(Topic ID: 131206)

Let's try and keep Pinside friendly!

By robin

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

the-decline-of-western-civilization.jpg
    poster50195737.jpg
    In person vs. online.jpg
    IMG_20150611_161805.jpg
    Pink.JPG
    mjpopcorn.gif
    Pinside.jpg
    1313783734-screen_shot_2011-08-19_at_12.54.08_pm.png
    lemur.jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 523 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 11.
    #101 8 years ago

Where do the whiners, the paper hangers and the newly minted know alls fit in? What about the disgruntled? The CARPGBers? What about those that haven't ever even heard of CARPGB?

Don't put me in a box, man.

#102 8 years ago

[Edit to add new boxes. Thanks for the feedback Gambit! ]

#103 8 years ago
    Quoted from MotorCityMatt:

Do any of you guys actually work, some of you are on here all day long. I am surprised there is no carpal tunnel threads yet.

Don't work for a corporation; let a corporation work for you.

#104 8 years ago

So... No beachvolley girls anymore? Still cant understand that on a Dutch site.

I do agree the hostilty towards other members and well known people in pinball has to go away.

#105 8 years ago

Mods: I think this thread has run its course. Please consider closing it.

#106 8 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

How classic would that be...a mod closing one of Robin's threads. That would be like a priest talking smack about God.

#107 8 years ago

Pinside.jpgPinside.jpg

'nuff said.

Brad

#108 8 years ago

We almost got away with it if it hadn't been for those meddling kids in the arcade.......

#109 8 years ago

Pinside is now Manson family friendly.

#110 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Pinside is now Manson family friendly.

Squeaky called, she wants her cigar chewing avatar back up.

LTG : )™

#111 8 years ago
    Quoted from jfesler:

This last category is the one I have the most problem with; they create the most negativity here. Not just transiently but consistently and pervasively. I wish I had an answer on how to address it that didn't penalize potential new members, who found us with a web search for help on their new-to-them machine.

It would help if people ignored them. They get off on attention, and people keep taking the bait. It's 2015, learn to stop feeding the trolls guys.

#112 8 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

It would help if people ignored them. They get off on attention, and people keep taking the bait. It's 2015, learn to stop feeding the trolls guys.

Hey, man! You can't tell me what to do! Troll.

#113 8 years ago

Robin, I agree with and will support your decisions, as I have always done.

#114 8 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Quoted from beelzeboob:

How classic would that be...a mod closing one of Robin's threads. That would be like a priest talking smack about God.

Unless MrBally is Robin's alter ego...who are you to even suggest a mod closes Robin's thread? If you ask me...this is what's really wrong with Pinside...this attitude that a lot of people seem to have, that somehow, what they have to say should be the law or what they say is somehow more important than what someone else has to say...

#115 8 years ago

I'm just gonna keep on writing reviews... It's so much easier to express an opinion than it is to deal with salty conversation.

In the meantime...

1) Thank you Robin and your team for this awesome pinball resource.
    2) Feel free to block me anytime. Please. It's so much easier that way.
    3) Keep it light! I'm on this end doin' this:
    mjpopcorn.gifmjpopcorn.gif

#116 8 years ago
    Quoted from ZippyThePinhead:

Unless MrBally is Robin's alter ego...who are you to even suggest a mod closes Robin's thread? If you ask me...this is what's really wrong with Pinside...this attitude that a lot of people seem to have, that somehow, what they have to say should be the law or what they say is somehow more important than what someone else has to say...

That was kind of my point. I forgot the sarcasm sign.

#117 8 years ago

This is your ship Robin, I'm just one of the seamen on it. So your rules.

Not a lot bothers or offends me. Life's too short for that. I was raised by two sailors and was military and now law enforcement. These threads and fights are tame by our standards. I figured OT threads weren't held to similar rules other pinball threads were. Ah well. Still a great site.

Stay classy Pinside!

#118 8 years ago
    Quoted from Grinder901:

I'm just one of the seamen on it.

I'm just a member.

#119 8 years ago

We love this sight Robin and we support your decision! Thank you for everything you do!

#120 8 years ago
    Quoted from Grinder901:

This is your ship Robin, I'm just one of the seamen on it.

Hey, man...this is a family site. There will be no talk of seamen here.

#122 8 years ago

Maybe tighten the leash further and do away with the OT threads all together? Why even have those if this is just for and only for pinball?

#123 8 years ago

I went through this a number of years ago and I can say Robin is 100% right. I had a car forum that started with a few of us and grew to a couple hundred. We were like good friends who could say pretty much anything. As it grew, more opinions entered the fray, people started getting more easily offended, and some others started using it as their personal soapbox. In 2006 it hit 1000000 page views a month really started getting nasty. I'd ban the worst people, lock topics, make announcements, but I always waited too long. By the time I'd take action people were already upset, so they started leaving. I wasn't stern enough to control situations before they got out of hand. Eventually I had enough and sold it for pennies. Now it's just a shadow, no traffic, full of banner ads. The forums that thrive take control early and stick to the rules no matter who doesn't like it. And likewise, the members worth having understand that managing a large group of people requires rules and it's nothing personal. I'm here for pinball stuff, I can go to a local pub if I want to argue with people.

#124 8 years ago

I whole heartedly support Robin's post. I used to be one of the most ill-behaved individuals on here. It's hard NOT TO get sucked into the drama with forums. But it just got so old. And I really learned my lesson and then some. I think a lot of us let some really nasty situations get the best of us. The first half of this year was especially toxic with the collapse of Skit B and JPOP. You had people who lost money being made fun of, you had people who didn't lose money saying "I told you so..." Lot's of bullying ensued. You know what helped me realize what a jackass I was being? I was banned. Banned many times. Banning someone from a thread is like taking the candy away from the child. It works. What I don't get is why we let some of the threads get so damn mean and personal. Like that night Iceman went off on everyone. Why was that allowed? Not saying Ice is a bad guy, just saying that thread brought him to a melting point.

I'd love to make this sit more friendly and it really is up to each of us to make it happen. That being said, am I allowed to post a picture of my female friend playing pinball if she's sexy?

#125 8 years ago

I would like it to be known at this juncture that I KNOW I'm a d-bag and an @$$hole. And anybody who wants to call me that (especially Bryan Kelly & McCune) won't be offending me in the least. I almost never get offended, so bring it on. (But if the mods ban you for busting my balls, that ain't my problem!)

We all gotta look in the mirror, man.

#126 8 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

a member with no Avatar.

Is like a dog with no cigar...

#127 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Is like a dog with no cigar...

But as long as your dog has a member...

#128 8 years ago

Is sending a request to a moderator the only way to have my account deactivated? I can't find a request button on the site.

#129 8 years ago
    Quoted from starfighter:

Is sending a request to a moderator the only way to have my account deactivated? I can't find a request button on the site.

You could just stop visiting. Or did you need the self immolation spectacle?

#130 8 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

You could just stop visiting. Or did you need the self immolation spectacle?

just looking for an answer

#131 8 years ago
    Quoted from starfighter:

just looking for an answer

There is a third option. You could always go off the rails and get yourself booted.

#132 8 years ago

There is a boob in beezleboob's name. I don't think that's appropriate under the new forum guidelines.

Even though it was a joke, I don't see why this thread can't be locked. Sure all the posts after Robin's are fun for killing time, but they're just commentary and sidebar. Mine included. It's his forum and he's telling us how it's gonna run. We're free to obey his wishes or leave.

Thanks for providing us a place to talk pinball (sometimes), Robin.

#133 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

There is a third option. You could always go off the rails and get yourself booted.

Ha! After 4 years here that would be a hoot.

#134 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Death-by-mod

#135 8 years ago
    Quoted from ZippyThePinhead:

Unless MrBally is Robin's alter ego...who are you to even suggest a mod closes Robin's thread?

As far as who I am; I'm a pinside member.

The suggestion to close the thread is exactly what others suggest time and time again to threads they did not start. Usually with threads they don't agree with.

How do you like them apples?

#136 8 years ago
    Quoted from jwo825:

There is a boob in beezleboob's name.

True dat. But the "boob" is because I'm such an idiot. Just ask McCune, who recently had to explain pop bumper disassembly to me.

#137 8 years ago

Check out the big brain on Brad!

#138 8 years ago

Was just reading comments on this whole issue on Facebook. It's sad to me how many people who are passionate about pinball are talking about how they never want to come to Pinside because of all the sexism and negative bullshit. This is the rep Pinside has now in the community. Be a pity if we couldn't fix that.

#139 8 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Was just reading comments on this whole issue on Facebook.

Pinside now has a Facebook page? Well, THAT could be the problem.

#140 8 years ago

I totally agree with Robin, and support him 1000%. I have noticed a lot more negativity and personal attacks here. I left RGP because it became overrun with trolls who hijacked RGP. Please, let's not let the same thing happen to pinside. Let's keep pinside to be about pinball and not about totally unrelated childish crap.

#141 8 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Just ask McCune, who recently had to explain pop bumper disassembly to me.

Pinside underground is so cool. Worth the price of admission ! Right Boob?

#142 8 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Was just reading comments on this whole issue on Facebook. It's sad to me how many people who are passionate about pinball are talking about how they never want to come to Pinside because of all the sexism and negative bullshit. This is the rep Pinside has now in the community. Be a pity if we couldn't fix that.

Where is this on Facebook?

#143 8 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

Pinside underground is so cool. Worth the price of admission ! Right Boob?

I'm a cheap bastard. I snuck in.

#144 8 years ago
    Quoted from starfighter:

The ONLY way to leave Pinside is with a giant post explaining why you are unhappy and are thus leaving (again).

Then someone will say they are sorry you feel have to go, and hope you come back at some point.

Then someone else will say they are sorry that the people here drove them off, and it's a shame.

So you can't just deactivate.

You have to put some drama into it.

#145 8 years ago

IMO Pinside would be a lot happier and friendlier place if vendors were not allowed to use the forum as a tool to take money for products that don't exist yet.

#146 8 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

It's sad to me how many people who are passionate about pinball are talking about how they never want to come to Pinside because of all the sexism

I thought that was Stern's Facebook with people traumatized about Whoa Nelly?

#147 8 years ago

The one and ONLY thing that is going to fix any perceived issue will be even and consistent moderation IMHO.

If the desire is to increase 'family friendly' then that is what is needed.

Bring out the ban hammer and start using it. May also need to switch up some moderation in order to increase the consistency and remove some of the snark. TBT on most forums the users follow and fall in line with the behaviors established and led by the mod team.

#148 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

why you are unhappy and are thus leaving (again).

Could just be that time of month?

#149 8 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

It's sad to me how many people who are passionate about pinball are talking about how they never want to come to Pinside because of all the sexism and negative bullshit.

I have no problem stating I am becoming one of those ready to leave. I don't need this negative crap.

That or my ignore list is going to get fricking huge soon.

I edited this as most of it was just a big rant. My first 2 lines above this say enough.

#150 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Could just be that time of month?

Pinheads are an old bunch.

I don't think there are any who are pre-menopausal.

There are 523 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 11.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lets-try-and-keep-pinside-family-friendly/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.