4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 523 posts
  • 161 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by The_Dude_Abides
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 9 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

the-decline-of-western-civilization.jpg
    poster50195737.jpg
    In person vs. online.jpg
    IMG_20150611_161805.jpg
    Pink.JPG
    mjpopcorn.gif
    Pinside.jpg
    1313783734-screen_shot_2011-08-19_at_12.54.08_pm.png
    lemur.jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 523 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 11.
    #301 4 years ago

Clean up pinside - make it more family friendly? sure! Totally get the semi NSFW posts from time to time as unnecessary for a pinball site. There is The Chive for those types of things...

But to say that anyone in that post or any other post has been anti-woman is complete BS.

Clearly the guys here enjoy the female form - hence the pictures.

The guys like to TRY to include their spouses in the hobby - hence the request for ideas to include them postings.

The list goes on and on and on about how as guy we try and include women in the hobby.

We have a wonderful female moderator - who we all love and appreciate.

To put the entire forum on blast making it out like all guys are bad - is stupid and childish. Pinside is a small slice or society - good and bad people - kind and rude people. Do you need to have someone moderate your life if you are offended by what someone says?

Sure there are trolls here and everywhere else on the Internet. That is life. Deal with it.

Just because something offends YOU does not make it the world's problem. I had planned on stopping by '82 during my next trip to LA, but after reading the temper tantrum by the proprietor in a thread here on Pinside and later on her Facebook page, I will spend my time and money elsewhere.

#302 4 years ago

I'm reminded of the final scene of "Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back" where Kevin Smith takes his revenge on internet trash talkers through his movie. This movie is fifteen years old. Just goes to show you things don't change much, and maybe when you get to a certain size it is really difficult to manage.

#303 4 years ago

People keep talking about related discussion on Facebook -- any chance of posting a link to that for the curious? I'd be interested to see how the "non-Pinside world" views this issue.

#304 4 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

I think you're missing the point.

No, I see what your point is; you're putting out a call to reduce negativity, and I agree. But let me clarify my point too: you have put MANY tools in place that weren't on Pinside before, from the downvote system, the tilt/hide system, the drain topic option, to the ignore user option. These are all tools people can use to shield themselves from this negativity that you are calling to reduce, which let me emphasize again that I agree with. What I was chuckling at and what I find absurd and ridiculous is the thought that anyone is going to find a public forum on the internet on ANY topic that is devoid of trolling or negativity, and that an open forum, even a well moderated forum like Pinside-- but an open forum of any kind is not a place for the easily offended. Especially in threads where people have lost thousands if not tens of thousands there's gonna be some pissy attitudes. The Pinball/boobs connection will no doubt be debated until the end of history anyway.

#305 4 years ago

I'm not sure why this request is so difficult. So Robin (the owner if this site) has asked us to clean it up a bit. Well...... ...OK

#306 4 years ago
    Quoted from goingincirclez:

Interesting that so many people say "pinball was historically not family friendly" and yet.... I'd be willing to bet most of those same people would say "Oh yeah, I got hooked on pinball as a kid / teen [and it was NOT on the Playboy machine]...."
    Certainly there are some racy themes out there... and may there always continue to be. But how may "adults only" arcades are there?

Are you familiar with the history of the pinball parlor and other places games were found in? The game of pinball has been associated with 'rebels' and edgy for decades because the game was considered taboo by many, was associated with bars, pool halls, and many other places 'undesirables' hung out at. The game is rooted in the male dominated, testosterone fueled worlds of bars, arcades, pool halls, etc. These were not chuck-e-cheese or Tilt in the mall.

Games were in other places too... but their home base or core were in these kinds of places "respectful" women didn't hang out in and your mom wouldn't want you!

Don't think of the arcades of the 90s as representative of the world of the 50s, 60s, 70s, etc.

The history, and core audience of the game has been males. That's not to say females couldn't or didn't like the game... but game themes were set based on what would sell... not as statements of belief, preaching, or whatever.

#307 4 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Are you familiar with the history of the pinball parlor and other places games were found in? The game of pinball has been associated with 'rebels' and edgy for decades because the game was considered taboo by many, was associated with bars, pool halls, and many other places 'undesirables' hung out at. The game is rooted in the male dominated, testosterone fueled worlds of bars, arcades, pool halls, etc. These were not chuck-e-cheese or Tilt in the mall.
    Games were in other places too... but their home base or core were in these kinds of places "respectful" women didn't hang out in and your mom wouldn't want you!
    Don't think of the arcades of the 90s as representative of the world of the 50s, 60s, 70s, etc.
    The history, and core audience of the game has been males. That's not to say females couldn't or didn't like the game... but game themes were set based on what would sell... not as statements of belief, preaching, or whatever.

