20230831_140057 (resized).jpg
20230831_140030 (resized).jpg
20230812_190743 (resized).jpg
20230812_190817 (resized).jpg
20230812_190720 (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1690511860651 (resized).jpg
20230710_223232 (resized).jpg
20230710_223345 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PhilGreg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#736 9 years ago

Not sure the OP is still reading this, and not the most accessible band to the non-metalhead, but these guys all have a big jazz background and it shows.
A semi-legendary defunct band from Quebec, Martyr:

and the full album for those who are interested:

Fans of of later Death albums should like this too.

#737 9 years ago

Some other good ones from ol' Quebec City, the metal capital of Canada.
Pantera meets Kyuss: http://blackkhox.bandcamp.com/
Megadeth circa Peace Sells meets Maiden: http://warningsign.bandcamp.com

7 years later
#2732 1 year ago

#1 Far beyond driven
#2 Vulgar display
#3 Trendkill
#4 Cowboys
#5 Steel

What do you guys have?

#2735 1 year ago
Quoted from Pickle:

Ha! Pantera is just excellent at what they did once they figured out who they were. Reinventing the Steel is my favorite…mainly because I have heard the other stuff so much. Revolution is My Name is a fucking masterpiece! The guitar riffs are Dime at his best. Pantera is just one of those bands you either dig em or you don’t….but they have a huge place in metal……completely opened the doors for many bands to follow for sure.

Got to see them live on one of their very last shows. If that tour with Zakk Wylde and Charlie Benante comes anywhere near me I'm there 100%

#2737 1 year ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

#1 Far beyond driven
#2 Vulgar display
#3 Trendkill
#4 Cowboys
#5 Steel
What do you guys have?

Over the past few days I've listened again to FBD, VDoP and CFH - really close call between FBD and VDoP but I'll stick with my ranking there.
For CFH, really strong first half but it doesn't hold up to that level the whole way and too long IMO. Still need to listen to TGST and RTS to confirm...

#2739 1 year ago

Fu Manchu! We can agree on that one (Ozzy as well) Here's the first thing one sees when they walk in my house.

IMG_20220820_081931390 (resized).jpgIMG_20220820_081931390 (resized).jpg

Well I was certainly expecting the "their stuff before CFH is better" take. I'll have to go back and listen to Power Metal too, I do remember it being a good album. The other ones before that were pretty crappy though.
As for opening the door for cookie cutter nu-metal, true.
Their last album to me was pretty uninspired and I'm not sure they would have had another good one in them had they stayed together.
Still, IMO FBD and VDoP are right in that top tier of what heavy metal has to offer.

I like stoner too but I'd argue there's a lot of cookie cutter in there of the Black Sabbath but slower and heavier category. A band I discovered in the recent years that I feel had a refreshing take is Blood Ceremony. Not sure they'd fit the stoner description but really good 70s rock inspired, with flute.

#2745 1 year ago

I thought the (very mildly) hot take was not to have CFH or Vulgar Display at #1, not bringing up Pantera altogether
I hear you guys - I in no way consider myself a true metalhead - I'm mostly into the big names (Megadeth, Slayer, etc.) and the most obscure I get is Death, Napalm Death or Carcass. And I totally get how metalheads would think Pantera and blowhard Phil Anselmo are totally overrated.

Still love 'em! I remember picking up Far Beyond Driven at the record store after school and giving that a spin, or Biohazard Urban Discipline - IMO that's some good 90's stuff and that kinda thing did really go off in a bad direction later on, but classics to me.

#2755 1 year ago
Quoted from sunnRAT:

Great Southern Trendkill for me. I was living in the south in the early 2000s and while everyone was listening to pop singers and shitty nu-metal, we had that disc on hand for where ever, when ever. Lots of memories with that one.

Holy crap just finished listening to it again. I think it's the most consistently good from start to finish. Managed to have a lot of dynamics in there, super heavy and some darker moodier stuff. Reconsidering having it at #3...
Still have Reinventing the Steel to go and I'll throw in Power Metal for good measure as well. I'm glad I went down my little Pantera rabbit hole

Coming back to the 90s stuff, again, agree they opened the door to a lot of crap but that's on the crappy bands, not on them - they have plenty of good solos, good riffs (not just chuggy-chug-chug Drop-D stuff) and even some melodic stuff. Unfair they'd get lumped in with that.

They did take a lot of those crap bands on tour with them (so did Slayer) but I'm pretty sure that was the label's bidding, not theirs.

Edit: Power Metal - done. Really decent 80's metal - corny lyrics, so-so production and some of the songs sound like proto-Cowboys From Hell. Not a fan of Phil's Halford-type vocals and not what I'm looking for when I'm looking to listen to Pantera but there's some really good stuff in there.

#2756 1 year ago

Final tally after listening to Reinventing the Steel:

#1 Far Beyond Driven
#2 The Great Southern Trendkill
#3 Vulgar Display of Power
#4 Cowboys from Hell
#5 Power Metal
#6 Reinventing the Steel

You may now get back to your non-Pantera related programming.

#2761 1 year ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

I feel ya buddy. Dime will always be a legend but Phil is just an asshole, so I pretty much stopped listening.

What just cause I put Reinventing the Steel last?

#2767 1 year ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

Final tally after listening to Reinventing the Steel:
#1 Far Beyond Driven
#2 The Great Southern Trendkill
#3 Vulgar Display of Power
#4 Cowboys from Hell
#5 Power Metal
#6 Reinventing the Steel
You may now get back to your non-Pantera related programming.

Last one I promise!
Facebook just suggested this video of Phil Anselmo doing his own ranking:

#1 Reinventing the Steel
#2 Far Beyond Driven
#3 Vulgar Display
#4 Great Southern Trendkill
#5 Cowboys from Hell
#6 Power Metal

#2770 1 year ago
Quoted from Reznnate:

I love youtube. Just stumbled upon this video from 94'. Dime was incredible.

Massive drumming too.

1 month later
#2778 1 year ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Who likes some Lemmy?
rd[quoted image]

No f'n way. New homebrew?

1 week later
#2792 1 year ago

2 legit 2 quit

IMG_20221011_193832686~2 (resized).jpgIMG_20221011_193832686~2 (resized).jpg

1 month later
#2803 1 year ago
Screenshot_20221117-063823 (resized).pngScreenshot_20221117-063823 (resized).png
3 weeks later
#2805 1 year ago

Bring on the hate...

Love the new Metallica tune!

Has a Garage Days vibe to it.

4 months later
#2819 1 year ago

Great defunct band from Quebec City

#2824 1 year ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

How about the new Metallica 72 Seasons. Lol. Yay or nay? I say there are a couple of good tunes but definitely not their best.

Love Lux Aeterna. The other 1or 2 that came out after that were decent. Gotta listen to the rest. Going to the Metallica + Pantera show in August, should be fun times and hopefully a decent tailgate party ahead of it.

2 weeks later
#2848 11 months ago

Usually not a fan of these things but this guy nails it

9 months later
#2881 57 days ago

Good times.

20240227_220729~2 (resized).jpg20240227_220729~2 (resized).jpg

#2886 56 days ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

That show was off the hook. Phil brought up this kid who looked QUITE a bit like early 80s Darrell, and had him sing F-ing Hostile. The kid could barely have been 20, and knew most of the words, and was out of his mind nervous! But he pulled it off like a boss. Phil making memories. So glad he got cleaned up and really started focusing on healing his voice up. Both Zakk and Charlie are sober now, which you'd have to be to keep things on point!

That one was in Quebec city yesterday. I think you're talking about the one in Toronto? In any case, was an awesome show, I would have taken 2-3 more songs but besides that don't see how it could have been any better.
I love the lineup, not quite the real Pantera, but with Zakk and Charlie I don't think it's fair to call it a tribute band either.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PhilGreg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lets-talk-about-metal?tu=PhilGreg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.