20230831_140057 (resized).jpg
20230831_140030 (resized).jpg
20230812_190743 (resized).jpg
20230812_190817 (resized).jpg
20230812_190720 (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1690511860651 (resized).jpg
20230710_223232 (resized).jpg
20230710_223345 (resized).jpg

There are 2,893 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 58.
#1 10 years ago

My kid thinks I'm a tool because I'm just now starting to respect Metal as a musical genre. I downloaded the rest of "Master of Puppets" and listened to it front-to-back, and I'm pretty blown away. "Orion" is similar to the fusion jazz I used to listen to. Really love the whole album.

I think the reason I dismissed Metal in the 80's was that there were so many BAD metal bands:

http://deathscream.net/the-top-50-worst-heavy-metal-bands-of-all-time/

Plus. I played guitar pretty seriously in the 80's, and we started a band called, I kid you not, "Leather Feather". I was so turned off by the music we made, that I went back to playing classical and jazz guitar.

Anyway, I think Metal can be very good. Or very bad.

#2 10 years ago

Not a fan in general but I'm sure there's some stuff I could listen to, and very talented artists through out. Of course it would start a "that's not metal!!!" argument for many bands.

#3 10 years ago

The 80's bands that really turned me off to metal were Quiet Riot, Twisted Sister, Mental Health, etc. Really more bad rock bands, than metal.

My kid is turning me on to some pretty good stuff.

#4 10 years ago

www.metalsucks.net/2013/05/02/slayers-jeff-hanneman-is-dead/

#5 10 years ago

There's nothing more Metal than dying from a spider bite. I should be so lucky...I will probably break my hip falling out of the bed and die of complications.

#6 10 years ago

Metal can be very good, or very bad. Starting with MOP is a great idea, and you cannot go wrong with Kill 'Em All, Ride the Lightning, or And Justice For All. If you like those, check out Slayer's Reign in Blood. RIP Jeff Hanneman.

#7 10 years ago

Lived in Hudson valley NY with a band that opened for the house band, "Twisted Sister" and couldn't believe they made it big, when there was sooooooo many better bands out there. Alas..... 20 years ago, cut the hair, sold off the Marshall stacks and got a real paying job. In no order: love Motorhead, Tygers of Pang Tang, Riot (Not Quiet Riot), Judas Priest, Saxon ( new album out that rocks), Loudness, UFO and anything George Lynch. ~SpOoKy

#8 10 years ago

I will be playing some sad South of Heaven tonight.

I don't listen to much old school metal, when I'm in a metal mood it's more 90s death metal, but man, sad to hear Jeff Hanneman pass.

#9 10 years ago

OP... There are tons of great metal bands out there, you just have to dig a little harder these days. Of course there are the staples... Slayer, Megadeth, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Testament, Anthrax. If you find that you like Metallica; Iced Earth is another great American band that you should check out.

But don't limit yourself to America; especially if you like classical. There are some great European symphonic metal bands. Nightwish, Kamelot, Sirenia, to name just a few. If your in the mood for something a little heavier or more technical, check out bands like Amorphis, Symphony X, or Opeth. Metal may not sell as well as it use to in the "hair" days, but there's never been a better time to be a metalhead.

#10 10 years ago

Orion was one of the first songs that got me into metal. I could usually never get passed the screaming/singing but really got into the heavier instrumental stuff. Some of it is so complex, moving and powerful at the same time. So much so that about 15 years ago I was in an instrumental metal band for many years.

#11 10 years ago

Metal is such a broad term ,remember the Jethro tull incident.
Anyway the music splits in so many directions that it all falls under the metal description.

Metal_tree.JPGMetal_tree.JPG

#12 10 years ago

Try some Iron Maiden if you have finally opened yourself up to metal. The Live at Rio set is good.. as well as the original Live set 'Live after Death'

Maiden is like the Zeppelin of Metal. They have the strong vocals and lots of long instrumental elements.

When you go 'harder' - it takes a bit more to like.. but even the harder bands like Slayer and Pantera have individual tracks that anyone can get into.

But liking metallica is a good way to open yourself back to the likes of Ozzie, Black Sabbath, some Judas Priest, etc.

Just get all of Metallica's albums.. there really aren't any that aren't worth it except St Anger. The S&M album (orchestra) is off-center.. but there are some really good ones in there too.

#13 10 years ago

I grew up on punk and metal, I'm 35 now and still love it. We just went and saw Bad Religion in Vancouver a few weeks back, great FN show...

I'm beyond stoked for my METLE My son who is 13 is also a Metallica fan, so he's pretty pumped too...

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

remember the Jethro tull incident.

Who could forget? But the roots of this incident go way back to the 70's when Tull was one of the most creative bands and the Grammys at the time took a lot of heat for snubbing them. I think the later incident was their way of trying to "catch up with the times" so to say.

#15 10 years ago

Maiden Sabbath Slayer Sepultura Pantera Dream theater

I love the metal. After having worked 13 years in the concert biz I can honestly say its one of the best live genres

#16 10 years ago

My love for metal started at 10 when I first heard Ballroom Blitz on the radio. As I got a little older in my teens it was all about going to concerts- so many that I won't even try to list them all. Zep, Sabbath, Priest, BOC to name a few. Then my attention turned to punk. In this town that was a no brainer. In the mid 80s we all listened to Pure Rock KNAC 105.5 and went to every show possible. Metallica, Maiden, Slayer, Anthrax,Ozzy, GNR, Pantera, and Megadeth were some of the better known bands. Time flys by. Are bands like Devil Driver and Lamb of God now known as classic rock? I'm kind of doing the alt rock thing right now, but I still like em all!

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

But the roots of this incident go way back to the 70's when Tull was one of the most creative bands

Just the category that was put upon them with Metallica, was almost night and day.
Metallica is good and all but musically JT are much more intricate and skilled in their own right. Unless you want a good headbanging then early Metallica fits the bill.
Their earlier music (jt) was progressive not as crazy as Yes but a little heavier.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

Just the category that was put upon them with Metallica,

I thought it was hilarious at the time, but I instantly remembered the exact same thing had happened to Tull years earlier. Nowadays the Grammy's tend to put on a more "current" show.

#19 10 years ago

Fates warning ,Mercyful fate,Type O Negative,Misfits, Danzig ,Deep Purple, Captain Beyond ,The Fixx- on and on
So much music variety^I luv it all. Could fill this whole thing up.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Nowadays the Grammy's tend to put on a more "current" show.

Mainstream to them (grammy )is pretty much lame stream to me. Look at Rush finally getting the nod. about time.

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

My love for metal started at 10 when I first heard Ballroom Blitz on the radio.

But I never got to see "The Sweet"

#22 10 years ago

I'm in my mid 40's and I find I like the hard stuff even more than ever. I love listening to the "House of Hair" on Sunday nights With Dee Snyder, "if it ain't metal it's CRAP"! It's cool to hear songs that I completely forgot about.

#23 10 years ago

Rip Jeff hanneman-slayer

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

never got to see "The Sweet"

Me neither ^ would like to have seen them.

Deep Purple could keep up with any band, Heres a good jammer->

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

Deep Purple could keep up with any band,

I was a little late to catch Purple live in their glory days, but I did see Rainbow with Ronnie James at the helm.

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Rainbow with Ronnie James at the helm.

I wish I saw that^ too young to go then.
Most concerts I went to were late 80 `s and up

#27 10 years ago

UFO probably deserves their own thread somewhere.

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I think the reason I dismissed Metal in the 80's was that there were so many BAD metal bands:
http://deathscream.net/the-top-50-worst-heavy-metal-bands-of-all-time/

Ah man, there are some real classics in there! Heh.

It's metal 24-7 for me, and has been since about 7th grade. It must be a sign that you're getting older when the "hard stuff" from your youth is classic radio foder (and foder for pinball games). Still plenty of good new metal luckily. Revocation, Holy Grail, Kvelertak, Warbringer... \m/

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from canea:

Ah man, there are some real classics in there! Heh.
It's metal 24-7 for me, and has been since about 7th grade. It must be a sign that you're getting older when the "hard stuff" from your youth is classic radio foder (and foder for pinball games). Still plenty of good new metal luckily. Revocation, Holy Grail, Kvelertak, Warbringer... \m/

Holy Grail are awesome!! Got to see them here twice, so good...

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

Holy Grail are awesome!! Got to see them here twice, so good...

Sweet! Still haven't heard their new one yet for some reason. Mental note.

#31 10 years ago

A rite of passage on your journey should be the album "The Blackening" by Machine Head. It is a religious experience for any metal fan.

Machine-Head-The-Blackening.jpgMachine-Head-The-Blackening.jpg

#32 10 years ago

Lately I've been listening to In Flames, Devildriver, and the new Volbeat album that came out a few weeks ago is amazing. My wife loves the cover song My Body. I've been digging Lonesome Rider myself.

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

A rite of passage on your journey should be the album "The Blackening" by Machine Head. It is a religious experience for any metal fan.

Thanks, I'll check that out. I've just downloaded albums by Cult of Luna and Intronaut, after reading reviews on MetalSucks. I'm partial to the industrial/psychedelic stuff.

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from Dr_Gonzo:

My wife loves the cover song My Body.

Speaking of covers, hows this one.

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Thanks, I'll check that out. I've just downloaded albums by Cult of Luna and Intronaut, after reading reviews on MetalSucks. I'm partial to the industrial/psychedelic stuff.

Have you listened to Author and Punisher? About as close as I get to industrial these days after overdosing on it in the 90s.

#36 10 years ago

Metallica are about to play live on AXS TV...but I'm really staying up for the pin video!

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Speaking of covers, hows this one.

Johnny did damn good with that album, Hurt was great.

#38 10 years ago

Cash is an Icon ^

SOD stage dive

#39 10 years ago

They were giving away Black Sabbath tickets on the local radio station today

#40 10 years ago

I was here at this ->

Monsters of rock NJ Creeping death!

#41 10 years ago

^^^^^^

#42 10 years ago

1988 Tour including Van Halen, Dokken, Scorpions, Metallica, Kingdom Come^^^^

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I'm partial to the industrial/psychedelic stuff.

Ooooooooo!!!... In the Industrial-ish realm you may enjoy Fear Factory. Check out the album "Demanufacture" as it may be up your alley. They have a very distinctive sound.

I remember first hearing it in 1995. Mind=Blown.

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

But I never got to see "The Sweet"
» YouTube video

gots this one on vinyl

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from grh450:

gots this one on vinyl

Sweet!

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

Ooooooooo!!!... In the Industrial-ish realm you may enjoy Fear Factory. Check out the album "Demanufacture" as it may be up your alley. They have a very distinctive sound.
I remember first hearing it in 1995. Mind=Blown.
» YouTube video

Love FF, I met Dino in 98 or so. Cool guy, signed some stuff for me.

#47 10 years ago

I was here at this ->

Monsters of rock NJ Creeping death!

Pics or it didnt.....
Ticket stub to prove it,plus a few more....

IMG_3201.JPGIMG_3201.JPG IMG_3203.JPGIMG_3203.JPG

#48 10 years ago

nothing but METAL!!!

0502132028a.jpg0502132028a.jpg

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from Dr_Gonzo:

Love FF, I met Dino in 98 or so. Cool guy, signed some stuff for me.

Awesome! I've seen them perform a number of times over the years, but never met any of them. A shame about the various falling outs between the band members over the years. Then again, if there isn't strife in the band it isn't metal!

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

Pics or it didnt.....
Ticket stub to prove it,plus a few more....

Cool man!
most of my ticket stubs were like..$4.50 ($6.00 for Judas Priest)

There are 2,893 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 58.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lets-talk-about-metal and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.