(Topic ID: 131206)

Let's try and keep Pinside friendly!

By robin

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

the-decline-of-western-civilization.jpg
    poster50195737.jpg
    In person vs. online.jpg
    IMG_20150611_161805.jpg
    Pink.JPG
    mjpopcorn.gif
    Pinside.jpg
    1313783734-screen_shot_2011-08-19_at_12.54.08_pm.png
    lemur.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider baiter.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#290 8 years ago

This thread is a perfect example if the real issue at Pinside which I can sum up in 4 simple words: You need thick skin. Once that makes sense, then you understand why many people are turned off by the site, or have a hard time recommending it to others. To me Pinside is a lot like Facebook, you may not like some things, and you will inevitably learn hard lessons about how to post without getting beaten down, but the amount of information about Pinball is unparalleled, and more than worth the effort (though I'll recommend Pinside over Facebook 100x over).

The mods do a good job of purging or hiding overly explicit pics that are almost always off-topic, and they do a good job of warning when things get to attack mode, but there's so much more confrontational banter that mods can do nothing about that makes the site tedious to visit on occasion.

The best worst example of behavior is the for sale ads... I can't count the amount of times I've seen someone post a game for sale and then get ripped one side and down the other 5 different ways. It's almost always unnecessary... if a game is overpriced, then no one will buy it. If the condition is not as reflected, it's probably ok to point out some things, but that's not how the discussion normally unfolds.

The second is the failed boutiques... and it's largely understandable there will be a lot of negativity. As long as it's kept civil and within those threads, Pinside will be better off overall. It is a necessary evil to have it here.

As to the rest, it's much better. The ignore user feature is very helpful, I've blocked only one person, and inevitably every time I see a hidden post from that person in any thread I see an immediate reply berating him for what he said, every single time. In other words, it's likely the negativity is isolated to a handful of people, and Robin has provided nice ways to deal with it. Use the person/thread drains and carry on.

#297 8 years ago
    Quoted from thedefog:

I've been to forums that limit how much you can post with a new account. Although it sounds good in theory, I think it overall just leads to people feeling limited as to what they can do, and eventual disinterest in the forum. A lot of new/semi-new members like to hear the sound of their own voice <-------- Me

I'm also opposed to posting limits, it's a huge barrier to entry, and I'm failing to see seeing what problem it solves. Moderation and peer pressure to behave are a better blanket solution.

#404 8 years ago
    Quoted from jarjarisgod:

The common thread between the three is that a lot of people have a lot of money on the line. When you mess with peoples' bank accounts emotions run high and things can spiral downward quickly.

You are correct that a large chunk of the negativity is on the threads where someone took someone elses $thousands, but that has nothing to do with boob pics.

Quoted from mcluvin:

hat is the demographic breakdown for active users on this site? I'll be shocked if it isn't at least 99% male. If you really want to monetize the site, do you cater to the 99% or piss on them to grow the 1%? I say figure out a way to grow the 1% while keeping the other 99% happy. Take a room full of guys shooting the shi*, bustin balls, and and talking about guy stuff like pinball. Tell them they need to tone it down, be nice, and make their conversations family friendly. Do you think the majority are going to view that positively or negatively? You can hope for the former all you want, but you can expect the latter from most.

In my leagues the composition is more like 88% male, which correlates well with attendance I see at expos. You can't really equate Pinside to a room full of guys because it is a public forum, so if Pinside is actually 99% male that's a good indicator of a possible gender issue on Pinside, because that ratio is not carrying over from the actual in-person audience composition. It is part of what Robin is trying to address.

#492 8 years ago

Thread summary...

Robin: Please don't post distrespectful pics and be respectful to each other

Pinsiders read it as: Argue about whether pics and posts are actually disrespectful, and throw personal insults to those who don't agree

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider baiter.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lets-try-and-keep-pinside-family-friendly?tu=baiter and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.