(Topic ID: 131206)

Let's try and keep Pinside friendly!

By robin

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

the-decline-of-western-civilization.jpg
    poster50195737.jpg
    In person vs. online.jpg
    IMG_20150611_161805.jpg
    Pink.JPG
    mjpopcorn.gif
    Pinside.jpg
    1313783734-screen_shot_2011-08-19_at_12.54.08_pm.png
    lemur.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thedefog.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#212 8 years ago

Historically, pinball is not a family amusement. It has been and still is loaded with sexual innuendos (wnbjm) and images. Yet in comparison to modern video games (GTA and the like), it is really, really tame.

Robin, I understand if you want to censor the off-topic random boob pics and whatnot, I agree that doesn't make sense on a pinball forum. But you cannot deny the seedy history associated with pinball. I think you're at a clash of demographics unfortunately, like trying to make a PG rated website to discuss R rated movies. The seedier side comes with the territory, as not everyone that is interested in pinball cares about being family-oriented.

I don't see how you could possibly keep a pinball website mostly family appropriate without a lot of moderation unfortunately. I would like to see pinball and this website be a more inviting place though, from the outside in I can imagine it doesn't always look inviting. But again, its your website, you can do whatever you please with it. I love this place, and I enjoy helping people with tech questions here. But I also enjoy the adult discussions here, lots of varying opinions and colorful personalities with the commonality of love for pinball. It would stink to come here and not be able to engage in those conversations. Just my thoughts.

#245 8 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Historically, women couldn't vote, segregation was practiced, and so on. Just because something was the norm or was practiced years ago, doesn't mean it should or has stayed that way. Pinball isn't a shady, backroom game any more that only attracts seedy hooligans. We can appreciate past artwork in the historical context in which it was created, but still make room for it in a friendly environment.
    I just attended NJGecko's pinball gathering, and it was indeed a very family-friendly event. There were 10-year-olds, 65-year-olds, and all ages in between. It was simply a fun gathering with people who also had an interest in pinball.
    Something doesn't have to be R or X-rated in order to have fun, and negativity doesn't make something fun.
    And that's the point of pinball (or any hobby), isn't it? To have fun and share your interest with others.

Touche. I guess what I'm getting at is that I'm for the preservation of the sexual innuendos and imagery that pins have had. Yeah, they could change, but if it were up to me, I'd want to see even raunchier and more adult oriented games. That's just my opinion and personality though, not everyone has to agree. Python's game should have been made, imo.

#246 8 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Fuck, I think vibrater commercials on TV are offensive so by God lets ban all vibrater commercials.

I'm offended by your spelling of "vibrator".

#256 8 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Robin isn't saying we shouldn't be able to discuss that stuff. No one is saying we can't post pics of Zingy Bingy. If it's pinball it's fair game.
    If someone makes a new Playboy pin it's going to be allowed here too. Pinball first. But if it's not actually about pinball, and is just a picture of someone jiggling her boobs, then we can probably live without it just fine.
    I like breasts! But surely the novelty of posting a BUMP gif has gotten old by now?
    Beyond that though, why can't we just try and be nice to each other? I know that when I play pinball with people I like to gossip, talk games, exchange rumors, swap tips, etc. I don't pick fights.
    I mean I'm a pretty opinionated guy, doubt anyone would argue with that. I've been plenty critical of things here. But I hopefully don't come off as someone negative. You can be critical but constructive.

Douchers are gonna be douchers. Talking about them isn't gonna change them into nice guys unfortunately. Most people here are cool and don't take things too seriously or personally. I have only 3 people on ignore since I've been here. That's pretty good for any forum. I think Robin and crew do a fantastic job. They spot the trolls and personal attackers fairly early on and do something about it, and they don't get it wrong too often at all.

And you are one of the most constructive voices here Aurich. You just said that negative comment so I'd say something positive about you. Seriously though, you do a a consistent job of weighing sides of a discussion.

#276 8 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Perhaps Pinside should move to a real name policy.

This is a bad idea for a lot of reasons. And allowing some people to be anonymous would absolutely single them out. Google tried to do real name policy, and everyone freaked out because of the fear associated with your name being attached to something and people being able to easily track them down. Not to mention, if someone manages to gain access to your real-name account, they could do a lot of reputation damage.

Anyone that wants to know who I am can find out real fast by just googling "the defog". But that was my choice. I like the idea of having the choice, granted it allows for trolls and behavior that people will not reproduce in public, but that's the internet for you. Besides, what is to stop someone from using a fake name?

#289 8 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

But maybe limiting posting ability per user per thread per time unit would be an idea for the new account trolls?

I've been to forums that limit how much you can post with a new account. Although it sounds good in theory, I think it overall just leads to people feeling limited as to what they can do, and eventual disinterest in the forum. A lot of new/semi-new members like to hear the sound of their own voice <-------- Me

#458 8 years ago

Thread lock time?

#502 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I simply was amazed that there are about 200 posts in this thread that mention "Boob Pics", yet not a single boob pic exists on Pinside.

I think we need clarification here, not a single boob pic showing nipples. Plenty of boob pics here.

I never understood the censorship of nipples personally. It is one of the most confusing censored objects there is in the USA to me. You can technically show everything BUT a nipple, and it is okay. Its like being allowed to show an entire weener, minus the tip as the reversal for guys. It really makes zero sense. It becomes even more confusing after you have kids. But if that is what is necessary to make this place more friendly, then so be it. I'm surprised this thread is still open.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thedefog.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lets-try-and-keep-pinside-family-friendly?tu=thedefog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.