Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 156 posts
  • 75 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Nevus
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1691 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1690 (resized).JPG
    groot02 (resized).png
    th (resized).jpeg
    th (resized).jpg
    40041517 (resized).jpg
    46DAgo (resized).jpg
    3-3 Equilbrium_08 (resized).jpg
    images (resized).png
    actors_vincent_price_movie_legends_1322x1800_wallpaper_Wallpaper_2560x1600_www.wallpaperswa.com_ (resized).jpg
    IMG_0261 (resized).PNG
    th (resized).jpeg
    1455456_f520 (resized).jpg
    images (resized).jpg
    06a3074fabf73a155d999c04ee0ce55e--dr-seuss-the-star (resized).jpg
    There are 156 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
    #101 6 years ago

New game for me this weekend. Probably a pro model. Woot woot.

TWD pro or GOT pro or who the hell knows. Lol.

#102 6 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

No you didn’t strike a nerve in me at all

*Proceeds to rant, including some cursing*

Yes, everyone's entitled to do with their money whatever they want. There's a definite correlation between the people spending ridiculous amounts of money on NIB games and the emboldening of Stern to see how much they can get away with. The most expensive NIB I've ever seen (BM66 SLE) is still running incomplete code. If that isn't a product of people throwing way too much money at Stern NIB games, i don't know what is. I'm not gonna try to stop them, I'll just take my business elsewhere.

#103 6 years ago
    Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

New game for me this weekend. Probably a pro model. Woot woot.
    TWD pro or GOT pro or who the hell knows. Lol.

Did you ask NPO for permission to buy a new game?

#104 6 years ago
    Quoted from frunch:

*Proceeds to rant, including some cursing*
    Yes, everyone's entitled to do with their money whatever they want. There's a definite correlation between the people spending ridiculous amounts of money on NIB games and the emboldening of Stern to see how much they can get away with. The most expensive NIB I've ever seen (BM66 SLE) is still running incomplete code. If that isn't a product of people throwing way too much money at Stern NIB games, i don't know what is. I'm not gonna try to stop them, I'll just take my business elsewhere.

And that’s exactly what you should do. Spend your money where you think you are getting your moneys worth. If someone wants to go buy a 15k pinball machine then that is their business. I personally wouldn’t do it but it’s their money and they can flush it down the toilet for all I care.

#105 6 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Did you ask NPO for permission to buy a new game?

I don't need anyone's permission my wife said I could. If NPO says I can't buy a game I might cry.

#106 6 years ago
    Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

I don't need anyone's permission my wife said I could. If NPO says I can't buy a game I might cry.

You are ruining the hobby rich guy, hope you know that!

#107 6 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

No you didn’t strike a nerve in me at all, but there is a few (many actually) things that you need to realize. Nobody gives a F*** if you are sour about what direction the pinball hobby is going in and what is happening with the secondary market etc, you need to realize that. I just don’t know who you think you are to be talking sh*t on someone who makes enough money to go buy an LE or a Super LE Pinball machine for 8 thousand or 15 thousand dollars that can’t change a light bulb, so what? If he wants to own 20 new LE Sterns and pay the local pinball guy to maintain them, who are you to care or complain about that? That seriously f*cking blows my mind.
    Pinball is like any other product, they will sell them for what the market will allow them to. Do you think I or anyone else likes how much pinball machines cost? Hell no we don’t but what am I suppose to do, not buy any games because you don’t want me to? I don’t think so hero sorry. I go to work and bust my ass every day, I will buy whatever I want to no matter how foolish that it may be in your eyes. It’s my money not yours, understand? I stated that I will not personally spend 8k on a pinball machine and I haven’t like you tried to insinuate that I have. I want Elvira when it comes out but guess what? If they price it like BM66 and no Pro model, I will have to go without it probably. If they start pricing pins above what I’m willing to pay then I will buy used, if I can’t afford used then I just won’t be able to buy any games.
    Do you also complain about the rich guy that drives a Mercedes or a Lamborghini that can’t even change his own oil? I mean seriously dude....waaaa waaa waaaaa, you need to get over yourself. There is a lot of things that I can’t afford to own that I would love to own, it’s just the way it is and it’s life, and I have no choice but to accept it. I think your parents must have forgot to tell you that life isn’t fair sometimes. You seem to be on this big crusade to put Stern and other new pinball companies out of business. I have some bad news for you, it’s not going to happen anytime soon. Buy the games that you can afford and I will buy the games that I can afford, and the really rich guys can buy the JJP games and the Super LE’s and stuff. There are pinball machines for all of us out there no matter what our financial status may be.

