(Topic ID: 131206)

Let's try and keep Pinside friendly!

By robin

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

the-decline-of-western-civilization.jpg
    poster50195737.jpg
    In person vs. online.jpg
    IMG_20150611_161805.jpg
    Pink.JPG
    mjpopcorn.gif
    Pinside.jpg
    1313783734-screen_shot_2011-08-19_at_12.54.08_pm.png
    lemur.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vanilla.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#375 8 years ago

Someone mentioned downvoting. I think having downvotes on any website is just asking for trouble. It's not like pinball is a crucial matter, so why ask for drama? Besides, since when do people need feedback to every dang thing they say? Since when do people need to give feedback to others in a nonverbal way (er, a non-text way)? Only when websites started doing the up/downvote concept, that's when. It's done to pull in people, to get them more involved, which serves the website, yet we see the deleterious side effects, don't we? You wonder how did people cope prior to this. It's better to get rid of comment voting and make people who are involved enough in the topic to comment in a new post. If they are too lazy or indifferent to comment, all the better that we do not see their vote. Consider the IPDB ratings system, for example. Many people ignore the actual ratings as farcical and instead find value in the comments left there. And that would be the right way to do it. Ditch the voting and go with human conversation.

#413 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

You need downvoting because sometimes someone makes an authoritative tech post that is completely wrong.
    Without downvoting, someone might read only that far into the thread and take the posting as gospel.

Ok, you are using it in an encoded way to indicate you have replied to the post. Ok. But, just for the sake of friendly discussion, if that tech's post is on page 3 and your corrective response is on page 388 (not uncommon here) because you went ahead and posted your corrective reply because you yourself didn't want to wade through all of those pages to see if someone else already caught the tech's error(s), well I bet a reader on page 3 who "might" notice your downvote may not "hear" your implied message that somewhere in those next 385 pages is your useful correction. I suggest it's better (and doable) for the webmaster to have a clickable place in each comment to pull up a thread of replies to said comment so we do not have to rely on the uncertainty of creative users who informally use the downvote for that purpose. Then, one less reason for that downvote feature.

Quoted from pezpunk:

yeah, i also think it's useful for expressing disagreement without making an actual reply post, which is often redundant if a lot of people are disagreeing with someone, or just starts a back and forth argument.

Well, ok. But, me, if someone else has posted and made my point, I don't need to weigh in to.. do what.. just to make people see that I had the same point? I guess I do not see who would ever care that you voted to avoid an argument. Why not just do nothing? It would just be my ego making me redundantly vote, not a belief that anybody cared to see it. Also, if I had more to say, a downvote would be inadequate and I would simply post what I had to say. Like I'm doing now. Have you noticed I did not downvote your comments? Downvoting is pointless to me and apparently induces ill will to the nice but susceptible folks among us. I guess I just don't see the upside of that.

For those people reading this and who VOTE reduntantly (as you put it) in lieu of COMMENTING reduntantly, what drives you or anyone to feel you need to weigh in redundantly at all? Myself, I don't need a volume of yes or noes for anything I say here. I prefer intellectual discussion. As far as offering my opinions, is my opinion so shaky and volatile that it really matters how many downvotes I get? No. Do I really lookup each downvote to see whose anonymous username-and-photo disagreed? That's silly. So, I don't care how people vote and that's why I can't grasp why other people care about that as a meaningful substitute for text. And if someone doesn't want to type out a comment that's already been typed out, well who needs to read a duplicate comment anyway, am I right? Duplicate comments and all voting are all extraneous to me. I see voting as useless stuff that causes problems. But I already said that, didn't I? LOL.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vanilla.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lets-try-and-keep-pinside-family-friendly?tu=vanilla and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.