True.

Which is why I was saying that the appeal to "history" in order to justify continuing the misogyny is ugly.

#308 4 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

True.
    Which is why I was saying that the appeal to "history" in order to justify continuing the misogyny is ugly.

That is a tough topic as a whole because it basically boils down to trying to 'clean up' a demographic to adhere to some other new, or external standard. If you want to buy into that, or believe its necessary, etc is a whole philosophical discussion that pretty much gets as ugly as any religion or 'PC' fights And just because some people find something offensive, or don't like content, it doesn't make it misogyny. That's just another escalation people try to use to justify their position.

Car forums go through similar struggles... Muscle, Sports Cars, etc have long been associated with stroking testosterone including gratuitous female modeling, skimpy outfits, etc. The calendars, the magazines, etc have long been part of "car culture".

People can chose to ignore it, try to create spaces without it, but you can't rewrite history. But you don't have to keep living it either.. that's up to the people involved. Where things get ugly is when someone tries to paint the other as bad, evil, whatever because their thoughts don't align. Then it all goes downhill

My .02c on boobs is they are contagious.. and when it becomes the only reason posts are happening or views are coming... then obviously the derail is on full effect. And it does get distracting when it spawns all over the site. Other sites try to 'contain' the problem by having dedicated threads for the model shots, etc and funnel all the 'filthy' to a well defined bucket. It becomes more like a sandbox that still needs to be moderated.

It's much easier to draw a line that says... don't use sex on the forum out of context. Which means don't use sex to grab eyeballs, goof off, shock photos, etc. Just keep the content on topic. "boob bumps" and other things like that clearly fall below the line with simple guidance like that.

#309 4 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Okay, but let's be honest here. Pinball is no longer illegal, and even when it was illegal it wasn't as "edgy" as all that. Now it's about as edgy as cutting the tag that says "Do not remove under penalty of law" off of your sofa. Moreover, minorities probably weren't all that welcome in many pinball establisments back in the day either and we don't see anybody trying to resurrect that sentiment.

What Robin has repeatedly said it be nicer (more welcoming to everybody) and try to keep it on topic. It's a really reasonable request, especially since it's his site.

#310 4 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Are you familiar with the history of the pinball parlor and other places games were found in? The game of pinball has been associated with 'rebels' and edgy for decades because the game was considered taboo by many, was associated with bars, pool halls, and many other places 'undesirables' hung out at. The game is rooted in the male dominated, testosterone fueled worlds of bars, arcades, pool halls, etc.

Long before my time, I'll admit... but I'm familiar with those tales of history and legend.

Still, many Pinsiders fondly recall and lament the passing of the big-time arcades' heydey. And when did that begin? The 70's... surviving a blip-crash in the early 80's, and lasting well into the 90's.

That's a full quarter century where pinball evolved not just technologically, but through venturing from the dark caves of the seedy underworld, into the bright caustic light of the general public space. And most all of the games on the Top 100 are borne of this era.

Subtract a quarter-century from the ages of many people here, and most of the incoming newbies, and what you'll find is a group who came of age being exposed to these games.

Add in the years from 2000 onward, and pinball hasn't been an exclusive diversion of the good ol' boys club for over half of its existence since flippers were added.

"History" is something to be learned and acknowledged, but rarely a valid excuse...

#311 4 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Keep bringing up the seedy past of pinball and emulate that and that's where it will be - dead, like the past. Move on....

#312 4 years ago
    Quoted from JerseyJack:

Keep bringing up the seedy past of pinball and emulate that and that's where it will be - dead, like the past. Move on....

Yet every place I find games to play.. like yours... are in BARS. BARS where people curse... where people smoke... the staff dress sexy to get more tips... flirt to get more tips... and non-PC things were often on the walls. This isn't the PAST.. or some history the country is trying to whitewash... this is where people go out to socialize and be entertained... even to this day.

Pinball is thriving in these adult venues... not down at the Vacation Bible Study.

#313 4 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

It would also help at shows, so you're not calling some 40-year-old adult "Beezleboob".

But that's my name.

#314 4 years ago
    Quoted from goingincirclez:

Long before my time, I'll admit... but I'm familiar with those tales of history and legend.
    Still, many Pinsiders fondly recall and lament the passing of the big-time arcades' heydey. And when did that begin? The 70's... surviving a blip-crash in the early 80's, and lasting well into the 90's.
    That's a full quarter century where pinball evolved not just technologically, but through venturing from the dark caves of the seedy underworld, into the bright caustic light of the general public space. And most all of the games on the Top 100 are borne of this era.
    Subtract a quarter-century from the ages of many people here, and most of the incoming newbies, and what you'll find is a group who came of age being exposed to these games.
    Add in the years from 2000 onward, and pinball hasn't been an exclusive diversion of the good ol' boys club for over half of its existence since flippers were added.
    "History" is something to be learned and acknowledged, but rarely a valid excuse...

Don't try to whitewash history either. Its funny, try replacing 'rock n roll' with pinball in your post and think about your words again. Should we be looking to strip out all reference to sex, drinking, etc from music since the heyday of rock or metal was in the past as well? We shouldn't be trying to obscure that classics are actually songs about cocaine, etc.

Anyone see the stories where top comedians are no longer playing colleges because of the over sensitivity and PC overreactions?

Sometimes, the needle does just swing too far... both ways.

#315 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

Okay, but let's be honest here. Pinball is no longer illegal, and even when it was illegal it wasn't as "edgy" as all that. Now it's about as edgy as cutting the tag that says "Do not remove under penalty of law" off of your sofa. Moreover, minorities probably weren't all that welcome in many pinball establisments back in the day either and we don't see anybody trying to resurrect that sentiment.
    What Robin has repeatedly said it be nicer (more welcoming to everybody) and try to keep it on topic. It's a really reasonable request, especially since it's his site.

It's still illegal in places. In other places thereI are still high tax barriers in place to keep it out (look at MGC) and why it's not in Milwaukee propper.

#316 4 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Yet every place I find games to play.. like yours... are in BARS. BARS where people curse... where people smoke... the staff dress sexy to get more tips... flirt to get more tips... and non-PC things were often on the walls. This isn't the PAST.. or some history the country is trying to whitewash... this is where people go out to socialize and be entertained... even to this day.

Bars and cursing are part of our culture. That's not going away. Hoping that biker gangs and criminals in seedy places find pinball machines and that's the image we want....no....although if they put money in...well we will take that too.....Pinball is what it is and will be what we all make it be. History is what it is. For example, there were flags the once flew in different parts of the world and they were acceptable, today they are not.

The point is to be nicer to each other. To respect each other's opinions even when we don't agree. We all agree we love Pinball (I think we all agree to that?) To not get the last word all the time and to STFU once in a while and go outside and look at the sun, your wife, husband, significant other, dog, cat, ferret, boyfriend, girlfriend, kids, all of the aforementioned and more unmentioned.

If you don't have a life, get one. All due respect to Robin, life is not just Pinside!

#317 4 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Don't try to whitewash history either. Its funny, try replacing 'rock n roll' with pinball in your post and think about your words again. Should we be looking to strip out all reference to sex, drinking, etc from music since the heyday of rock or metal was in the past as well? We shouldn't be trying to obscure that classics are actually songs about cocaine, etc.
    Anyone see the stories where top comedians are no longer playing colleges because of the over sensitivity and PC overreactions?
    Sometimes, the needle does just swing too far... both ways.

Exactly most of the places surviving now are not arcade they are barcades, not "family" places.

#318 4 years ago
    Quoted from Northernhuskie2:

Exactly most of the places surviving now are not arcade they are barcades, not "family" places.

So when you're in a barcade playing pinball, act like you're in a barcade. When you're at a children's restaurant arcade playing pinball, act like you're at a children's restaurant arcade, not a barcade. When you're on Pinside, act like you're on Pinside, not a barcade.

#319 4 years ago

I think excessive posting by a few people is part of the problem. Part of making a forum more friendly is giving other people room to talk. When someone comes in with 20 posts in an hour (all arguing the same point), that thread becomes a really annoying place to be. The signal-to-noise ratio matters.

#320 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheZohan:

No, I see what your point is; your putting out a call to reduce negativity, and I agree. But let me clarify my point too: you have put MANY tools in place that weren't on Pinside before, from the downvote system, the tilt/hide system, the drain topic option, to the ignore user option. These are all tools people can use to shield themselves from this negativity that you are calling to reduce, which let me emphasize again that I agree with.

I'd just like to point out that the tools you mention, while certainly useful, only work for members logged into the site. A non-member browsing the site after doing a search for a pinball topic will still see the troll posts and personal attacks. This is likely to be someone's first exposure to the site and will probably reduce the chance of that person investigating further, creating an account, and discovering those tools that make the site more pleasant.

#321 4 years ago
    Quoted from JerseyJack:

Bars and cursing are part of our culture. That's not going away. Hoping that biker gangs and criminals in seedy places find pinball machines and that's the image we want....no....although if they put money in...well we will take that too.....Pinball is what it is and will be what we all make it be. History is what it is. For example, there were flags the once flew in different parts of the world and they were acceptable, today they are not.
    The point is to be nicer to each other. To respect each other's opinions even when we don't agree. We all agree we love Pinball (I think we all agree to that?) To not get the last word all the time and to STFU once in a while and go outside and look at the sun, your wife, husband, significant other, dog, cat, ferret, boyfriend, girlfriend, kids, all of the aforementioned and more unmentioned.
    If you don't have a life, get one. All due respect to Robin, life is not just Pinside!

I do believe an "OH SNAP!" is in order. Court adjourned.

Btw Jersey, if that is indeed your real name, my kids don't know me cuz of work, not Pinside!

#322 4 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I think excessive posting by a few people is part of the problem. Part of making a forum more friendly is giving other people room to talk. When someone comes in with 20 posts in an hour (all arguing the same point), that thread becomes a really annoying place to be. The signal-to-noise ratio matters.

Shaddup.

#323 4 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

BARS ... where people smoke...

I thought even Virginia (!?!) banned smoking in bars five years ago.

Quoted from Northernhuskie2:

The "barcades" in Denver aren't particularly "family unfriendly" at any rate -- if your kid is old enough to meaningfully play pinball, the sight of a few hipsters drinking Genesee and a little Wilco on the jukebox probably won't scar him/her for life. I'll be taking my boys in to the 1UP on weekend afternoons to play pinball (and enjoy a pint myself, of course) as soon as they're old enough to reach the flippers!

#324 4 years ago
    Quoted from JerseyJack:

Testify brother jack!

#325 4 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

I thought even Virginia (!?!) banned smoking in bars five years ago.

The "barcades" in Denver aren't particularly "family unfriendly" at any rate -- if your kid is old enough to meaningfully play pinball, the sight of a few hipsters drinking Genesee and a little Wilco on the jukebox probably won't scar him/her for life. I'll be taking my boys in to the 1UP on weekend afternoons to play pinball (and enjoy a pint myself, of course) as soon as they're old enough to reach the flippers!

Bars can have separate smoking and non smoking portions

#326 4 years ago

I think this whole thing could be summed up with "Don't be a jerk."

It's pretty simple. If you disagree, RGP is moderator-free, and as RGP's former biggest jackhole, I can highly recommend it for unfettered dickbaggery.

But, if you'd like to talk about pinball with the largest collection of enthusiasts and industry people online, Pinside is pretty good. Better than RGP ever was. Not being a jerk seems like a small price to pay.

#327 4 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Bars can have separate smoking and non smoking portions

Depends on the state/city they are in. Not true in Minnesota.

LTG : )™

#328 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Depends on the state/city they are in. Not true in Minnesota.
    LTG : )™

Of course - but the post was in response to a question about Virginia

#329 4 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

and as RGP's former biggest jackhole

I wonder how many accounts the true biggest Jackhole from RGP has here and wonder if he is making inroads.

#330 4 years ago

I would prefer my home arcade to resemble the seedy places of the past as there is much more character and history in a place like that than some of the homogenized Ikea homes I have been too.

#331 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I would prefer my home arcade to resemble the seedy places of the past as there is much more character and history in a place like that than some of the homogenized Ikea homes I have been too.

Things have really gotten sanitized around here. Even your avatar is gone!

#332 4 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

I agree with thedefog. Making real names mandatory is not realistic.
    Maybe an alternative: we could offer the *ability* to become a verified Pinsider. That is, get your ID/credentials checked via a third party ID checker service and then getting a "verified" icon next to your Pinside user name. The icon indicates that your credentials are known to Pinside without the need to actually post your name on the site anywhere (well, unless you want to). Just thinking out loud here.

Interesting approach... But I'm not sure too many would agree with it
    But maybe limiting posting ability per user per thread per time unit would be an idea for the new account trolls?

O-din says he'll do all the verifications of the 26,000 registered users, but he has to get his avatar back first

#333 4 years ago

Sure would be nice to be able to participate in this forum without the seedy behavior. I find the treatment of women in the industry disappointing. And I don't think having NSFW is the answer- the answer is focusing on pinball and not on degrading women through our commentary.

#334 4 years ago
    Quoted from JerseyJack:

The point is to be nicer to each other. To respect each other's opinions even when we don't agree.

Either someone took over Jack's account or we just entered Bizarro Land.

#335 4 years ago
    Quoted from labnip:

O-din says he'll do all the verifications of the 26,000 registered users

Most of my friends call me Odin now, so maybe it is time to drop the hyphen.

#336 4 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Hey beelzeboob, just how many hot dogs did you eat at this party anyway?

Zero. That's why I was confused. The guy I was talking to was telling me how great the hot dogs were, but I never had one.

#337 4 years ago

What is the demographic breakdown for active users on this site? I'll be shocked if it isn't at least 99% male. If you really want to monetize the site, do you cater to the 99% or piss on them to grow the 1%? I say figure out a way to grow the 1% while keeping the other 99% happy. Take a room full of guys shooting the shi*, bustin balls, and and talking about guy stuff like pinball. Tell them they need to tone it down, be nice, and make their conversations family friendly. Do you think the majority are going to view that positively or negatively? You can hope for the former all you want, but you can expect the latter from most.

The real source of negativity that needs to be addressed is the Jpop/Skit-B crap. I'm a member of car forums, investing forums, deal forums, fix-it forums, and a couple other pinball forums. This is the only forum I'm aware of where numerous members were screwed out of thousands of dollars by other members. That's a problem to address. Read it out loud to yourself. Forum members were screwed out of thousands of dollars by other forum members. I bet those 2 clowns can still post on the forum like nothing happened if they chose to. You want to piss people off and make them say nasty things they probably otherwise wouldn't? Take their thousands and don't give them what they expect in return. Drag it out for a couple years with lame ass excuses for good measure. Threats of violence are never acceptable, but those 2 situations have left a lot of people saying WTF? Pinside's handling of those situations? I'll stop now...... Flame suit on.......

#338 4 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

What is the demographic breakdown for active users on this site?

The demographic breakdown looks like this to me. There are those that grew up playing pinball and those that didn't. There lies some of the biggest differences of opinions on this site IMO.

#339 4 years ago

Do we have confirmation that even a single hot dog was consumed at NJGecko's party?

#340 4 years ago

?? Hardly think that's what's going on.
    Seems a lot of the tough guys who wanna "shoot sh1t" and "bust balls" aren't tough enough to even be able to handle being asked to tone it down a bit.

#341 4 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

I bet those 2 clowns can still post on the forum like nothing happened if they chose to.

And that's a good thing.

If someday their attorneys allow them to talk, you probably want to hear what's on the other side of a black hole.

#342 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Most of my friends call me Odin now, so maybe it is time to drop the hyphen.

I was trying to stay proper in the all new & improved pinside culture . Hehehe...

There's an interesting idea... Just noodling here... Maybe we should all be required to reference each other with formal titles in front of someone's username when addressing someone, or get an eject

For example:
    Mr. Jpop is incompetent and in the end stole lots of good folks' money.
    Instead of writing:
    Jpop is incompetent and in the end stole lots of good folks' money.

This newly required formal title "Mr." (Ms., Mrs., Dr.) could help reflect respect for one another, and as a result make it a more respectful family friendly environment. But, what title do we use for gender-unknown usernames (like mine ) or even all the transgender people on pinside? Maybe... use "Pin." or "Citizen" for mystery cases or everyone?
    Then, the new policy would show an example like:
    Pin. Skit-B is incompetent and has refused to refund good folks' money.
    -or-
    Citizen Skit-B is incompetent and has refused to refund good folks' money.

Other ideas:
    1. Completely remove the ability to upload anything. Remove all images.
    2. Only allow threads about pinball maintenance, repairs & highly structured instructions on how to play.
    3. New threads should not be created until a new pinball machine is created, so that maintenance, repairs & highly structured instructions can be written in text only. All threads are pre-structured by manufacturer & specific pinball machine.
    4. A Citizen's gender is irrelevant & in no way should ever be typed about. Disclosure of gender & any gender related typing is an immediate thread eject. Any text typed about gender is 100% off limits, like cults, race & politics. Further reinforcement to only use the term Citizen as the formal title prior to typing anyone's username.
    5. Remove Polls & Voting. This eliminates: arguments about interpretation of results, arguments about how poll questions are written or missing options, eliminates use of opinions that we know vary across the spectrum of Citizens here, posting of links to poll-based topics on other threads which we know greatly infuriate some Citizen Moderator & Citizens.
    6. Seriously evaluate the ellimination of typed words that describe any form of emotion. Emotions are interpreted differently by different Citizens, and often Citizens have a wide ranging variety of (and often inconsistent) emotions on the same topic, which only instigates negativity. Since words describing emotion are not fact based and in the end are only opinions, they too have no place in the well structured threads about maintenance, repairs & highly structured instructions on how to play pinball. Look at the countless examples of threads & posts using terms like (love, hate, fun, boring, redundant, enjoy, dislike, indifferent, ugly, attractive, average, ...). These are seeds of public volatility sitting, germinating and waiting to cause further typed Citizen negativity.
    7. Not show a Citizen's post of down-votes or up-votes made by people they have on Ignore.
    8. Reflect on the mirror universe philosophy of the newly themed Rob Zombie pin... Less human than human.

But I digress

#343 4 years ago
    Quoted from TimeBandit:

?? Hardly think that's what's going on.

It's not a term I use frequently, but my point is tell a group of guys what they can't do, they don't like it.

#344 4 years ago

I will be glad to stop posting pics of women, but at the same time I would like to stop reading posts about women or wives that are not interested in this hobby or are in control of their men's decision making or behavior.

#345 4 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

And that's a good thing.
    If someday their attorneys allow them to talk, you probably want to hear what's on the other side of a black hole.

I think I've seen enough responses from the horses mouth to know it will just be more BS. You don't think so huh? They are finally gonna see the light and tell the truth?

#346 4 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

I think I've seen enough responses from the horses mouth to know it will just be more BS. You don't think so huh? They are finally gonna see the light and tell the truth?

I don't think it will be a huge reveal, but a fun retelling "Nov 2013, that's when I first got that feeling that I might be over my head...." would be interesting.

Or maybe even an apology at some point. Let them cleanse their darkened souls.

#347 4 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

It's not a term I use frequently, but my point is tell a group of guys what they can't do, they don't like it.

C'mon McL, we are hit up with rules all the time. Laws, IRS, workplace etc. Society succeeds only because we collectively agree on boundaries across which we as a group don't cross. Some guys might not like being told to tone it down, but I bet they like pinball more, and will still hang out here.

#348 4 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

And that's a good thing.

A bookshelf....didn't you watch Interstellar...???!!!................Joey

#349 4 years ago

Only thing i would like to ask to Robin. Is when you ignore someone, he still can downvote you, and harras you on every topic. Could you change that?

When you ignore someone, i dont want anything to do with him/her. It is freaking annoying when you put someone on ignore, you still see his downvote every time you are just saying normal stuff.

atm, when someone is annoying you, and you ignore him, he can still continue doing it.

And when you make the, obvious, change, make it so, when someone downvotes a member who has him on ignore, give him a message he cant downvote.

Let those trolls feel they are not welcome anymore.

#350 4 years ago

I'm actually more worried about robin's comments about making this a full time gig. What you do with a 'product' tends to have a heck of a lot more constraints than what you do with a 'hobby'. I wonder where that will go..

I've watched huge strong sites basically kill themselves when they tried to protect every snowflake by trying to enforce everyone to be polite. The reality is many people will take offense at the slightest.. even someone simply disagreeing with them no matter how looney they are and they start moaning about being attacked. Then you go into this death spiral where legit discussion or debate can't happen without the snowflakes playing martyr. You end up in this state where anything but positive or happy posts become viewed as 'attacks'.. and you end up with this echo chamber of just BS.

You have to focus on common sense and use level headed people that can cut through what maybe 'news you don't want to hear' vs trolling vs personal attacks. You should be strict when people start posting about people instead of the topic - but please do not aspire to be a safe harbor. The reality is the world is full of stupid people and we shouldn't be bent to accommodate them.

A common sense adult audience - we can do it in person, its not that hard to do it online when you let decent human beings make the calls and not some formula.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 40.00
    Lighting - Backbox
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 159.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Pinball Pimp
    $ 219.99
    $ 495.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 6,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 269.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 35.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 67.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 114.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Apparel - Unisex
    ArcadeMade
    $ 66.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 28.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Playfield - Protection
    Bright Lights Pinball
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 199.99
    $ 23.25
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    The MOD Couple
    There are 523 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 11.

This topic is closed.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside