Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by stevevt
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

28hend[1] (resized).jpg
    #1 6 years ago

Since I've been on Pinside I've never seen this amount of backlash over a change to a legimate pinball machine (excluding the well known fiascos of the pinball world).

Is the change from a 3x custom spinning disk mech a bummer? Yes. Does it mean Pirates by JJP is suddenly somehow worth less? No. Would this be a larger issue if the game shipped as is and issues started to arise with 3x disk mechs 6 months down the road? Absolutely.

I'll explain why, in my opinion, why I think JJP is still offering a ton of value with POTC. I did a lot of thinking about the changes over the past few days and realized at the end of it all that I may have overreacted, a bit, lol.

1. Pirates by JJP is still one of the most loaded pins ever created and only matched in terms of features by other JJP games.

As a JJP POTC customer you are still getting...

A. A large rocking / interactive detailed Black Pearl mini playfield with multiple shots, a canon that shoots across the playfield to a stationary ship which by itself offers a couple ranges of motion, integration with a lock down bar button and can be accessed through multiple shots. Theres even LED lit laterns on it. The mini playfield alone on POTC is more interactive and complex then 99% of pins toys.

B. A treasure chest physical ball lock that is integrated with a fork ramp.

C. Two subways, one of which offers 5 entrances.

D. Magnet area for mode selection

E. Star Map LED constellation toy

F. Two outlane ball saves

G. Tortuga Tom spinning pirate

H. Maelstrom ramp with diverter.

I. The new single spinning disk mech

J-Z (lol). Other features including color GI, camera (which likely will have innovative uses), LE models including invisiglass, shaker motor, high quality powder coat, external volume control, etc.

2. The amount of software, animation and audio work going into POTC is only matched by other JJP games. Without software any pinball machine is just a box lights. Deep and rich quality software adds value to a game. Other companies can offer cool layouts but at the end of the day it's the software that brings a layout to life and gives it legs for years to come.

A. 125 modes, 5 movie multiballs, 5 mini wizard modes and 1 super wizard mode designed by the greatest objective based pinball programmer of all time, Keith Johnson.

B. Industry leading HD LCD animations. No one else in pinball is matching the quality of JP's animation work. There is not another company offering the same level of animation quality. The new 3x map animations by JP are incredible and are a testament to JJP's desire to offer the highest quality pinball machines.

So let's all take a step back, look at everything the game is offering, watch the live stream Wednesday with the new spinning disk map, ideally play an updated game and then make a purchase decision.

Oh, check out at least the first half hour of Straight Down the Middles latest episode. Zach and Greg make some great points about the change which provide different perspectives on the situation. It helped change my own perspective about this topic.

#2 6 years ago

The disc was a cool idea and a major feature. I think a lot of people were intrigued by it. Unfortunately it didn't seem to work out for JJP as they had hoped but how they integrated it now is just visually poor (imho). I can see how some would be turned off.

#3 6 years ago

Another thread...

#4 6 years ago

OMG.

They kept Tortuga Tom spinning pirate (aka Item G), so all is well folks.

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from mittens:

The disc was a cool idea and a major feature. I think a lot of people were intrigued by it. Unfortunately it didn't seem to work out for JJP as they had hoped but how they integrated it now is just visually poor (imho). I can see how some would be turned off.

Agree 100%. I hope JJP at least changes the decal being used as it's not visually appealing and doesn't blend well into the rest of the playfields artwork.

#6 6 years ago

They didn’t just remove a feature. They removed it and replaced it with something that actually really hurts the overall art package of the game. It is the centerpiece of the pf art package.

Let’s be honest here, it whatever they replaced it with looked great I don’t think you would see so many pissed off customers.

Maybe if the trunk worked as planned it would lessen the blow a bit too although I don’t see that as a major issue.

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Agree 100%. I hope JJP at least changes the decal being used as it's not visually appealing and doesn't blend well into the rest of the playfields artwork.

If they only plan on changing the pizza/barf sticker, I don't believe that will help.

