(Topic ID: 131206)

Let's try and keep Pinside friendly!

By robin

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

the-decline-of-western-civilization.jpg
    poster50195737.jpg
    In person vs. online.jpg
    IMG_20150611_161805.jpg
    Pink.JPG
    mjpopcorn.gif
    Pinside.jpg
    1313783734-screen_shot_2011-08-19_at_12.54.08_pm.png
    lemur.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider labnip.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#332 8 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

I agree with thedefog. Making real names mandatory is not realistic.
    Maybe an alternative: we could offer the *ability* to become a verified Pinsider. That is, get your ID/credentials checked via a third party ID checker service and then getting a "verified" icon next to your Pinside user name. The icon indicates that your credentials are known to Pinside without the need to actually post your name on the site anywhere (well, unless you want to). Just thinking out loud here.

Interesting approach... But I'm not sure too many would agree with it
    But maybe limiting posting ability per user per thread per time unit would be an idea for the new account trolls?

O-din says he'll do all the verifications of the 26,000 registered users, but he has to get his avatar back first

#342 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Most of my friends call me Odin now, so maybe it is time to drop the hyphen.

I was trying to stay proper in the all new & improved pinside culture . Hehehe...

There's an interesting idea... Just noodling here... Maybe we should all be required to reference each other with formal titles in front of someone's username when addressing someone, or get an eject

For example:
    Mr. Jpop is incompetent and in the end stole lots of good folks' money.
    Instead of writing:
    Jpop is incompetent and in the end stole lots of good folks' money.

This newly required formal title "Mr." (Ms., Mrs., Dr.) could help reflect respect for one another, and as a result make it a more respectful family friendly environment. But, what title do we use for gender-unknown usernames (like mine ) or even all the transgender people on pinside? Maybe... use "Pin." or "Citizen" for mystery cases or everyone?
    Then, the new policy would show an example like:
    Pin. Skit-B is incompetent and has refused to refund good folks' money.
    -or-
    Citizen Skit-B is incompetent and has refused to refund good folks' money.

Other ideas:
    1. Completely remove the ability to upload anything. Remove all images.
    2. Only allow threads about pinball maintenance, repairs & highly structured instructions on how to play.
    3. New threads should not be created until a new pinball machine is created, so that maintenance, repairs & highly structured instructions can be written in text only. All threads are pre-structured by manufacturer & specific pinball machine.
    4. A Citizen's gender is irrelevant & in no way should ever be typed about. Disclosure of gender & any gender related typing is an immediate thread eject. Any text typed about gender is 100% off limits, like cults, race & politics. Further reinforcement to only use the term Citizen as the formal title prior to typing anyone's username.
    5. Remove Polls & Voting. This eliminates: arguments about interpretation of results, arguments about how poll questions are written or missing options, eliminates use of opinions that we know vary across the spectrum of Citizens here, posting of links to poll-based topics on other threads which we know greatly infuriate some Citizen Moderator & Citizens.
    6. Seriously evaluate the ellimination of typed words that describe any form of emotion. Emotions are interpreted differently by different Citizens, and often Citizens have a wide ranging variety of (and often inconsistent) emotions on the same topic, which only instigates negativity. Since words describing emotion are not fact based and in the end are only opinions, they too have no place in the well structured threads about maintenance, repairs & highly structured instructions on how to play pinball. Look at the countless examples of threads & posts using terms like (love, hate, fun, boring, redundant, enjoy, dislike, indifferent, ugly, attractive, average, ...). These are seeds of public volatility sitting, germinating and waiting to cause further typed Citizen negativity.
    7. Not show a Citizen's post of down-votes or up-votes made by people they have on Ignore.
    8. Reflect on the mirror universe philosophy of the newly themed Rob Zombie pin... Less human than human.

But I digress

#352 8 years ago
    Quoted from Plungemaster:

Only thing i would like to ask to Robin. Is when you ignore someone, he still can downvote you, and harras you on every topic. Could you change that?
    When you ignore someone, i dont want anything to do with him/her. It is freaking annoying when you put someone on ignore, you still see his downvote every time you are just saying normal stuff.
    atm, when someone is annoying you, and you ignore him, he can still continue doing it.
    And when you make the, obvious, change, make it so, when someone downvotes a member who has him on ignore, give him a message he cant downvote.
    Let those trolls feel they are not welcome anymore.

good call +1

#364 8 years ago

well great... i had to look up "verboten"

#424 8 years ago
    Quoted from Sly_Old_Devil:

Seems like a lot of drama coming from people who don't want/like drama, look at the hot threads, people like drama (whether they think they do or not), ...

^^ that

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider labnip.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lets-try-and-keep-pinside-family-friendly?tu=labnip and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.