4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 523 posts
  • 161 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by The_Dude_Abides
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 9 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

the-decline-of-western-civilization.jpg
    poster50195737.jpg
    In person vs. online.jpg
    IMG_20150611_161805.jpg
    Pink.JPG
    mjpopcorn.gif
    Pinside.jpg
    1313783734-screen_shot_2011-08-19_at_12.54.08_pm.png
    lemur.jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 523 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 11.
    #351 4 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

how looney they are

I resemble that remark!

#352 4 years ago
    Quoted from Plungemaster:

Only thing i would like to ask to Robin. Is when you ignore someone, he still can downvote you, and harras you on every topic. Could you change that?
    When you ignore someone, i dont want anything to do with him/her. It is freaking annoying when you put someone on ignore, you still see his downvote every time you are just saying normal stuff.
    atm, when someone is annoying you, and you ignore him, he can still continue doing it.
    And when you make the, obvious, change, make it so, when someone downvotes a member who has him on ignore, give him a message he cant downvote.
    Let those trolls feel they are not welcome anymore.

good call +1

#353 4 years ago

Let those trolls feel they are not welcome anymore.

I can think of many, many times when you were the troll.

#354 4 years ago

Only thing i would like to ask to Robin. Is when you ignore someone, he still can downvote you, and harras you on every topic. Could you change that?

This would be a good idea IMO.

#355 4 years ago
    Quoted from TimeBandit:

C'mon McL, we are hit up with rules all the time. Laws, IRS, workplace etc. Society succeeds only because we collectively agree on boundaries across which we as a group don't cross. Some guys might not like being told to tone it down, but I bet they like pinball more, and will still hang out here.

Ok room full of women having a great time talking about women stuff. Add a man and tell them they need to make the conversation gender neutral. They need to make him feel welcome. You think they want that or do they want him to find a room full of guys to talk to?

#356 4 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

You think they want that or do they want him to find a room full of guys to talk to?

Maybe they want him to jump up on the table and do a Chippendales act.

#357 4 years ago
    Quoted from jayhawkai:

I can think of many, many times in which you were the troll.

Considering you were quoting an "ignored user comment", I can only agree.

#358 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Maybe they want him to jump up on the table and do a Chippendales act.

If his name is Channing Tatum or Matthew McConaughey, then yes. Standard run of the mill pinhead? Probably not.

#359 4 years ago
    Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

This would be a good idea IMO.

i disagree. a down vote is not harassment. it's an indication of disagreement. people need to grow a thicker skin about down votes and not act like it is harassment. furthermore, ignoring a person should not mean that person can no longer comment on that person's comments. a person posting on a public forum should not be able to opt out of getting feedback on the things they post.

#360 4 years ago

I hope everyone realizes that the boob pics were really just the tip of the iceberg. The actual iceberg is guys who casually talk about women's private parts, calling them "broads" and other conversation I wouldn't allow in a decent bar, much less in a pinball forum. If that kind of speech isn't moderated, the real problem isn't going to be solved.

#361 4 years ago
    Quoted from jarjarisgod:

If his name is Channing Tatum or Matthew McConaughey, then yes. Standard run of the mill pinhead? Probably not.

I would be ready, willing, and able. I've still got those twelve pack abs.

#362 4 years ago

I'd do away with downvotes all together... the fact that people bother going BACK to their own posts constantly to see who votes what is kind of worrisome in the first place. People like upvotes or likes... downvotes tend to only lead to trouble. Doing away with Karma was a good thing for the same reason... people start chasing the wrong things.

I look forward to the site's next attempt at 'credibility' or whatever robin is envisioning. The cool thing about pinside is it's custom nature... so the site has broken the mold from many online communities and I really look forward to the next innovation in this space

#363 4 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

calling them "broads"

Is that now verboten too? It may be an older term but I don't think it ever went out of style.

#364 4 years ago

well great... i had to look up "verboten"

#365 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Is that now verboten too? It may be an older term but I don't think it ever went out of style.

i mean ... i can't comment on whether it's allowed or not but it's certainly considered sexist by normal people.

#366 4 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I hope everyone realizes that the boob pics were really just the tip of the iceberg. The actual iceberg is guys who casually talk about women's private parts, calling them "broads" and other conversation I wouldn't allow in a decent bar, much less in a pinball forum. If that kind of speech isn't moderated, the real problem isn't going to be solved.

does that mean I can't talk poorly about men either? Are we going to ban words like 'fat', the short form of richard and those variants, bald, etc.. See where this starts to go when you try to moderate tone and vocabulary instead of actual hate or intent....

#367 4 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

it's certainly considered sexist by normal people.

I guess some of us are just abby-normal.

#368 4 years ago

When I pick up a copy of the latest issue of the pinball magazine, I want to read articles about Dennis Nordman's games and stories about how each game was developed. I don't want to see Rated R pictures of naked women and rants and personal attacks.

The same with Pinside. When I click on a topic, I don't want to waste my time scrolling past troll posts and vicious personal attacks.

Why can't we keep Pinside about pinball discussions and leave out the jiggling breasts and trolls?

I think there needs to be stronger penalties for multiple offender trolls, like lifetime bans from the site. robin can you institute stronger penalties?

#369 4 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Ok room full of women having a great time talking about women stuff. Add a man and tell them they need to make the conversation gender neutral. They need to make him feel welcome. You think they want that or do they want him to find a room full of guys to talk to?

First of all, I have no problem sitting down with a group of women and talking with them. It's not particularly difficult. Believe it or not they don't in my experience wait for the men to all leave the room and then go OMG LET'S TALK ABOUT OUR PERIODS.

It's even easier when instead of just a random group of people the women all happen to be into pinball. Seriously? I love pinball! Let's talk about it, this is rad.

I even manage to not ask them to show me their boobs. It's incredibly enlightened of me.

But beyond that, you're setting up a huge strawman, which is that this is some kind of "men's club". It's not. It's a pinball club. And anyone can join it, whether they happen to have a penis or a vagina is utterly irrelevant. We even helped a man with only one arm play pinball easier, because it's a cool community like that. Anyone can play, anyone can participate.

If there's anyone here who seriously can't handle hanging out talking pinball without also posting pictures of breasts, then maybe go start pins-n-pussy.com where the dirty old men can lear at women and talk about flipper rebuilds uninterrupted.

#370 4 years ago

It's funny, I don't really mind when someone calls me dude. <edited>

#371 4 years ago

Pinside, at this point, is the 800lb gorilla of pinball forums. RGP is dead, Tilt is focused exclusively on tournament players and has a terrible interface, and the Facebook groups leave a lot to be desired and have an equally terrible interface.

Pinball isn't classic cars, and there aren't dozens of alternative forums you can take your bat and ball to because you're having a tantrum. So all the arguments about how people are going to abandon Pinside because Robin wants you to treat each other with some goddamn dignity is crap.

So, unless you're going to start your own Pinside (with Blackjack! And Hookers!) there's really not a lot of options out there, so quit with that threat.

#372 4 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

First of all, I have no problem sitting down with a group of women and talking with them. It's not particularly difficult. Believe it or not they don't in my experience wait for the men to all leave the room and then go OMG LET'S TALK ABOUT OUR PERIODS.
    It's even easier when instead of just a random group of people the women all happen to be into pinball. Seriously? I love pinball! Let's talk about it, this is rad.
    I even manage to not ask them to show me their boobs. It's incredibly enlightened of me.
    But beyond that, you're setting up a huge strawman, which is that this is some kind of "men's club". It's not. It's a pinball club. And anyone can join it, whether they happen to have a penis or a vagina is utterly irrelevant. We even helped a man with only one arm play pinball easier, because it's a cool community like that. Anyone can play, anyone can participate.
    If there's anyone here who seriously can't handle hanging out talking pinball without also posting pictures of breasts, then maybe go start pins-n-pussy.com where the dirty old men can lear at women and talk about flipper rebuilds uninterrupted.

#373 4 years ago

blackjack? NOW we're talkin'!

#374 4 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

calling them "broads" and other conversation I wouldn't allow in a decent bar, much less in a pinball forum.

Broad is simply a shortened word for the phrase "Abroad Wife", referring to a local lover while your main squeeze is abroad. Traveling salesmen and real (non military) sailors use the term with much affection.

A show on PBS said that some people though that the term came from the fact that playing cards used to be called "broads", but they disproved that.

He'll say, "Are you married?"

We'll say, "No man, but you can do the job
    While you're in town"

-Winter Wonderland, Brenda Lee

#375 4 years ago

Someone mentioned downvoting. I think having downvotes on any website is just asking for trouble. It's not like pinball is a crucial matter, so why ask for drama? Besides, since when do people need feedback to every dang thing they say? Since when do people need to give feedback to others in a nonverbal way (er, a non-text way)? Only when websites started doing the up/downvote concept, that's when. It's done to pull in people, to get them more involved, which serves the website, yet we see the deleterious side effects, don't we? You wonder how did people cope prior to this. It's better to get rid of comment voting and make people who are involved enough in the topic to comment in a new post. If they are too lazy or indifferent to comment, all the better that we do not see their vote. Consider the IPDB ratings system, for example. Many people ignore the actual ratings as farcical and instead find value in the comments left there. And that would be the right way to do it. Ditch the voting and go with human conversation.

#376 4 years ago
    Quoted from vanilla:

Someone mentioned downvoting. I think having downvotes on any website is just asking for trouble. It's not like pinball is a crucial matter, so why ask for drama?

You need downvoting because sometimes someone makes an authoritative tech post that is completely wrong.

Without downvoting, someone might read only that far into the thread and take the posting as gospel.

#377 4 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Without downvoting, someone might read only that far into the thread and take the posting as gospel.

...and burn their house down.

#378 4 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Broad is simply a shortened word for the phrase "Abroad Wife",

I bet vid would have kicked that Ken Jennings guy's ass on Jeopardy.

#379 4 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Sure, and I get the barbecue scenario where the guys talk to the guys and the gals hang out with gals, but that is not the point. You are defining this site as a gender specific site, which it is not. You are defining it as similar to a football change room, which it is not. You are defining it as a place designed for burly guys to chest bump and be tough, which it is not. You seem to be speaking for all the men, which you most certainly are not.

#380 4 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

You need downvoting because sometimes someone makes an authoritative tech post that is completely wrong.

yeah, i also think it's useful for expressing disagreement without making an actual reply post, which is often redundant if a lot of people are disagreeing with someone, or just starts a back and forth argument.

#381 4 years ago

edit: never mind, dumb tangent.

#382 4 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

back to reality: nobody uses the term in that manner.

Someone who lives an dies 50 miles from where they were born might not, but people who travel the world for pleasure or business will certainly use the word to speak fondly of a lover.

#383 4 years ago

There will be no talk of love on pinside as my post above was edited for that.

#384 4 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Broad is simply a shortened word for the phrase "Abroad Wife", referring to a local lover while your main squeeze is abroad. Traveling salesmen and real (non military) sailors use the term with much affection.
    A show on PBS said that some people though that the term came from the fact that playing cards used to be called "broads", but they disproved that.

From http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=broad

"Earliest use of the slang word suggests immorality or coarse, low-class women. Because of this negative association, and the rise of women's athletics, the track and field broad jump was changed to the long jump c. 1967."

The more you know...

#385 4 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

From http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=broad
    "Earliest use of the slang word suggests immorality or coarse, low-class women. Because of this negative association, and the rise of women's athletics, the track and field broad jump was changed to the long jump c. 1967."
    The more you know...

You cleverly edited out the part that said: " but it also might trace to American English abroadwife"

The more you know.....

....the more you have to check the references for yourself, LOL

#386 4 years ago

This is a very entertaining thread.

I thought I would love a moderated forum until I actually came to know exactly what it means; it means someone else's ethics/rules/regulation/opinion/moral code is in charge. 3 years in I would say I only *like* it and am only moderately active.

People gravitated here because on RGP one person was able to ruin an entire forum. That was bad, no argument there. We have traded that for a ruling class of people who have free reign to squelch anything they see fit to squelch. This is not a perfect world either.

When someone criticizes Pinside they are ejected. When criticism is not tolerated you then have a totalitarian system (OK, I'm making a bit of a stretch there, I admit).

Again, I understand this is a privately run forum and Robin and the moderators are free to do what they wish. However, pushing any agenda to the forefront will be the slow death of this forum, IMHO.

Robin's 2 biggest issues seem to be the negative nellies and tits. If that's the only issues here, then IMHO there really aren't any issues. Neither of these things leave people hungry and/or homeless.

All of the above is only my opinion, but I hope that's still a big part of what this forum is supposed to be about. Personally, I never find it any more than simply entertaining to read something I disagree with on this site. It's only pinball for goodness' sake.

#387 4 years ago

I'm fine with avoiding the term "broad" for now, but can we occasionally mention dames with nice gams?

#388 4 years ago
    Quoted from jayhawkai:

I'm fine with avoiding the term "broad" for now, but can we occasionally mention dames with nice gams?

I was hoping for an official ruling on dame myself. They can be either dizzy or Judi Dench. Seems like this one could go either way.

#389 4 years ago

In person vs. online.jpg

#390 4 years ago
    Quoted from shakethatmachine:

When someone criticizes Pinside they are ejected.

For the record, you *can* complain - but just not in an open forum where it becomes a wound infected with hostility. Post it in the moderator forum. Multiple moderators will see it. The moderator that took the initial action will get peer reviewed. And, you can always PM Robin himself to escalate the issue, if you think the moderation team is wrong.

It isn't quite as open a city council meeting, or a multi stakeholder conference, or any other such venues were most conversations are public (even the ugly ones). But it isn't a dead end; at least not until you exhaust even the Robin approach.

#391 4 years ago
    Quoted from shakethatmachine:

I thought I would love a moderated forum

Love and pinside don't mix.

#392 4 years ago
    Quoted from Craig:

In person vs. online.jpg

Funniest thing in this whole thread

#393 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Love and pinside don't mix.

As Trent Reznor once said, love is not enough.

#394 4 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

You cleverly edited out the part that said: " but it also might trace to American English abroadwife"
    The more you know.....
    ....the more you have to check the references for yourself, LOL

Right, and you cleverly edited out the more important point in my post. But this is really your Pinside, Vid...right? You go ahead and call women "broads", and I'll find somewhere I don't have to get my pinball advice from someone who lives in 1957.

#395 4 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

does that mean I can't talk poorly about men either? Are we going to ban words like 'fat', the short form of richard and those variants, bald, etc.. See where this starts to go when you try to moderate tone and vocabulary instead of actual hate or intent....

Dude just stop. You've been sooooooo annoying recently. Hijacking every thread. Making your point 10x over. Robin is asking us to be nice and you can't get over yourself for one thread. Just stop!

#396 4 years ago

My number of posts has gone way down lately, and it's largely because things have kind of escalated quickly (thank you Ron Burgundy). I see arguments on both sides here, but to me, I'm a member of two other heavily male dominated forums, the avsforum, and the corvette forum. You look there and then you look here, and it's pretty obvious the difference...all the members there treat each other with respect. If they don't, they're gone. Post unrelated pics and crap? Gone. If you don't eliminate the bad members, you WILL chase away the good ones.

Treat others how you would like to be treated. Have discussions but don't berate people. Respect other people's opinions. I can see both sides of the argument, and nothing really offends me for the most part. However, I do realize at the same time that kids, women, etc are reading this forum and to be respectful to them and others that changes need to be made. It's just the right thing to do. RGP went strong for 20+ years without photos and not nearly the amount of disrespect that goes on here, so I think we'll be fine if the hammer comes down and brings it back down a couple notches.

#397 4 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Right, and you cleverly edited out the more important point in my post.

I quoted your entire post. What are you babbling on about?

Quoted from swampfire:

I'll find somewhere I don't have to get my pinball advice from someone who lives in 1957.

I was very much alive in 1957.

Here is another term for you to study:

Ageism (also spelled "agism") is stereotyping and discriminating against individuals or groups on the basis of their age.

#398 4 years ago

Difference is Chevy doesn't take $70,000 and not deliver a car. Imagine those forums if people got screwed over.

#399 4 years ago

I'm glad I live in a country where women actually have the luxury of being offended by the term *broad*. Makes me believe this country has no real problems.

I'm not saying the word is nice, but offensive? I guess it's all in the ear of the receiver. But for said receiver to have the luxury to even pause and ponder the merits of the word tells me their life is pretty painless. I hear songs on the radio that have much worse words for, and ideas about, women. I'm not saying that makes it right, I'm just saying censoring *broad* is an odd place to start when deciding to clean up the world's moral code of conduct.

Now play pinball (that's a luxury too).

#400 4 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I quoted your entire post. What are you babbling on about?

No Vid, you didn't quote my entire post. Let's cut to the chase...these posts are not very friendly to women:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/suicide-girls-pinball-machine/page/2#post-2524725
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/suicide-girls-pinball-machine/page/2#post-2526320

Suicide Girls pin - great, I'm all for it. But you can talk about a SG machine without being misogynistic or gross.

Sorry to call you out specifically, but this is what I'm talking about. Women aren't offended by tit pics. Women are annoyed by guys who still talk like they're in 7th grade.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    £ 49.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 119.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 13.00
    Playfields
    Lermods
    $ 218.00
    $ 69.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 10.00
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 49.95
    Playfield - Plastics
    MicksPinball
    $ 44.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    Pinball Machine
    Music City Pinball
    $ 156.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 25.00
    Apparel - Unisex
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 5,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Ghostbusters Pro Out of stock
    Operation Pinball
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    There are 523 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 11.

This topic is closed.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside