4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 523 posts
  • 161 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by The_Dude_Abides
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 9 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

the-decline-of-western-civilization.jpg
    poster50195737.jpg
    In person vs. online.jpg
    IMG_20150611_161805.jpg
    Pink.JPG
    mjpopcorn.gif
    Pinside.jpg
    1313783734-screen_shot_2011-08-19_at_12.54.08_pm.png
    lemur.jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 523 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 11.
    #451 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gerry:

let people be who they are
    within nornal 2015 current day standards..... not "1950" standards
    and most of these issues would be gone !

actually it's not so much the profanity but the 1950s style sexism that robin is asking to be toned down.

#452 4 years ago

Also, i think if the minority would stop trying to change the majority

then there would be less issues...

if your in the minority, then realize it.. make a decision to participate or leave others alone..

its when the minority bitches is when shit goes bad...

THATS why there are Mods here... !

They do a great job too...

i have been scolded and justly so...

i have had a thread eject..one time, very recently... it is what it is.. and i guess i deserved it..

a 24 hour deal.. all is good... and i get it...

let the mods do their thing...

#453 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gerry:

Also, i think if the minority would stop trying to change the majority
    then there would be less issues...
    if your in the minority, then realize it.. make a decision to participate or leave others alone..
    its when the minority bitches is when shit goes bad...

But majority does not rule here. This is Robin's house. His rules. He made a simple request to please be more respectful to each other and to tone down off-topic boobie pics. It's really that simple.

#454 4 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

actually it's not so much the profanity but the 1950s style sexism that robin is asking to be toned down.

I know Pez, and i also know your not pointing a finger at me.. like some..

pinball is what it is, and guys are what they are...

MOST, not ALL, but most women are the same way or worse than guys... now a days..

and i think thats awesome !

I am truly sorry a few that may be lurking here basically aren't...

its a written text forum, lots of "text" never comes out the way you would actually "say" it..

Other thing written are clear as a bell.... pics are pics...

Where we are at "NOW" with the pic thing on Pinside

are within the standards Robin wants, as per this post...

again as its been said before, one can always move one or read something else...

Anyway..gotta go to work... everyone have a good day..

#455 4 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

But majority does not rule here. This is Robin's house. His rules. He made a simple request to please be more respectful to each other and to tone down off-topic boobie pics. It's really that simple.

I'm pickin up what your puttin down.. Dude..

as per my post above...

#456 4 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

Either someone took over Jack's account or we just entered Bizarro Land.

I agree and I'm being serious here, I'm wondering if that's a different user on his account. Seems out of character to me and something he wouldn't spend his time on. Also not consistent with the type of content he's ever posted before.

"If you don't have a life, get one" to me doesn't seem like something he would post to the pinball community.

#457 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheZohan:

"If you don't have a life, get one" to me doesn't seem like something he would post to the pinball community.

I dunno. I've seen some stuff.....

#458 4 years ago

Thread lock time?

#459 4 years ago

I don't think we should assume that the majority of posters represents the majority of Pinside.

#460 4 years ago
    Quoted from thedefog:

Thread lock time?</blockquote

Yuup.......

#461 4 years ago

30 Minute Web Training coming in July:

$50
    Love thy Pinsider - "it's not who's right it's what's right" - Conflict Resolution via PM's

$50
    Manipulate thy Pinsider - Tricks and Tips to make the fellow Pinsider agree with you

$100
    Admitting your wrong - Have the fellow Pinsider admit they were wrong and made a mistake in a public thread

#462 4 years ago
    Quoted from TimeBandit:

Sure, and I get the barbecue scenario where the guys talk to the guys and the gals hang out with gals, but that is not the point. You are defining this site as a gender specific site, which it is not. You are defining it as similar to a football change room, which it is not. You are defining it as a place designed for burly guys to chest bump and be tough, which it is not. You seem to be speaking for all the men, which you most certainly are not.

I'm simply making observations and sharing MY opinion. You exaggerate and embellish. Anybody can watch Comedy Central, but the president of Comedy Central knows which demographic is his bread and butter. It isn't women and children and advertisers aren't buying ad space on CC to target women and children . Robin can do whatever he wants, but this is going to be a business right?

#463 4 years ago
    Quoted from thedefog:

Thread lock time?

Should have never been a thread for discussion, should have just been an advisement to all members, not 10+ pages of back and forth. Its Robin's child, his rules.

#464 4 years ago

Personally the only thing I find offensive on pinside is the butchering of the English language and how so many people don't know the difference between your and you're or their, they're, and there.

Well that and I can do without useful threads like the JPop one turning into pages of people hurling insults at each other and fighting.

Those things aside, I find this a wonderful site that is often full of useful information.

#465 4 years ago
    Quoted from jsrfo:

If you feel the urge to post pictures of boobs here, step out from behind the anonymity of the computer screen, and think about how your grandmother, mother, wife and/or daughter would feel about that. Tell any one of them face to face, that you are posting pictures of naked women on a public forum, and see their reaction, knowing their son, grandson, husband or father felt the need to do that to express themselves. To each their own, but I’m just trying to make a point.

What you are missing is that NO pictures of boobs have been posted.

No nudity at all exists on Pinside, it has never been allowed.

Tell that to your grandmother.

#466 4 years ago

If you really think it's okay to call women "broads", you don't even belong in this century, let alone Pinside.

Reminds me of grandma's "casual racism" at the Thanksgiving dinner table. It's embarrassing.

#467 4 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

If you really think it's okay to call women "broads", you don't even belong in this century, let alone Pinside.
    Reminds me of grandma's "casual racism" at the Thanksgiving dinner table. It's embarrassing.

Yawwwwwnnnnnnnnnn

#468 4 years ago

I guess Pinside just isn't for you, Vid. That's too bad, your how-tos are pretty great and they'll be missed.

#469 4 years ago

A thread started by the site's founder to "try and keep Pinside friendly", does exactly the opposite.

#470 4 years ago
    Quoted from MXV:

Personally the only thing I find offensive on pinside is the butchering of the English language and how so many people don't know the difference between your and you're or their, they're, and there.

Not everyone got a chance at the same education we did.

Not everyone is a native speaker of English.

And anyone who uses Android Speech to Text on their phone is bound to post **great** results.

We must except that as truth.

#472 4 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

We must except that as truth.

#473 4 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I admit it it. I posted a pic of a man's bare boobs once. It seemed funny at the time. I won't do it again.

#474 4 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

I guess Pinside just isn't for you, Vid. That's too bad, your how-tos are pretty great and they'll be missed.

Robin has asked you to be nice, and you just keep droning.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..............

#475 4 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

A thread started by the site's founder to "try and keep Pinside friendly", does exactly the opposite.

alanis-morissette.jpg

It's like rain on your wedding day?

#476 4 years ago
    Quoted from ZenTron:

30 Minute Web Training coming in July:
    $50
    Love thy Pinsider - "it's not who's right it's what's right" - Conflict Resolution via PM's
    $50
    Manipulate thy Pinsider - Tricks and Tips to make the fellow Pinsider agree with you
    $100
    Admitting your wrong - Have the fellow Pinsider admit they were wrong and made a mistake in a public thread

Will there be Shasta?

#477 4 years ago

I think the painful attempts at cleverness are worse than any of the other stuff...

#478 4 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Maybe it just means we don't belong in Canada.

#479 4 years ago
    Quoted from cody_chunn:

"Some men just want to see the world burn."

And most will then say: "Is that all there is to a fire?".

Hopeless.

#480 4 years ago

I think this is pretty simple. If disrespecting women is an important part of your life, then you'll need to do it elsewhere.

I say things so offensive that it would curl your toes - I get the appeal. I'm an older guy who is also pretty set in his ways and ideas that are probably a bit antique at this point. But I do it in private with my buddies, not in a public forum.

#481 4 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Vid, you were expecting rational conversations, but you got a goat. And no one wants a goat.

#482 4 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

I'm a member of two other heavily male dominated forums, the avsforum, and the Corvette forum. You look there and then you look here, and it's pretty obvious the difference...all the members there treat each other with respect. If they don't, they're gone. Post unrelated pics and crap? Gone. If you don't eliminate the bad members, you WILL chase away the good ones.

I have to strongly disagree with this. I am someone who also frequents both of those forums. Or used to I should say. AVS forum in particular is a complete disaster. Hyper active moderation and bias from moderators like I have never seen anywhere. I used to post extensively there, but the hyper moderation and bias was just too much to handle so I do not post there anymore. The Corvette forum is full of people crapping on each other, and tons of personal insults as well.

Pinside is a much better forum experience than either of those two forums in my opinion.

#483 4 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

maxresdefault.jpg
    Vid, you were expecting rational conversations, but you got a goat. And no one wants a goat.

A horse quote about a goat straight from the ass's mouth.

#484 4 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

I'm a member of two other heavily male dominated forums, the avsforum,

I too quit posting on AVS long ago.

If you add a link you are accused by the moderators of "Promoting your own product", if you post too many times in a row (like a "how to" thread) you get a time-out.

Even sadder, is that it used to be a great site.

I pray Pinside never gets as moderated as AVS.

#485 4 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I too quit posting on AVS long ago.
    If you add a link you are accused by the moderators of "Promoting your own product", if you post too many times in a row (like a "how to" thread) you get a time-out.
    Even sadder, is that it used to be a great site.
    I pray Pinside never gets as moderated as AVS.

EXACTLY!

#486 4 years ago

My 2 cents:

1. Remember, you don't always have to reply on a thread. If there's a tech thread for XYZ pin, and you don't even like that pin, don't go into it saying "haha XYZ pin sucks anyway". You're not helping. You're just being annoying.

2. Don't try to split hairs about pinside's policies. "But nudity is allowed in the Netherlands!"-type arguments are worthless. Just don't bother. Pinside isn't some constitutional right. If you're going to try to split hairs & try to compare this site's policies to North Korea(saw it once on here), just leave. Please, just leave.

3. While I love 1980s nostalgia and might be stuck in it, I'm not going to take the bad with it. Trust me, I hate social justice warriors & radical feminism more than anyone on here. Being a decent human being isn't that difficult. So the 1950s mentality I see on here towards women, well imagine if someone said some of the things towards your mother. Let's not create the pinhead stigma of a dirty old man in his 50s who you keep your kids away from.

#487 4 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

I have to strongly disagree with this. I am someone who also frequents both of those forums. Or used to I should say. AVS forum in particular is a complete disaster. Hyper active moderation and bias from moderators like I have never seen anywhere. I used to post extensively there, but the hyper moderation and bias was just too much to handle so I do not post there anymore. The Corvette forum is full of people crapping on each other, and tons of personal insults as well.
    Pinside is a much better forum experience than either of those two forums in my opinion.

It must only be certain sections of those two forums. In the xbox, projector, and theater avsforum forums I rarely see any issues. On the corvette forum I'm in the C3 section, never see any issues there. Maybe it's only in the new equipment sections of those forums where there are issues? Almost has to be, since I'm actually unaware of any issues in those forums. Or maybe I don't mind aggressive moderation? I don't know, I just know that the chances of me getting attacked in those forums is almost zero while here it's very high.

#488 4 years ago

[removed]

#489 4 years ago

I recommend brewers yeast on top of your popcorn. It's healthy and tastes great!

#490 4 years ago

I'll let Dennis Leary describe my feelings on this whole matter.

#491 4 years ago

In before the lock!!

#492 4 years ago

Thread summary...

Robin: Please don't post distrespectful pics and be respectful to each other

Pinsiders read it as: Argue about whether pics and posts are actually disrespectful, and throw personal insults to those who don't agree

#494 4 years ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

Thread summary...
    Robin: Please don't post distrespectful pics and be respectful to each other
    Pinsiders read it as: Argue about whether pics and posts are actually disrespectful, and throw personal insults to those who don't agree

The vidja game is better than the pinball game... HA!

#495 4 years ago

Robin created a thread with more rules violations and thread ejections than Pinside has ever seen! Funny as hell! Robin, you CRAZY Bro!

#496 4 years ago
    Quoted from s1500:

Let's not create the pinhead stigma of a dirty old man in his 50s who you keep your kids away from.

50s = old? I'm offended!

#497 4 years ago
    Quoted from Caucasian2Step:

I recommend brewers yeast on top of your popcorn. It's healthy and tastes great!

ijpop.gif

We use nutritional yeast on ours....also on pasta. Delicious!

#498 4 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

OK, I get it, but I was just referring to the half dozen other posts that referenced boobs and pictures of boobs. Sorry if I overstepped things. However, if it got a reaction, then good. It was only meant to make people think about what is being said and how it may be taken from a different perspective.

I stand by my statement that it's easy to be all sorts of "edgy", harsh, or "just proudly speaking your mind" when your face and you personally are not attached to inflammatory statements (third person "you", not you as in a personal thing, vid). It's different when you know you are going to be accountable, if only for being the person making the statement. The grandmother thing, well, I assume everyone respects their grandmother.

What I was trying to convey is that I believe this whole discussion is to bring civility to the forum, keep threads from being hi-jacked if only for the sake of stirring the pot, and to make it better as a whole. If members post as if you were talking to someone that they have some shred of respect for, then they'd likely tone things down. That's all.

#499 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I'll let Dennis Leary describe my feelings on this whole matter.
    » YouTube video

+1,000,000

#500 4 years ago
    Quoted from teekee:

Robin created a thread with more rules violations and thread ejections than Pinside has ever seen! Funny as hell! Robin, you CRAZY Bro!

Post best illustrates the sadness that is now Pinside.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Cabinet Parts
    PinBoltCaps
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 12,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 24.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Hookedonpinball.com
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    PinWoofer
    $ 63.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 7,299.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    DevilsMuse Arcade
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    € 8.10
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 32.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 67.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 154.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 41.00
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 60.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Docquest Pinball Mods
    There are 523 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 11.

This topic is closed.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside