20230831_140057 (resized).jpg
20230831_140030 (resized).jpg
20230812_190743 (resized).jpg
20230812_190817 (resized).jpg
20230812_190720 (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1690511860651 (resized).jpg
20230710_223232 (resized).jpg
20230710_223345 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rotordave.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#71 10 years ago

To the OP .. If you liked the Metallica, check out the new Anthrax album, Worship Music. Awesome album.

Personally, I have over 1000 hard rock/metal albums, from LZ and Deep Purple right through NWOBHM to today. Have my favorites of course, but I still love discovering new stuff. Some cool kiwi metal coming out now too.

And with YouTube etc, its easier than ever to check bands out.

OP, here are a few for you to check out ...

Killswitch Engage
Lamb of God
New Anthrax (as mentioned before)
Classic Live Maiden (as someone else mentioned) ... Check out "beast on the road" if you can from 1982
Tool ... I'm seeing them in Auckland next Weds, just can't wait.

rd.

#90 10 years ago
Quoted from Skrippy:

Gonna bring some love for Metalcore in this joint. With one of my favorite Metalcore bands
Parkway Drive all the way from Australia.
» YouTube video
Keep in mind John, that there is a right way to scream and a wrong way to scream. It's not destroying your vocal chords if you do it correctly.

Parkway Drive are cool.

I think the way they mix the heavy stuff with the melodic counterpoint hooks is awesome.

Another band that does this really well is Underoath. Some of their stuff is just awesome, I listen to it all the time. They are a Christian band evidently ... But you'd never know. Define the Great Line - cool album.

Talking of Christians, Kings X has been one of my favorite bands since the 1980s. Very underrated. More rock than metal though. They've done some great stuff.

rd.

#91 10 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

Is this your first time seeing them?
They put on an amazing show. You won't be disappointed.

Yes, first time seeing TOOL.

Saw A Perfect Circle some years ago. The band just stood there and did nothing in particular, and Maynard stood behind a sheet in the back. You could see his silhouette on the sheet. So not much going on visually, but the music made the hairs on your arms stand up. Unreal.

Saw Black Sabbath in Auckland last weekend. Ozzy looked like he was about to topple over but his singing was good. Geezer and Iommi were nailing it. They had some young hippy looking dude on the drums. He was hammering them hard out! Cool show.

rd.

#104 10 years ago
Quoted from vintage4life:

Im in a rock/metal band! Im the one with the long black hair. Also a pin addict hah.
» YouTube video

Very cool!

Nice Duel Recifier

rd.

#127 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

A little love for Priest. Speed metal circa 1977.
» YouTube video

Wow, haven't heard that for probably 20 years.

You're right ... Listen to the drums. If that was mixed properly and all the Queen taken out ... You got some thrash.

Actually the drums seem to have the same pattern as "rapid fire" from British Steel.

I've got the 2 original Gull albums on vinyl, Italian pressings. Plus 2 Gull "greatest hits" albums. One is a cool double album which has both original albums in it, has a real cool cover. Can't recall the title ...

rd.

#146 10 years ago

Live from Vector Arena in Auckland New Zealand .... TOOL!

Well, almost. The opening act just finished and they'll be on soon.

rd.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#147 10 years ago

And TOOL in full flight .....

rd

image.jpgimage.jpg

#149 10 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Live from Vector Arena in Auckland New Zealand .... TOOL!
Well, almost. The opening act just finished and they'll be on soon.
rd.

TOOL was quite cool. Bit of a slow start ... Opening track was Third Eye. Then into Vicarious. Crowd went nuts for Vicarious, you'd think that would be the obvious opener.

However TOOL wouldn't do anything that was obvious ... Like putting the singer on the drum riser for the whole show. Imagine how much cooler it would be if Maynard came out front like a normal singer and really engaged the audience. I realise that's part of the TOOL thing ... But Maynard coming out and rocking hard would take it to another level.

They had a 12 minute "intermission" in the middle of their set. Which was a bit weird. Like a movie back in the old days.

overall pretty cool though.

rd

#151 10 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

They are fanastic live. You will LOVE the show.... Maynard will hang in the back most of the time next to Danny, but their light shows and Visual effects are pretty cool. They are very tight in concert and Danny Carey almost seems possessed at times (he is freaking amazing)....
My only knock on the 10 or so Tool concerts I have been too is that Maynards vocals always seem to be mixed a little on the low side...

Errrrrr see above

Yes, I was going to comment on the vocal mix but thought it might have just been this venue ....

At the beginning, you could hardly hear the vocals. Maynard had a megaphone/microphone setup and that didn't help either.

After the intermission the vocals seemed to come up a bit more in the mix. Still not as prominent as a lead singer would usually be though. Which is silly really, because Maynard is such a great singer.

rd.

#153 10 years ago
Quoted from extraballingtmc:

Death to all but metal!!!

Word

rd

#176 10 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

Dont forget Jake...
» YouTube video

I prefer Jake E Lee out of all Ozzys guitarists.

There!! I said it!!

Randy was a great player, of course. But Bark at the Moon is such a great record.

Zakk .... Ahhhhhh not really.

rd

#177 10 years ago
Quoted from SteveP3:

Butt Metal? Steel Panther cracks me up.

I've seen Steel Panther twice, once in London and once here in NZ.

They put on a killer show. As good as any I've seen.

And funny as all hell.

They're awesome musicians.

rd.

#196 10 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

Ill see your Jake and bump it with some Brad Gillis. » YouTube video
» YouTube video

You know someone is a real metal fan when they know Gillis was in Ozzys band.

Very brave of Gillis to back out and go back to Night Ranger ... It worked out good for him, but at the time Night Ranger had just signed their record deal and it was a huge gamble for Gillis. He must have had huge balls. I'd never leave Ozzys band for nothing!

Anyways, that opened the door for Jake E Lee so that's cool with me.

I also love Badlands, a severely underrated band. Watch DAG THE GIBLETS doco, someone has uploaded it on YouTube now. A good watch.

rd.

#200 10 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

Vocals were kicked up a notch when Dio was in the fold though.» YouTube video

Man, what a great singer Dio was. I was lucky enough to see him on the Heaven and Hell tour.

Dio > Ozzy.

There! I said it again!

Jake > Randy

I'm on a roll here ... Who else can I piss off?

Hagar > Roth

Vinnie Vincent > Ace Frehley

Gers > Smith. Hahaha no just joking there! Piss off Gers!

Hahaha

rd.

#201 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Oh, you likum Dio?
» YouTube video

Love Dio/Rainbow! On Stage is just awesome.

Blackmore is one of the best guitarists ever.

rd.

#204 10 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

I Have Speak of the devil 33 1/3 rpm
Weird thing is the Guitar he played w/Ozzy is the exact same one he uses now.

Tony Iommi still plays the same guitar he played in 1970

Guitar companies didn't give away free axes back in the 70s lol

rd

#209 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

The only time I got to see them together live was on the Long Live Rock and Roll tour opening for REO at the Shrine auditorium, the place where they used to have the Oscars. Nice Venue.

That would have been cool.

Unfortunately I was 7 at the time ...

rd

#227 10 years ago
Quoted from grh450:

Long time friends in this band. Good friend filmed this at a local club,back in the day
» YouTube video

The Pentagram doco/movie was some good watching.

rd.

#228 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Back in the 70s, no metal band meant more to more people than these guys. The sound quality is a little rough, but since I was there I must share. It was my first concert.
» YouTube video
» YouTube video
» YouTube video

That's awesome. Would have been great to be there!

The new Zeppelin DVD Celebration Day is simply awesome, considering the age of the guys now. They kick ass!

If you like the late 60s-early 70s era, read Pamela DesBarres book "I'm with the Band". Really cool insight to the era and the bands and the groups scene. Good book.

rd.

#233 10 years ago
Quoted from grh450:

kinda sad,when you know the guy personally

I bet!

But at least he got back up on stage at the end of the movie ...

rd.

#307 10 years ago
Quoted from SpOoKyRiDeS:

Pete way from U.F.O. and Fast Eddie Clark from Motorhead! Plus three!~ Spooky

I bought that Fastway album on vinyl back in 83/84 when it came out over here.

Was a good record! Might have to go and dig it out and give it a spin.

rd.

#308 10 years ago
Quoted from IntoPinball:

Like thunder and lightning!
» YouTube video

John Sykes gave Thin Lizzy a good kick up the ass and bought the music into the 80s!

That's a great album. I also have the double live vinyl Live Life which was recorded on the a thunder and lightning tour. Grab it if you can, it's a very good live record.

Actually that reminds me I bought a live DVD of that tour last year. Was pretty good for an 80s recording.

rd

#315 10 years ago
Quoted from canea:

All good stuff here, but you all are showing your age - a more apt title for this thread would be "Let's talk about classic mainstream metal." hee hee

The thread has gone that way a little.

I've been into metal since I was 11.

I grew up on Maiden, ACDC, Motörhead. More uk based stuff. Then Van Halen and the US stuff after that.

My current listens are Lamb of God, new Anthrax album, Darkest Hour .. More heavy stuff.

But you do have to remember your roots

I listen to the old stuff all the time too. Deep Purple MK3, Dio, Rainbow ....

When I'm working on my Pinballs, I put my ITunes on my PC on "shuffle" and it throws up all sorts of random stuff. There's 5000 songs on there so it can be anything between 1969 Zeppelin or Burn the Priest or Fear Factory.

As long as it has a distorted guitar, I'm in.

rd.

#343 10 years ago

Cool Dianno footage from Killers tour in 81.

rd

2 weeks later
#374 10 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

Some past losses.
» YouTube video

Paicey hasn't died yet ...

I really like that Mk4 line up of Deep Purple with Coverdale and Bolin.

I got a double CD a few years back "last time around - live in Japan" with that lineup and its pretty cool. You can tell they are all wasted so its a little sloppy. Bolin misses heaps of cues but when he is playing he is a very good player.

Last year I found a DVD of the same tour that included the tour to Indonesia where one of the crew members fell down a hotel lift shaft and died. The cops thought the band did it and arrested them all.

rd.

1 week later
#442 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

And grh450, too. Let's not forget rotordave.

Yay, I got a mention!

rd

#443 10 years ago
Quoted from grh450:

I'm touched.....
» YouTube video

When I bought Metal Church's first albums on vinyl, they were the heaviest things I'd ever heard!

I still listen to them ... The Dark is cool.

I really like "fake healer" from the next album Blessing in Disguise, cool song about the medical fraternity.

rd

3 weeks later
#478 10 years ago

I'm liking Parkway Drive at the moment.

Aggressive metal but a few nice harmonies come up from time to time.

Like in the breakdown of this song Sleepwalker .. Check out the guitars from 2.50 onwards.

rd.

#480 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

Is this song & band worthy of being included in this great thread?
"Rock Candy" by Montrose, the last song written and recorded for their 1973 debut.
If so, feel free to post the song on here.
Here's a few pics of some of their album covers.

It all worked out pretty good for Hagar!

Maybe not so good for Ronnie ...

rd.

1 week later
#487 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Call it what you like, but it sounds like metal to me.
» YouTube video

You stopped taking your meds again O-din?

Quickly, slam back to reality with some LOG

rd

#491 10 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

Kickin it ole school! When they I mean we had hair! » YouTube video

Nice pick. Geoff Tate has always been a great singer, and I love Scott's drumming.

Operation LiveCrime is one of my all time favorite LPs, I listen to it all the time.

I love live records.

rd.

#511 10 years ago

I don't think Skid Row have got much loving yet ....

Remember, Slave to the Grind was the first metal album ever to debut at #1 in the USA.

Awesome album. I listen to it all the time.

My favorite off the album ....

#556 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

We rock!
» YouTube video

Indeed. Dio is soooooo cool. I bought all the albums new on vinyl in the day.

Holy Diver is such a good record.

Ronnie James Dio is an immortal rock god.

rd.

#563 10 years ago
Quoted from illawarra92:

Mighty Queensryche
After being in decline for so many years, rid the cancer of Geoff Tate and regroup..what an epic comeback
» YouTube video

Interesting!

Good to see they have bought the metal back.

And they're changing it up ... Michael Wilton is standing stage left now, he's always been on the right ...

The new singer sounds amazingly like Geoff Tate at times though ... Check this out. If you didn't know (or were a casual fan) then you'd think it was him.

rd.

#569 10 years ago

Ok lads. Prepare yourself for the best band you have never heard of.

SHIHAD.

#575 10 years ago

Turn it up very loud.

rd

#581 10 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

Turn it up!
The mic d sound reminds me of my 6 X 9 speakers in my old cars of days gone bye.
Thin could jam.
» YouTube video

Looks like they're playing in the front room of a pub. Jeeezus it must have been loud in there!

That incarnation of Thin Lizzy is particularly cool. Lynott bought in John Sykes from Tygers of Pang Tang on guitar, and he really re-energised the band with a fresh NWOBHM sound ... Whereas the last few albums had been a bit dreary hard rock, the Thunder and Lightning LP bought a new heavier sound and put Lizzy back on the charts.

Sykes then went on to join Whitesnake and bought them from 1970s blues based hard rock to the metal superstars they became with the 1987 album. Then Coverdale fired him haha

rd

1 week later
#583 10 years ago

Lamb of god just announced a gig here in Auckland next month.

That'll be the 4th time they've played here in 4 years I think.

They love to tour those guys!!

rd.

1 month later
#610 10 years ago

Went to see Lamb of God in Auckland last night.

4th time I've seen them. They get better and better.

Support act was local band SUBTRACT and those guys are really good too. YouTube them and check em out.

I shot this video of Black Label .. Last song of the night.

Check out the chicks boobs and the guys grabbing them at 2.40

rd

#612 10 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

Funny thing she didnt even bat an eyelash,seemed like she had that happen before.

Yeah ... If you "unleash the puppies" in a room full of 1000 heavy metal guys, the odds are someone is going to sneak a feel ...

rd.

3 months later
#622 10 years ago
Quoted from grh450:

» YouTube video

Cool tune! Like the driving guitars.

rd.

#623 10 years ago

I've been thrashing Adrenaline Mob recently. Love it!

Their cover album Coverta is great, Russell Allen pulls of RJDio's vocals perfectly. And a great cover of Badlands High Wire to boot.

Duran Duran never sounded so good. Lzzy Hale belts it out on this song ....

rd

1 month later
#643 10 years ago
Quoted from SpOoKyRiDeS:

Anyone into "Blue Murder" featuring John Sykes, ex Thin Lizzy, ex White Snake and ex Tygers of Pang Tang guitar god? Great stuff and his "Bad Boy Live" album cranks!~Spooky

Ohhhh yeah! Sykes is the man. Tone from the angels!

I've got all the original Tygers stuff on vinyl from when I was a kid. He was awesome in Thin Lizzy, he really revitalised the band when they were on the way out.

Then he went into Whitesnake and turned them from a hard blues band into multi-millionaires. Coverdale thanked him by booting him out of the band. Dohhhh!

Sykes is still huge in Japan. I picked up some cool rare CDs when I was in Tokyo last time.

rd

#658 10 years ago
Quoted from DirtyDeeds:

A favoritest vid. Power with no jumping around.
just found this
» YouTube video

That is pretty cool.

He should have had the rhythm tone a little different to the lead tone though ... Just sounds a little muddy the way he'd done it. Imagine it with a nice ACDC Marshall rhythm tone ... Nice.

rd.

3 weeks later
#693 10 years ago
Quoted from Skrippy:

Some more of my band, Hands Up, Harry's Stuff!
» YouTube video

Sounds cool man, nice guitar crunch. And cool drumming at the end.

rd

6 months later
#735 9 years ago

Ozzy reminds everyone why they should not do drugs ...

rd

1 week later
#741 9 years ago
Quoted from Bo:

Just got back from Motorhead's Motorboat Cruise. Motorhead, Anthrax, Down, Testament, Kill Devil Hill and Zakk Wylde. Nothing but Metal for a week. Craziest cruise ever!!

You know your target audience is aging when they want to go cruising

rd.

2 months later
#748 9 years ago

New metal news ...

- The new Slipknot album is pretty good.

- killer be killed is a supergroup sort of thing featuring Max Cavelera, that's pretty good

Hmmmm that's about it off the top of my head.

rd.

#754 9 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I just breezed through this thread since it is so long. If they haven't been mentioned, Symphony X is really awesome. This coming from a guy who is turning 50 this month!
» YouTube video

Have you checked out the singer Russell Allen's other band Adrenaline Mob?

Mike Portnoy was the drummer but he has moved on to focus on his other 1000 projects he has.

Adrenaline Mob is pretty straight forward metal, but good musicianship all round.

rd.

2 months later
3 months later
#789 8 years ago

I found a sweet metal store in Helsinki, Finland the other day. With the awesome name of ...

HELLsinki!! Sweet.

Went to a metal bar in Oslo, Norway too. Down in a basement, about 20 Metallers there at 6pm on a Thursday night. Always a good sign when you walk into a bar and the first song they play is Electric Eye from Priest.

rd.

image.jpgimage.jpg

4 weeks later
#794 8 years ago
Quoted from mof:

I'll just leave this here...
Andy the genius is up to his tricks again
"A nice cookie monster duet"
-mof

The best one (IMO) is Karma Chameleon ... I still crack up every time the blond guitar guy looks at the camera and goes SURVIVVVVVVAALLLLLLL (2.10)

They're all very well done.

rd

1 month later
#798 8 years ago

Thanks for posting.

Lots of other good stuff on the guardian site too. Good review on the new Lamb of God record.

Check out the song with Chino from Deftones guesting on vocals. Deftones are coooool.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/jul/23/lamb-of-god-vii-sturm-und-drang-review

rd

1 week later
#799 8 years ago

Went to see HELLYEAH play in Auckland the other night.

It was especially poignant as it would have been Dimebag Darrells birthday.

They played really well and put on a good show. Singer was a little "samey" sounding but he made up for it with his performance.

Vinnie Paul stood up and said a few things about it being Darrells birthday. I fully expected they might play some Pantera songs, but they didn't.

Anyway, a good night out. \m/

rd

image.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpgimage.jpg

#800 8 years ago

Double

1 month later
#805 8 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Cool pics RD ! Vinnie Paul is pretty damn tough on the skins. Man I sure miss Dime.

I've been listening to Hellyeah a lot since the show. I didn't have the latest two records so I got them and they're really good.

I really like the driving guitar riffs. Makes me want to grab my guitar and crank up the Marshall. The drumming is pretty straight forward but it's powerful and suits the music perfectly. Nice one.

rd

#806 8 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I need to try some iron maiden if it's gonna be a pin. I don't feel like it tonight though.

Get a copy of Number of the Beast. It's the benchmark album for metal. 33 years old, and still one of the best albums ever made.

rd.

#811 8 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Well I fell into an internet black hole. Thanks RotoDave and mof, I finally listened to some Iron Maiden. This should be a special addition to the hypothetical pin.
» YouTube video
Love the passion they sing these mellow songs with.

Yeah, their Bossanova period was pretty sweet.

rd

#814 8 years ago

I've never been a podcast guy, but I'm listening to the Eddie Trunk and Jamey Jasta ones.

Really impressed by the Jasta ones, he has a good knowledge of the subject. I'm listening to the Lemmy one now. Lemmy sounds pretty stuffed, to be totally honest. See Motörhead while you still can ...

rd

#822 8 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Good luck trying to look away from this one...
Great song too...
-mof
» YouTube video

Bit of an AFM theme going on there ... She sure can belt it out.

rd

#825 8 years ago

Talking of lady singers, have you seen Butcher Babies? Two singers, tearing it up.

rd

2 months later
#831 8 years ago

Went to Black Label Society last night. Not a huge fan, but the show was good. Pretty straight forward stuff ... Halestorm tonight, looking forward to that.

rd

image.jpegimage.jpeg

#832 8 years ago

24 hours has passed ... And Halestorm have been and gone. Lzzy Hale is sooooo cool. And her brother on the drums was very cool too. Not super "heavy" but sweet none the less ...

rd

image.jpegimage.jpeg

image.jpegimage.jpeg

image.jpegimage.jpeg

3 weeks later
#839 8 years ago

Indeed. Born to lose, lived to win.

I got to sit in his seat at the Rainbow a few months ago. He wasn't there and his touch screen game was off. Evidently the Rainbow took the game up to his house last week when he found out he how bad the cancer was.

rd

1 month later
#844 8 years ago

Just out at a Soilwork gig in Auckland.

If you haven't heard of them, they're from Sweden. Sound is similar to Killswitch Engage I would say ... Heavy but with some great melody as well.

First up are Subtract, a great kiwi band.

I suggest you go to YouTube and check them out.

rd

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#845 8 years ago

Here's some Soilwork Video from the show tonight. \m/

rd

#850 8 years ago
Quoted from Jackontherocks:

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/video-udo-dirkschneider-kicks-off-farewell-to-accept-tour-in-norway/
This is the tour I want to see but probably will not make it to the states as he has said they can't cover expenses for what they would get paid, oh well.

You only live once .. Grab a plane ticket and go check them out

About five years ago, I figured out most of my favorite rockers were getting old and were not going to be around forever. So I made a bucket list of the guys I wanted to see play live before they (or I...) died.

The downside of living in NZ is that none of my favorite bands ever came here in the 80s and 90s. It's a lot better these days ... But in the old days, you often had to go overseas to see metal guys. So these guys were bands who hadn't been here or I hadn't seen.

Ronnie James Dio - check
David Coverdale - check
Ozzy - check
Motörhead - check
Black Sabbath - check (with Dio and Ozzy)
Judas Priest - fail. Had tickets but they cancelled
Kings X - fail. The drummer had cancer and they haven't toured
Iron Maiden - check

So point being, see your favorite bands while you can ... They won't be around for ever.

rd

#852 8 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

You had me untill Kings X... oh man...

Great rock band man. Ty Tabor the guitarist is one of my favourites.

rd

#857 8 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

Leave it up to Japan to produce Babymetal... a little weird but kinda awesome at the same time
» YouTube video

Catchy tune! The backing band are tearing it up!

rd

#867 8 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Anthrax just released a new album too, need to give it more listens before I comment on that but my faves are all still kickin ass. Long live METAL!!!

Anthrax"s last album Worship Music was their best album ever IMHO. I'm more of a John Bush era fan too, but Worship Music knocked it out of the park.

On a related note, the latest Armoured Saint album (featuring John Bush) is also very good. It is a duet with Scott Ian's wife Pearl which is sweet.

rd

#869 8 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

Technically their latest album is "For All Kings", just released a couple days ago.

Yeah, I was replying to the post above mine. Thus Worship Music was their last album, and the new one is the new album.

I haven't heard the new one yet, I look forward to hearing it.

rd

#871 8 years ago
Quoted from str8cash:

I like rotordave's advice to checkout bands b4 they checkout. I've seen all my favorites in the 80s and 90s luckily.
What I need is a list of new bands to get into.
Maybe a top 5 list of bands since 2000 to check out when I'm playing pinball?

You'd get a lot of varied answers there! So many genres of metal too, so it'll depend on your tastes.

Luckily these days with YouTube, you can check them out for free and see if you like them!

Here's five ...

1. Lamb of god
2. Slipknot
3. HellYeah
4. Soilwork (I'm checking out all their stuff now after seeing them kick ass live last week)
5. Mastodon

And as an added bonus, one band I listen to all the time but I've never heard anyone mention, Underoath. Really cool stuff.

There's some from each genre to sample.

rd

3 weeks later
#891 8 years ago
Quoted from Jackontherocks:

The Tropper is alway a favorite

I'm always a fan of THE TROPPER.

As long as I never have to hear Run to the Hills again, I'm fine with that. So many better songs in the back catalogue than that one.

rd

#893 8 years ago
Quoted from str8cash:

Maybe I'm getting old or missing the old days but when I saw them 2 yrs ago I was so bored i ended up outside the arena watching a cool lightning storm in Saskatoon.

Man, I gotta agree with you. I bought tickets for Aucklands Vector Arena on May 1, but only because they were on close out for $66.60 and I really wanted to take Danni to see them. Otherwise, I wouldn't have gone.

These days I'd much rather see exciting new bands in a smaller 500-1000 person venue like the Powerstation. Seen some great bands recently, Soilwork, Hellyeah, Halestorm, BLS, and Steel Panther are back here again in a few months (my third time seeing those clowns...) Much more exciting seeing bands from 10 feet away rather than 10 miles.

rd

1 week later
#903 7 years ago

I posted it in my tour thread, but I'll put it here as well ... I went and saw Metal Church in NYC on Monday night, at BB kings on 42nd. Very impressive.

Mike Howe would have to be one of the best singers in metal. Despite looking like a guy who works behind the counter at Starbucks, man, can he rip it out. He still sounds 100% the same as he did on the Metal Church albums of the late 80s. Amazing.
If they come to your town, go see them. They are kicking ass. They started with Fake Healer, and it was all good from there. Some old, some new ... Sweet.

rd

3 weeks later
#916 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

could I get a list of what you'd consider The Best Metal CDs?

Good suggestions by Baiter.

Music is very subjective. But the good thing is, these days it's so easy to check out the suggestions on You Tube and see if they float your boat.

Some more for you ...

Anthrax ...
1/ Worship music (from a couple of years ago with Joey Belladona back on vocals)
2/ Music of Mass Destruction .. Live album with John Bush on vocals.

Pantera ..
1/ official live: 101 proof. Hey, I like live albums.

Hellyeah .. Pantera drummer Vinnie Pauls band
1/ band of brothers from 2012, I challenge you NOT to sing along with Drink, Drank, Drunk
2/ Blood for Blood

Underoath ... Modern metal
1/ define the great line

Lamb of God ... New American metal (as mentioned before)
1/ Sacrament
2/ Wrath

Killswitch Engage .. Heavy with melodic bits
1/ the end of heartache
2/ as daylight dies

I could go on ...

rd

#922 7 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

RD...how can you put Sacrament over Ashes of the Wake ? No way mang

I like Ashes and also Killadephia (like I said, I love live albums) but I know they may not be accessible to the newer listener, especially when he said he has only just got into Metallica.

If they get into Sacrament and Wrath first, which are slightly more accessble, they can go backwards from there.

If the first Lamb of God stuff you heard was Ashes or As the Palaces burn, that would have half the people heading for the hills, it's pretty f***king full on. It makes Metallica look like Sesame Street.

rd

#924 7 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

I've never been a fan of the death metal growl, Lamb of God is the first one to make it work for me..

I'm pretty much the same. "Cookie Monster" vocals all the time isn't my bag. I'm from the classic metal vocals camp, where great vocalists really make a band.

Randy Blythe somehow makes it work for me.

I also like the growl/melodic mix type vocals, like Howard Jones and Jesse Leach from Killswitch Engage. And the singer from Soilwork.

rd

1 week later
#934 7 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

At first I was thinking no way, but Axl actually does a great job, sounds pretty good.

There's footage online of Angus jamming with GNR at Coachella, they play Rosie and Riff Raff and Axl nails the Bon Scott stuff.

http://www.metalinjection.net/av/watch-angus-young-crashes-guns-n-roses-set-to-give-a-taste-of-acdc-with-axl-rose-on-vocals

rd

1 month later
#943 7 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

The heaviest AIC song...
» YouTube video

Oooooooffff!

Way to ruin a classic track ... IMO of course

rd

#949 7 years ago
Quoted from str8cash:

Made me think of covers. There's probability 1000s of them. Anyone else have some to share?

I may have mentioned them before, but Adrenalin Mob (Mike Portnoy and friends) did a killer covers album called Coverta.

It has Dio, Badlands, Van Halen, Sabbath covers, and they are sweeeeet.

One of the best covers is Killswitch Engages Holy Diver. Kicks ass!

rd.

1 week later
#953 7 years ago
Quoted from str8cash:

Grabbed a couple of boxes of records at a farm auction yesterday. All classic rock, which is rare up here in the Canadian praries. Usually boxes of old country and polka. Got lots of Who, Stones and these classics

Haha looks like some of my old records. "Crusaderrrrrrrrr"!

When my wife was sorting out my records she said "Saxon? Who the hell are Saxon? Why do you have so many Saxon records?"

Went to another Steel Panther show last night. #4.

rd

4 weeks later
#958 7 years ago

"Pain-kwiller".

rd

1 week later
#962 7 years ago

Maiden about to go live (930pm German time)

rd

1 week later
#964 7 years ago

The Wacken videos are up ...

http://concert.arte.tv/fr/wacken

rd

1 week later
#968 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Going to see Sabbath again tonight in NJ...

They still going? I thought they were all finished up. When's the last gig?

rd

#970 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

They still going? I thought they were all finished up. When's the last gig?
rd

To answer myself, the last show is in Birmingham, England February 2017.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/black-sabbath-last-show-date-location/

rd

1 month later
#977 7 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

This band just came on my radar... awesome sound and fun videos:
» YouTube video

That's bad ass.

rd

1 week later
#982 7 years ago
Quoted from freezie:

lol pin-it i still have this on cassette , played the hell out of it in my 66 chevelle when i was 16 (1987)! love armored saint and john bush !

John Bush is the man. Love his stuff with Anthrax too.

The new Armoured Saint record is strong.

rd

1 month later
#998 7 years ago
Quoted from Milltown:

theres so many killer metal bands that are actualy talented musician's...

You only just figured that out?

The reason I started listening to Metal 30+ years ago is that's where the best guitarists were.

Now that I've heard pretty much everything from guitarists, I'm listening to the drummers. Joey Jordenson (and his replacement), Chris Adler, Dirk the guy from soilwork who was filling in with Megadeth while Adler is busy ... so many awesome drummers in metal.

rd

#1001 7 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Adler is definitely with LoG.

I know ... I saw Lamb of God play last month in NZ. Dirk filled in with Megadeth and now he's "the guy".

rd

#1003 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

A lot of metal songs start out great w/ the guitars shreddin and the drummer goin at it. Then a bunch of f'ed vocals start in and totally mess the song up. Why?

Depends who's singing I guess. Some singers add greatly to the songs. Whereas in more extreme stuff, it's just some noise on top (IMO)

rd

#1006 7 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I find it soothing and relaxing

Haha! Lots of people love it and that's cool with me. Music is personal ... 90% of the population don't like what I listen to.

I listened to that song and it was great up until Cookie Monster showed up and started moaning about something lol.

But each to their own! Embrace it!

PS to everyone, I'm thrashing the new Deftones album ... not classic "heavy metal" as such, but the vocals are so cool and impassioned at times, which makes the songs f**king awesome. It's all about the song!!! Check it out.

rd

#1013 7 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Just picked up a ticket to see Megadeth at St. Vitus in Brooklyn this Monday. It's a 200 person venue that's about the size of my living room. Should be interesting!

That's amazing ... why are they playing a tiny place like that?

rd

3 months later
#1041 6 years ago
Quoted from flipnout1:

Any fans of Disturbed out there?

What's super funny about Disturbed at the moment ...

Their Sound of Silence cover is getting big airplay over in NZ on old folks radio stations ... so they are all trundling off to the record store to get a copy of this great Disturbed album with Sound of Silence on it ... and they're dismayed to find the rest of it is full on heavy metal stuff! Haha!! I've heard a few of them talking about it on talkback radio.

rd

1 week later
#1088 6 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

IMO Testament has been consistently better over the years than any of the big 4.

The New Testament album is really strong.

rd

#1093 6 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

For the guys that shred, what was the first song you learned to play?

Would have been AC/DC ... probably some Bon Scott songs like TNT, Dirty Deeds or Highway to Hell. Started playing at 12 years old on an electric. (Never had an acoustic ...)

rd

#1108 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Still making music.
» YouTube video

Man that's the coolest video ever!

Funky dancing for the win!

rd

#1109 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Man I've tried to like Iron Maiden after powerslave and can't find anything. Enlighten me please.

I stuck with them up to Seventh Son .. that was the last one I bought.

Certainly the best stuff is up to and including Powerslave/Live after Death live LP.

IMHO.

rd

#1118 6 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

RD you should fly in for Maiden Chicago June 15th...I got a pit ticket for ya.

Thanks buddy! But I will be in Denmark in June!

I've seen Maiden enough times that I don't really need to see them again. But of course I will next time they come to town.

The Chicago Open Air concert has an awesome line up! I'm envious I can't get to that ...

rd

#1119 6 years ago

Went to a great show in Pittsburgh a week back.

Anthrax, Killswitch Engage, Devil Wears Prada, and Jasta.

Highlight was when Belladona came out with KSE and sang Holy Diver. Nice!

Great venue too, Stage AE. Good crowd, good times.

rd

IMG_5459 (resized).JPGIMG_5459 (resized).JPG

IMG_5486 (resized).JPGIMG_5486 (resized).JPG

IMG_5485 (resized).JPGIMG_5485 (resized).JPG

IMG_5500 (resized).JPGIMG_5500 (resized).JPG

IMG_5541 (resized).JPGIMG_5541 (resized).JPG

IMG_5545 (resized).JPGIMG_5545 (resized).JPG

#1122 6 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

I'm going to that show next week, who was the headliner, Anthrax?

No, KSE came on last.

But I think it's a co-headline. They both played the same amount of time.

Wouldn't surprise me if they mixed up who was last.

KSE would be pretty hard to follow, to be honest. They go hard the whole show.

rd

#1126 6 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

That sucks, for me, I'm there to see Anthrax, could care less about the other bands. The only song I know from KSE is Holy Diver and that's not even their song. Oh well should be a great show anyway.

Be prepared to be impressed by KSE.

rd

#1147 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I've never been able to figure Killswitch out. What would you recommend as their best?

Music is subjective ... as you can see by the other posters in this thread, everyone likes something different.

What I like about KSE is the guitar playing, guitars tuned to C, some really inventive riffs. And the music has a groove to it, and some melody, as opposed to being just a wall of noise.

KSE has had 2 different singers ... Jesse Leach was first, he got disenfranchised with the industry and left, Howard Jones came in, he got bad depression, and Jesse came back again.

Here's a recent show from 2016 ... check it out.

rd

#1153 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I do, who would have thought little Japanese girls singing and dancing to speed metal would work so well, remember once you take Metal too seriously it becomes kinda lame.

I have no problem with them either.

Anything that gets metal out to the masses is cool with me.

rd

2 weeks later
#1200 6 years ago

Not really metal ... but I went to see Nashville Pussy last night in a tiny club in Auckland.

Their music is like Bon Scott era AC/DC mixed with southern rock like lynyrd skynyrd. Girl bass player and guitarist. Guitarist played this old beaten SG with only one pickup and one volume knob.

They rocked hard. Good night out.

Couldn't get much closer to the stage ...

rd

IMG_5766 (resized).JPGIMG_5766 (resized).JPG

IMG_5774 (resized).JPGIMG_5774 (resized).JPG

IMG_5779 (resized).JPGIMG_5779 (resized).JPG

IMG_5789 (resized).JPGIMG_5789 (resized).JPG

#1211 6 years ago
Quoted from cycochris:

so vader are coming to NZ, in support of Kreator. im so amped for this gig! first time that kreator has made it down our way.

I think I'll need double ear plugs for that show.

rd

#1227 6 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

These cats played Indy like 3 times last year. Luckily I saw em twice. Hard touring hard riffing Nola nastiness.
» YouTube video

Man, that's good stuff! Until Cookie Monster shows up looking for his stash of double chocolate chips ...

rd

#1229 6 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Triple. Rectified.

Well, whatever the type of cookies, its pretty clear that he is pretty f**king pissed off and he wants those f**king cookies RIGHT NOW!!!!

haha

rd

#1230 6 years ago

The new HELLYEAH album is pretty rocking. Vinnie Paul is the drummer, if you don't know ...

I just got the new Mastodon album, only had a couple of listens but it seems pretty good.

rd

#1238 6 years ago

Talking of vinyl, I'm going to sell my vinyl collection. Hasn't been listened to in 10-20 years, doubt I'll be listening to it again.

Mostly NZ pressings of classic 80s stuff from AC/DC, maiden, priest, Saxon etc.

NZ pressings bring good dough on EBAY. If you want it before I EBAY it, let me know.