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Is the change from a 3x custom spinning disk mech a bummer? Yes. Does it mean Pirates by JJP is suddenly somehow worth less? No. Would this be a larger issue if the game shipped as is and issues started to arise with 3x disk mechs 6 months down the road? Absolutely.

Did we really need another thread on this considering we already have at least two too many? No. Are the total shitstorm and hurt feelings at least consistent with Pinside's overreaction to everything? Yes. Will the JJP fanboys eventually suck it up and buy Pirates anyway? Absolutely. Am I considering getting sushi for lunch today? You bet!!!!

#9 6 years ago

The definition of the term "The Last Straw" by ASOA!

1. Remove the real actors likenesses from the movie you are basing the game around.
    2. No audio from all of the iconic actors that make POTC what it is today.
    3. Remove all music that was used for the movie.
    4. Remove one of the most iconic parts of the game. Randomizing countless options is what made this game so unique. Watching the NEW TO MARKET 3 discs choose your path was a huge selling part to keep me excited about the game. Especially since #1.2and 3 was already a huge let down.
    5. Remove a big part of an interactive toy. The trunk opening and closing. I have a very tough time believing a company as big as JJP with all of there incredible talent can't make a trunk lid open and close on command.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Will JJPOTC still be a good game YES! will it be a justified 9,500 or 12,500 purchase.
    That is for the community to decide for themselves. Personally I'm sick and tired of paying premium prices on pins with amazing licenses and getting shafted by all of the bad deals that were made. If it is a licensed pin get everything from the entire license or PASS!!!!!!!!!!
    Next year when a company says we have JAWS or Back to the Future or Harry Potter I want the characters and the scenes from the movie. I want the music from the movie. That is why we are buying a game with that theme... Prices are high enough on pinball to support these must haves!!!!

I think that JJP can do a good enough work around on the newly stated missing features however they still have missed the mark on acquiring enough of the license to keep me excited about the game.

I said work around not reach...

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from ASOA:

1. Remove the real actors likenesses from the movie you are basing the game around.
    4. Remove one of the most iconic parts of the game. Randomizing countless options is what made this game so unique. Watching the NEW TO MARKET 3 discs choose your path was a huge selling part to keep me excited about the game. Especially since #1.2and 3 was already a huge let down.
    5. Remove a big part of an interactive toy. The trunk opening and closing. I have a very tough time believing a company as big as JJP with all of there incredible talent can't make a trunk lid open and close on command.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Will JJPOTC still be a good game YES! will it be a justified 9,500 or 12,500 purchase.
    That is for the community to decide for themselves. Personally I'm sick and tired of paying premium prices on pins with amazing licenses and getting shafted by all of the bad deals that were made. If it is a licensed pin get everything from the entire license or PASS!!!!!!!!!!
    Next year when a company says we have JAWS or Back to the Future or Harry Potter I want the characters and the scenes from the movie. I want the music from the movie. That is why we are buying a game with that theme... Prices are high enough on pinball to support these must haves!!!!
    I think that JJP can do a good enough work around on the newly stated missing features however they still have missed the mark on acquiring enough of the license to keep me excited about the game.

AMEN!!

#11 6 years ago

I am sure the game will still be good, but not $9500 or even $9000 good.
    The individual buyers get to make that value decision for themselves though.

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from ASOA:

I can't help but to agree with a lot of your points. I'm sorry for creating another thread but I thinks it's worth it when we get a comment like the one you posted.

With JJP not having the rights to use the actors audio and video from the 5 films the pin has to rely more on its features. The features of the game are what made me, and many others, preorder the game in the first place. When you pull one of those features out this pin cannot fall back on other things such as licensed actor audio and video assets.

Personally I would not make a licnesed pin unless I had the ability to at least use the actors voices and actor video. I think one reason why a game like Dialed In is in part such as great pin as it's an original design with no license issues as the game can have every asset needed from audio, video, rules, etc created for its world.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lets-take-a-step-back-regarding-potc-changes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.