You sure told me .

This thread is about the community realizing how much it is being played, and some people are waking up. I am one of the more vocal ones because I don't think it is right for Stern to continue to raise prices while bringing their QC standards way, way down from code to playfield to decals to thicknesses of metal brackets to taking out the shaker on even the LE model now. I don't think that and other things are ok. The whole "make us a video to show why you deserve a SLE game" stunt was a slap in the face to this community, and prices are going up at a rate that most cannot afford.

I simply do not understand paying more for less from a company that clearly doesn't care about this community. They only care about how much they can drain your wallet while offering a continull inferior product, and that is annoying when it drives the used market to where even Sega games are breaking the 3000-4000 barrier now.

You took what I said extremely personally, and quite frankly, I'm not going to get into it with you. We can take it to PM if you want to talk about this further. The tough guy Internet routine for everyone to see is trite and banal.

#108 6 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

You sure told me .
    This thread is about the community realizing how much it is being played, and some people are waking up. I am one of the more vocal ones because I don't think it is right for Stern to continue to raise prices while bringing their QC standards way, way down from code to playfield to decals to thicknesses of metal brackets to taking out the shaker on even the LE model now. I don't think that and other things are ok. The whole "make us a video to show why you deserve a SLE game" stunt was a slap in the face to this community, and prices are going up at a rate that most cannot afford.
    I simply do not understand paying more for less from a company that clearly doesn't care about this community. They only care about how much they can drain your wallet while offering a continull inferior product, and that is annoying when it drives the used market to where even Sega games are breaking the 3000-4000 barrier now.
    You took what I said extremely personally, and quite frankly, I'm not going to get into it with you. We can take it to PM if you want to talk about this further. The tough guy Internet routine for everyone to see is trite and banal.

Stern has every right to Set their prices anywhere they want to. They also have the right to run their business anyway they please because it’s THEIR business. Yes I did take it personally because quite frankly, you have a lot to learn in life. My act also is not a internet tough guy act, there’s nothing I won’t say on here that I wouldn’t say to someone’s face. No need to talk about it on PM either because you are wrong dude in your beliefs period. You definitely have the right to have your opinion but don’t think you are going to dig up old posts that I’ve made and call me out with false information and not get a negative response from me, not going to happen.

#109 6 years ago

As much as I love and prefer the jjp games over Stern, the price is tough to deal with. When I stop and think about it, I could nearly get two Stern pros for the same price. That said, if I can afford a jjp, and jjp4 is amazing, then I will probably try to get it. I just get sick sometimes thinking about how much money is tied up in my machines, but hey, we only live once. Do what makes you happy.

#110 6 years ago

its just pure entertainment dollars in my mind. The money isn't much of a concern; however I do think of value prior to pulling the trigger. I realize everyone has a different definition of value, but in my mind its quality of the pin (is it fun, and will my kids enjoy), quality of the build, customer service, and code level upon delivery. If I do purchase a NIB pin I usually wait until the market reacts to the quality of the pin versus putting down a deposit, which is typically unwarranted (at least in my mind). Market is the market...manufacturers will charge whatever they can for their products, which is exactly what they should do. If they don't make money the product will eventually go away.

Now that being said its one of the reasons I really like all the JJP pins....yes they are very expensive, but they do make a great product...I think the same way about CGC...Stern is clearly third when it comes to build quality....is what is...the market will dictate the future...

#111 6 years ago

Just to clarify... Toronto is not the 4th largest city in Canada. It is by far the largest in Canada and pretty sure it is the 4th largest in North America only behind NY, LA, and Chicago.

#112 6 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

For the future seems like Stern still have the best themes

Theme means nothing if the gameplay is garbage.

#113 6 years ago

Theme is somewhat important, but not the end all be all....everyone bagged DI without even playing the game...the game itself is frankly amazing, and extremely innovative...its nice to see a company that not only builds a great product, but is willing to do original themes

#114 6 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

You'd think so but these days that doesn't seem to be the general consensus

#115 6 years ago

At this point I am only going to be buying pro models from Stern. The prices of game are way out of control and not worth it in my opinion.

#116 6 years ago
    Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Just to clarify... Toronto is not the 4th largest city in Canada. It is by far the largest in Canada and pretty sure it is the 4th largest in North America only behind NY, LA, and Chicago.

I'm certain flashinstinct was referring to Ottawa as the "4th largest city in Canada". But no one outside Canada gives a shit about Ottawa so referring to it as the "4th largest city" instead might help his case.

#117 6 years ago

I am more than likely out on buying any games for now, especially NIB, I bought DILE and don't plan on anymore NIB for many reasons, quality, code, pricing, immediate depreciation, stripping features, etc. As of now the only way I plan on getting any games would be if I sold one and bought another or do a trade. The pricing of new/used games has honestly kind of turned me off of pinball lately, this became most apparent to me when I bought a classic car I wanted for a long time for the price of 2 premium Stern games. I should have done it long ago, but it's hard to stomach a nice fun car for the price of 2 pinball machines.

#118 6 years ago

The lemmings of NIB

#119 6 years ago

I’m not bothered by what others are payong for new and used games. But I have decided it’s gotten too high for me to keep buying.

I find it takes more to impress me than it did a few years ago for me to give top dollar.

The recent Stern LEs and JJP games have gone too high for me to take the chance. Now that I’ve been in the hoody a while, there is no longer a “have to have it” feel. There is more of a “I would really enjoy that” for me now.

A few examples
    As much as I like GB Premium, I think I overpaid for what I got. It was a trade, but for a NIB. It’s just too dang hard and I don’t play it much.

I got Aerosmith Pro, lightly used, for a good deal and I have no regrets at all.

Beyond a Stern Pro or a Spooky Game, I will likely pass all together unless is becomes a real champ as code develops.

#120 6 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

I'm certain flashinstinct was referring to Ottawa as the "4th largest city in Canada". But no one outside Canada gives a shit about Ottawa so referring to it as the "4th largest city" instead might help his case.

That's what the intentions was. How is the SW scene down in Toronto?

#121 6 years ago

Relax NPO, it's just pinball

We will get another round of price increases and let's see how that goes over

Everybody has a breaking point, and it's not the same number for everybody

#122 6 years ago

A lesson in perspective:

Quoted from drsfmd:

Said the collector.

"Gameplay means nothing if the theme makes big money." Said the operator.

#123 6 years ago
    Quoted from ASOA:

Greetings from the Amusement Operations World. We have seen this exact same thing happen to all of our Arcade games as well. Let's use Arcade driving games for example. New Crusin Blast sells for 7600.00 ish. All new drivers sell for roughly the same. Some like Mario Kart sell for 10,500.00. What this has done is made the used market very strong. Previous models of driving games Dirty Drivin FnF Super Cars and other good Drivers used to sell for 2500 to 3500 in the used market. Since the price of new equipment is so high people started to say if I sell this for 3k what am I going to replace it with? They will have to sell their game plus come out of pocket another 5-7k. Obviously lots of operators were not on board with this model. So everyone started to not sell their used newer equipment. Hence inflating the market. Operators would demand near new prices for their pre owned equipment . So in a nut shell the manufacture charging so much to there customer effects the whole market. and Not for the better. I have invested millions in my company to stay relevant to our customers. Lots of operators could not keep up with the price increases and were forced out of business. This is very sad for the entire industry. I will be attending IAAPA the largest Amusement attraction show in the world next month in Orlando FL. Every year It is the same. Lots of friendly faces and smiles as long as we bring our check books. The average price for a redemption game ( ticket arcade) is 12k. This is the new normal. New games come out every year and the price keeps getting higher and higher. 30k for a sit down game. Yep 30k and each one of my locations need at least one. Things are beyond crazy. Technology in theory is supposed to get cheaper as time progresses. Where will this stop? Not sure but I can tell you from this side of the Amusement world it is not showing signs of slowing.

I just can't believe what I'm reading. Those prices are insane. How do you make money on these?

#124 6 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

I just can't believe what I'm reading. Those prices are insane. How do you make money on these?

Location, location, location

#125 6 years ago

You need very good locations to justify the expense. Seems as if the manufacturers think those are the only locations that are out there.

#126 6 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Relax NPO, it's just pinball
    We will get another round of price increases and let's see how that goes over
    Everybody has a breaking point, and it's not the same number for everybody

Agreed.

For the record, WhoDey and I took things to PM, and he and I are 100% good now.

This has been a very rough year for me, and I plan to reveal all those details in the "serious section" of the forums in a couple months. It'll help explain why I've been a bit of a stick in the mud lately. Doesn't justify it, but will help offer an explanation. I'm going to try to correct my recent behavior - hopefully - with buying another pinball machine in early 2018.

Look for a thread on all these details Christmas/New Years 2017.

/thread derail off

#127 6 years ago

Like sands through the hourglass these are the pinside days of our lives.

I love pinside.

#128 6 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

Agreed.
    For the record, WhoDey and I took things to PM, and he and I are 100% good now.
    This has been a very rough year for me, and I plan to reveal all those details in the "serious section" of the forums in a couple months. It'll help explain why I've been a bit of a stick in the mud lately. Doesn't justify it, but will help offer an explanation. I'm going to try to correct my recent behavior - hopefully - with buying another pinball machine in early 2018.
    Look for a thread on all these details Christmas/New Years 2017.
    /thread derail off

Yep it's all good and NPO is a good dude. I actually know him personally, he just didn't realize it. He is a really cool guy though and I invited him over for some beer and pinball....hopefully that will happen soon!

I guess on one hand I can understand why he thinks the newer games are so bad though, because his original AFM is probably about the nicest one on the planet. It's so nice that it should be in a pinball museum somewhere. I would be afraid to play it, not even joking.

He is going through alot right now but hopefully things will get much better for him in time. Hopefully very soon because he deserves it!

#129 6 years ago

What the hell is going on here?

#130 6 years ago

Hands up, who has changed or will change their buying habits based on the opinions of others expressed in this thread?

#131 6 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Hands up, who has changed or will change their buying habits based on the opinions of others expressed in this thread?

I am always open to changing my habits if it involves cheaper, better, and quicker results.

#132 6 years ago

Current prices wouldn't be so bad if we used hotdogs as currency. 20 hot dogs would equal roughly a nickel. Depending on the strength of the yen.

40041517 (resized).jpg40041517 (resized).jpg

#133 6 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

I agree with your point. However, I would not participate in a discussion forum if I wasn’t interested in other people’s opinions and perspectives.

#134 6 years ago
    Quoted from Nevus:

.... interested in other people’s opinions and perspectives.

Ohhhh..... THAT'S what this is all about..... I see......

#135 6 years ago

I am not wealthy. My method for decades (for everything but my house) has been to save first and buy something only when I can afford to pay for it in full. I have 5 cars, 9 electric guitars, 16 pinball machines and various other things which I purchased this way. (For the house I took a 15 year mortgage and paid it off in 12-1/2 years.) But I am retirement age now and will no longer be working and earning money to spend on ridiculously expensive NIB pinball machines (or any more new cars). From here on my main concern is will I outlive my savings and meager social security income? For me the price of NIB pinball has already jumped the shark.

#136 6 years ago

Right on the mark with prediction.

#137 6 years ago

Part of the problem is the fact that there are more than one version of the game. Another is that people are willing to pay a lot of money for a machine whether or not it is a good theme or complete. When runs are small, price naturally goes up and secondary market also goes up. I my opinion if you do not buy a NIB, you will miss out or have to resurrect a badly worn machine that will still cost you in the long run. Stop shelling out for expensive games and the price will come down or only buy the lowest end version of the game and the other versions will go away and the price will still be reasonable. Different playfield art, cabinet art, and features for the same titled game is what is driving up cost for both the manufacturer and the purchaser.

#138 6 years ago

JJP game 3 Standard $8,000 LE $9,000 game 4 $8,500 $9,500 game 5 $9,000 and $10,000?

#139 6 years ago

I think folks just need to buy what they like and have fun playing it and quit thinking they are changing the world with their purchase choice.

#140 6 years ago

Pinny if you dont think folks can speak with their wallets then what voice do we have? We didn't get to this price point by inflation.

#141 6 years ago

Pinball machines, new, old and in between are toys that used to be cheap and there was little market. Now they are expensive and apparently a growing market. What you are seeing likely is the pendulum swing and at some point it will go the other way. Who knows when, but at this rate I have little pitty for folks working this as a long position market.

#142 6 years ago

Ice buys expensive games.

Ice feels silly later.

Ice starts this thread & swears "never again"

Ice preorders JJP's most expensive pin just days later.

You did buy JJPOTC right?

#143 6 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

Ice buys expensive games.
    Ice feels silly later.
    Ice starts this thread & swears "never again"
    Ice preorders JJP's most expensive pin just days later.
    You did buy JJPOTC right?

So much more context here Curly. You need to keep up.

The tides are shifting, POTC and JJP

Ice is passionate about pinball

#144 6 years ago

SWLE was my last new pin. I have $9k in it with a shaker and to be honest, I don't see the $ value anymore. I'm sure JJPs POTC is fun, but starting at $8500 for a base model is too much for me. When my airplane starts to look cheaper than my pinball hobby then it is time to re-evaluate where my money is going.

I think we are in another bubble on just about everything. Pinball is doing well in this bubble, but I don't see it lasting much longer. We shall see.

#145 6 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

So much more context here Curly. You need to keep up.
    The tides are shifting, POTC and JJP
    Ice is passionate about pinball

Ice then buys a Stern GOTG LE with $500 Groot tooper

#146 6 years ago

Ice Ice baby!

th (resized).jpgth (resized).jpg

#147 6 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

Ice then buys a Stern GOTG LE with $500 Groot tooper

Don't say that shit. My SW deposit with JJ is waiting for a GOLDEN TEE!

Yes i want that GOTG LE because i know it will be a Stern comeback (Franchi comments are quite positive) BUT just can't and won't do it.

Leaving that one for you Curly.

#148 6 years ago

How many guardians are there in the galaxy? Or how many spring toys will there be?

#149 6 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Don't say that shit. My SW deposit with JJ is waiting for a GOLDEN TEE!
    Yes i want that GOTG LE because i know it will be a Stern comeback (Franchi comments are quite positive) BUT just can't and won't do it.
    Leaving that one for you Curly.

If you bail on a Golden Tee... I'm putting you on ignore lol.

#150 6 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

If you bail on a Golden Tee... I'm putting you on ignore lol.

Best bargain on the planet. Seriously, sticking a fork in GOTG and going golfing. MUCH F ing cheaper

There are 156 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lets-talk-about-pricing/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.