Here's my Priest collection.

rd

IMG_4404 (resized).JPGIMG_4404 (resized).JPG

IMG_4405 (resized).JPGIMG_4405 (resized).JPG

#1241 6 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Goddamnit I'm second. Just been waiting on something like this to buy a record player.
Entering the priesthood and denouncing metal are ya RD? Best of luck buddy.

Nah ... I have most of the records as CDs and MP3 as well. So the records just don't get used.

rd

#1249 6 years ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

Sorry, but that's horrible! The guitar riff sounds like it's on a kids keyboard! Unless it changes after the 2min mark..cause that's all I could handle! Haha..dunno what peeps like about amon amoth! That drumming wasn't that fast or technical to be profiling him. Surely they must have heavier songs then that!

To be fair, the sound mix was ghastly. Maybe they pulled a feed from the monitor mix.

You can't even hear the double bass drum work ... on a drumming video! WTF!

rd

#1278 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

See? Life's so lighter when you have an open mind and don't bitch about little things....

Quoted from AlexSMendes:

As a matter of fact, I just came here to say:
mastodon SUCKS BIG BALLS!!!!

I read this article last week, the more I thought about it the truer it became.

http://www.metalsucks.net/2013/12/06/metal-fans-hopelessly-stuck-past/

rd

#1293 6 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Pfft, only the most influential metal sound for the last 17 years.
Big Fail there cowboy.
-mof

Love them or hate them, Mastodon are putting good rock/metal out there in the marketplace, and selling out tours.

I'm not a great fan of Avenged Sevenfold, but they're doing the same.

I embrace all hard rock/metal music. I might not like it all, but the more, the better. I can generally see good things in all hard music.

Some metal guys need to ask themselves, whats gonna happen when Maiden stop touring? Slayer? Priest? They're all coming to the end of the road. Look at Motörhead. Gone.

Who's going to keep waving the flag? Only a few modern metal bands can sell out arenas...
Slipknot
Avenged
Mastodon
Five Finger Death Punch
Mayyyybe Lamb of God, but not just by themselves.

Anyone else we can add to the list?

The point is, if you don't support the new metal coming out, what's going to happen? We will all end up wearing Stetsons and listening to Garth Brookes. Lol

rd

#1295 6 years ago
Quoted from mof:

What will happen?
The other 4,997 metal bands will keep writing music and touring -- ~100 of which are great bands.
Agreed. Go to local shows. Do it now.
-mof

I'll go to pretty much any hard rocking show that comes to Auckland. I see the same people at most of them.

I was surprised at the Nashville Pussy show two weeks back though. Probably only 100-150 people there, and almost nobody under 40 I would say. The bar was 18+, but there were no young people there.

Maybe Nashville Pussy falls between the cracks a little, because they aren't metal, they aren't alternative, they are something else.

There were more young dudes at the last KSE gig here (2nd March) but again, mainly older dudes.

I just hope metal doesn't die with our generation.

rd

#1296 6 years ago

Pinside error.

#1300 6 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

I'm struggling to think of anything new and innovative in any music genre. Country/Pop is as formulaic as ever, and just like Metal, Hip Hop was also a lot more fun and lively in the 90's than it is today. Dare we discuss the age of the most popular classical music symphonies?

I concur. In most formats, we have heard it all before. There are only so many musical notes on a guitar/piano. And when someone does something innovative, nobody wants to hear it.

Shall I bring up my Avengers pinball analogy again?

rd

#1327 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Such bad weak metal.

Quoted from Dee-Bow:

I made it to the 33 second mark!

The guitar playing was good ... and then the singing started. Oooooofff!

She needs to find a singer. Fast.

Evidently the Iron Maidens are very good. My buddies in Los Angeles go see them regularly.

rd

#1328 6 years ago
Quoted from mof:

To anyone new to Priest, here are the stone cold hard facts:
Their "Black album" was British Steel, when they moved from slower medium pace heavy rock to mainstream-pop-metal to sell records.
Their first 4 albums are the best, and the rest is formulaic and very uninspiring. (which I found a way to enjoy back in the day, where we had VERY few choices)
Painkiller is Priest at their absolute worst. They are not built for speed. They are a vocal band, and there's no room for vocal expression at high velocities, and they have a top-10 all time singer... Listen to him on Sad Wings... incredible singing and expression.
Go back and listen to:
1. Rocka Rolla (warmest production of a heavy rock album I know)
2. Sad Wings (best production of a metal album EVER)
3. Sin after Sin
4. Stained Class
And you can cold stop there.
-mof

What you had with Priest is an evolution of a heavy blues band into a heavier metal band. You can follow the transition through all the albums. RockaRolla is very blues based ... and every album heads more "metal" from there.

You gotta remember that when RR came out in 1974, "metal" as we know it didn't really exist. You had Sabbath, Purple and Zeppelin (who refuse to be labeled metal at all) and a handful of other bands, all firmly rooted in the British blues boom of the late 60s.

You could argue that the evolution of Priest from 1974-1980 actually defined "heavy metal" as we know it today, not only musically but also visually with the adoption of the S&M leather and studs gear in the late 70s.

I would slightly disagree on the British Steel "black album" point ... while it does have United, Breaking the law and living after midnight, it also has Rapid Fire which you could argue is the prototype speed metal song.

And it was followed by JPs landmark albums, Screaming for Vengance and Defenders of the Faith.

(Don't mention Turbo)

As far as later Priest (Painkiller onwards, and the Ripper albums) obviously Scott Travis had a huge influence on the band, as the whole musical style changed. Again, further evolution ... if they were still making Rocka Rolla in 2017 then they'd be playing a local pub in Birmingham.

rd

#1340 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

What you had with Priest is an evolution of a heavy blues band into a heavier metal band. You can follow the transition through all the albums. RockaRolla is very blues based ... and every album heads more "metal" from there

Talk about coincidence. I'm on an Emirates A380 and they have a 29 song Priest playlist spanning from Rocka Rolla through to NostraDumbAss.

It's cool to have all the songs in order like this, you can really follow the progression from the beginning.

Really cool to hear Green Manalishi again, seriously, I probably haven't listened to that for 20 years. I almost had a tear in the eye as I listened to those great twin leads and remembered back to jamming them in my bedroom when I was 13 on my Kramer Focus and little Stinger amp ... very cool.

rd

IMG_5910 (resized).JPGIMG_5910 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#1368 6 years ago

If you want a good laugh, download the latest Dean Delray Let there be Talk podcast. He talks to Sebastian Bach about Skid Row and metal stuff for 2 hours plus, Seb is fu*king crazy. He must have major ADD or something.

No wonder Skid Row don't want to reunite with him, even though they'd make $$$$$$ doing so.

rd

#1374 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Skid Row sucks.

Mature response.

Nothing wrong with biting your tongue .. like I do everytime a video of some no hope, tiny club playing losers with a spiderweb logo and Cookie Monster spewing unintelligent, unmelodic drivel vocals is posted.

Slave to the Grind was the first ever metal album to debut at #1 on the billboard charts, and unlike a lot of metal, it still sounds fresh today. It's got what a lot of metal lacks ... a real groove. Listen to Monkey Business and check it out ... or don't, no worry to me.

rd

#1380 6 years ago
Quoted from AVH7401:

I thought the first metal album to go number one was "Metal Health" by Quiet Riot? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Yes, that was the first metal album to go #1 ... Slave to the Grind was the first to debut at #1.

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Slave to the Grind is a really heavy album. Hell, if the Pantera boys thought that was one of the best records of 1991, I can't disagree.

Indeed. The first Skid Row album leaned a little more on the radio friendly side, largely as Jon Bon Jovi was mentoring the band as they are all from New Jersey. There are some heavy cuts on the album, like Youth Gone Wild and Making a Mess, but of course they'll always be overshadowed by 18 and Life and I remember you, the obligatory ballads that all metal albums needed in the late 80s.

After the success of the first album, the band went in their own direction and Slave to the Grind is a cranking metal album.

rd

#1381 6 years ago
Quoted from AVH7401:

Metal Health is the only album I like by Quiet Riot. Anyways, on the topic of Quiet Riot, what are your guys' opinions on Randy Rhoads?

I think the Quiet Riot albums sound really dated now, they have that compressed "weasel piss" guitar tone, same as Twisted Sister, and it hasn't stood the test of time.

I think RR was an awesome guitarist, but he became a "legend" after he died in the plane crash. He had given Ozzy notice that he was quitting the band (at the end of the tour) the week before the crash, so it would have been interesting to see where he would have stood in history if that had happened, and he had left the band and gone back to teaching and playing classical guitar like he wanted to do.

My hunch is that he would be on the same level as Jake E Lee, George Lynch, Warren DeMartini and other 80s players.

rd

#1384 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Yeah they do sound dated but Skid Row has stood the test of time. Nobody fucks with Hazoff, Hazoff does the fuckin, Oh Yeah.

Hazoff sucks.

lol

rd

#1386 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

You guys have inspired me to listen to hard-rock all day today

That's what I do every day.

rd

#1389 6 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

RD yer my favorite Kiwi no doubt, but I heart my spider web cookie monster stuff, I really do. And man did I despise Sebastian (then and now), even though that gal could really sing.

And that's cool that you do! Lots of my metal buddies do too.

That's my point. Each to their own .. no need to say that it sucks. We metal guys need to stick together!

As long as it's metal (and even if it's not my cup of tea) it's all good with me.

Yes Alex, even Mastodon.

rd

#1391 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Yeah they do sound dated but Skid Row has stood the test of time

You're a musician ... listen to the first 30 seconds of Cum on Feel the Noise ... "Crate" transistor amp tones, tin can drums, hardly audible bass.

Now listen to Monkey Business ...
Michael Wagner producing, cranked hot rodded valve amps, huge drums, searing vocal mix.

Huge difference. Night and day. Even a deaf man can hear the difference.

rd

#1394 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I can't really listen to any of the 80's stuff, I didn't like Quiet Riot then or now, listen that was a strange time and so many things were deemed metal that never were, like Van Halen and I love me some Van Halen with Roth only of course, and yes Hazoff sucks.
» YouTube video

I was never a fan of QR, TS, Crüe or any of the early 80s Los Angeles bands. At that time, I was NWOBHM all the way and had all the Maiden, Priest, Saxon, Tigers of Pang Tang etc on vinyl. And their badges on my denim jacket.

All the LA stuff sounded like pop music compared to Priest and Maiden at the height of their powers.

Although I do have all the Van Halen albums, as Eddie was a big influence guitar wise. I classify VH as a hard rock band anyway ... it wasn't till GnR and LA Guns came out that I got more into the LA scene. The UK scene had fizzled out by then, there were no decent new bands coming out.

rd

#1410 6 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Has anyone already been to the Metallica, Avenged, Volbeat show? Just curious who the opener was, I would assume Volbeat, then Avenged, then Metallica.

I was driving down the road in Denmark yesterday (as one does...) and this little dark grey metallic hatchback comes along side, it has black wheels, blacked out windows and the Volbeat logo all over it.

Dunno if it was a fans car, or offical.

I don't know much about Volbeat except that Rob Cagiano (ex Anthrax) is in the band.

rd

#1415 6 years ago
Quoted from fisherdaman:

These guys are pretty awesome. More metal core but still a great band.
» YouTube video

Pretty rocking.

Tennis anyone?

#1437 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

These guys are FUN: » YouTube video

Serj Tankian lives in Auckland, we used to see him around the town from time to time.

I never really got into System of a Down, so this must be the place where I write "SYSTEM OF A DOWN SUX!!" hahaha. They're ok. Lots of my non metal friends like them.

rd

1 week later
#1454 6 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Does anyone remember Doro? Hot german blonde who was in Snakebite and Warlock

Yep. She's still cranking it out at 53. She has her own band now, Doro.

I have the Warlock albums on vinyl. They were pretty good back in the day. She was smoking hot. And she's still looking great ...

rd

#1456 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

She reunited some of the warlock band and they are Doing dates this summer, too!

Jeez, I wouldn't have listened to those records for 26-30 years I'd say. I'll have to dust off the record player and crank em up.

I remember this was the "hit" from the band. Wayyyyy back in 1987 lol. Jezzzus I'm old.

rd

#1464 6 years ago

The debate that can't be answered: which is better, Maiden or Priest?

With Don Jamieson guest starring.

rd

#1465 6 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Yeah this riff has been beaten to death on every hardcore album ever. But still keep hittin repeat

I like me some Hatebreed. I saw Jasta play in philly a few months back.

If you're into podcasts, the Jamie Jasta The Jasta Show podcast is really good. He talks to a lot of Death metal musicians, some of whom I've never heard of, but every podcast is entertaining. Lots of inside info about the music biz which I like.

Recent guests include Rob Zombie, the Kreator lead singer, Howard ex KSE, Obituary, Darkest Hour, Brian Slagel ...

I would say Jasta and Dean Delrays podcasts would be my favourite ones. The last Dean Delray podcast was with an indie guitar maker dude, he was talking about his youth where he was f**ked up on drugs and doing armed robberies and going to prison. Awesome story!

rd

#1470 6 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

I've never listened to a podcast and I aim to keep it that way.

I didn't for years ... but they are awesome for long flights, long drives ... and I always have them playing when I work on my pinballs. Interspersed with Metal, of course.

I think the trick is to subscribe to one for starters, it's only one a week. The ones I subscribe to are only 1 hour long usually, maybe 1.30 tops. That's long enough to listen to on a commute between my house and the city.

The ones I subscribe to:
- Dean Delray Let there be Talk - comedian who used to be a musician, has lots of rock/metal guys on there
- The Jasta Show - metal, hardcore, comedians
- Eddie Trunk Podcast - rock/metal, mainly old stuff
- this flipping podcast - pinball, only one podcast a month (ish)
- coast to coast pinball - but Nate has sort of stopped doing them
- the slam tilt podcast - one every few weeks
- Chris Jericho Talk is Jericho. Lots of wrestling stuff (Insta delete!!) but he has lots of rock guys and also paranormal stuff.

rd

#1472 6 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

I miss Eddie Trunk and That Metal Show. Might look into that RD, but probably not.

Eddie is more fixated on older hard/rock and metal, so you're unlikely to hear any Lambof God on there for example. He's big into 70s/80s stuff so you have Maiden, UFO, stuff like that. Nicko McBrain was on there last week, that was a good listen.

rd

#1480 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Worth it if you ever listened to Eddie trunk's terrestrial show or house of hair or any radio show, really. Chris Jericho also has a lot of metal dudes on, and I think he asks very unique questions, likewse Mark Maron

Yeah, I forgot Jericho, he was like the second guy I subbed to. I delete the wresting episodes, but the rock/metal ones are really good and he also has good paranormal stuff on there. He did one a while back with one of the kids who was in the real Conjuring house, it was really good.

I added him to my list.

rd

#1484 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I love wrestling, so I started listening to him early on, but his metal interviews are just as good - the interviews he did with Bruce Dickinson and Tony Iommi are off the charts!

His interview with Sebastian Bach (this threads favourite guy lol) was very good ... Sebastian was full ADHD that day!!

rd

#1487 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

lol I couldn't make it through that one - between the ADHD craziness, his (girlfriend's?) little boy coming over and it being fairly obvious he was blowing up the wine closet, it was too much for me!

It was a bit like that.

Sebastian recently did one with Dean Delray that was better, he must have taken his Ritalin. Lol

Quoted from Dee-Bow:

where do u watch these podcasts? is there a website with them all on it?!

They are audio only. I download them from iTunes on my iPhone, using the podcast app that comes with the phone.

If you don't have apple, they are generally on Soundcloud.

rd

#1494 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

If they do make an Iron Maiden pin they better not leave out this album, I'd like this for my translite.
» YouTube video

One of my favourite Maiden albums too. Maybe *the favorite*

But I guarantee you any Maiden pin won't have Dianno singing anything.

rd

#1496 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I bet it will have pictures of old guys on it

Hopefully they do not include a pic of Dianno.

rd

IMG_6334 (resized).JPGIMG_6334 (resized).JPG

#1504 6 years ago

Right ho Gryzzzzzzzzzzz!

Here's a podcast to break your cherry.

Jamie Jasta and his drummer do a listening party for the new Dying Fetus album. Right up your alley!!

Here's the link for Soundcloud, you don't even need to download it.

https://m.soundcloud.com/jameyjasta

Click on the second one down.

Even though I'm not into that band (due to Cookie Monster being on vocals) I listened all the way through and man there's some cool guitar playing and drumming.

Go on Gryzzzzzzzzz! You can do it!

(But you need to do it soonish before the episode goes offline and into the $$ subscription vault)

rd

#1505 6 years ago

Pretty funny....

rd

#1510 6 years ago
Quoted from MacLean:

... anyone remember Starz? Great band. Too bad never really made it.

They even got their own pin!

rd

IMG_6377 (resized).JPGIMG_6377 (resized).JPG

#1529 6 years ago
Quoted from mof:

more rock than metal:
It's not common to have a singer this talented in heavy rock/metal, period. Usually at this level, they stick with pop

Half the popular pop singers out there can't sing at all, they're dropped in word by word until it sounds good. Hello Brittany Spears.

Lots of good female singers in rock/metal, sometimes you have to dig to find them though. Lzzy Hale is great, especially live, Alyssa White-Glutz, Floor Jansen from Nightwish etc. Lots of good female singers in euro metal.

rd

#1535 6 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Righty ho RD! Alas...I was in Mehico and am still podcast free. A for effort though!

Your loss Gryzzzzzzzzzzzzzz old buddy!!

I think you would really enjoy them.

Listened to 2 today while fixing pins for my Classics Meet in the weekend.

rd

#1545 6 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Hardest touring band in the history of touring bands. Seen em the last 5 years and buy my shirt from Kurt everytime.
This years show's in Oct....fucking stoked.

Kurt from DRI was on the Jamie Jasta Podcast last week.

All the planets are aligning Gryzzzzzzzzz ....

rd

1 week later
#1550 6 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Only 37 years late TO THAT PARTY HOLY SCHNIKIES Point of Entry is a damn masterpiece

"From Desert Plains, I bring you (man) love ...."

Rockin album.

rd

#1553 6 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Such a good album RD. And so is the new Dying Fetus.

If you actually followed orders errrr I mean advice and listened to the Jasta Dying Fetus listening party podcast you would have heard it weeks ago.

Lol

I thought it was very good musically ... if they found a decent vocalist it'd be awesome.

rd

#1556 6 years ago

I have all the original LPs on vinyl ... none signed though! They've never been to NZ to sign them!

Crusader was such a great album when it came out. "Cruuuuuusaderrrrrr!"

They opened the main stage at Wacken last year, you should be able to find footage on YouTube.

rd

3 weeks later
#1581 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Man I'm loving this band.
» YouTube video

Brutal! \m/

rd

2 weeks later
#1619 6 years ago

Heavy Metal workout!

rd

IMG_6868 (resized).JPGIMG_6868 (resized).JPG

#1621 6 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

60 minutes?? Git it RD! Yer inspiring me. I get 10 min. Need 60. Was *supposed* to start that hour cardio today...funny ya post that.
So what you were at like 600 and then yer like fuck it, I got 20 more minutes. Let's hit that winning number... right?

I was aiming for 666 from the start.

I've been doing 50 minutes for a few weeks and hitting 530-550ish, so I thought add on another 10 mins and hit 666.

As the 60min mark was approaching, there was still a way to go to the 666, so I went hard out but still didn't make it. Hit it 19 seconds into the cooldown.

A hour on an Ellipical trainer seems daunting, but if you build up to it (I started at 20mins months ago) and take your mind off it by listening to a podcast (there's that word again Gryzzzzzzz!) it flies by.

Elliptical trainer burns way more than the treadmill or the Exercycle (at similar exertion levels...) so instead of 30 mins on bike and 30 mins on walker, I just go hard on the elliptical.

rd

#1646 6 years ago

Off to Kreator and Vader next Saturday night with @CycoChris

Not that familiar with their older stuff, but I'm digging the new stuff. It reminds me of Metal Church.

rd

#1679 6 years ago

Getting Ozzy to play Bark at the Moon while the eclipse happens ... genius!!

But listen to him sing! It's terrible. And why is Zakk back in the band with his stupid squealing and carrying on? Sounds fucking ghastly!! Listen to the BATM solo! Jake E Lee would be turning over in his grave! And he's not even dead!!

Bring back the Greek guy!

the end may be near ...

rd

#1688 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Zakk is overwhelmingly the crowd favorite though - between his crazy antics and BLS, the huge personality - he's the 2nd face of the Ozzy band. Jake got royally screwed over by (I assume) Sharon in the songwriting; he had to write all the songs on BATM and TUS and hand over all songwriting credits to Ozzy so they'd get the $$. He's still bitter. And considering Bob Daisley has the same story, and Sharon is ... well, Sharon..., it does seem likely to be true...

Yes, Zakk is very popular. It is very funny how he has gone from a Randy lookalike to Mountain Man since he came on the scene. See the pic ...

Jake E Lee was stupid not to chase up the royalties. He just doesn't want to do it. He has everyone on his side ... the producer, Max Norman, has stated numberous times that Jake and Bob wrote everything, and Ozzy wasn't even there for most of it.

It would have been very interesting if history had been a little different. How would RR be viewed if he had left Ozzy as planned at the end of the Dairy tour
And gone to classical music? Would he still be on the pedestal he is now, if he was still alive? Would Jake E Lees work be almost totally ignored, as it is now?

rd

IMG_6902 (resized).JPGIMG_6902 (resized).JPG

#1694 6 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Killers is
#1 best album all time
#2 is Melissa
<mic drop>
-mof

I rate Killers very highly ... but NOTB has to be the definitive METAL album of all time, let alone Maiden album.

If anyone asks me what album to buy to get into metal, the answer is always NOTB. Every song is a winner.

rd

#1699 6 years ago

Powerslave has some good songs ... I got the first retail copy in NZ and wore out my album playing it ... but it has some lesser songs like Losfer Words and Flash of the Blade that aren't as good as the other stuff. The same can be said of Piece of Mind.

Whereas NOTB, every song is killer. Even the weakest track on the album, Invaders, is still fucking killer.

rd

#1707 6 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Sorry, "run to the hills" is NOT a perfect song. It's cliche and weak

I didn't say it was perfect.

Every time RTTH comes on, I push "next song". That's because it's been played to death everywhere. As far as our local rock station is concerned, Iron Maiden only ever recorded one song, and RTTH is that song.

However .... if you take that out of the mix and go back to 1982, it isn't cliche. That song created the cliches.

I concur on the drummers. Clive Burr for the win. Awesome drummer.

rd

#1709 6 years ago
Quoted from mof:

The argument wasn't top-5 Iron Maiden albums, it was perfection.
Killers is Perfection (absence of a weak song)
-mof

You won't get too many arguments from me ... it would probably be my most listened to Maiden album.

But I wouldn't say it was perfect. The perfect album probably hasn't been recorded.

rd

#1712 6 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Dare you call out a weak track on Killers ?
Find it you shall not.
-mof

Hmmmmm find it I shall!! Haha!

I already picked out a couple before you posted.

But my weak tracks are someone else's favorites. Everyone has different tastes.

So it's a discussion that's going nowhere ....

PS I'm coming to San Fran for Xmas!!

Well, it's the week before Xmas to be exact.

rd

#1734 6 years ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

Haha..gotta admit that's a funny video..not trying to bust the kids balls on that one!

By all accounts, Danzig is a bit of a weirdo and douche.

That's why they say "never meet your heroes" ....

rd

1 week later
#1772 6 years ago
Quoted from cycochris:

i had to go to a chiro today as my necks is still buggered from the kreator & vader gig on saturday. first time both those bands have played in NZ. awesome show!

I was witness first hand to CycoChris in full moshing action. He went so hard, I seriously thought his head was going to topple off his shoulders.

After about 4 songs, Millie from Kreator goes (in great German accent...) "NOW VE MUST HAVE DER CIRCLE PIT!!" and 50 kiwis start going clockwise ... and Cycochris' sweaty shaved head can be seen being the only clown going counterclockwise hahaha

Meanwhile, me, being the "look at what the guitarists fingers are doing" type of guy, moves slowly to stage right out of harms way ... don't want to spill my $8 beer lol

Seriously, that was the most non stop moshing that I have seen at a gig. Usually it'll last a few songs then slow a little ... this time it didn't let up until the band was off the stage.

rd

4 weeks later
#1821 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Loving th Sons of Apollo album - part Symphony X, part deep purple, part Yngwie (a tiny part), part Kansas, etc etc. Lots of great parts that will synthesise together even better on album #2

How many bands is Portnoy in now? Like 46? lol!

That sounds good ... check out Bumblefoots guitar, the top neck is fretless. Never seen a fretless metal guitar before ...

rd

1 week later
#1857 6 years ago
Quoted from pinkid:

Old school hard rock/metal fan here. Not into much current stuff. Still stuck in the past

Like the majority of the people in this thread

Get some new Arch Enemy into ya!

rd

1 month later
#2016 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Alex don't be one of those Metal purist guys who thinks all over forms of music suck

Then ....

Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Dude, monster magnet (and mastodon) sucks big time!!!

Lol!

Quoted from Hazoff:

That new over the top Death Metal where the vocals are just ridiculous

Hang on! Every video you post up has some fuckwit Cookie Monster guy singing? (That’s using the broader sense of the word “singing” btw ...)

The trouble with metal in general (and I posted a link to an article about this a while back) is metal guys are always looking backwards. Hey, that album you love was cool ... in 1985! There’s been a lot of awesome stuff since then. I live for discovering new music, I rarely listen to old albums. I’ve heard them all 1000x, I know every lick and every beat.

I think I’ve figured out the reason that folks gravitate towards old music. It reminds them of their “happy times” ... when they had no children, no mortgage, maybe they had a hot GF at the time, some good buddies .. shit like that.

Hey, each to their own. Personally, bring on the new stuff.

rd

#2018 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

now while ur not a fan of my cookie monster posts theres stuff now thats stupid fast and the singing is really bad, I mean for you its all bad but for me this is when it becomes ridiculous.

If you don’t like it I won’t even click on it lollll

rd

#2021 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

smart move and please don't call the cookie monster a "fukwit"

The real Cookie Monster is a suave dude ....

rd

1B611EFD-4186-45A6-8538-14C343400227 (resized).jpeg1B611EFD-4186-45A6-8538-14C343400227 (resized).jpeg

1 week later
#2040 6 years ago

Merry Xmas to the metalheads.

Let’s celebrate with everyone’s favourite metal band, Bad News!

rd

#2042 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Not really into Arch Enemy or any of those bands but this woman has my attention and the band is exceptional, great song.
» YouTube video

Doesn’t look like that voice comes out of that little woman .... but she brings it live too.

The bass player has crazy technique.

rd

#2043 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Not really into Arch Enemy

I remember watching Wacken streaming live on my big TV last year when they came on. Alissa blew me away with her performance. She goes haaaaaaarrrdddd.

rd

1 week later
#2063 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

U mean avenge shitfold?

How old are you? 12?

I’m not a fan of that band, but ANY heavy music is good for the scene. And the heavy scene, for many years, has been on life support, like it or not.

Today’s Avenged Sevenfold fan is tomorrow’s Napalm Death fan. Or Morbid Angel fan. Everyone starts somewhere. NOBODY ever walked into a record store and said “I love pop music, I’m gonna buy me a Decapitated record!”

I bet you started with Bon Jovi. No way you’d ever admit it, but you know it’s true.

rd

#2065 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

The heavy scene NEVER been and never will be on life support regardless of the mainstrean.

It is.

When Anthrax and Killswitch Engage, two of the biggest bands in the scene, can’t fill the House Of Blues (1000 cap) venue in the middle of Orange County, Los Angeles, it is. Album sales also support these facts.

Feel free to think otherwise.

rd

#2067 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Metallica was a top 10 earning artist in 2017. Behind G’n’R! This is mixed in with Bruce Springsteen, Beyoncé, etc

Yep, Metallica can fill a stadium. So can GnR. Next off the block is Avenged Sevenfold who are massive with the young crowd.

Outside from that, where are the stadium fillers?

rd

#2069 6 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

And looks like rotordave is american

You are on to it ... as per usual.

rd

#2082 6 years ago

Ok then, to summarise ...

- all metal is shit unless 1 guy from Brazil and 1 guy from Canada say it’s cool

- every metal concert in Brazil fills a stadium - except when you do fill a stadium you’re “shit” and you’ve sold out

- heavy metal music is bigger now than its ever been

- I live in the USA

- Anthrax are has-beens

- Killswitch Engage should instantly make you vomit ... if you don’t vomit you’re not into metal at all and should wear Woman’s clothing and hide in shame

- any metal that doesn’t have a cast member of Sesame Street singing lyrics you can’t understand isn’t metal at all .. and your masculinity is questionable if you don’t listen to this genre.

- any metal gateway bands, instead of strengthening the genre, are akin to cancer.

Ok.

Got it.

All makes sense now.

I’m throwing my mature, all encompassing, all metal loving 35 year metal history out the door and embracing this new idealology.

Awesome. Can’t wait. “You suck!”. “That Band sucks!” Yeah, I feel way cooler now I said that. I’m sure my genitals lengthened considerably. Oooh mama! It’s just like I’m 12 all over again!! Amazing!!

rd

#2105 6 years ago
Quoted from doompin:

I find berating someones musical taste so utterly pointless and absurd

x100. This guy gets it.

Quoted from xbloodgreenx:

you are being an asshole and degrading to others who are posting here. There's tons of stuff posted here I don't like, but I'm not going to attack it, just move on

X100. This guy gets it.

Quoted from Hazoff:

you see PC guys rarely have a sense of humor as does anyone who takes themselves or anything else for that matter too seriously.

It’s got fucking nothing to do with being PC. It’s got everything to do with not being a cock. Didn’t your mother teach you (and Alex) that if you can’t say anything nice, don’t say anything at all?

Wonder why nobody posts anything in this thread? Because you two dicks keep slagging it off.

Quoted from Hazoff:

Listen I don't care what you or anyone else likes

Clearly you do, because you (and Alex) go out of your way to call everything you don’t like shit. Like a 12 year old kid.

Metal is the greatest form of music out there in my opinion. I listen to bands from Deep Purple and Rainbow through to Lamb of God and everything in between. I have over 1000 hard rock/metal albums.

I have every right to like KSE just as much as you to have to like your stuff.

rd

#2113 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I do enjoy irritating people

That’s really quite sad. Maybe time for you to look at your life and aim for better things?

Anyway, I’m gonna leave this thread for you and Alex to fondle each other.

For the others, I’ve created a new thread where you can share whatever shit you want, without fear of judgement from others.

Come join it if you want.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-pinside-hard-rockmetal-thread#post-4168414

Dave

3 years later
#2654 2 years ago

I’m just pleased Priest changed it up heaps on the Firepower tour. All down to Faulkner evidently.

Here’s the Auckland show - heaps of old classics.

Couldn’t believe they cranked Delivering the Goods first up - and Desert Plains too.

Delivering the Goods
Running Wild
Sinner
The Ripper
Lightning Strike
Desert Plains
No Surrender
Turbo Lover
The Green Manalishi (With the Two Prong Crown)
Night Comes Down
Guardians
Rising From Ruins
Freewheel Burning
You've Got Another Thing Comin'
Hell Bent for Leather
Painkiller

Encore:
The Hellion
Electric Eye
Metal Gods
Breaking the Law
Living After Midnight

Oh - Defenders of the Faith is the #1 for me.

Although I would listen to Stained Class most often these days. And some live bootlegs I have from around that era. Binks was amazing.

rd

#2656 2 years ago

^^ I had the same guitar as in that third video …

Schecter Jeff Loomis 7 String with active EMGs.

Best sounding and playing guitar I’ve ever owned. And I’ve had a lot of guitars …

rd

2 weeks later
#2666 2 years ago
Quoted from gonzo73:

A new band for all those fools that think Hard Rock/Metal is dead.
Green Lung, Black Harvest, the sophomore album from Green Lung, stunning guitar work.
Highly recommended, blistering classic Heavy Metal with Hammond Organ! John Lord style.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Good tip!

Like what I hear!

rd

2 months later
#2721 2 years ago
Quoted from PinCrush:

No single album had a bigger influence on my musical journey.

Same here.

I was into Led Zeppelin and AC/DC (I was 12 at the time) and had just got my first guitar .. a 70s Hondo SG and NZ made amp.

A kid at school had stolen the NOTB cassette from his older brother and we played it - it was just next level stuff.

To me, the best metal album ever released. Every song is a winner. Still sounds good today.

I guess you could draw a few lines in the sand as “genre changers” in heavy music …

Black Sabbath 1
Van Halen 1
Number of the Beast
Ride the lightning or Master of Puppets

rd

#2723 2 years ago
Quoted from BudManPinFan:

I agree with that list and would add the first solo albums from Ozzy and Dio.

They are both super cool albums … but I wouldn’t classify them as “genre changers” …

I was thinking of adding in Pantera to my list, you could argue they changed the genre in the 90s. Not to the same extent as the other dudes though.

rd

6 months later
#2777 1 year ago

Who likes some Lemmy?

rd

B3E2FA60-66C9-4D43-8DB4-BDA91E40AA50 (resized).jpegB3E2FA60-66C9-4D43-8DB4-BDA91E40AA50 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#2785 1 year ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Just kidding man ha. Everyone I know loves Queensryche but not me. SVU lookin mf lol

^^ he hasn’t been in the band for like 20 years lol

The new singer does Geoff Tate better than Goeff Tate.

BTW - just announced today. I am quite amped. My metal crush Alissa - and also Loomis!

rd

EC9932BE-19F3-40A7-AA7E-92F35FD52779 (resized).jpegEC9932BE-19F3-40A7-AA7E-92F35FD52779 (resized).jpeg
#2791 1 year ago

Hey - let’s change the subject back to Alissa

rd

B179AF63-DCEA-45EE-A8AE-F07FFDD333CC (resized).jpegB179AF63-DCEA-45EE-A8AE-F07FFDD333CC (resized).jpeg
4 months later
#2807 1 year ago

Let’s play “where’s Dave-o?”

rd

8A513EF0-0EE3-42D1-B44E-543C014772F9.jpeg8A513EF0-0EE3-42D1-B44E-543C014772F9.jpeg
#2810 1 year ago
Quoted from blastbeat:

Quick guess Arch Enemy? Haven't kept up with them lately though. I know they have a new singer (well different woman singing but maybe it's like the 3rd female to sing for them now no idea).

Yep, Arch Enemy - live in Auckland last night.

Alissa White-Gluz is the singer - she is Canadian, she replaced the original one when she retired. Jeff Loomis is on guitar as well.

If there’s a better singer in modern metal, I don’t know who it is. She doesn’t miss a note live, growling and singing, and has a great stage presence.

rd
2EA6F3E1-6A2B-4CB8-BE50-A6EE0A0FEC3C (resized).jpeg2EA6F3E1-6A2B-4CB8-BE50-A6EE0A0FEC3C (resized).jpeg6B49CFB5-1CC7-4720-9534-A9B5FA06D9A0 (resized).jpeg6B49CFB5-1CC7-4720-9534-A9B5FA06D9A0 (resized).jpeg81185DEC-C9E1-4CF0-BFD4-A552D79A84F4 (resized).jpeg81185DEC-C9E1-4CF0-BFD4-A552D79A84F4 (resized).jpeg

6 months later
#2873 6 months ago
Quoted from gonzo73:

The first true Live Metal Album ???

Almost!

Rob Halford said recently on a podcast that the whole album was recorded live in Japan.

However he said he had bad jet lag at the time and he wasn’t happy with the vocals - so he re-recorded all the vocals in the producers lounge, hand holding a Shure mic and singing along to the live tracks start to finish, all in one take as if it was a live show.

Can’t remember what podcast that was on - but it was within the last couple of years.

rd

PS: Found the same story here:

https://bravewords.com/news/judas-priests-rob-halford-on-anniversary-of-unleashed-in-the-east-it-was-like-a-catalyst-or-a-touchstone-for-many-people

5 months later
#2887 26 days ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I see your REBREATHER and raise you a The Convalesence!

Quite a belter!!

rd

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rotordave.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lets-talk-about-metal?tu=rotordave and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.