pasted_image (resized).png
DSC_1880_thumb (resized).jpg
D33BF209-40A8-4EA1-9329-D6C40C177844 (resized).jpeg
Dog-snarling (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
Cobraimage_28005 (resized).jpg
IMG_0850 (resized).PNG
870ExpressSyn2ShotExt_25077_RV (resized).png
There are 71 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 6 years ago
Quoted from canea:

Guys, the old technology still works pretty well and is affordable!

"THAT WILL NEVER WORK!"

Use the atomic blaster!

"YOU CANNOT DEFEAT OUR FORCEFIELD!"

#52 6 years ago

I use the NEST Cameras inside and out and have been extremely pleased ... not the cheapest solution out there but easy to setup, easy to access via APP, reliable and scalable.

#53 6 years ago

I’m gearing up to expand the basic cheapo stuff I have now. The place to go is ipcamtalk.com, you will find out everything you want to know there.

Here is a good thread to look at.

https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/dahua-starlight-varifocal-turret-ipc-hdw5231r-z.14683/page-154#post-206099

I’m thinking about getting these Dahua cams and connecting to a blue iris server.

There are a number of reasons to get the cameras set up. It is true that a lot of times it just records bad stuff and doesn’t do you much good. But still there are uses. For example, footage from mine has been used twice by police to help with vehicle identification after stupid occurrences nearby.

#54 6 years ago

I have a top of the line alarm system protecting every potential entry point, as well as motion detectors throughout my home, but the most effective thing of all is probably the alarm sign out front. If you are a thief breaking into a random home for some quick cash, are you going to choose the house with the security system, or the one without it? I'm thinking the latter.

#55 6 years ago

Living next door to the Sheriff, I can tell you how most homes in **nice** areas are broken into:

Most home invasions are between 10am and 3pm (not in the middle of the night like in the movies).

The perp knocks at the door

a. If you answer, he tells you that your dog got out of the yard and is running up the street. If you tell him you don't have a dog, or that your dog is inside - he graciously thanks you and says he must have been mistaken.

b. If no one answers and no dogs bark, he will knock at the side door and then throw a rock, paver or whatever through the back window - then walk away.

He will make one casual walk around the block and then check your house again. If no neighbors are standing around with their hands on their hips, and no alarms are buzzing, he will then enter the house.

He will look if there are any alarm keypads near the doors, if there are, he will assume that he will be tripping the motion sensors and will have less than 2 minutes of working time as the alarm blasts.

He will grab the meds, the cash from the bedroom drawers, gun from the nightstand, jewelry.

That's it, the average robbery is done in 60 seconds.

-

The Sheriff says that there has only been 2 ever robberies where thieves ripped off houses with a van marked with the local funeral home.

None of the neighbors batted an eye when the van backed up and took all their stuff.

Do not post obituaries online or in the paper - high end thieves look for that kind of opportunity

DSC_1880_thumb (resized).jpgDSC_1880_thumb (resized).jpg

#56 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Living next door to the Sheriff, I can tell you how most homes in **nice** areas are broken into:
Most home invasions are between 10am and 3pm (not in the middle of the night like in the movies).
The perp knocks at the door
a. If you answer, he tells you that your dog got out of the yard and is running up the street. If you tell him you don't have a dog, or that your dog is inside - he graciously thanks you and says he must have been mistaken.
b. If no one answers and no dogs bark, he will knock at the side door and then throw a rock, paver or whatever through the back window - then walk away.
He will make one casual walk around the block and then check your house again. If no neighbors are standing around with their hands on their hips, and no alarms are buzzing, he will then enter the house.
He will look if there are any alarm keypads near the doors, if there are, he will assume that he will be tripping the motion sensors and will have less than 2 minutes of working time as the alarm blasts.
He will grab the meds, the cash from the bedroom drawers, gun from the nightstand, jewelry.
That's it, the average robbery is done in 60 seconds.
-
The Sheriff says that there has only been 2 ever robberies where thieves ripped off houses with a van marked with the local funeral home.
None of the neighbors batted an eye when the van backed up and took all their stuff.
Do not post obituaries online or in the paper - high end thieves look for that kind of opportunity

Around here we have to deal basically with three kinds of nonsense. First is like you said. These are generally the pros or semi pros. They also tend to work in pairs. They may scout the neighborhood and keep track of who leaves when. One will be a lookout. The second are the daytime package thieves. This crime is just too easy and it is growing worse. These are a combination of low level lowlifes and the drug addicts. The third are the nighttime thieves. These are a combination of the drug addicts basically wandering around looking for open cars and easy stuff to steal (the Christmas laser projectors have been snatched up by the dozens this year) and more semi pros at work stealing truck tailgates, SUV seats, and catalytic converters.

