(Topic ID: 131206)

Let's try and keep Pinside friendly!

By robin

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

the-decline-of-western-civilization.jpg
    poster50195737.jpg
    In person vs. online.jpg
    IMG_20150611_161805.jpg
    Pink.JPG
    mjpopcorn.gif
    Pinside.jpg
    1313783734-screen_shot_2011-08-19_at_12.54.08_pm.png
    lemur.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Northernhuskie2.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#2 8 years ago

Let's all poop rainbows and make this the happiest, most friendliest, most pc place ever conceived!

#5 8 years ago

Nope just agreeing with the man. For some reason 2 people disagree that this place should be fun and family friendly. If I disagreed I would have down voted the op.

#11 8 years ago

Maybe people jumping to conclusions and getting offended about things is really the problem, not the potentially offensive items themselves. Like any interaction, the involved parties all have their own interpretation of the events. People should probably only speak for themselves as they are the only one who would know their own interpretation.

#13 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Does that mean that any pinball art that may not be politically correct or may not be family friendly also has no place here now?

I'd say be safe, scrub history. Everyone should be happy, even if that makes you unhappy. Do it for the children!

#31 8 years ago
    Quoted from Mamushka:

I thought it was originally intended to be for gambling...

Don't let facts get in the way, please put history in the memory hole. We have always been at war with Eastasia.

#44 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Perhaps. For the last week when trying to upload cigar dog as my Avatar, it says no image chosen.

Dogs are family friendly (usually), smoking is clearly not. Joe Camel is out, so is smoking dogs.

#230 8 years ago
    Quoted from jlm33:

Love the no-bullsh*t talk from Texans
    Tend to agree...up to a point.
    You may call someone - including me - dumb, ignorant, a troll, a fat-assed French, etc... Fine with me.

But you can't do that here, it's not allowed.

#231 8 years ago
    Quoted from Breaking_Dad:

We could all just act our age... ..……......NAAAA... ................Joey

People here are doing just that, that's what's being asked to stop.

#233 8 years ago
    Quoted from Breaking_Dad:

No sir....I'm very sorry...having fun was not being asked to stop...now have yourself a very wonderful rest of your day................Joey

When did the word fun appear in my comment? It was specifically about acting our ages.

#241 8 years ago
    Quoted from goingincirclez:

Interesting that so many people say "pinball was historically not family friendly" and yet.... I'd be willing to bet most of those same people would say "Oh yeah, I got hooked on pinball as a kid / teen [and it was NOT on the Playboy machine]...."
    Certainly there are some racy themes out there... and may there always continue to be. But how may "adults only" arcades are there?
    By and large, the most popular games with the widest appeal are not the raciest or even riskiest. Consider the public arcades and other places where pins used to be, to attract the widest audience, to plant the seeds that resulted in probably 90% of current hobbyists: what level of behavior is generally expected in a public space? What normally gets you kicked out?
    Sure, emotions can boil over because we're only human... and as pointed out, there's been a lot of fuel of late. So it's understandable to a degree.... but just like how getting in a fight at the arcade would get you tossed, same rules should apply here. It's fine. You cool off, come back, and don't do it again.
    Here on this forum we're all presumed to be adults, and self-moderate our discussions accordingly with respectful decorum. In a thread about Playboy, Sexy Girl, T2-profanity mods, etc... maybe anything goes. A reasonable adult should know what to expect: You don't walk into a strip club to play Bugs Bunny's Birthday Ball, so you don't click on a NSFW thread to whine about morality.
    But for the most part, pinball IS a family-friendly activity when it's done "right". The rest of the site should reflect that.
    I don't think what Robin is asking is unfair, unreasonable, or even all that difficult.

Your definition of arcade is skewed by youth most likely. It's not a matter of pins having been in adults only arcades historically. Pins were in bars and pool halls and bowling alleys,. These are places where in the 30 and 40s adults were at, not children. the arcade as you seem to be defining is is a much more recent invention than pins are. Going back further to the origins of pins (bahatelle) reveals the same adult consumers.

#283 8 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Maybe it's also time for paid accounts. You sign up, you can post once every 24 hours for a week, then your limit is increased slightly, or you pay a small yearly fee and get unlimited posting.
    Trolls are very adverse to paying money.

Many people pay here already, including those who some thought of as trolls. Some are still here, some left on their own, some were kicked. Force payment and this place with wither and die.

#315 8 years ago
    Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

Okay, but let's be honest here. Pinball is no longer illegal, and even when it was illegal it wasn't as "edgy" as all that. Now it's about as edgy as cutting the tag that says "Do not remove under penalty of law" off of your sofa. Moreover, minorities probably weren't all that welcome in many pinball establisments back in the day either and we don't see anybody trying to resurrect that sentiment.
    What Robin has repeatedly said it be nicer (more welcoming to everybody) and try to keep it on topic. It's a really reasonable request, especially since it's his site.

It's still illegal in places. In other places thereI are still high tax barriers in place to keep it out (look at MGC) and why it's not in Milwaukee propper.

#317 8 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Don't try to whitewash history either. Its funny, try replacing 'rock n roll' with pinball in your post and think about your words again. Should we be looking to strip out all reference to sex, drinking, etc from music since the heyday of rock or metal was in the past as well? We shouldn't be trying to obscure that classics are actually songs about cocaine, etc.
    Anyone see the stories where top comedians are no longer playing colleges because of the over sensitivity and PC overreactions?
    Sometimes, the needle does just swing too far... both ways.

Exactly most of the places surviving now are not arcade they are barcades, not "family" places.

#405 8 years ago
    Quoted from jfesler:

For the record, you *can* complain - but just not in an open forum where it becomes a wound infected with hostility. Post it in the moderator forum. Multiple moderators will see it. The moderator that took the initial action will get peer reviewed. And, you can always PM Robin himself to escalate the issue, if you think the moderation team is wrong.
    It isn't quite as open a city council meeting, or a multi stakeholder conference, or any other such venues were most conversations are public (even the ugly ones). But it isn't a dead end; at least not until you exhaust even the Robin approach.

But no one can see the mod forum posts. It's understandable that no one can post there outside of the op and mods, but for no one to be able to see the discussions or to up/down vote the discussions leaves the mods and robin with no feedback as to the will of the people who the decisions affect.

#417 8 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

The will of the people don't matter. This isn't a democracy. It's a benevolent dictatorship.
    You don't let users dictate forum policy. That's FORUM101, if you're serious about running a real community.
    Frankly, the reality is Robin is gonna do what he thinks is right. And if you don't like it you can leave. Letting the public read and vote on moderator discussions would be toxic. I run a moderator team larger than Pinside's, and I would never, ever, want their private discussions on moderation to be public. Would be a disaster. It would be no different for Pinside to attempt it either in my view.

Ahh yes, ignore the very people you want to be in your site, great plan there. If you keep doing things your "customers" don't agree with you run out of "customers". People here bitch about lack of transparency from pin companies, there have been many complaints about the lack of transparency from the mods here. Letting people see, but not comment on, the mod forum posts will actually let people see why decisions are made. Letting people use the vote system also provides feedback that might actually make this place better. Letting people see the mod feedback would also let the mods point people to answers/reasons for their actions on future actions, rather than having to go through the whole discussion again.

#421 8 years ago
    Quoted from TimeBandit:

Yes the people wanted in the site are those that open an account purely for the purpose of posting in this thread and the Jpop thread. Anything pinball you might want to talk about?

Bothering to join this place and being here are very different things. By the way in a thread about making this a friendly place your response showed such a friendly attitude, so gosh darn welcoming.

#439 8 years ago
    Quoted from JerseyJack:

You have a lot to say for a guy who joined Pinside three days ago. Why did you feel the need to create a second name or hide who you really are to comment?

No this is my only account, as stated I finally felt like I wanted to say something. I haven't said much either.

#440 8 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I just read this and nearly pissed my pants laughing. I told my wife and she burst out laughing. A "clam" is a great word for a vagina. And here I had been stuck on "fish taco" for all these years. How archaic.
    Thanks for the morning laugh...and the fresh insight!

Back in the 90's it was often referred to as the bearded clam, but that's not so accurate anymore.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Northernhuskie2.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lets-try-and-keep-pinside-family-friendly?tu=Northernhuskie2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.