20230831_140057 (resized).jpg
20230831_140030 (resized).jpg
20230812_190743 (resized).jpg
20230812_190817 (resized).jpg
20230812_190720 (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1690511860651 (resized).jpg
20230710_223232 (resized).jpg
20230710_223345 (resized).jpg
There are 2,893 posts in this topic. You are on page 53 of 58.
#2601 2 years ago
Quoted from GrueLurks:

Anyone going to Full Terror Assault this year? The closest thing to a real outdoor metal fest the US has to offer. 4 days of camping, metal, and other shenanigans on a large private campground. BYOB and food, and throw down with 100s of other metal fans.
https://fullterrorassault.com/
[quoted image]

Oh damn!! I've been to that grounds for the rally. Great place. Might have to do this.

2 months later
#2602 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Oh damn!! I've been to that grounds for the rally. Great place. Might have to do this.

This was the best year yet and ended with Exodus doing the Toxic Waltz while a golf cart circle pit was formed.

Tickets for the VIP sites are already almost sold out for next year!

#2603 2 years ago

While I don't do the euro synth-metal stuff, I recently found some really good German metal bands:

Heretoir

Der Weg einer Freheit (SICKKKKKK DRUMMMMMER)

Harakiri for the Sky (Austria)

#2604 2 years ago

Relapse Records just re-released 6 Death albums on cassette, I scooped up the LEs of Scream Bloody Gore, Spiritual Healing, Leprosy, and Human. Love them, Slayer (who also just got some cassettes re-released), Rigor Mortis, Bolt Thrower, Morbid Angel, Metallica, and grindcore bands like Insect Warfare, Napalm Death, Phobia, Nasum, and Pig Destroyer.
https://shop.revolvermag.com/search?type=product&q=death+cassette*

#2605 2 years ago

I confess i don't understand the hype if cassette tapes. .. and hiw much peeps spend on them!

#2606 2 years ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

I confess i don't understand the hype if cassette tapes. .. and hiw much peeps spend on them!

I'm not really into vinyl the same way. I like all tape mediums; cassette, R2R, VHS, Beta, 8-track, etc. Outside of vids/pins I primarily collect cassettes and VHS

#2607 2 years ago

KK's Priest is out.
Sermons of the Sinner.
Limited edition red vinyl, comes with a free cd copy.

KK is back with a Vengence, with Ripper on vocals.
Great album.

20211003_140913 (resized).jpg20211003_140913 (resized).jpg20211003_140922 (resized).jpg20211003_140922 (resized).jpg20211003_141008 (resized).jpg20211003_141008 (resized).jpg
#2608 2 years ago
Quoted from gonzo73:

KK's Priest is out

I don't get it -- I thought he was done playing.

#2609 2 years ago

Well.....
It's a long story.
KK retired...... then his golf club went bankrupt.
He wanted to come back to Priest, they said no.
So he wrote all these new songs, and Wallah!!
A new twin guitar, Priest like rager of an album.

We all win.

#2610 2 years ago

I went against my better judgment and listened to the ENTIRE album.

-mof

#2611 2 years ago
Quoted from gonzo73:

KK's Priest is out.
Sermons of the Sinner.
Limited edition red vinyl, comes with a free cd copy.
KK is back with a Vengence, with Ripper on vocals.
Great album.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Too bad Les Binks isn't involved, I was curious about that. I believe he played in the early incarnation of this project.

Surprised Priest isn't suing him over the band name, guess they didn't want to bother.

#2612 2 years ago

Ya. It sounds very dated. As I'm sure the new priest album will too. Painkiller was the last doozie and that one surprised me!

#2613 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Too bad Les Binks isn't involved, I was curious about that. I believe he played in the early incarnation of this project.
Surprised Priest isn't suing him over the band name, guess they didn't want to bother.

Les got hurt or something while they were going in to record, so they had to scramble to replace him. I think he played some part in writing but he didn't end up playing on the album.

Not sure why Priest isn't suing either.. LOL

2 months later
#2614 2 years ago

So I just picked up a cheap used copy of Judas Priest Painkiller. I’d read it’s such a great album, reinvented metal, etc., but to me it just sounds to me that they are just trying to play at full tilt without pause - but without hooks, cool rhythms or melodies - such a contrast to for instance stained class. What am I missing ?

#2615 2 years ago

Everyone need some (a lot) Archspire in their life, their latest album "bleed the future" is awesome!

20211227_194122 (resized).jpg20211227_194122 (resized).jpg
#2616 2 years ago
Quoted from branlon8:

So I just picked up a cheap used copy of Judas Priest Painkiller. I’d read it’s such a great album, reinvented metal, etc., but to me it just sounds to me that they are just trying to play at full tilt without pause - but without hooks, cool rhythms or melodies - such a contrast to for instance stained class. What am I missing ?

You are missing that Painkiller is pretty much the perfect metal song. Wailing vocals, face-melting guitar solos (which are "hooks" as they ingrain themselves into your memory) and driving drums.

I don't think this album was really the time for "hooks," ever since British Steel they'd been spending way too much time trying to re-write Living After Midnight for every album, culminating with Turbo where every song was supposed to be a "hook." This was a different direction and by then it was really welcome. Most people thought this band was washed up.

Hell Patrol, Painkiller, Leather Rebel, All Guns Blazing....again, not sure what you are looking for in a metal album if you aren't finding it here. If you want "hooks" any Priest album from 1980-1988 should do it for you.

#2617 2 years ago
Quoted from branlon8:

Levi said it very well, it's a good album, not mindblowing.
After Turbo and Ram It Down, it was a welcome return to a full blown Metal album.

#2618 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You are missing that Painkiller is pretty much the perfect metal song. Wailing vocals, face-melting guitar solos (which are "hooks" as they ingrain themselves into your memory) and driving drums.
I don't think this album was really the time for "hooks," ever since British Steel they'd been spending way too much time trying to re-write Living After Midnight for every album, culminating with Turbo where every song was supposed to be a "hook." This was a different direction and by then it was really welcome. Most people thought this band was washed up.
Hell Patrol, Painkiller, Leather Rebel, All Guns Blazing....again, not sure what you are looking for in a metal album if you aren't finding it here. If you want "hooks" any Priest album from 1980-1988 should do it for you.

Thanks for that, that’s what I was after, a bit of alternate perspective. I’ll have to give the record a few more listens.

When I listen to “metal”, it’s usually Pantera, Metallica or Overkill - Painkiller seems to me to be in a different category. It has crossed my mind a few times especially after hearing the records without Halford that Judas Priest was trying to be something they’re not - namely a metal band. For me they were always a really good hard rock group with some pop sensibilities

#2619 2 years ago
Quoted from gonzo73:

After Turbo and Ram It Down, it was a welcome return to a full blown Metal album.

ok, but which album were they returning to? Painkiller seems to me to be a significant departure from their previous stuff.

#2620 2 years ago

They returned to putting out a relevant album for the era.. turbo was heavy for it's time.. but not compared to what's being released when painkiller came out. They needed to keep up with the Metallica's and Pantera's .. and 3 seconds into that drumroll you knew they did!

#2621 2 years ago

Turbo was the foreshadowing of the end... then...

I'll never forget when Painkiller came out -- total disaster -- they've been unlistenable ever since.

No metal band has "Great creative ideas" after 6 albums -- it just doesn't happen.

Isn't 50-60 songs enough?

-mof

#2622 2 years ago
Quoted from branlon8:Thanks for that, that’s what I was after, a bit of alternate perspective. I’ll have to give the record a few more listens.
When I listen to “metal”, it’s usually Pantera, Metallica or Overkill - Painkiller seems to me to be in a different category. It has crossed my mind a few times especially after hearing the records without Halford that Judas Priest was trying to be something they’re not - namely a metal band. For me they were always a really good hard rock group with some pop sensibilities

Priest is definitely metal and Painkiller is a fantastic album. For me it sounds like lazer beams cutting thru a volcano. Are we listening to the same album?

#2623 2 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Turbo was the foreshadowing of the end... then...
I'll never forget when Painkiller came out -- total disaster -- they've been unlistenable ever since.
No metal band has "Great creative ideas" after 6 albums -- it just doesn't happen.
Isn't 50-60 songs enough?
-mof

We WAY disagree here mof my guy. I know you love old Priest, but the addition of Scott Travis on drums here resulted in one of THE GREATEST METAL ALBUMS OF ALL TIME.

#2624 2 years ago
Quoted from sunnRAT:

Priest is definitely metal and Painkiller is a fantastic album. For me it sounds like lazer beams cutting thru a volcano. Are we listening to the same album?

❤️

#2625 2 years ago

Painkiller is a front to back album for me. That's how I prefer my music anyway. I'm not like my kids, skipping from song to song. Shit is infuriating lol

#2626 2 years ago

Came into the office the other day and one of my employees was rockin out to this, lol.
Austrian Death Machine.

Essentially an Austrian metal band that gets most of its inspiration from Arnold Schwarzenegger movies.

#2627 2 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Painkiller is a front to back album for me. That's how I prefer my music anyway. I'm not like my kids, skipping from song to song. Shit is infuriating lol

Yep, bands that can pull off full albums that are front to back killer, are my favorites.
I want an albums length statement, not singles or one hitters.

And.... Angel of Retribution, Firepower, and Redeemer of Souls are killer albums. Three of my top Priest albums.
Give em a try.

Turbo is fun.
Ram it Down is half a great album
And Painkiller is great.

And welcome back Grzzz, we need more rockers here that know music.
Cheers.

#2628 2 years ago
Quoted from branlon8:

ok, but which album were they returning to? Painkiller seems to me to be a significant departure from their previous stuff.

THey were returning to making unabashed HEAVY FUCKIN metal after a few years of trying to be a pop metal band.

Painkiller has a lot more in common with their Les Binks albums - Killing Machine and Stained Class - than it does with Turbo or Ram it Down.

AND they pulled off something I don't think any of the other aging legacy acts from the early 70s did - update their sound successfully without sounding like ripoff artists. KK and especially Tipton really re-invented their playing in the late 80s and caught up with the young guns. I love Tony Iommi, but it's not like he suddenly showed up in 1990 doing sweep picking face melters like the guys in Priest did.

#2629 2 years ago

Since Gryzzzz is back, a little fun for the metal thread...

I helped set up Kerry King's games a couple months ago, as he and the missus just moved downtown.

Kerry was out of town for a Raiders game but the missus is very nice and she's really into the pinball collection.

They've got all premiums (ACDC, Metallica, and GOT) and also a Family Guy. And apparently a South Park that hasn't made the move yet.

Stars...they're just like us!

#2630 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Since Gryzzzz is back, a little fun for the metal thread...
I helped set up Kerry King's games a couple months ago, as he and the missus just moved downtown.
Kerry was out of town for a Raiders game but the missus is very nice and she's really into the pinball collection.
They've got all premiums (ACDC, Metallica, and GOT) and also a Family Guy. And apparently a South Park that hasn't made the move yet.
Stars...they're just like us!

WHAT
THE
FUCK

#2632 2 years ago

❤️❤️❤️

#2633 2 years ago

They were returning to songs like.....
The Ripper
Exciter
Screaming for Vengeance
Rapid Fire
Sinner
The Sentinel
Stained class
Electric eye
Running wild
Jawbreaker

On and on......

#2634 2 years ago

Wonder if he'll be in Indy for the Colts-Raiders game on the 2nd?

#2635 2 years ago

So I can ask him about your bullshit story

#2636 2 years ago
Quoted from gonzo73:

Ram it Down is half a great album

I recently got a Ram it Down LP, had never actually listened to the album. It's got some good things going for it, on side 1 at least. Side 2 is mostly unlistenable.

My biggest problem with it is the whole album - with the cheesy fake drums - sounds like a demo.

My second biggest problem is that it has some of the worst Priest songs ever recorded. I hereby nominate "Love Zone" for the stupidest, worst Priest song of all time.

On the plus side, Halford is singing his fucking ass off, probably his best vocals ever. And, Tipton made HUGE strides in his guitar playing - the solos wouldn't sound out of place on Painkiller, you can see where he was going.

It's just too bad the material/production is so shitty. The tour was fucking KILLER based on what I've seen on the youtube, everything played at a coked out tempo and stuff like Metal Gods getting crazy ass ripping shred solos like you don't believe, and Halford of course wailing like a banshee.

I know we are getting to Farewell time, but I'll still Priest when they come to town. Halford's still got it, and the material they are playing is still amazing. Great setlist at the Shows I saw in the Fall.

#2637 2 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

So I can ask him about your bullshit story

He's a season tickets holder in Vegas (where they just moved from), so I'm sure he will unless the game is in Indy. Indianapolis is not exactly a fuckin' destination city!!!

#2638 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

He's a season tickets holder in Vegas (where they just moved from), so I'm sure he will unless the game is in Indy. Indianapolis is not exactly a fuckin' destination city!!!

Au contraire Mon Frere.
We're the murder capitol of the US; tours going on DAILY

#2639 2 years ago

WE PASSED CHICAGO

#2640 2 years ago

Yep, I went to 4 Firepower shows, and the set lists were amazing.

Including Out In The Cold was a surprising highlight for me, but they stopped playing Saints in Hell before they hit Los Angeles.
Shit!!

#2641 2 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

WE PASSED CHICAGO

That impossible. Really?

#2642 2 years ago

Firepower was SO freakin good. What a return to form.

#2643 2 years ago
Quoted from gonzo73:

That impossible. Really?

Really.

#2644 2 years ago
Quoted from gonzo73:

Including Out In The Cold was a surprising highlight for me, but they stopped playing Saints in Hell before they hit Los Angeles.
Shit!!

Saints in Hell was fucking KILLER live...was pretty amazing to hear it!

#2645 2 years ago
Quoted from gonzo73:

Shit!!

Throw up a set list homie... enquiring minds wanna know ha

#2646 2 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Throw up a set list homie... enquiring minds wanna know ha

Ok I know I'm asking for it but here's my friend and I a little fucked up and rocking out to Exciter at the tour opener earlier this year in Reading, PA....this guy was right behind us taping all night hahahaha (I'm toward the left in the grey shirt)

another killer setlist...only disappointment was no Metal Gods (my favorite priest song probably) but I've heard them play that dozens of times probably already...

One Shot at Glory
Lightning Strike
You've Got Another Thing Comin'
Exciter
Turbo Lover
Hell Patrol
The Sentinel
A Touch of Evil
Rocka Rolla
Victim of Changes
Desert Plains
Blood Red Skies
Invader
Painkiller

Encore:
The Hellion
Electric Eye
Hell Bent for Leather
Breaking the Law
Living After Midnight

#2647 2 years ago

Right after I asked him I remembered that you were at the tour. You never disappoint my friend, grazie.
Desert Plains!

#2648 2 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Right after I asked him I remembered that you were at the tour. You never disappoint my friend, grazie.
Desert Plains!

For a legacy act they do a fantastic job of switching up the setlist, even during tours. Every time they come to town they've got a bunch of "new" cuts in the set.

#2649 2 years ago

Desert Plains!

#2650 2 years ago

This is set from setlist fm, might not be complete......
April 22 Microsoft Theater Los Angeles.
Firepower
Running Wild
Grinder
Sinner
The Ripper
Lightning Strikes
Bloodstone
Saints in Hell???? Must have been in the beer line, double Damn!
Turbo Lover
Freewheel Burning
Evil Never Dies

Some Heads are Gonna Roll
You've got Another Thing Coming.

I really don't think they played Saints, but I was pretty blitzed.

There are 2,893 posts in this topic. You are on page 53 of 58.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lets-talk-about-metal/page/53 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.