And I live in what most people would consider a nice place. It really is pathetic.

#57 6 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

This crime is just too easy and it is growing worse.

Man you are either in a really declining neighborhood. Property crime is down almost 50% since 1993.

I had a similar discussion with someone on this the other day. The study I found also highlighted the public misperceptions of crime -

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#58 6 years ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

Man you are either in a really declining neighborhood. Property crime is down almost 50% since 1993.
I had a similar discussion with someone on this the other day. The study I found also highlighted the public misperceptions of crime -

The key difference is today we have 24-hour "news" that is in the business of spreading fear, not factual information.

You also have politicians who like to play on this trope for votes.

The highest crime era as a proportion to population was the 1930s when Prohibition and the Depression crossed paths. My great grandfather was a cop who chased gangsters like Dillinger and his crew, but because my grandma does little besides watch this swill on cable, she thinks "the old days" were so much better.

#59 6 years ago

I can only speak for my neighborhood. I’ve lived in the same place for twenty years now. All the things I said are not made up or from the news. These are actual experiences I have seen or heard about. Lots of these happened right on my street to my very neighbors. It’s degenerating here at a rapid rate. CA is really an f-upped place right now.

#60 6 years ago

Politicians love to shout about **rampant crime in the streets** and then people start to believe it, no matter how low the actual crime rates drop.

Same with immigration. Even if more immigrants are leaving a country than coming in, politicians will always shout about immigrants **overflowing the boarders**.

#61 6 years ago

The most valuable thing for a thief is your car and most are parked right there in the open. Air bags, batteries, bumpers, etc... Easy to sell of to little body shops who will charge you full price. I used to do repo and it is amazingly easy. In fact anyone can put a wheel lift on a truck and you don't even have to get out. Sorry to be a little off topic.

#62 6 years ago

And they just passed their own pay raise while the public was concerned about the business tax. True criminals that all laugh at us behind closed doors.

#63 6 years ago

If it bleeds, it leads.....

No politician is going to say "Crime is at a 40 year low! Let's spend your money on helping the rich!"

zzzzzzzzzzcal (resized).jpgzzzzzzzzzzcal (resized).jpg

#64 6 years ago

It doesn't seem like a declining area, that's what is odd. People routinely drop a million on a small old house on a small lot around here. This is what it looks like around here basically 365 days a year. It's 70 F today.

Now look at this place, and consider this. The number one topic of conversation around here is EASILY this: Where to go to get out of here. And another common topic that brought me here in the first place... what security camera setup are you using? What should I get? Literally everyone is putting them in.

hb pier (resized).jpghb pier (resized).jpg

huntington-beach-is-surf (resized).jpghuntington-beach-is-surf (resized).jpg

hb girls (resized).jpghb girls (resized).jpg

#65 6 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

My security advice is make your home less attractive from a burglary standpoint than your neighbors.

3 (resized).jpg3 (resized).jpg

#66 6 years ago

Beautiful pics of old HB, man living by the water was nice. Wish I would have been smart enough to buy back in the day. Anything under $900 is a misdemeanor and can't be presented due to new laws when they do it again and again. Sad.

#67 6 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

It doesn't seem like a declining area, that's what is odd.

Oh, it's CA, then you can't explain it with anything rational.

If I were you I'd get a camera with a zoom lens to focus on those bikinis!

#68 6 years ago

Oh, it's CA, then you can't explain it with anything rational.
If I were you I'd get a camera with a zoom lens to focus on those bikinis!

Right on all counts! Now, back to the topic at hand, another consideration is the dreaded "license plate" shot. Everyone wants to have the ability to capture the plate number of undesirable cars in the area. From what I have read so far, this is not so easily achieved. Even a very nice high quality HD camera generally won't get those. You have to have a good camera with a specialized lens and the car has to get in just the right spot in order to get a good image.

#69 6 years ago

Years ago the next door neighbour told us that his house was robbed. He and his family had gone away for a long weekend, which is something they always did. One time they came home to a broken door and an empty house. Fake movers came by boxed all of their stuff up, then loaded their large moving van. Did not live next to them at the time, but a neighbour took a couple of photos. The guys had coveralls and all of the right equipment. Stolen plates on the truck as well.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pawtucket, RI
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

There are 71 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lets-talk-home-security/page/2?hl=mbaumle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.