463.jpgimage-49.jpgimage-49.jpgimage-85.jpgimage-85.jpg

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from yfz450:

I've used 909 on an Earthshaker with great results, but also have heard horror stories.

Yeah. The older the game the quicker it can go horribly wrong. System 11's you may get lucky but if you leave it on there a minute too long its going to fun up the finish on the playfield and make a mess.

-Jim

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

I'm assuming use of the Harpoon is the most important part of the process when attempting the removals eh.

Very important.

Although I would recommend a different version of harpoon. That cranberry harvest wasn't a good choice.

-Jim

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

Here is the condition of the Monster Bash.
Bit of shooter lane wear.
Some popped up screw holes around drac assembly from some one using too long of screws.
Darcy track wear and mosh pit scoop wear

image.jpg 270 KB

image-463.jpg 424 KB

image-85.jpg 502 KB

image-49.jpg 507 KB

Woo-hoo...monster bash playfield love!

#22 10 years ago

Bop shooter lane sanded. Needs a bit more on the top skill shot groove

-Jimimage.jpgimage.jpgimage-738.jpgimage-738.jpg

#23 10 years ago

We wanna hear more MB....!

(sorry, I will quietly sit and behave now and wait my turn)

Seriously BoP looking good....looks like that shooter lane is a lot better than what I handed you from my BoP!

#24 10 years ago

Its comming. Just prepping and cleaning all 3 at once. Then BoP will sit to the side for a bit while I tackle T2 and MB.

T2 pre cleaning. Just pulled the Mylar. image-662.jpgimage-662.jpgimage-564.jpgimage-564.jpgimage-913.jpgimage-913.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage-124.jpgimage-124.jpgimage-949.jpgimage-949.jpg

#25 10 years ago

That T2 actually overall looks not bad. How are the insert edges? So many of them get chewed up along them.

#26 10 years ago

It's actually pretty rough. Banana insert is messed up and sharpied. Big screw pops around the pop bumpers as bare wood. Lots of raised inserts. Going to be a lot of work redoing the flourencents. image-712.jpgimage-712.jpgimage-460.jpgimage-460.jpgimage-990.jpgimage-990.jpgimage-223.jpgimage-223.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage-952.jpgimage-952.jpgimage-604.jpgimage-604.jpg

-Jim

#27 10 years ago

This looks like it will be a long and entertaining thread. I love this kind of stuff. Thanks for doing it. Keep up the good work.

#28 10 years ago

No wonder he's dropped of the face of the earth, drowning in playfields! just got one of your early examples for home use now
welcome to stop in and see what an amateur you used to be lol
keep up the great work, always awesome to see you do your thing and make old playfields like new!

#29 10 years ago

Any chance of seeing some before and after shots of the Freddy? Also curious if it had the full mylar and how the removal went, I haven't heard much about this era of Gottliebs

#30 10 years ago

Thanks for posting these pics!! Hopefully you'll keep updating here!! I'm gonna put this in my favorites and keep checking back

Great work so far!!

#31 10 years ago

Thanks for sharing. Please keep us posted. You are much braver than me for tackling these projects.

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from ssbodyman:

Any chance of seeing some before and after shots of the Freddy? Also curious if it had the full mylar and how the removal went, I haven't heard much about this era of Gottliebs

Not too much to show there. Playfield just had a couple tiny spots by the boiler saucer. Full playfield mylar. Freeze spray would not touch it. Hair dryer worked wonderfully and left very little glue behind. Once that was pulled a couple tiny black spots on the keylines of inserts was all it needed.

-Jim

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from jespo_19:

No wonder he's dropped of the face of the earth, drowning in playfields! just got one of your early examples for home use now
welcome to stop in and see what an amateur you used to be lol
keep up the great work, always awesome to see you do your thing and make old playfields like new!

Will definitely be seeing you this week to take you up on that offer. Curious to see some of my orginal work again.

#34 10 years ago

Can I please buy that donor BOP playfield for a reasonable amount? I gave up getting someone to restore my playfield and turned to trying to make an overlay. I need a donor playfield to play with though as I don't want to mess up my playfield trying to get this right. If so, shoot me a pm.

#35 10 years ago

Working on restoring bad cats. Have you used this to clean out swirls and lines? Works great Few thousand cotton swabs and Carpel Tunnel of course lol. You go from hairy black swirls and lines to original color. Recommend it if anyone needs to clean a dirty PF. "Also" if you have any PF's that you dont want to restore, I am looking to buy them for LED wall art. bleche-white.pngbleche-white.png

#36 10 years ago

That stuff is highly alkaline, like 90% water and corrosive according to the MSDS.

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

That stuff is highly alkaline (and corrosive according to the MSDS).

yep it's pretty strong, you need to neutralize it after you work on an area. I use cotton tips and work in a small area. Still takes a lot of work to get the black swirls out. But you need to be careful. Its intended for a restoration that involves repainting in areas and then re-clearing or Mylar. I had areas of the PF that were just about black full of swirls and lines and this stuff takes it right out.

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

Working on restoring bad cats. Have you used this to clean out swirls and lines? Works great Few thousand cotton swabs and Carpel Tunnel of course lol. You go from hairy black swirls and lines to original color. Recommend it if anyone needs to clean a dirty PF. "Also" if you have any PF's that you dont want to restore, I am looking to buy them for LED wall art.

bleche-white.png 180 KB

Makes wiring harnesses look as good as new. Just rinse thoroughly.

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Can I please buy that donor BOP playfield for a reasonable amount? I gave up getting someone to restore my playfield and turned to trying to make an overlay. I need a donor playfield to play with though as I don't want to mess up my playfield trying to get this right. If so, shoot me a pm.

Sure thing. Just need to find a blank replacement center insert. I will measure the size and see if any vendors have one in stock.

-Jim

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

Working on restoring bad cats. Have you used this to clean out swirls and lines? Works great Few thousand cotton swabs and Carpel Tunnel of course lol. You go from hairy black swirls and lines to original color. Recommend it if anyone needs to clean a dirty PF. "Also" if you have any PF's that you dont want to restore, I am looking to buy them for LED wall art.

bleche-white.png 180 KB

Going with KoolMoe on this one. Its great for cleaning wiring harness'. Use to be much better before it was branded with the black magic. Still pretty caustic and toxic stuff. I wouldn't bother with it on a playfield. Magic eraser and 92% alcohol do just fine getting all the ball swirls out and isn't as harmful to the wood with very little water in it.

I do have a bunch of playfields lying around. Most are restorable so I hold onto them. I may have an F-14 thats missing a vast majority of the artwork that I may be willing to let go.

-Jim

#41 10 years ago

Thanks for sharing, great work!

#42 10 years ago

Pinbot left Sunday. Pinballerchef made the long drive with his cab and we loaded the playfield in. Quick hours of adjusting and tweaking. A bit of playing and he was back on the road.
image-692.jpgimage-692.jpgimage-92.jpgimage-92.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage-288.jpgimage-288.jpg
Back to more playfield cleaning now.

-Jim

#43 10 years ago

May I ask what happens to the BOP playfield?

#44 10 years ago

Needs some touchups and some repaints in discolored areas from Mylar removal. I'd like to get a stable coat of clear on it before I go to much further as its real easy to do more damage and lift some paint when masking on the older playfields. The owner of the bop wants to clear it themselves so it will be going into there hands for a bit when they are moved into their new place. Otherwise I would base clear it when I clear T2 ant MB.

-Jim

#45 10 years ago

A bunch of magic erasers a bunch of alcohol(of more than one kind) and its clean. Now we need to remove the white film left by the magic eraser. image-217.jpgimage-217.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#46 10 years ago

A tag with some Naptha cleans the magic eraser dust right up. Now we are left with a fairly dull surface.

image-344.jpgimage-344.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#47 10 years ago

Next is like to sand the playfield nice and flat and clean up some areas like saucers and the shooter lane but we have some raised inserts to deal with again. Mostly the big rectangular ones leading to the two ramps.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#49 10 years ago

Maybe a silly question, but do you take your inserts out completely and reset/glue them? Or do you heat them up until the existing glue softens and then clamp them down flush with the surface?

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from RDM:

Maybe a silly question, but do you take your inserts out completely and reset/glue them? Or do you heat them up until the existing glue softens and then clamp them down flush with the surface?

Wondering this too, as I read recently they are likely to pop back up unless re-glued. My F-14 playfield looks like a Lego brick.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
£ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 249.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
$ 75.00
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

3,152 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pulaski, PA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Horror Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

5,400 (OBO)
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.99
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 27.95
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 159 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lets-work-through-this-pile-of-playfields-i-need-to-restore-in-one-thread and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.