(Topic ID: 131206)

Let's try and keep Pinside friendly!

By robin

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

the-decline-of-western-civilization.jpg
    poster50195737.jpg
    In person vs. online.jpg
    IMG_20150611_161805.jpg
    Pink.JPG
    mjpopcorn.gif
    Pinside.jpg
    1313783734-screen_shot_2011-08-19_at_12.54.08_pm.png
    lemur.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pezpunk.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#192 8 years ago
    Quoted from sd_tom:

Is there a way for mods to see how many people are ignoring someone? It seems like a quickish way to not have to read every post but get a sense of pattern of behavior and may be able to help decided what folks are just not worth having around? Not to say this many ignores=ban but just a piece of information. I thought of something else but I think it would back fire - public top 10 ignored people on pinside list or something but there are those that like any attention they can get.

Yeah, I've been on a messageboard that had a public ignore list, and it was a total disaster of a feature that was eventually removed. The public ignore list transformed the ignore feature from being a way to not see someone's posts (intended to reduce drama and negativity) into a mechanism for alpha posters to bully / embarrass / publicly shame other posters. Also created tons of drama stemming directly from the ignore list itself.

#205 8 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

How about some "troll policing"... like a feature that flags potential troll users by the number of people who have put them on ignore?
    So...
    1) This would motivate people to use the ignore user function more, because they are essentially flagging that user towards review/ban.
    2) The more ignored a user is, the less bickering that will happen
    3) If that user hits some sort of threshold, they get autobanned or something for "Behavior not becoming a Pinsider" or something. The community is determining this. It could be a powerful tool against trolls.

I get the motivation for this idea but in practice it turns the board into a perpetual drama factory. As I said earlier --

Quoted from pezpunk:

Yeah, I've been on a messageboard that had a public ignore list, and it was a total disaster of a feature that was eventually removed. The public ignore list transformed the ignore feature from being a way to not see someone's posts (intended to reduce drama and negativity) into a mechanism for alpha posters to bully / embarrass / publicly shame other posters. Also created tons of drama stemming directly from the ignore list itself.

#207 8 years ago

Mob rule is not the solution, guys.

#244 8 years ago

I think the j-pop and skit-b (and to a lesser extent JJP and PPS) situations are inevitably going to breed a ton of anger and negativity that will spill over into personal clashes moreso than in years prior. I think it's a cool idea to just sorta remind people to make a more conscious effort to make Pinside a nice and considerate and welcoming place.

#359 8 years ago
    Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

This would be a good idea IMO.

i disagree. a down vote is not harassment. it's an indication of disagreement. people need to grow a thicker skin about down votes and not act like it is harassment. furthermore, ignoring a person should not mean that person can no longer comment on that person's comments. a person posting on a public forum should not be able to opt out of getting feedback on the things they post.

#365 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Is that now verboten too? It may be an older term but I don't think it ever went out of style.

i mean ... i can't comment on whether it's allowed or not but it's certainly considered sexist by normal people.

#380 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

You need downvoting because sometimes someone makes an authoritative tech post that is completely wrong.
    Without downvoting, someone might read only that far into the thread and take the posting as gospel.

yeah, i also think it's useful for expressing disagreement without making an actual reply post, which is often redundant if a lot of people are disagreeing with someone, or just starts a back and forth argument.

#381 8 years ago

edit: never mind, dumb tangent.

#451 8 years ago
    Quoted from Gerry:

let people be who they are
    within nornal 2015 current day standards..... not "1950" standards
    and most of these issues would be gone !

actually it's not so much the profanity but the 1950s style sexism that robin is asking to be toned down.

#453 8 years ago
    Quoted from Gerry:

Also, i think if the minority would stop trying to change the majority
    then there would be less issues...
    if your in the minority, then realize it.. make a decision to participate or leave others alone..
    its when the minority bitches is when shit goes bad...

But majority does not rule here. This is Robin's house. His rules. He made a simple request to please be more respectful to each other and to tone down off-topic boobie pics. It's really that simple.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pezpunk.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lets-try-and-keep-pinside-family-friendly?tu=pezpunk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.