Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 98 posts
  • 52 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by wayout440
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ao.jpg
    sf.jpg
    mint.jpg
    image001.jpg
    tumblr_lszle7mEPJ1qh0vcro1_500.jpg
    MINT.jpg
    sf.jpg
    twins_01.png
    York-Peppermint-Patty.jpg
    th-1-971.jpeg
    There are 98 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 9 years ago

Getting hung up on or relying any one word in an ad (HOU, Mint, Excellent, etc.) is useless. Look at the pictures to judge whether to go look at it in person. Rely upon what you see in person to make your own judgement.

#52 9 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Anything Choggard or barrywnj sells.

Hahaha

#53 9 years ago

Yeah. Very gray area.
    I've had a machine advertised NIB except that the seller took it out, updated the code, and tested it.

I'm usually hard on myself when I sell things. I don't ever call my stuff mint because it isn't.

I've pulled machines out from basements that have sat for decades. Maybe a few hundred plays. But they are far from mint.

#54 9 years ago

Just ban the words, Mint, Minty, HUO, home used only and Shopped. Problem solved!

#55 9 years ago

Because people are idiots. A "restored" car is worth much less than an original in great condition. Pinball collectors either don't seem to grasp this concept or don't care. Either way, you have to do what makes you happy, so game on! I will only consider restoring a game that is in "part it out" condition.

#56 9 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

Because people are idiots. A "restored" car is worth much less than an original in great condition. Pinball collectors either don't seem to grasp this concept or don't care.

I think it's you who are failing to grasp the concept. Pinball machines and cars are two different animals. You are assuming that just because something is true in one hobby, that it must be true in all hobbies? The fact is that most people in the hobby would be willing to pay more for a HEP game than a NIB version of the same game. To say that all these people are "idiots" seems rather shortsighted.

#57 9 years ago

If you look at the origin of the term, the only acceptable definition is exactly as it was when it was made. no damage and definitely not restored! I would say very few machines can be labeled as "mint" after they've been played. If you find ANY wear, it's not mint.

#58 9 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

A "restored" car is worth much less than an original in great condition.

That depends on the car, who restored it (and to what level) and what your idea of "great" is. If it's a freakin' time capsule car, sure. Uh-oh, what do i mean by "time capsule"? Doesn't matter, carguments don't work here, anyhow.

#59 9 years ago
    Quoted from Squeakman:

Just ban the words, Mint, Minty, HUO, home used only and Shopped.

Dirty mouth!

tumblr_lszle7mEPJ1qh0vcro1_500.jpgtumblr_lszle7mEPJ1qh0vcro1_500.jpg
    #60 9 years ago
    Quoted from ShootForSlrValue:

To those who have responded with genuine reasoning behind your opinions on "mint", thanks. It's cool to see the different views and perspectives on the idea; that's what pinside is about.
    To those having your miniature pissing contest on the side: delete your accounts. You aren't what this forum wants or needs. Quit cluttering up forums with your piss poor attitudes. Realize how stupid it looks when someone new to the site comes through to look at this kind of stuff to learn and how off-putting it is when they read through a thread and see adults bickering like children.

The internet lifeguard has spoken!

#61 9 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I think it's you who are failing to grasp the concept. Pinball machines and cars are two different animals. You are assuming that just because something is true in one hobby, that it must be true in all hobbies? The fact is that most people in the hobby would be willing to pay more for a HEP game than a NIB version of the same game. To say that all these people are "idiots" seems rather shortsighted.

This is long winded sorry...

You see, "paying more for what you want" and "destroying the originality of an item" are two different things to me. People pay whatever they pay because that's the item they want. I am allowed to call them idiots for modifying an original NIB game if I want.

In the example given by chuckwurt, that person is an idiot.

Cars and pins are not all that different animals. They are both examples of restorable collectible Americana items. Regarding American collectibles, changing the original presentation of a NIB manufactured item (pinball) devalues it's value and collectibility considerably in nearly every single case.

Now, if you don't consider pinball a collectible manufactured item, I suppose you are not an idiot to spend more for a restored example, over a very nice original. You could just be spending your disposable income on whatever game you want to play. That's great.

However, if you buy an original NIB item, and pay someone to change it from that state to a "better state" because you think it will hold it's value long term, your money is much better spent that way, and it will make it "more collectible", you fall more into the idiot category.

In a time beyond your own pinball desires, the restored example will always be lees desirable. Sometimes pinball is more about preservation than it is about restoration. How many "restored" examples of pinball machines are at the PAPA facility or at the PHOF in Vegas? To my knowledge, there are NONE. That is important to me because they present the games in their original glory and the games play EXACTLY like they always played in original (added--> "on location") condition. Some people don't prefer that, it's all good.

Once you auto-clear them and add mods, you make them something else that never existed with that historical and nostalgic coin operated item. Classic collectibles [anything here] ALL share this same dynamic.

I don't know a single collectible hobby where an original in great condition is not ALWAYS preferred (and more valuable) over a "high-end" restored example. Does not really matter if it's a jukebox, classic car, wooden toy, pinball, video game, coin, sports card, ect.

#62 9 years ago

Mint is how it came out of the box condition

CQ restored is much nicer and is considered EYE CANDY

#63 9 years ago
    Quoted from fiberdude120:

I agree on both of your definitions if you remove the "much nicer" part.

#64 9 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

changing the original presentation of a NIB manufactured item (pinball) devalues it's value and collectibility considerably in nearly every single case.

then why do people pay more for modded games?

Quoted from snyper2099:

PAPA facility or at the PHOF in Vegas?

Quoted from snyper2099:

the games play EXACTLY like they always played in original condition.

no they don't

#65 9 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

They don't. Well, I don't unless it's exactly what I want (doesn't happen that often).

Regarding the papa/phof comment...
    They do play more like they originally did when they were at locations in America, over a resorted example of the same game.

They break down just the same as a restored game.

#66 9 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

I won't even consider a heavily modded game..That's just me. I like them oem, or close to.

#67 9 years ago

Kudos to Snyper who hit the nail on the head about collectibles.

For example, refininishing and restoring a classic collectable guitar absolutely destroys it's value. People pay through the nose for an unrestored vintage guitar with it's crackling finish as compared to any restoration of the same item. I am certainly glad I had the sense to sell my classic Gibson in as-is condition.

#68 9 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

people are idiots. A "restored" car is worth much less than an original in great condition. Pinball collectors either don't seem to grasp this concept

So you are saying a HEP pin is worth less than a NIB? Guess a Shelby is worth less than a stock Mustang too.

#69 9 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

I don't know a single collectible hobby where an original in great condition is not ALWAYS preferred (and more valuable) over a "high-end" restored example.

Welcome to pinball.

You keep using the word "preferred" as if there is something intrinsically more valuable about an original vs. a restored pin. I'd argue that the value is all in the eye of the beholder. Yes, there are some collectors out there who are willing to pay a huge premium for original pins in great condition. There are more people, however, that won't. At the end of the day, the only thing that truly gives an object its value is what it is worth to the person buying it. You are arguing that people who prefer HEPs to originals are somehow wrong, and I couldn't disagree more. Heck, there are some people who would take an MMr over a NIB MM. Are these people wrong? No. They simply have a different set of values than you and I.

Edit:

After thinking it over some more, I've come to the conclusion that the reason we are not on the same page is because we are arguing from two completely different perspectives. You are coming at it from the perspective of the pure collector, and I am coming at it from the perspective of the typical player/hobbyist. Because of this, I believe it's possible for both of us to be correct.

#70 9 years ago
    Quoted from fiberdude120:

CQ is a loaded term in pinball, it could mean any of the following:

1. Original condition and Mint (nothing repro, no restoration)
    2. Restored to better than NIB (Mint, but with better clear coat, higher-res decals, added bling)
    3. Mint

In most collectible hobbies a "collector quality" item is nothing short of #1, which is also similar to the the criteria museums use to seek items... the best possible sample of an unenhanced original, no repro, no eye candy.

#71 9 years ago
    Quoted from zippydapinhead:

So you are saying a HEP pin is worth less than a NIB? Guess a Shelby is worth less than a stock Mustang too.

no but a restored Shelby is worth less than a some condition original.

#72 9 years ago

Not really saying this at all. To me, if the HEP pin plays the way I want it to play, it is worth more to me (don't think money value here, think playable value) than the NIB. The reason is because I can't play the NIB pin before I buy it. HEP-ing a NIB game makes no sense to me but like I said, others can spend money on whatever they want.

#73 9 years ago

The preferred word was used in a statement not only pertaining to pinball.

"I don't know a single collectible hobby where an original in great condition is not ALWAYS preferred (and more valuable) over a "high-end" restored example."

Pinball is a possible exception to this statement, but that does not change the fact that MOST (not all) collectible communities and items use this stated preference. I will admit that... with pinball specifically, it is evaluated on a game-by-game basis and seems to be much less universal for the entire community.

I also want to reiterate that the way that a pinball table plays is changed so dramatically when adding something like auto-clear to it's surface, it derails far enough away from the original presentation of how it played, that I do not desire to play it as much as I would an original table. A lot of others share this feeling. A lot do not. That doesn't bother me at all. Collect and play what you like!

Think of this though. How much would it cost to take a HEP restore and put it back to NIB condition? Would it even be possible? Would it make the game less "valuable" in money or playability? Let's use the NIB example of a Fish Tales (just to throw out a random game I don't often see NIB). The guy that takes a NIB FT and pays for a HEP-like restore is an idiot. You are not going to convince me otherwise. One less original FT in like new shape that can not easily be reversed to the way it once was NIB. Congrats for destroying possibly the best example of an original FT ever. You can always "restore". I have just never seen the value in that over original. You can't always get it back to NIB condition. It would always be cheaper to find a beat to death FT to use in this example and you wouldn't place the perfect example game into a state that it can't be reversed from.

#74 9 years ago

Machines like this are often described in ads as "excellent original condition", so I guess mint is somewhere just above this

image001.jpgimage001.jpg
    #75 9 years ago

For me, it's quite simple. I expect mint to be "not a flaw"

I don't care if It's original / restored..as far as the word "mint" pertains to.
    Original / restored is a different or additional consideration in what is being described.

#76 9 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Machines like this are often described in ads as "excellent original condition", so I guess mint is somewhere just above this

image001.jpg 90 KB

"minnnnnnnt...."

mint.jpgmint.jpg
    #77 9 years ago

So is this true... a NIB BBB is worth less then a HEP BBB....wrong!

#78 9 years ago
    Quoted from kidchrisso:

So is this true... a NIB BBB is worth less then a HEP BBB....wrong!

Yeah, it does depend on the title used in said example.

#79 9 years ago

Robert M. Lee is a prominent collector of both firearms and automobiles, one of a handful of men on the planet who is a genuine expert in both fields at the highest level.

“To a serious gun collector, condition is everything,” he told me. “The difference between cars and guns is that there are many more guns in fine to pristine condition, even guns hundreds of years old, than there are automobiles. Automobile collectors really do not have a choice, because mint original specimens are so rare.

“When it comes to gun restoration, there are two principles. If a piece is in fine condition it should not be touched; and, if a piece is extremely rare or one of kind, it should not be touched regardless of condition.

“If you have a gun that is in shabby condition, and there are thousands of them around – the Winchester 94 is a perfect example – then proper restoration will give you a really nice example of a rifle you otherwise could not afford.”

#80 9 years ago

Because what they do is a different level of "NIB"? One guy got an extra layer of clear on his PF, it looks incredible and won't have any wear issues, metal gets polished as well as other items. It probably is cheaper than sending an old game in so I wouldn't look at it in terms of mega price. This was also years back so perhaps with a bit better quality coming from stern this isnt as common? No clue

#81 9 years ago

but that only junior mint

#82 9 years ago
    Quoted from jrivelli:

Because what they do is a different level of "NIB"? One guy got an extra layer of clear on his PF, it looks incredible and won't have any wear issues, metal gets polished as well as other items. It probably is cheaper than sending an old game in so I wouldn't look at it in terms of mega price. This was also years back so perhaps with a bit better quality coming from stern this isnt as common? No clue

Yeah, I guess I don't get it like Snyper said. I mean, even if the stock clear isn't the best in the world, I highly doubt that if you take care of the game that it will ever show signs of wear. Brand new metal comes unpolished? I am trying to think of why someone would want to immediately send a brand new collectible to a restorer, but I don't think I could ever be convinced that it is feasible. Just my opinion though, whatever floats your boat or finds your lost remote.

#83 9 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

I also want to reiterate that the way that a pinball table plays is changed so dramatically when adding something like auto-clear to it's surface, it derails far enough away from the original presentation of how it played, that I do not desire to play it as much as I would an original table.

I don't see how the feel could be that different if you compare apples to apples. A brand new factory clear and a home shot auto clear are going to feel pretty similar. Of course if you are comparing a freshly cleared and shopped playfield to one that has 10,000 plays on it then of course it's going to feel different.

#84 9 years ago
    Quoted from ShootForSlrValue:

Let's talk about mint.

Which one? Philadelphia, Denver, or Sacramento?

#85 9 years ago
    Quoted from Anth:

I don't see how the feel could be that different if you compare apples to apples.

Try apples to oranges. Most pinball machines did not come from the factory with automotive type clearcoat.

#86 9 years ago
    Quoted from Anth:

I don't see how the feel could be that different if you compare apples to apples. A brand new factory clear and a home shot auto clear are going to feel pretty similar. Of course if you are comparing a freshly cleared and shopped playfield to one that has 10,000 plays on it then of course it's going to feel different.

You would see a MAJOR difference if they were side by side and you played each a few times. Speed, trajectory, bounce, air balls, even something like titling is dramatically different based on what surface you are playing.

#87 9 years ago

Mint = ?

#88 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Try apples to oranges.

ao.jpgao.jpg
    #89 9 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

I am trying to think of why someone would want to immediately send a brand new collectible to a restorer, but I don't think I could ever be convinced that it is feasible.

That's if you consider pins as collectible in the first place... some are, but most aren't, and if it is NIB there's no way to tell if it will be collectible in the future.

Here's an example of HEP's work on a NIB game, while you may not send your NIB game to get the high end treatment, you'll probably appreciate the end result: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hep-avengers-le

#90 9 years ago

Regarding mint and NIB. A lot can happen in transit, so they cannot be equated.

Regarding HEP and NIB. There is a such thing as "better than factory."

#91 9 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Regarding mint and NIB. A lot can happen in transit, so they cannot be equated.
    Regarding HEP and NIB. There is a such thing as "better than factory."

In who's eyes? Yours? Please define "better". What makes them better in your view? How can someone's preference be better than another person's preference?

#92 9 years ago

Mint condition is not flawed like out of the box.

That is not to be confused with new out of box, but slightly scraped taking it out of the box.

If I had a 60 year old comic book presented to me, without cover spine creases, cover chipping, writing, etc... and without yellowed pages I'd call it near mint.

Anyone who sells me a game, 10, 20, 30+ year old pinball I hold them to the same standard. Don't BS me and don't use a potentially inaccurate term "mint" to your advantage.

#93 9 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

In who's eyes? Yours? Please define "better". What makes them better in your view? How can someone's preference be better than another person's preference?

See what I posted before you for an example.

#94 9 years ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

See what I posted before you for an example.

Is that a game hep did for himself? That's fine. But I'm not gonna send a nib game right to a restorer. IM just not that anal I guess. Plus. You never know when you're gonna have the next BBB so I just think it's not that smart. But I do appreciate people doing what they gotta do to get the game of their dreams I guess.

#95 9 years ago

I think this is just a "to each their own situation".

#96 9 years ago

I guess I am at the other end of the spectrum trying to figure how a guy can sell a game and say that it works 'cause the lights turn on.

#97 9 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

Usually "better than factory" refers to old stuff fixed up beyond what the manufacturer would do. Better fit and finish and higher quality parts. More time and effort than what achieved through the mass production process. New things can be "better than factory", but the higher the quality from factory the harder it is to achieve.

#98 9 years ago

I could buy a nice antique table and replace the top with a beautiful and expensive piece of mahogany. Some people will absolutely love it. The furniture collectors will say you f-d that table up.

There are 98 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lets-talk-about-mint/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.